Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warplain
Nov 19, 2018

I’ve been a team lead for the last 1.5 years at my current organization ~150 employees. A company I actually value and like and respect upper management of.

I was just offered a director position overseeing all of IT operations; they know my background is from a technical track.

Any suggested reading material? I'm inclined to accept - the organization culture is solid, constant but measured growth, and generally seems like as good a place as any to make that career move.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Not from a study perspective but highly recommend the Phoenix Project. It was suggested to me when I first got into IT Management and it was really valuable

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Out of the Crisis - Deming

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Can anyone recommend a good on-call system that fits our criteria? To give some context we're a small group that is currently rotating individuals every week to be on call. We have a phone number that the company knows to call after-hours, which then forwards to the on-call person's cell. This hasn't been working out well at all due to turnover, plus having to be on-call kind of sucks for work/life balance. Given that we're a small group, we end up having to do it more frequently. My boss wants me to come up with a new solution, and what I came up with sounded good to him but we just need software that will handle this. We want to have a procedure like this:

1. User calls after-hours number for emergencies and leaves a voicemail with details about the issue.
2. Voicemail is then sent to everybody who works Tier 1 + a transcription emailed to Tier 1.
3. If Tier 1 does not acknowledge the message after X hours, it gets escalated to Tier 2.
4. If Tier 2 does not acknowledge after X hours it gets escalated to management, etc.

This way, on-call no longer resides with just a single person and gives us more time to respond.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
PagerDuty? Or one of its competitors? If you are real cheap there are some self hosted ones that you can run that make calls/texts using twillo.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

Weaponized Autism posted:

Can anyone recommend a good on-call system that fits our criteria? To give some context we're a small group that is currently rotating individuals every week to be on call. We have a phone number that the company knows to call after-hours, which then forwards to the on-call person's cell. This hasn't been working out well at all due to turnover, plus having to be on-call kind of sucks for work/life balance. Given that we're a small group, we end up having to do it more frequently. My boss wants me to come up with a new solution, and what I came up with sounded good to him but we just need software that will handle this. We want to have a procedure like this:

1. User calls after-hours number for emergencies and leaves a voicemail with details about the issue.
2. Voicemail is then sent to everybody who works Tier 1 + a transcription emailed to Tier 1.
3. If Tier 1 does not acknowledge the message after X hours, it gets escalated to Tier 2.
4. If Tier 2 does not acknowledge after X hours it gets escalated to management, etc.

This way, on-call no longer resides with just a single person and gives us more time to respond.

PagerDuty, xMatters, and OpsGenie do exactly what you describe. You can define a workflow to escalate up the chain just like your example. Each solution will offer phone, SMS, or e-mail alerts. Each one is expensive though with a monthly fee per user.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
We went from using nothing to ops genie and it’s been great so far. Their pricing has improved as well since the Atlassian purchase.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

LochNessMonster posted:

Working in IT 3.0: family tech support; The harshest SLA of all.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

warplain posted:

I’ve been a team lead for the last 1.5 years at my current organization ~150 employees. A company I actually value and like and respect upper management of.

I was just offered a director position overseeing all of IT operations; they know my background is from a technical track.

Any suggested reading material? I'm inclined to accept - the organization culture is solid, constant but measured growth, and generally seems like as good a place as any to make that career move.
My current pile of recommended books for people in tech new to leadership, in reading order:

The Manager's Path by Camille Fournier
High Output Management by Andy Grove
Turn the Ship Around! by David Marquet
Radical Candor by Kim Scott
The No rear end in a top hat Rule by Bob Sutton
The Goal by Eliyahu Goldratt (or you can read The Phoenix Project, the messages are interchangeable)
Escaping the Build Trap by Melissa Perri
Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin
Out of the Crisis by W. Edwards Deming
Start With Why by Simon Sinek

e: also The Five Dysfunctions of a Team by Patrick Lencioni

This looks like a big list, but most of these books are on the order of 200-250 pages, and you can get through one or two a week with no problem. (If you're the kind of person who takes notes as you read business books, don't do this with these; you'll get more out of it by reading the books, synthesizing information, then doing a full re-read of your favorites in six months or a year to pick up what you missed.)

Here's some deeper stuff on supporting skills:

Making Things Happen by Scott Berkun
Continuous Delivery by Jez Humble
The Design of Everyday Things by Don Norman
Crucial Conversations by Kerry Patterson, et al.
Strategic Project Management Made Simple by Terry Schmidt
Scrum by Jeff Sutherland

Any of these would be pretty good candidates for an SH/SC book club read-through. Any takers?

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 13, 2019

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Our workplace basically lives by Radical Candor.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I’ll vote for turning the ship around or the no rear end in a top hat rule.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Scrum looks interesting but i'm fine with any.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
PagerDuty appeals to me - we currently do 1 week in 8 and we cover 5 sites - each of us only knows our 'home' site so everyone hates being on call because 80% of the time you get a call and you know very little about it as you've never worked at the site the person is calling about.

I wonder if I can sell that system to my team:

1st call goes to "home site" person on the rota, 2nd tier goes to the rest of the team for support if the homer doesn't respond, 3rd tier goes to management.

I think my peers would perceive it as "I am only really on call for my own site, which I am confident in supporting, and if am not available, then I can get the odd bit of cover from my peers"

which is better than "80% of the time I have no idea how to deal with the call as it's irrelevant to me"

I also satisfy my boss' dilemma of "there must be cover"

we do get paid a premium for out of hours but I think most of us would rather have less calls than the money so I am onto a winner there!

Thanks!

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Thanks guys; this is really helpful!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ah, family tech support; The harshest SLA of all.

Working in IT 3.0: ah family tech support; The harshest SLA of all.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
When does IT finally get a new thread title someone please do the needful and revert back to the team

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My dad passed away last year so that’s at least one less person I have to support.

Then again now I have to help out my mother a lot more now.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

devmd01 posted:

My dad passed away last year so that’s at least one less person I have to support.

Then again now I have to help out my mother a lot more now.

The load never decreases. It just gets balanced between less people.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Welp, didn't get that job. FML. I have a couple phone calls set up for crappy positions in the interim at least. And I'm going to apply for an underpaid website manager position because maybe after 6 months to a year I'll be able to spin that experience into real web dev.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Based on what I've read, your current job sounds like its better for career growth than being an underpaid website manager.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Sucks to hear you didn’t get the job. Did they tell you why?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Methanar posted:

Based on what I've read, your current job sounds like its better for career growth than being an underpaid website manager.

No, because if I go back there I'll have another nervous breakdown. My psychiatrist said it sounds like I'm not capable of doing the job right now.

They said that they just had better candidates, I asked for specific feedback and asked if they had any openings for the M-F shift (this was a weekend shift). If I'm very lucky I could get that, but I'm not holding my breath.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

When does IT finally get a new thread title someone please do the needful and revert back to the team
New titles for IT threads are a cost center. New titles for Sales and Marketing threads drive shareholder value and executive compensation, which is our priority this quarter.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

On the plus side I just found and applied for a job similar to what I have been doing with some bonus JS and hopefully actually using SQL this time (like I've said the past two times I've used jobs that were supposed to involve SQL). It might pay a bit less since it's in a cheaper area, but OTOH it's also a ~10 minute shorter commute each way along less busy roads.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

First day on the job and the three people besides me that make up the IT department are super chill and the rest of the atmosphere is super chill AND I'm actually being paid a livable wage to be a computer janitor!

When does the other shoe drop?

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Defenestrategy posted:

First day on the job and the three people besides me that make up the IT department are super chill and the rest of the atmosphere is super chill AND I'm actually being paid a livable wage to be a computer janitor!

When does the other shoe drop?

Whenever it'd be particularly inconvenient for you to leave.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

First day at the new job, the amount of people taking passwords from users was, frankly, astonishing and scary.

Also, their password system leaves a lot to be desired (ask me about onedrive drives with excel docs full of passwords wtf)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

MF_James posted:

First day at the new job, the amount of people taking passwords from users was, frankly, astonishing and scary.

Also, their password system leaves a lot to be desired (ask me about onedrive drives with excel docs full of passwords wtf)
Wait maybe a month or two, then start pushing for KeePass and LAPS. Especially if they're financial or healthcare.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanatosian posted:

Wait maybe a month or two, then start pushing for KeePass and LAPS. Especially if they're financial or healthcare.

Neither, but I'm definitely going to push for a password vault of some kind, that poo poo is crazy.

It's an MSP though so yeah, but christ my last place had it more together than this.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

MF_James posted:

Neither, but I'm definitely going to push for a password vault of some kind, that poo poo is crazy.

It's an MSP though so yeah, but christ my last place had it more together than this.

They've got unencrypted client passwords sitting in an Excel file?

I would lose my loving poo poo if I were a client and I found that out. Especially if I found it out the hard way.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Thanatosian posted:

They've got unencrypted client passwords sitting in an Excel file?

I would lose my loving poo poo if I were a client and I found that out. Especially if I found it out the hard way.

:same:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

(Hope this is the right thread)

Notepad has been acting up since the latest update for me. When using word wrap the last word on the line splits off like 'Acropolis' becoming 'Acrop
olis'

How do I fix this it's driving me insane.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Stop using notepad

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Use Notepad++

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Fool posted:

Stop using notepad

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Comedy emacs option

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Our IT department over the next 4 days are running an Event.

We're losing 3 guys to run the mixing board, lights, powerpoints, do the mic'ing.

This is going to go poorly.

---

Also, around 8:30pm last night, I evidently became the one guy the CEO would trust with his super secret powerpoint slide deck, so I could fix the slides, animations, compress photos and integrate it into the main slide deck of the day.

I've opened powerpoint once before, that's about it. Got to sleep around 1am, headed back now at 5, event starts at 8am.

I love the IT field.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Hopefully you slipped in goatse into that powerpoint because gently caress that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

DigitalMocking posted:

Our IT department over the next 4 days are running an Event.

We're losing 3 guys to run the mixing board, lights, powerpoints, do the mic'ing.

This is going to go poorly.

---

Also, around 8:30pm last night, I evidently became the one guy the CEO would trust with his super secret powerpoint slide deck, so I could fix the slides, animations, compress photos and integrate it into the main slide deck of the day.

I've opened powerpoint once before, that's about it. Got to sleep around 1am, headed back now at 5, event starts at 8am.

I love the IT field.

At least you got to make sure there was no 4k video embedded into it before the presentation! Just imagine trying to help his executive assistant edit that thing....