Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I remember hearing years ago that LSD is incredibly difficult to make and that very few people can make it. I read a story about how a major US maker got busted and that pretty much killed the US supply for quite some time. I think this was in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Waltzing Along posted:

I remember hearing years ago that LSD is incredibly difficult to make and that very few people can make it. I read a story about how a major US maker got busted and that pretty much killed the US supply for quite some time. I think this was in the 90s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Leonard_Pickard

Its been bath salts from street dealers ever since, thanks DEA. To tie it all back together one of Silk Road's claims to fame was that the acid sellers were occasionally selling real acid.

EorayMel posted:

That's some genuine alchemy poo poo right there.

Especially the "murky-looking smelly liquid"
100% of useful bench scale chemistry involves murky looking smelly liquid, that's just what extractions are.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Why is heroin so hard to synthesise, compared to fentanyl? (Same for cocaine, compared to amphetamines)

A century+ of making all the precursors as tightly controlled as the drugs themselves. In the unlikely event that fentalogues don't completely push agricultural heroin out of the market I expect the next big thing for both heroin and cocaine to be recombinant GM algae that produce the active compounds without all the big footprint big visibility farms.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 13, 2019

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

This is true but LSD is active in the micrograms like fentanyl, so if you do manage to put together a small field of heirloom rye, infect it with ergot and bring it to harvest without your farmer neighbors noticing the obvious infestation, you might have enough ergot to supply the whole planet for a few months.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Isn’t 1P-LSD much easier to make/get (given that it’s uncontrolled in Canada), and a pretty good substitute?

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

Isn’t 1P-LSD much easier to make/get (given that it’s uncontrolled in Canada), and a pretty good substitute?

Yeah, that's the other side to the LSD thing. Research chem psychedelics of excellent quality have been available for 15+ years now, so being a stickler for getting proper LSD is really only for people who want an authentic Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test experience.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I really enjoy that the Fentanyl salesman brings up the federal crime of stealing mail lol.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Why is heroin so hard to synthesise, compared to fentanyl? (Same for cocaine, compared to amphetamines)

Why bother?

Heroin and cocaine can be used directly from the botanical. You can straight-up chew coca leaves, make poppy tea, etc. Halfway through the conversation about setting up what you need to synthesize it someone speaks up and says, "you know people with stone-age technology just grow this, right?"

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Not a pyramid scheme

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
theyve took the gene from coca plants and put it in bacteria before
seems the best route longterm

all about sustainable environmentalism with my cocaine

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

gary oldmans diary posted:

What happens to all the men and women who worked the coca fields and the processing facilities to feed their families? Are they all going to become bacteria ranchers? I don’t think so. Privileged-rear end white people, always concerned about the “environment” with no thought for the people whose jobs they are destroying.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

gary oldmans diary posted:

yeah because growing plants isn't sustainable (???)

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

What happens to all the men and women who worked the coca fields and the processing facilities to feed their families? Are they all going to become bacteria ranchers? I don’t think so. Privileged-rear end white people, always concerned about the “environment” with no thought for the people whose jobs they are destroying.

they can become coal miners

Khorne
May 1, 2002

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Might be because there is already legal manufacturing processes to make fent and amphetamines because they have medical uses, which are easier to steal and do on the black market. Cocaine and heroin have been illegal across most of the world for most of a century (?) and that made it harder to make a more streamlined process to manufacturer in large scale compared to the processes that are just stolen from medical stuff.
Heroin is or was used as a pain killer at some hospitals. It's not very different from morphine or fentanyl in terms of outcomes if I remember correctly.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

revwinnebago posted:

Why bother?

Heroin and cocaine can be used directly from the botanical. You can straight-up chew coca leaves, make poppy tea, etc. Halfway through the conversation about setting up what you need to synthesize it someone speaks up and says, "you know people with stone-age technology just grow this, right?"

It's not the same, though. Heroin/cocaine are both more addictive and abusable than their natural counterparts. It mostly comes down to enabling faster routes of administration- the fastest RoA for pre-columbian cocaine would have been chewing the leaves or making tea, and you'd have to do this all day to maintain a caffeine-esque buzz. There was no history or culture of coca addiction before cocaine. Snorting, smoking and injecting are all faster routes of administration, which makes it much more fun and more addictive. Morphine is to opium as cocaine is to coca, and heroin is even better because after it does its thing it metabolizes into morphine and does it again. The escalation from heroin to fentanyl is really just the next step in a process that's been ongoing for thousands of years, since the first humans upgraded from poppy tea to smokable latex.

Khorne posted:

Heroin is or was used as a pain killer at some hospitals. It's not very different from morphine or fentanyl in terms of outcomes if I remember correctly.

Heroin is actually the odd one out, in that it's schedule 1 and has no accepted medical use in the US. This is in contrast to methamphetamine, which can still be prescribed for ADHD under the name desoxyn (at a tiny, tiny dose) and cocaine, which is used as topical anesthesia for eye surgery.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 15, 2019

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
The fact that no plants produce amphetamine naturally is proof that we live in a cold and uncaring universe.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Norton the First posted:

The fact that no plants produce amphetamine naturally is proof that we live in a cold and uncaring universe.

Would like to smoke GMO tobacco where the nicotine has been replaced with amphetamine with you.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Norton the First posted:

Ephedra (plant)

I mean, it's not meth, but it's a precursor to it. And makes you all jittery so that's something.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
With regard to Fentanyl, it is not that the drug is incredibly lethal if dosed properly- as several have said here it is regularly used in clinical situations. The trouble becomes the mail-order sources of the drugs; they are often Russian or Chinese plants with little regard to purity or concise measurement. In some instances buyers are being sent (or inadvertently ordering) Carfentanil which is typically used in veterinary applications and is dramatically more so potent. In my anecdotal experience of living in an area in the heat of a heroin epidemic it seems the majority of deaths blamed on Fentanyl later wind up attributed to Carfentanil.

quote:

In August 2016, there were 52 deaths in Cleveland, Ohio, some of which involved carfentanil. Akron experienced 24 carfentanil overdoses in one day; in the month of July 2016, there were 230 carfentanil overdoses in Akron, 14 of which were deadly. Kentucky, Indiana, and West Virginia also reported spikes in carfentanil-related overdoses during that time. By April 2017, carfentanil deaths had been reported in Colorado, South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida, Illinois, Missouri, New Hampshire, Maryland, and New York. By the end of 2016, law enforcement reportedly identified carfentanil in 451 cases.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Didn't the spetznaz kill a bunch of hostages with Fentanyl gas a couple of years ago

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

feelix posted:

Didn't the spetznaz kill a bunch of hostages with Fentanyl gas a couple of years ago

Carfentanil but yes

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Would like to smoke GMO tobacco where the nicotine has been replaced with amphetamine with you.

We can dream.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

By popular demand posted:

stop this reality I want to get off.

so do they :colbert:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Gay Weed Dad posted:

With regard to Fentanyl, it is not that the drug is incredibly lethal if dosed properly- as several have said here it is regularly used in clinical situations. The trouble becomes the mail-order sources of the drugs; they are often Russian or Chinese plants with little regard to purity or concise measurement. In some instances buyers are being sent (or inadvertently ordering) Carfentanil which is typically used in veterinary applications and is dramatically more so potent. In my anecdotal experience of living in an area in the heat of a heroin epidemic it seems the majority of deaths blamed on Fentanyl later wind up attributed to Carfentanil.

In Vancouver, about a hundred people die every month from fentanyl. It has basically replaced heroine as a street drug. Probably some of that is carfentanil, but from what I've been told (by people who work in the local CDC) it's mainly fentanyl.

It's bad enough that naloxone kits have become ubiquitous at raves and festivals. It's not uncommon for other party drugs to get cross-contaminated, and it takes just a speck of fentanyl, and even less of carfentantil, to cause an overdose in someone not habituated to opiates.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Lead out in cuffs posted:

It's bad enough that naloxone kits have become ubiquitous at raves and festivals.

Is the reasoning that the presence of naloxone is causing people to be less cautious?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Heath posted:

Is the reasoning that the presence of naloxone is causing people to be less cautious?

I think he means the fentanyl situation is bad enough that naloxone is becoming common.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

yeah because growing plants isn't sustainable (???)
youre right. if 2 things technically both work then they are both equally efficient. i forgot this is the bitcoin thread

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
If I see another post about drugs on this page, I'm gonna make bcoin jump to 10k by midnight.

Warning issued.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

moolchaba posted:

If I see another post about drugs on this page, I'm gonna make bcoin jump to 10k by midnight.

Warning issued.

But bitcoin was already gong to go to 10k by midnight

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

moolchaba posted:

Warning issued.

If it hits 10k by midnight I'll make sure it hits 20k, we're going to the moon, to get drugs with bitcoins

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Barbitcoinates

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

moolchaba posted:

Warning issued.

i paid 50btc for magic mushrooms in japan but when i opened the bag it was just eryngiis

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

i paid 50btc for magic mushrooms in japan but when i opened the bag it was just eryngiis

Funguscoin

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
That goon never came back and told us if he actually got his money did he?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Mimesweeper posted:

I think he means the fentanyl situation is bad enough that naloxone is becoming common.

Yes, this.

It is generally not good when people die at the party you are organizing/volunteering for. Lots of people carry the kits, have them hanging up in visible places, and are trained to administer them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TheBizzness posted:

That goon never came back and told us if he actually got his money did he?

No because he was only able to get in the form of fentanyl which promptly killed him.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Thought you guys might like this, playing games on a mining only GPU (that doesn't have a video output port).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY4s35uULg4

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Thought you guys might like this, playing games on a mining only GPU (that doesn't have a video output port).

Glad to know I was right never to click on one of this guy's videos when YT suggested him to me

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

let's use an exploit to install unsigned drivers from anons on the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

"exploit"