Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
So they put Solo on Netflix today and...holy poo poo...this is maybe the worst movie I've seen in ages.

I literally was in side-splitting laughter when the ~epic bad guy~, who they never really introduced or explained, showed up and they did the James Horner trumpet call from Enemy at the Gates (and Avatar, and...uhhh...pretty much all of his movie scores?). It's such a mess I really can't describe it well enough. I'm sure there are a hundred youtube videos tearing it apart.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Have y'all been dying laughing at the whole Trump buying the National Champions of college football fast food for their congratulatory meal because of the White House staff being gone from the government shutdown situation too or is it just me? Because I haven't stopped laughing for over an hour now :lol:

Wait...didn't The President's Show do this last year? :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I want some chicken mcnuggets now. I could pack away 40.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Life imitates art!

And yeah, Solo was trash lol

I've heard some people say it would've been better received had it been released later (like around Christmas time) instead of right around Avengers Infinity War, but like nahhhhhhhh. That movie would've sucked no matter when they released it. It had a chance when Lord and Miller were attached, but that chance died when they got canned from the project. Ron Howard can't even direct an entertaining movie period anymore, much less an entertaining Star Wars movie.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I thought Solo was a lot of fun.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I literally was in side-splitting laughter when the ~epic bad guy~, who they never really introduced or explained, showed up and they did the James Horner trumpet call from Enemy at the Gates (and Avatar, and...uhhh...pretty much all of his movie scores?). It's such a mess I really can't describe it well enough. I'm sure there are a hundred youtube videos tearing it apart.

It's kinda neat if you follow the EU, that guy's shown up in Rebels and this works into that, but it's a bizarre addition for everyone else (and even for folks who know the link it's clunky). I feel like if they'd teased it more, kept him in shadow so you get voice and dim outline, it would've worked better and then expand in the next movie. As is it's "wait, is this the same guy or am I being space-racist?" Too much screen focus to be a teaser, not enough to be a character. Not given his previous appearance in the movies anyway.

I liked Solo, but I'm easy to please and enjoyed the heist/western elements. Not a masterpiece, but I didn't walk out as angry as some people did, at least as some people's hyperbolic internet personas did.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Solo is the most expensive Star Wars movie ever made because they essentially filmed it twice. Ron Howard only kept 20% of the original footage. Given that, I think it's impressive that the movie is fairly coherent and the worst thing I can say about it is that it's bland. I think Omar from The Wire was supposed to be the original villain.

Also the annoying robot lady was the creator of Killing Eve.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

precision posted:

and then a few minutes later out of nowhere they slam Bob's Burgers?

Ha... ha?

I just read an article where Rich Appel, one of the current showrunners, said it's all in good fun and they all like the show. H. Jon Benjamin has been a reoccurring voice on Family Guy for like over a decade at this point.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mu Zeta posted:

Solo is the most expensive Star Wars movie ever made because they essentially filmed it twice. Ron Howard only kept 20% of the original footage. Given that, I think it's impressive that the movie is fairly coherent and the worst thing I can say about it is that it's bland. I think Omar from The Wire was supposed to be the original villain.

Also the annoying robot lady was the creator of Killing Eve.
Dong Lover does a pretty good Billy Dee Williams impersonation but that's about all the movie has going for it.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Seriously.... Fast food at the white house? Like, I understand that you might not be able to get the white house chefs to cook up a storm but couldn't they have at least thrown a few hundred bucks to a catering company to supply some BBQ chickens or some poo poo?

That loving country.....

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Looten Plunder posted:

Seriously.... Fast food at the white house? Like, I understand that you might not be able to get the white house chefs to cook up a storm but couldn't they have at least thrown a few hundred bucks to a catering company to supply some BBQ chickens or some poo poo?

That loving country.....
Do you know who our President is? :lol:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mu Zeta posted:

Solo is the most expensive Star Wars movie ever made because they essentially filmed it twice.

I enjoyed it plenty (more than I expected) but I still really wish an alternative universe version of the Lord and Miller one existed. I bet that would’ve been really fun.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Room temperature fast food.

Looten Plunder posted:

but couldn't they have at least thrown a few hundred bucks to a catering company to supply some BBQ chickens or some poo poo?

Reminder that our president is a hotel owner and could've taken them to one of his hotel restaurants for some Trump Steaks.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 15, 2019

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lycus posted:

Room temperature fast food.

Reminder that our president is a hotel owner and could've taken them to one of his hotel restaurants for some Trump Steaks.

Mmmm yeah, wanna gnaw on that charred gristle like a dog on a bone.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

McSpanky posted:

Mmmm yeah, wanna gnaw on that charred gristle like a dog on a bone.

I didn't think Trump would force them all to eat them well done, but yeah, that's something he would do.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If he took them to his hotel, they'd all be eating taco salads.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/728297587418247168?lang=en

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Is there any buzz for The Passage, I figure I'll give it a shot tonight. I thought I remembered a little goon hype for it, but I can't remember why.

I read the first two books of the trilogy and I'm mainly watching to see what they hell they do with the story, because it could get interesting. Plus we liked Believe way too much for its short life. Can't say The Passage premiere was great but it squandered almost all goodwill it did engender by immediately jumping into a long, spoilerific, season/next episode preview over the credits that immediately undercut the cliffhanger ending, all set to Tainted Love.

Didn't help I watched it after two episodes of True Detective.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Looten Plunder posted:

That loving country.....

He literally has a hotel with catering services in that city, but that would have cost him, personally, money.

I mean, it's almost a work of art: three hundred dollars of almost-food on a quarter million dollars in trays and plateware in a half million dollar room bought by a billionaire hosting the unpaid players of a football team which generates millions in profit. It's like a rejected film school script from 2004...
:smithicide:

Oh, and the 'Tube's algorithm finally delivered up Lindsay Ellis, so I have all of those series to watch now.
:bandwagon:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I could use one of those fast food burgers right now. Sounds good to me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm a few episodes into this documentary series The 70s (the CNN one) on Netflix. This rules. A lot of this is information I already knew, but some of it I didn't, and I'm glad they've made quick, digestible history lessons on entire decades like this. I watched the 2000s one when it aired over the summer and the same was true of that one.

How many decades have they made these for? I have the 80s one on my Netflix list and I'll get to that after I watch this one.

Mu Zeta posted:

I could use one of those fast food burgers right now. Sounds good to me.
Same! It's 1AM and I never ate dinner and I'm broke and have no food around the house :shepface:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm a few episodes into this documentary series The 70s (the CNN one) on Netflix. This rules. A lot of this is information I already knew, but some of it I didn't, and I'm glad they've made quick, digestible history lessons on entire decades like this. I watched the 2000s one when it aired over the summer and the same was true of that one.

How many decades have they made these for? I have the 80s one on my Netflix list and I'll get to that after I watch this one.

They did the 80s and 90s too. I watched them in reverse order. They are pretty fantastic, especially when they delve into the politics and economics of the era.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GreenNight posted:

I thought Solo was a lot of fun.

Same, I found it surprisingly good, almost liked it as much as Rogue One and honestly probably more than The Last Jedi

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I tried watching the first episode of Titans and boy is this a grim-dark confused mess of a tv-show.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Donald Trump serving fast food in very expensive white house plates is funny as hell. Donald Trump going along Lindsey Graham's eternal battle of good vs evil in Afghanistan is less funny.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Same, I found it surprisingly good, almost liked it as much as Rogue One and honestly probably more than The Last Jedi

You aren’t allowed to post here anymore

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I back his hyperbole 110%

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I HAVE SPOKEN

Not seen second True Detective yet but I thought the first was, obv still setting everything up but mostly good!! Last 10 mins or so were very well-made

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

I HAVE SPOKEN

Yeah, you do that a lot.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

precision posted:

It's easily the best of the new Star Wars movies, not that that is a very high bar to clear...

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chalk me down as another person who enjoyed Solo. A lot of it has to do with Donald Glover, but I thought Alden Eichenerich was fine as Han. There was some stupid poo poo (how he got his name) but every Star Wars film since Empire has at least one groanworthy scene or sequence.

And I say this as someone who walked in prepared to be disappointed, as I've been stanning for Lord & Miller forever and was super bitter when they were fired.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 15, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Solo was way too unfocused. There were at least 4 different possibly good movies set up there, and they just smushed them all into one.

I would have much rather had a movie about Han Solo in the Imperial Navy, or even better one that was more focused on the heist, where the raiders were the big bad than either of those being minor elements.

Hell, Han's life on Corellia would have been a much more interesting movie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's sort of amusing to me that Solo potentially has the fewest degrees of separation from George Lucas because I'm fairly sure Lucas asked Kasdan to write him a Han Solo movie back in 2012 just before he sold his company.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Yeah, the story made little sense, all of the character moments were unearned, and there wasn't a plot so much as a series of fanservice events that happened. The movie never bothers to tell its audience what's happening or why, you spend most of the film being shuffled from special effects set piece to special effects set piece.

If I could encapsulate this movie in one scene, it would be where Han spends the first third of the film looking for his lost love who then just walks into the frame and this is never really mentioned or explained for the rest of the movie. Then, this crime lord's top lieutenant just happens to go with a crew of schmucks he was about to murder because reasons? Then the whole heist crew dies as soon as we meet them?

Like, so much of this movie is just terrible:
Solo's last name is because he was alone???
Chewie was held in a pit murdering people they threw in for food?
Anyone else notice that we see Han fly twice in the film and both times he is amazing despite never having earned that skill on camera?

Okay that middle one actually seems pretty metal, but it didn't work for me. The movie also makes Han seem like a total boob: the guy hasn't changed in 60 years or whatever? He's been pulling the same schtick this WHOLE time? :nallears:

This was all of the worst elements of Superhero Origin Films smooshed together. Did we watch the same film, y'all? :crossarms:

In other news, I'm rewatching Hannibal on bluray and this show is sooooooooo goooooooooooooooooood! :stwoon:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Yeah, the story made little sense, all of the character moments were unearned, and there wasn't a plot so much as a series of fanservice events that happened. The movie never bothers to tell its audience what's happening or why, you spend most of the film being shuffled from special effects set piece to special effects set piece.

If I could encapsulate this movie in one scene, it would be where Han spends the first third of the film looking for his lost love who then just walks into the frame and this is never really mentioned or explained for the rest of the movie. Then, this crime lord's top lieutenant just happens to go with a crew of schmucks he was about to murder because reasons? Then the whole heist crew dies as soon as we meet them?

I actually really liked the heist crew and the raiders, and both of them were so underused it was criminal.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Like, so much of this movie is just terrible:
Solo's last name is because he was alone???
Chewie was held in a pit murdering people they threw in for food?
Anyone else notice that we see Han fly twice in the film and both times he is amazing despite never having earned that skill on camera?

Okay that middle one actually seems pretty metal, but it didn't work for me. The movie also makes Han seem like a total boob: the guy hasn't changed in 60 years or whatever? He's been pulling the same schtick this WHOLE time? :nallears:

This was all of the worst elements of Superhero Origin Films smooshed together. Did we watch the same film, y'all? :crossarms:

In other news, I'm rewatching Hannibal on bluray and this show is sooooooooo goooooooooooooooooood! :stwoon:

I'm surprised you could see the movie at all with your head so far up your arse.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Solo's a bad movie, hth

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:lol: presidential

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Someone should have challenged Trump that he couldn't eat all of that junk in one sitting and his ego wouldn't let him not at least try, probably while tweeting things like "I have the GREATEST digestive system of ANY president!" and "CROOKED HILLARY wouldn't have been able to eat all this REAL AMERICAN FOOD like I am!"

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did anyone show up to eat this poo poo?

I haven't seen a photo of it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Imagine Trump sitting at his desk in the Oval Office addressing the nation while eating a Big Mac with ketchup and mustard stains round his mouth and down his shirt front.

:911: