Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

That’s the point! Use that bass and make it your own!

so this makes me more cool then, nice. Will do.

e: I picked up the bass four years ago this Jan. It's such an integral part of my life, such a part of my daily or weekly life, such a highlight, than I can't imagine never having done so.

Thanks bass!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Shageletic posted:

man I'm already noticing alot of scratches on the pickup guard of my Siri.

You did take the plastic off, right?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DrChu posted:

lol I'll get back to you when I get home. It would explain alot.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

DrChu posted:

Came here to say that. I'm old enough to remember when that crap started showing up on things. It was never consistent, so some stuff had it and some didn't. You'd scratch your brand new remote or instrument or gadget or whatever all the time--often with your fingernail. Then, after you are disgusted with how cheaply crap is made nowadays, you'd notice that something was peeling off of the formerly shiny surface... and it's this weird, stick-once plastic film. You'd pull it off, and then everything is looking new again.

On appliances, it's usually blue, because appliance makers don't hate you like everyone else does.

The annoying thing about basses is that they apply this film prior to setting the fasteners, so if you have a pickguard that screws down, you may have to back off the screws to remove all the plastic. Even if they account for that with precise holes in the film, you will probably have to remove the control knobs, and maybe the nuts and washers on the pots and jack, to get that stuff out of those areas.

(Oddly, my new Bronco had two layers of film on its pickguard.)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m going on two years with the plastic still stuck under my Strat pots because I’m lazy as hellllll

Shageletic posted:

so this makes me more cool then, nice. Will do.

e: I picked up the bass four years ago this Jan. It's such an integral part of my life, such a part of my daily or weekly life, such a highlight, than I can't imagine never having done so.

Thanks bass!

I love when my instruments get worn and used. It adds character :D clean and sterile is for toilets not instruments!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m going on two years with the plastic still stuck under my Strat pots because I’m lazy as hellllll

Mine is ten years old and I still haven't removed the pots to take it off. It's not visible at this point though.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
I'm interested in picking up a bass to noodle around in -- is the information in the OP about which models to consider still current advice for someone looking for a starter bass? I've never played bass before, but play a little guitar and piano, and would be looking to spend somewhere in the $200-$350 range on a bass (and then maybe pick up a smaller Fender Rumble amp or something similar as well). Beyond the OP I also read this Wirecutter feature on starter basses, although I've used that site primarily for advice of office equipment or power tools, so I'm not sure how much stock to put into their musical instrument advice. Are there any other resources I should check out for advice on a beginner buying an electric bass?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Squire Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

it will last you forever with a good setup and if you ever need to step up you can just drop in better pickups

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 11, 2019

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bottom Liner posted:

it will last you forever with a good setup and if you ever need to step up you can just drop in better pickups

:emptyquote:

Also here’s my copy paste story about selling a super expensive made in America EBMM Bongo bass because the Squier J sounded and felt better to play. That was a humbling experience.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Had a similar experience, a bassist friend had given me a 5-string SX SJB-75 LTD (which is essentially a Squire VM Jazz with a couple more bells and whistles and more risk of faulty components) that was so beautifully set up, I sold my American-made G&L SB-2 to my singer and the SX became my workhorse for a new music project.

Might have been because I was just so much more acquainted with 5-string jazz configurations*. You could say that I bought the G&L for the wrong reasons. If I had to go back for an American made, it would probably be a standard Precision.

e. I should have mentioned that I already had a quality instrument in a German made 5-string Warwick Corvette, for which the G&L was somewhat of a replacement while the Warwick was being serviced and my album was entering production. I had been recommended going with a Precision to fit into the mix more efficiently, and my aforementioned bassist friend had another friend who was selling the G&L at the time.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 11, 2019

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

That Squier VM Jazz is like the worst-kept secret in bass steals. I'd really recommend trying a P-bass and a Jazz in store to see which one you like the feel of better, though.

I think 9/10 people prefer a Jazz neck, but there's a few weirdos that like the wider precision neck. I started on a P-bass copy and always end up coming back to them.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

:emptyquote:

Also here’s my copy paste story about selling a super expensive made in America EBMM Bongo bass because the Squier J sounded and felt better to play. That was a humbling experience.

I found a 6 string HH Bongo at a Guitar Center last week and noodled on it for a bit and it was an amazing instrument. They had a killer 4 string Koa Sterling too. Sounded so drat good through a simple Rumble 100.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

pumped up for school posted:

That Squier VM Jazz is like the worst-kept secret in bass steals. I'd really recommend trying a P-bass and a Jazz in store to see which one you like the feel of better, though.

I think 9/10 people prefer a Jazz neck, but there's a few weirdos that like the wider precision neck. I started on a P-bass copy and always end up coming back to them.

I hated the P neck until I started playing upright and now it feels amazing.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Bottom Liner posted:

Based on this thread's advice, I picked up a Squier VM Jazz Bass for my home studio recently and its exactly what I wanted/needed. Highly recommend it for a first bass, I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you guys again, I'm having a blast. My playing is a little sloppy right now but its already bringing a wave of inspiration. I do have a question though. Right now I have my JBass plugged directly into my interface into Ableton with Amplitube (free) running. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on effects/processing chains to start from. And would I put those effects before or after Amplitube in the chain?

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 11, 2019

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bottom Liner posted:

I found a 6 string HH Bongo at a Guitar Center last week and noodled on it for a bit and it was an amazing instrument. They had a killer 4 string Koa Sterling too. Sounded so drat good through a simple Rumble 100.

Yeah don’t get me wrong the Bongo was one of the nicest instruments I’ve ever owned. EBMM instruments are incredible all around.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
My first was an Ibanez SR300 and I really liked it. So much so that I basically just upgraded to a nicer version of the same thing. If you go shopping around give it a go too.

dahlis
Oct 26, 2005

Demolitions Expert

So this is the late Christmas gifts I bought for myself. It's a brand new Sadowsky NYC Satin Deluxe. It sounds and feels amazing. I went from a Warwick Thumb to this and my back and left shoulder is now jumping with joy over the chambered alder body. The preamp takes some getting used to, especially the bass and treble boost knobs. I've tried it with a band yesterday and brought along the Diamond BCP1 compressor. I couldn't stop smiling through the entire rehearsal because of how good it sounds. Also seen in the picture is the Future Impact synth pedal, which I haven't really tried yet.

dahlis fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jan 11, 2019

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Thanks all for the advice on a starter bass. Time to peruse the local Guitar Centers and put hands on the Squier VM Jazz bass (and I guess try the PJ as well).

When I look at online vendors like Sweetwater, I see VM Jazz Basses listed for $299, and also a series of bases listed at $349 that are labelled "SQUIER '77 VINTAGE MODIFIED JAZZ BASS" or "SQUIER VINTAGE MODIFIED JAZZ BASS '70S" -- what does that mean? What are the differences among a '77, a '70s version, and just a regular "Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass"?

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Thanks all for the advice on a starter bass. Time to peruse the local Guitar Centers and put hands on the Squier VM Jazz bass (and I guess try the PJ as well).

When I look at online vendors like Sweetwater, I see VM Jazz Basses listed for $299, and also a series of bases listed at $349 that are labelled "SQUIER '77 VINTAGE MODIFIED JAZZ BASS" or "SQUIER VINTAGE MODIFIED JAZZ BASS '70S" -- what does that mean? What are the differences among a '77, a '70s version, and just a regular "Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass"?

The differences are cosmetic. One has white block inlays and the other has black as far as 70 vs 77. Standard vm has dot inlays. They pretty much all play about the same. I think the more expensive ones have Duncan design pickups which may be slightly better than what comes in the standard vm jazz bass. You likely can’t go wrong with any of them but you need to determine if you prefer jazz pickups and necks or p bass pickups and necks. Of course they also make a pj which may be your best option as a beginner.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I borrowed a 70s one last year. It was heavier. Maple instead of agathis.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Krustic posted:

The differences are cosmetic. One has white block inlays and the other has black as far as 70 vs 77. Standard vm has dot inlays. They pretty much all play about the same. I think the more expensive ones have Duncan design pickups which may be slightly better than what comes in the standard vm jazz bass. You likely can’t go wrong with any of them but you need to determine if you prefer jazz pickups and necks or p bass pickups and necks. Of course they also make a pj which may be your best option as a beginner.

Thanks for this. Hopefully I can find versions of all of these at some local Guitar Center and try them out.

I think understand the PJ pick ups are basically a mix of the Jazz and Precision pick ups. Is the PJ neck similarly in the middle between the Jazz and Precision necks?

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

McCoy Pauley posted:

Is the PJ neck similarly in the middle between the Jazz and Precision necks?

No, it will be one or the other on the Squier line. Stock new PJs are P necks, a little wider at the nut than a jazz.

I think there is a current Fender P model that has a J neck, but can't remember which, like something super-duper-delux-special. It is more a re-issue of an 80s and 90s style. Then there's the Nate something signature P that is kind of a in-between, and the Geddy Lee Jazz which is the same nut width but thinner front to back.

Speaking of - someone just bought or re-bought a Geddy signature - is it still the thin neck? I had heard it wasn't as thin as the old MIJ/CIJ models.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Sweetwater lets you filter by nut width -- Jazz necks are usually 1.5" at the nut. No idea if any other sites let you do that.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

McCoy Pauley posted:

Thanks for this. Hopefully I can find versions of all of these at some local Guitar Center and try them out.

I think understand the PJ pick ups are basically a mix of the Jazz and Precision pick ups. Is the PJ neck similarly in the middle between the Jazz and Precision necks?

Unfortunately no. The pj has a precision bass neck. I’m not sure why nobody makes a bass with a jazz neck and pbass pickups but somebody should.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

pumped up for school posted:

No, it will be one or the other on the Squier line. Stock new PJs are P necks, a little wider at the nut than a jazz.

I think there is a current Fender P model that has a J neck, but can't remember which, like something super-duper-delux-special. It is more a re-issue of an 80s and 90s style. Then there's the Nate something signature P that is kind of a in-between, and the Geddy Lee Jazz which is the same nut width but thinner front to back.

Speaking of - someone just bought or re-bought a Geddy signature - is it still the thin neck? I had heard it wasn't as thin as the old MIJ/CIJ models.

The one that Duff Mckagan plays. Also the Duff McKagan signature bass. Jazz bass special I think?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Krustic posted:

Unfortunately no. The pj has a precision bass neck. I’m not sure why nobody makes a bass with a jazz neck and pbass pickups but somebody should.

I think the Jaguar bass has a Jazz neck, and at least some of them are PJs. Fender seems to go back and forth a lot on it.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Krustic posted:

Lakland does! Just pricey.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Krustic posted:

G&L. My SB-2 for instance is the standard #12 neck and it's technically a PJ.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Whoops. Shoulda said more companies should make basses with j necks and p electronics. I want try the squier vm jaguar bass. Every other squier vm instrument I’ve tried has been pretty solid so I recommend.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

What’s the neck like on that Mark Hoppus signature bass? I think it has a j body and p pickup.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
It's a P bass neck. It really is just a P with a jazz body.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Krustic posted:

For a very long time, anything badged "PRECISION BASS SPECIAL" was basically a Precision Bass body with a Jazz bass pickup in the bridge position and a Jazz Bass neck. I have one of these. It's about 20 years old, and I love it. It's my main 4-string and has been since in the year two-thousand....

The trend of basses with Precision bodies and a P/J pickup configuration that have Precision necks is relatively recent. Go to the Fender website and check the nut widths to see if any of these things have J-width necks.

Honestly, I like both necks. I prefer the P-width for a lot of stuff, especially slapping. But that being said, my favorite bass of all time, the bass I'd kill a man with if it suddenly became legal to do so, is my Precision Special, and it has a Jazz neck. So... yeah.

(Just as long as it's a Fender or Squier. Or maybe, maybe, an Ibanez.)

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
The Fender Special Edition Deluxe PJ Bass has a Jazz Bass nut width.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So turned out my bass had the sheerest, most impossible plastic ever to see on it. Man it felt gratifying ripping that poo poo off.

Got another issue gang. I went ahead and bought the Zoom B1XOn bass effects pedal mentioned earlier, and I'm loving it. Want to give it a shot and play it at my next gig.

But I can't find an easy way to just switch to a dry signal?! Like I've read the manual front to back and the only thing I can figure I can do is switch to a patch that sounds similar to my dry normal bass tone, or just loving shut off my amp and directly connect my bass to it.

When I use the expression pedal the other way, the volume just dies...

This is less than ideal to do in the middle of the gig. Any ideas?

And it'd be great to figure out a way to have the effects I want right next to each other on the menu without having to scroll thru 60 some effects, lol.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 14, 2019

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Press and hold both pedals to bring up the option for either the tuner or bypass. Unfortunately, their "bypass" is still a processed signal so it will never be truly "dry." If you have an effects loop in your amp, you might be able to blend out the effect in favor of a dry tone.

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older
You can delete all the effects from a patch - when you get rid of the last one, it'll automatically add a "bypass" effect for some reason, but this is just a placeholder and doesn't do anything. Save the patch, and then you can switch to it whenever you want your dry sound (though as Jeff Goldblum mentions, it's not strictly bypassed). Using "empty" patches like this can sometimes make it easier to flip between patches in the middle of a song if you need to.

e: Also I think there's an official patch editor app now, but I doubt it's a good as this one: https://tonelib.net/

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Fierce Brosnan posted:

You can delete all the effects from a patch - when you get rid of the last one, it'll automatically add a "bypass" effect for some reason, but this is just a placeholder and doesn't do anything. Save the patch, and then you can switch to it whenever you want your dry sound (though as Jeff Goldblum mentions, it's not strictly bypassed). Using "empty" patches like this can sometimes make it easier to flip between patches in the middle of a song if you need to.

e: Also I think there's an official patch editor app now, but I doubt it's a good as this one: https://tonelib.net/

Yeah, this works.

I currently have my B1Xon set up so that I have a patch that just has the "Bypass" effect. I have it available so that I could set my tuner mode to mute instead of bypass; this way, I still have a bypass mode if I ever want to use it, and now I have a tuner mode that mutes without me having to move the expression pedal. (By default, you'd have to hit both buttons to go to tuner mode, then rock the pedal forward and back to mute the sound.)

One thing I've done in the past couple of months with my B1Xon is set it up to be a better "substitute rig" to my main pedalboard. My main board has this signal path:

Boss TU-3 (Tuner) -> MXR Bass Envelope Filter -> Electro-Harmonix Pitch Fork -> TC Electronic Spectra Comp -> E-H Delexue Bass Big Muff -> MXR Bass Overdrive -> Boss GEB-7 (Bass Equalizer) -> E-H Bass Clone (Chorus)

... before, my Zoom was set up for just a few basic sounds, but I wanted it to match my bigger board more closely. So, I planned out and programmed the various combinations that I often use, keeping the order of the effects consistent with my main signal chain. I was able to get some decent approximations (the envelope filter is the only weak link). The problem is you have to switch entire patches with the Zoom, whereas I can switch off individual effects on my main board. So, I had to program something like 15 patches.

What I did to make it easy to switch between patches was set it up so that the patches don't change until I confirm the change. So, I use the buttons to go up and down to my desired patch, and the moment I'm ready, I hit both buttons and it switches. It takes a little getting used to, but it sure beats trying to make sure your patches are all next to each other in an order that makes sense with your songs and setlists. I tried to make that work, but sometimes it required duplicating patches in different places, and I didn't care for that.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
QUESTION:

I've got an Ibanez Soundgear with a set of Bartolinis. I quite like the tone of the Barts, but I wish it was a bit tighter and had a faster response. I play kinda thrashy metal so I'm looking for a really tight bottom end.

If I change the pickups from the Bartolinis to a set of Nordstrand Zen Blades, do I also have to change the preamp? Or can I just throw on the Zen Blades and rock that poo poo?

Cheers!

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Not sure if all of the SRs now with active preamps have the pickups plug into the board but definitely go for a 3 band EQ if your model has a 2 band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Not sure if all of the SRs now with active preamps have the pickups plug into the board but definitely go for a 3 band EQ if your model has a 2 band.

It's got a 3 Band and a mid frequency selector switch.

I generally leave the EQ flat anyway and prefer to get the right sound out of the amp.