Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Is it just not possible to not make a sandwhich out of french bread?

French dips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
What can I use these ham drippings for? Besides red eye gravy. Can I use them to flavor a casserole or something? Perhaps something rice and veggies-ish.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
slice french bread into 2 in thick rounds, bake at 225 for 30 mins to make croutons, use crouton to top french onion soup

hollow out french bread, make halfassed beef wellington

bread pudding

french toast

process into breadcrumbs

cut into soldiers, eat w/ eggs

slice into much thinner rounds, bake 225 for 30 mins or grill to make crostini

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Suspect Bucket posted:

What can I use these ham drippings for? Besides red eye gravy. Can I use them to flavor a casserole or something? Perhaps something rice and veggies-ish.

Casseroles of basically any kind, mashed potatoes, add it to stews, mix it into congee...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

google gives me french troop diet, what's that cut?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

google gives me french troop diet, what's that cut?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldiers_(food)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Romesco sauce

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The problem with this, as I see it: He may have a pinhole leak somewhere on the coil. Takes time ($) for a repair guy to locate and hopefully fix properly. Additionally, most fridges I've encountered aren't designed to be recharged. You have to add a self-piercing saddle valve, which carries its own risks of leaks down the road. Not saying it can't be done, but not necessarily as easy a choice to make.

It’s 15 years old and probably not a piece of poo poo like today’s fridges are.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
orkdappgar
graopkasmkawladawidnaeoirgmnpsmndreg;ale

fdsooef;f;sda
hnhfkdgmldsmbg;ddflvmdsdcaksjxnzhjfiwj390j
fokwe

h ;ell yeah benihana up in this bitch

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Do the egg trick!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That was better as a Twitter post years ago.

nightly nopetopus
Feb 12, 2018

Possible Dexter.
Defective cat.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Yesss, eggs and toasty soldiers! Love 'em. Man, it took me forever to find egg cups I liked for this: terracotta with coloured, coated bowls. I have a slight fondness for terracotta, due to the awesome terracotta garlic keeper my mother had.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Toast points and creamed chipped beef are more my thing.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

This might be better off in the industry thread, but I'd like to hear some opinions.

Is this dress code racist?

I say no, but bouncers have a ton of leeway in how they enforce these things, so I can see the actions of the bouncers/maitre d/bartender being totally racist, ie, letting white guys slide but being extra strict with black people.

But I really don't feel that the dress code itself is racist: it defines itself as "Upscale Business Casual", and then lists a long list of things that are clearly not Business Casual. I like that we have places that require you to dress up, and if you don't like it, you can go eat someplace else.

To me, the only part that looks like it could apply specifically to black people is "no oversized jewelry/chains ", but if you accept that, then "No Cargo Pants" & "No Camouflage" seem like they are aimed at white men?

I am NOT an apologist for racists, but I'm having a hard time seeing the racism inherent in this sign.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
T-shirts and jeans are definitely not "upscale business casual," but they aren't on the list. Is this genuinely a "men must wear jackets" place or are some people allowed in in T-shirts or jeans, and who are they? Do hats (the hipster kind, not the goon fedora kind) count as "head gear" or is that just a dogwhistle way to say do rags?

I guess the big question is why do they feel the need to be so, so specific -- why can't they just say "business casual" or whatever they want the code to be. I think the answer is because they know the list will make """urban""" people feel unwelcome, and that's not a bug but a feature to them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

"No Head Gear" tips it as racist, or more generally bigoted. It's a nice carte blanche to go after anyone who wears head gear for religious reasons.

Also do rags as mentioned above.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

T-shirts and jeans are definitely not "upscale business casual," but they aren't on the list. Is this genuinely a "men must wear jackets" place or are some people allowed in in T-shirts or jeans, and who are they? Do hats (the hipster kind, not the goon fedora kind) count as "head gear" or is that just a dogwhistle way to say do rags?

I guess the big question is why do they feel the need to be so, so specific -- why can't they just say "business casual" or whatever they want the code to be. I think the answer is because they know the list will make """urban""" people feel unwelcome, and that's not a bug but a feature to them.
Jeans and an oxford is about how nice you need to dress up for some good NYC restaurants IME

With how pretentious their website is and being in Jersey I'd say they're just tired of being in Jersey. Alternatively they are never full so can't just turn people away for that.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

T-shirts and jeans are definitely not "upscale business casual," but they aren't on the list.

An interesting omission, I just assumed that people knew that those things are clearly not BizCas.

Anne Whateley posted:

Ah, that makes some sense. Sort of like a reverse dog whistle.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ok, obviously I have no idea what constitutes "head gear". I assumed that that meant helmets or hard hats, to go along with no work boots. ie they didn't want guys working on a nearby construction site to stop in for lunch.

What falls under head gear?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My racist-o-meter is pinging with that list.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yes, it absolutely is. The list is painting a picture of what stereotypically codifies as black (no oversized shirts, no head gear aka durags/headwraps, no 'work boots' aka timberlands, no low or baggy pants, etc) and completely ignores poo poo like "no skinny jeans" "no tshirts" "no sun dresses" "no flannel" "no denim jackets."

Like it's all well and good to say "hey i'm a white person and i don't mentally connect half these things with nonwhite groups" but the person who made that list does. That place is a piece of poo poo and that sign has me fuckin angry right now.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Squashy Nipples posted:

An interesting omission, I just assumed that people knew that those things are clearly not BizCas.
You thought people knew T-shirts weren't business casual, but people were genuinely confused about gym shorts?

Squashy Nipples posted:

Ok, obviously I have no idea what constitutes "head gear". I assumed that that meant helmets or hard hats, to go along with no work boots. ie they didn't want guys working on a nearby construction site to stop in for lunch.

What falls under head gear?
Yeah no. It's do rags.

The thing about codes like this is they don't exist in a vacuum. They are part of a tradition of bars/restaurants/clubs that have almost identical lists and are known for enforcing them unevenly, because the goal is not to keep out white men in fedoras, the goal is to keep out any black men even one notch below Carlton.

If you're a white guy seeing one for the first time, maybe your first thought is "aw cute it's like Mad Men cosplay, I like to act classy!" When ""urban"" people see these policies, it's not for the first time; they know even if they dress to fit them and even if they're allowed in, they aren't going to have a good time there.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 17, 2019

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Yes that list of prohibited apparel is absolutely racist, so much so that I'm surprised it doesn't say poo poo like "No grills" and "No dreadlocks".

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"NO DOO RAGS" is always my favorite

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Squashy Nipples posted:

This might be better off in the industry thread, but I'd like to hear some opinions.

I say no, but bouncers have a ton of leeway in how they enforce these things, so I can see the actions of the bouncers/maitre d/bartender being totally racist, ie, letting white guys slide but being extra strict with black people.

But I really don't feel that the dress code itself is racist: it defines itself as "Upscale Business Casual", and then lists a long list of things that are clearly not Business Casual. I like that we have places that require you to dress up, and if you don't like it, you can go eat someplace else.

To me, the only part that looks like it could apply specifically to black people is "no oversized jewelry/chains ", but if you accept that, then "No Cargo Pants" & "No Camouflage" seem like they are aimed at white men?

I am NOT an apologist for racists, but I'm having a hard time seeing the racism inherent in this sign.

"No Low or Baggy Pants" and "No Oversized Jewelry / Chains" is a dog whistle so loud as to induce deafness.

jfc yeah dude the only way that list could get more racist is if it just said "no colored's allowed"

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Part of it is definitely finding 3 or 4 different ways to say No Baggy Pants. Because we know who wears baggy pants.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Well, I guess I'm not up on all of my racist dogwhistles. Referring to a do rag as "headgear" seems ludicrously oblique.
And Timberlands haven't been "workboots" for over 30 years now.

I guess the point is to give the bouncers as much leeway as possible to kick out any given person that they want to?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

I guess the point is to give the bouncers as much leeway as possible to kick out any given person that they want to?
No, the point is to make black people uncomfortable enough that they don't even want to try to go inside. The point is racism not letting bouncers get choosy.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Squashy Nipples posted:

Well, I guess I'm not up on all of my racist dogwhistles. Referring to a do rag as "headgear" seems ludicrously oblique.
And Timberlands haven't been "workboots" for over 30 years now.

Where "any given person" is "someone a shade darker than a paper bag", yes.

These signs pop up now and then and almost go down as soon as they're noticed. Usually a combo of backlash, bad reviews tanking the review sites, and boycotts tend to end the policy super quick.

Also what Whalley said.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Headgear almost certainly refers to turbans and head coverings as well, so it’s religiously bigoted too :waycool:

Name and shame, Squashy Nipples.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Whalley posted:

No, the point is to make black people uncomfortable enough that they don't even want to try to go inside.

Ding Ding Ding.

Allowing the bouncers a large list of reasons to bounce out anyone 'uppity enough' to test them is also a feature.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Their Yelp review section is getting rather heated.

There's decidedly no dog-whistling in this one, it's all right there in the open.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Headgear almost certainly refers to turbans and head coverings as well, so it’s religiously bigoted too :waycool:

Name and shame, Squashy Nipples.

The name is clearly visible on the menu

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hauki posted:

The name is clearly visible on the menu

In my defense I’m fuckin stupid

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

In my defense I’m fuckin stupid

:shuckyes:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
If a place says Upscale Business Casual Required, and then has to spell out on a loving plaque exactly what that is, that's obviously not the market they are attracting, or thinks their customers are stupid. I would refuse to eat anywhere like that. Dinner Jacket Required is one thing, but Must Be On An Office Expense Account is a whole nother classless piece of bullshit.

I did like the dress code that said "Only 1 TAPOUT branded shirt per party" though.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 17, 2019

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's a good dress code.

More updates. I had my gender therapist appointment today, the first one at least. It went pretty good I think. I introduced her to new things, and she has some reading material now to learn more about, like, the big outside of furry thing that's a big part of me. And what helped me realized things. So, that's good. I have another appointment in a month. I was nervous, but it went well.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

My wife's ovaries currently have her laid out in the bed from pain, you can have hers :(

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
As a nearly translucent white dude who's currently wearing a do rag and work boots, rarely sees camo on somebody who isn't white and/or military, and thinks the term "business casual" is bullshit because my "casual" wardrobe and "business casual" wardrobe have zero overlap, I say 50% racist, 50% keeping out people who generally don't understand what business casual is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

JoshGuitar posted:

As a nearly translucent white dude who's currently wearing a do rag and work boots, rarely sees camo on somebody who isn't white and/or military, and thinks the term "business casual" is bullshit because my "casual" wardrobe and "business casual" wardrobe have zero overlap, I say 50% racist, 50% keeping out people who generally don't understand what business casual is.

A thing can be racist while not being explicitly and only racist, you don't have to give it credit just because they managed to add some stuff around the dogwhistles