Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

my base in my last game was right next to the sea treaders on a plateau slightly above them and i had an observatory that extended out above their path so i could chill in there and watch them do their thing. it was also convenient since if i was home and they came around, i could hear them and it would signal to me that i should go out and grab any resources from the shale they make that i may have needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

my base in my last game was right next to the sea treaders on a plateau slightly above them and i had an observatory that extended out above their path so i could chill in there and watch them do their thing. it was also convenient since if i was home and they came around, i could hear them and it would signal to me that i should go out and grab any resources from the shale they make that i may have needed.

gently caress...that's an awesome place for a base!

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Picked this up during the free sale and have been playing with my co-op buddy via the Nitrox mod. The mod works really well but it has some bugs that you have to get used to (mostly related to some actions being only client-side).

It's still getting patched though so hopefully they iron out some more of them.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I'm really enjoying the Cyclops after bouncing off it hard a few hours ago. It's scratching my boring German sim game itch in a big way. Like, the Seamoth is great for traveling fast and efficiently, but when I'm in the Cyclops it feels like I'm doing my big man job, driving my big man submarine. Being able to switch between cameras and move them around while driving really makes it feel like a real vehicle for some reason. I've outfitted it pretty much up to the spec of my real base, and I'm seriously considering putting up my posters.

Jumping into the Prawn suit and drilling up a hold full of the rare material I was missing while punching some rear end fish to death is alright as well, but just as an interlude to my submarine job.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Bug Squash posted:

I'm really enjoying the Cyclops after bouncing off it hard a few hours ago. It's scratching my boring German sim game itch in a big way. Like, the Seamoth is great for traveling fast and efficiently, but when I'm in the Cyclops it feels like I'm doing my big man job, driving my big man submarine. Being able to switch between cameras and move them around while driving really makes it feel like a real vehicle for some reason. I've outfitted it pretty much up to the spec of my real base, and I'm seriously considering putting up my posters.

Jumping into the Prawn suit and drilling up a hold full of the rare material I was missing while punching some rear end fish to death is alright as well, but just as an interlude to my submarine job.

I love how much thought they put into making the game's spaces feel real. In most games you enter a vehicle and it transitions to a third-person camera, or you enter a building and it transitions to a new cell (that may or may not correlate to the exterior geometry). Nothing is abstracted away; someone spent a poo poo-ton of man hours modeling exactly how the Seamoth seamlessly docks within the Cyclops, or giving the Cyclops an engine room. It's not gameplay, but it has a tremendous effect on immersion.

Thinking about it makes me wish I had a Cyclops toy or Lego set as a kid

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
https://twitter.com/41Strange/status/1084598309535113216
:thunk:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Microcline posted:

I love how much thought they put into making the game's spaces feel real. In most games you enter a vehicle and it transitions to a third-person camera, or you enter a building and it transitions to a new cell (that may or may not correlate to the exterior geometry). Nothing is abstracted away; someone spent a poo poo-ton of man hours modeling exactly how the Seamoth seamlessly docks within the Cyclops, or giving the Cyclops an engine room. It's not gameplay, but it has a tremendous effect on immersion.

Thinking about it makes me wish I had a Cyclops toy or Lego set as a kid

Subnautica is extremely toyetic.

Lego's actually had quite a few lines of aquatic base and submarine kits. The Aquasharks were my people.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost

:thunk:

edit: it's a giant oarfish, forgot to mention. it's actually a bony fish, not an eel!

Soho Joe fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 14, 2019

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

ya fish are pretty hosed up in general.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Wrr posted:

ya fish are pretty hosed up in general.

Thread title right here

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I bet striders would taste delicious if they actually existed.

Would be like eating a crab leg the size of a tree branch.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

while it's a far cry from striders' humongous size, coconut crabs are goddamn big crabs

quote:

The coconut crab (Birgus latro) is a species of terrestrial hermit crab, also known as the robber crab or palm thief. It is the largest land-living arthropod in the world, and is probably at the upper size limit for terrestrial animals with exoskeletons in recent times, with a weight up to 4.1 kg (9.0 lb) It can grow to up to 1 m (3 ft 3 in) in length from leg to leg. It is found on islands across the Indian Ocean, and parts of the Pacific Ocean as far east as the Gambier Islands and Pitcairn Islands, mirroring the distribution of the coconut palm; it has been extirpated from most areas with a significant human population, including mainland Australia and Madagascar.

also, it's considered a delicacy. To the point that it's a protected species because a bunch of people want to eat them.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
This game. I built the Cyclops before I got all the scans for the Prawn suit. I pushed the plot forward a little, got through the Aurora and Enforcement Platform, picked up the last few Prawn scans in there. Got some nifty depth upgrades for the Seamoth. I put a little scanner room in the corner of the Lost River. I'd been taking the Seamoth up and down to get all the parts down there, couldn't use a little solar array at 600m deep and built my first bio reactor. I wanted to take the prawn suit down, but legitimately wasn't sure how to get it back up the cliff face. Loaded up the Cyclops lockers with a bunch of advanced materials I had found.

I'm curious if my nigh-catastrophic fuckup is apparent at this point. I wanted to put the Prawn suit in the Cyclops, take it down to my little base there, use the drilling arm for all the big resources. So I begin taking the Cyclops down the cave entrance I had found, saving frequently when I'd made a little safe progress. The cyclops really has a way of blinding you. I was diligently checking cameras, only having little minor scrapes and scuffs, but pulled back from the console to see the entire stupid ship on fire. Loaded back from the old save, tried again to get back to my little base with the 900m crush depth prawn suit in tow. Had the ship on the verge of collapse again, was really confused because I'd hardly moved from the save state.

Third time I took a better look around. At the save point, I already had water coming into the ship. I finally got my camera high enough to see that i'd saved it at 582m out of a 500m crush depth for the Cyclops. So it took me 4 or 5 tries to get it out of that state, refining a little bit each time. Load game, switch to screw camera, drive backwards & up out to 500m ended up being the trick.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

This game. I built the Cyclops before I got all the scans for the Prawn suit. I pushed the plot forward a little, got through the Aurora and Enforcement Platform, picked up the last few Prawn scans in there. Got some nifty depth upgrades for the Seamoth. I put a little scanner room in the corner of the Lost River. I'd been taking the Seamoth up and down to get all the parts down there, couldn't use a little solar array at 600m deep and built my first bio reactor. I wanted to take the prawn suit down, but legitimately wasn't sure how to get it back up the cliff face. Loaded up the Cyclops lockers with a bunch of advanced materials I had found.

I'm curious if my nigh-catastrophic fuckup is apparent at this point. I wanted to put the Prawn suit in the Cyclops, take it down to my little base there, use the drilling arm for all the big resources. So I begin taking the Cyclops down the cave entrance I had found, saving frequently when I'd made a little safe progress. The cyclops really has a way of blinding you. I was diligently checking cameras, only having little minor scrapes and scuffs, but pulled back from the console to see the entire stupid ship on fire. Loaded back from the old save, tried again to get back to my little base with the 900m crush depth prawn suit in tow. Had the ship on the verge of collapse again, was really confused because I'd hardly moved from the save state.

Third time I took a better look around. At the save point, I already had water coming into the ship. I finally got my camera high enough to see that i'd saved it at 582m out of a 500m crush depth for the Cyclops. So it took me 4 or 5 tries to get it out of that state, refining a little bit each time. Load game, switch to screw camera, drive backwards & up out to 500m ended up being the trick.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Are there any must-use mods? Thinking of replaying this soon

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

How do you guys handle locker layout in your cyclops and bases?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Waffle House posted:

Ooh, ooh, I know this one!

Poorly!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Consumables, plot stuff/decorative, common, common 2, rare and processed

In theory.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I make wall lockers everywhere and put two of titanium and one of alloy on the main deck, along with all of the other minerals/mats, then the bottom hold is filled with two rows of lockers on each wall, all for titanium.
:spergin:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Slanderer posted:

Map and easy crafting

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Slanderer posted:

QMod Manager to support all the other mods.
Auto Sort Lockers streamlines large base inventory management.
Easy Craft drastically streamlines crafting.

Those are the three (two really) that I absolutely wouldn't play without. I also like to run More Seamoth Upgrades because it makes the Seamoth the One Vehicle To Rule Them All, but that's more a matter of personal preference.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

One weird thing I noticed is that when I make a planter inside my Cyclops and grow some lanternfruit and bubo trees in there, the cyclops starts tilting. I guess the changing physics objects make it think its weight is being redistributed. Usually fixes itself when they're done growing.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Speedball posted:

One weird thing I noticed is that when I make a planter inside my Cyclops and grow some lanternfruit and bubo trees in there, the cyclops starts tilting. I guess the changing physics objects make it think its weight is being redistributed. Usually fixes itself when they're done growing.

I just put a large planter in front of the decoy tube. :shrug:

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Waffle House posted:

People already covered the cyclops - stacked rows of wall lockers in the hold does the trick - so here's my favorite workshop layout:

Wall lockers are smaller but you can label them so organizing poo poo is pretty easy, but if you want more space you could probably go to two full lockers per wall surface and still be able to walk around easily. Each of the side connectors can fit two wall-lockers each as well.

Also since I'm at it, here is my ridiculous base with like bedrooms for ten people and (non-functional) research labs and a farm and a sick bay and lounges and a cafeteria and everything:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's really impressive! I'm a big fan of the central single-chair observatory too.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Podima posted:

That's really impressive! I'm a big fan of the central single-chair observatory too.

It's like a Fallout vault with an Overseer office. Now I want an undersea Fallout game.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Tetrabor posted:

It's like a Fallout vault with an Overseer office. Now I want an undersea Fallout game.

well if there's one way we could get a version of subnautica that was somehow even more broken it'd be to have bethesda make it

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Slanderer posted:

https://github.com/HexiDave/SubnauticaMods/releases/ these are all good. mostly convenience/ease of life stuff: more toolbelt/quickslots, ability to turn titanium to scrap and back gain, being able to see the cyclops power bar while inside it (before it was removed), and a nuclear power option for the cyclops.

if we get a new thread, some good/suggested mods should really be in the op. feels like this comes up every few dozen pages.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I just put a large planter in front of the decoy tube. :shrug:

That's exactly where I put my large planter! It should be balanced already!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I make wall lockers everywhere and put two of titanium and one of alloy on the main deck, along with all of the other minerals/mats, then the bottom hold is filled with two rows of lockers on each wall, all for titanium.
:spergin:

I'm glad to see another person doing that too. I just did a single row of large lockers in the prawn bay; the scanner room made it so easy to get titanium. The bottom hold is small lockers (for the labels); most of the stuff I need is in the main room between the cockpit or vehicle bay.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Speedball posted:

I went for melons, instead. You can fit 8 wall planters with a melon each on the back wall of the Cyclops bridge/cockpit, and those are more than enough to keep you fed and watered.

My Cyclops attitude problem was caused by those loving stupid annoying goddamn floaters. Somehow one had attached itself to my Cyclops, and it took me an hour to work out why it kept rolling and slowly surfacing.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

TheParadigm posted:

I'm glad to see another person doing that too. I just did a single row of large lockers in the prawn bay; the scanner room made it so easy to get titanium. The bottom hold is small lockers (for the labels); most of the stuff I need is in the main room between the cockpit or vehicle bay.

This game fulfills my inner hoarder because I get to collect all of this stuff, then I build a smallish (:ohdear:) base and it's all gone, so I get to start hoarding all over!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

TheParadigm posted:

(for the labels)

I could swear that there is a label item which you can stick to the outside of a large locker.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

There is.

It takes copper. (At the time I was short CPU chips and didn't fix it until i'd already decorated the cyclops; also pre-recipe change)

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

Waffle House posted:

I refuse to attach anything to the walls in the cyclops because it floats a few inches away from the surface its supposed to be attached to and it ruins my *immersion*

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

TheParadigm posted:

ability to turn titanium to scrap and back gain

Wait, what's the point of that? The only thing scrap is for is to convert into usable titanium, which takes up the same amount of inventory space. I don't see any reason to change it back unless you really want to manufacture Stalker toys.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

GotLag posted:

I went for melons, instead. You can fit 8 wall planters with a melon each on the back wall of the Cyclops bridge/cockpit, and those are more than enough to keep you fed and watered.

2 of those single plant pots with a bulbo tree in each was all the food I ever needed. Plant the last seed in the same pot and by the time I've worked through the second one the first is fully grown again. I had so much water from the desalinator I had built earlier that I never really needed to consider that.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Wait, what's the point of that? The only thing scrap is for is to convert into usable titanium, which takes up the same amount of inventory space. I don't see any reason to change it back unless you really want to manufacture Stalker toys.

inventory management.

Also i my have said 'scrap' and meant 'ingots'. You know, the ten-titanium 1 square bars.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I would however like an option for turning ingots into individual titanium again if only for storage and also if you made a mistake.

EDIT: ^^ Yup, thought that's what you meant.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

TheParadigm posted:

inventory management.

Also i my have said 'scrap' and meant 'ingots'. You know, the ten-titanium 1 square bars.

Oh, yeah, that makes perfect sense. I actually made a bunch of ingots my first playthrough because I assumed that was what they were for, only to find you couldn't turn them back into regular titanium.