Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Jesus, I didn't realise I was going to touch such a nerve.

I thought someone with more knowledge of Nintendo's previous strategies might be able to educate me. When one of the million DS upgrades came out, did it make new DS's more expensive or were they the same price, making the exisiting DS cheaper? Did the same thing happen with the 3DS?

Look Sir Droids posted:

He might mean the rumored hardware upgrade.

Yes, this is what I was referring to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ah the switch 2

No that’s my gaming laptop

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Looten Plunder posted:

I want to buy a Switch but I'm having trouble justifying the cost. Seriously, this thing is $100 more than the PS4 I bought nearly a year ago.

When is this Switch 2 coming out? Will it be more expensive or will it come in at the same price point making the Switch 1 cheaper?

There have been no announcements or credible rumors about a Switch successor’s price, release date, or existence, so your guess is as good as ours.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Looten Plunder posted:

I thought someone with more knowledge of Nintendo's previous strategies might be able to educate me. When one of the million DS upgrades came out, did it make new DS's more expensive or were they the same price, making the exisiting DS cheaper? Did the same thing happen with the 3DS?

You yourself said you can't justify the price. Don't know what you want us to say. Either buy it or don't.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Looten Plunder posted:

The best educated guess would be late this year at the earliest.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
OK Thanks. Sorry, I thought I read an article a week or so ago about them releasing one with a better screen and battery or something. It must have been a bunch of speculation that I interpreted as news

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m predicting they go the 3DS route and release a “New” Switch that’s got better memory/graphics, sleeker screen and joy cons, and costs $350. OG Switch drops to $250. Game Devs can choose to make their game New Switch only or backwards compatibility at reduced resolution or something.

If it’s not out for Christmas, we get the N64 Classic or Gameboy Classic.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Looten Plunder posted:

OK Thanks. Sorry, I thought I read an article a week or so ago about them releasing one with a better screen and battery or something. It must have been a bunch of speculation that I interpreted as news

Moke likely speculation intentionally disguised as news.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Looten Plunder posted:

You complained that a piece of hardware that’s less than 2 years old is more expensive than a piece of hardware that’s nearly 6 years old. And you’re surprised that people mocked you?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

American McGay posted:

You yourself said you can't justify the price. Don't know what you want us to say. Either buy it or don't.

Which is why I was asking about new version, meaning there might be a price drop on the horizon that I could justify.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Look Sir Droids posted:

He might mean the rumored hardware upgrade.

I guess but the switch isn't two years old and Wii lived for six years.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
to switch or not to switch...

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Couldn't you just save some money and buy it later? I mean lol at having money but obviously there is a price point, at which, you are willing to spend on a switch

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Looten Plunder posted:

Which is why I was asking about new version, meaning there might be a price drop on the horizon that I could justify.
The price will drop in the future. I guarantee it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I predict that if there is a Switch revision it's just be purely internal stuff like better battery, sturdier Joy-Cons, etc. It will look exactly the same and it'll just make it a so you have to check the serial number when buying a used Switch to make sure you're getting one of the newer one

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Never buy technology. It will always get cheaper.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it comes down to value more than raw price for me. I'm old, have no friends that game anymore and have limited time to play so I don't want to drop $600 on something only to find out I put 30 hours into it and then it sits unused and collects dust (see also, my Wii and DS purchases).

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

JBP posted:

I guess but the switch isn't two years old and Wii lived for six years.

Just Dance Switch 2029 confirmed.

All I know is they won't release a Switch revision that doesn't fit with the dock or Joycons already released. I can see one with a smaller bezel or 1080p screen but that's about it. Bet.

Switch Too will probably be two X1s taped together.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 15, 2019

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm pretty happy with the Switch's visuals in portable so I'd rather see an upgraded dock with a GPU to hit higher resolution/frame rates. It'd be a more straight forward upgrade than a rebuy and I'd notice it a lot more on the bigger screen anyway.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
An upgraded switch seems like an instant buy for me with how cheap it already is.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

A Switch XL with a ~14" screen is the only variant I'd bet interested in. A Switch is already too large for me to consider it portable beyond "I can play this in more than one room of my house", so a big tabletop only version would be perfect. Especially if I mounted it above my bed.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I just got the birthday discount email!
30% off...
but only on select titles...
for 3DS and WiiU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mahoning posted:

You complained that a piece of hardware that’s less than 2 years old is more expensive than a piece of hardware that’s nearly 6 years old. And you’re surprised that people mocked you?

Age isn’t the sole determinant of the price of a device so I don’t know why you’re so determined to make that guy feel like an idiot. He was just asking a question.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Over There posted:

An upgraded switch seems like an instant buy for me with how cheap it already is.

same, I don't even care if it pisses off other people or alienates current users. It's a bit selfish sure but I can afford an incremental upgrade every few years, give it to me, nintendo!!

Not that I'm unhappy with the current visuals but imagine if this puppy could run more high fidelity games at a guaranteed 60fps? Or if it could stack up with the ps4 regular when docked?? I'd also be happy with better battery life I guess. Overall though I am happy with the screen, the form factor, the controls themselves, etc, which is saying a lot for a nintendo portable

also

Weedle posted:

He was just asking a question.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 15, 2019

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

If you wait until the climate death of the earth, you can pry a Nintendo Switch from a skeleton's grip for free.

Amorphous Abode fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 15, 2019

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Looten Plunder posted:

Yeah, it comes down to value more than raw price for me. I'm old, have no friends that game anymore and have limited time to play so I don't want to drop $600 on something only to find out I put 30 hours into it and then it sits unused and collects dust (see also, my Wii and DS purchases).

As a 3DS owner, there are a couple games I really get into but I end up just letting it sit in a drawer.

You'd be surprised how much gaming you can really get out of the Switch with portable and tabletop modes. Like, it takes a good bit for me to find some time to sit down and play my PS4 or PC, but I can just chill in bed when I'm winding down and play some Katamari or grab a couple moons in Odyssey.

It's worth considering, because the novelty has actually helped me with some of my backlog.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Yeah I was totally one of those "that thing is going to sit in the dock and never leave the house" but even without commuting or using public transport I play it portable a surprising amount, either in waiting rooms, in bed, or on the couch when someone else is using the TV.

Never had a 3DS/2DS though. Thinking about picking up a 2DSXL and :filez:ing it to see what that was about now that it's pretty much done.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Seriously, this thing is $100 more than the PS4 I bought nearly a year ago.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The PS4 was released in 2013 though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

American McGay posted:

Seriously, this thing is $100 more than the PS4 I bought nearly a year ago.

That's very expensive, I wouldn't buy one.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Imagined posted:

Yeah I was totally one of those "that thing is going to sit in the dock and never leave the house" but even without commuting or using public transport I play it portable a surprising amount, either in waiting rooms, in bed, or on the couch when someone else is using the TV.

Never had a 3DS/2DS though. Thinking about picking up a 2DSXL and :filez:ing it to see what that was about now that it's pretty much done.

Browse Sa-Mart or Facebook Marketplace/Craigslist if you're in a major city. you can probably find a *New* 3ds/XL or 2DS XL for a hefty discount if you don't want to pay full retail.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I could justify spending $200 on a PS4 in 2018 but not $300 on a Switch in 2019.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

American McGay posted:

I could justify spending $200 on a PS4 in 2018 but not $300 on a Switch in 2019.
Cool story

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I let my 3DS sit a lot, but that is absolutely not the case with the Switch.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm not american but the ps4 looks to be $299 on amazon.com

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I'm not american but the ps4 looks to be $299 on amazon.com

The base model droped to $200 with a game included for Black Friday. There are definitely good deals to be had on them.

Has the Switch itself ever gone on sale? One of the most annoying parts of owning a Nintendo console is that it's rare for their first-party titles to drop in price. You never see the same types of sales you see on PC or PS4, which can make the cost of ownership very high if you're cost-conscious.

EDIT: It looks like there were some decent Switch deals last year, including the system for $239.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 15, 2019

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

il serpente cosmico posted:

The base model droped to $200 with a game included for Black Friday. There are definitely good deals to be had on them.

Yeah I jumped on that deal, one of the best black friday deals in the history of gaming imo. Spiderman was pretty dope, I was not expecting to enjoy it that much

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

il serpente cosmico posted:

I'm also not a time traveller.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

KingSlime posted:

Yeah I jumped on that deal, one of the best black friday deals in the history of gaming imo. Spiderman was pretty dope, I was not expecting to enjoy it that much

I got the PSVR bundle with Astrobot and Moss for $200, and it was money well spent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I'm also not a time traveller.

The OP said that he bought his console last year; I was merely explaining that PS4s can be had for cheap if you wait for a deal, my dude.