Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So I have no mind or free will of my own. Is the AMD Vega stuff revealed at CES looking like a flop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Star Man posted:

So I have no mind or free will of my own. Is the AMD Vega stuff revealed at CES looking like a flop?

Yup seems like they are still stuck in the ~$150 GPU value zone

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

We havent seen actual reviews yet, but ill will probably depend on actual shelf price like most computer things. At the announced MSRP and performance numbers, it will probably be fine if not very exciting. If its like $50 under MSRP, it could be pretty competitive.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Does the XV273K do LFC for frame doubling? 48hz is kind of a high cutoff for gaming at 4K.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Combat Pretzel posted:

Does the XV273K do LFC for frame doubling? 48hz is kind of a high cutoff for gaming at 4K.

With an AMD card it should - AFAIU with FreeSync LFC is a driver level thing and they say it's enabled automatically on all FreeSync displays with max refresh more than 2.5x min refresh. I dunno what Nvidia does but since one of their requirements for "G-sync compatible" was that refresh range, you'd think they would support it too.

e: https://www.amd.com/Documents/freesync-lfc.pdf

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Star Man posted:

It looks like a stopgap card based on their workstation product with some components turned off (60 vs 64 ROPs). I find it incredibly cool, but of course those features won't make a better gaming card.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

TheFluff posted:

With an AMD card it should - AFAIU with FreeSync LFC is a driver level thing and they say it's enabled automatically on all FreeSync displays with max refresh more than 2.5x min refresh. I dunno what Nvidia does but since one of their requirements for "G-sync compatible" was that refresh range, you'd think they would support it too.

e: https://www.amd.com/Documents/freesync-lfc.pdf

I'm pretty sure they changed it to 2x instead of 2.5x, as a minor aside

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
EVGA just raised the price of their 2080 Ti from 1000 to 1100. Still not in stock though. Before the 20 series came out I was going to limit myself to 1000 dollars if a 20 series card was significantly faster than a 1080 Ti. MSRP for the 2080 Ti is 1000 dollars so it was perfect, but they've never been in stock for MSRP. I check EVGAs site every few days hoping for stock and now the price has gone up.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

One way to look at it is: Nvidia was so worried about Vega/Navi 7nm that they enabled free sync on their cards.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

craig588 posted:

EVGA just raised the price of their 2080 Ti from 1000 to 1100. Still not in stock though. Before the 20 series came out I was going to limit myself to 1000 dollars if a 20 series card was significantly faster than a 1080 Ti. MSRP for the 2080 Ti is 1000 dollars so it was perfect, but they've never been in stock for MSRP. I check EVGAs site every few days hoping for stock and now the price has gone up.

That’s depressing, and likely a reaction to the AMD announcement.

I have an EVGA 2080 I was considering using the step-up for the 2080 Ti XC Black; the price increase just nixed that thought.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

K8.0 posted:

Be glad that Nvidia has chosen this largely irrelevant point in time to push something new out, so the next generation can be solid value again.
"Next generation" being the important part. Given that the next consoles are both based on AMD hardware and cross platform titles therefore won't support the new tech anyway, slowing its acceptance I'll gladly sit this one out.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Star Man posted:

It's certainly looks better positioned for AMD than Fury X vs GTX 980ti, but it lacks some DLSS/RTX. Not a flop, just not a resounding win for gaming ('supposedly' similar price/perf), but compute looks good though. I think supply will be tight because of the people buying the cards for compute.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
As long as people are buying AMD cards at all, it's a win for AMD.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

"Next generation" being the important part. Given that the next consoles are both based on AMD hardware and cross platform titles therefore won't support the new tech anyway, slowing its acceptance I'll gladly sit this one out.

Yeah, with raytracing being part of DX12 and AMD showing over the past few years they have at least a good understanding of where DirectX is going and patiently waiting for games to move off DX11, I'm not sure AMD is completely in over their heads but developing new things takes time.

Nvidia has yet to prove that their poo poo isn't a bunch of PhysX reduxes, where they make proprietary bullshit that developers don't bother with because they won't leave AMD (and, more importantly, console users) out in the cold implementing a bunch of Nvidia's PC Mustard Rice suprema-features. At the end of the day, the multi-platform console release is what steers development, even if the PC release sometimes gets some assets or something the consoles didn't use.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lube banjo posted:

One way to look at it is: Nvidia was so worried about Vega/Navi 7nm that they enabled free sync on their cards.

another way is: nvidia was so worried about the massive hit their stock took from crypto that they needed an easy win to boost stockholder confidence.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
LOL, AMD confirmed the Radeon VII will be limited to 1:16 rate FP64 like their other consumer cards instead of the rumored 1:2 rate. So that's like 90% of the reason to buy it over literally anything else gone. Also no HDMI 2.1.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Mr.Radar posted:

LOL, AMD confirmed the Radeon VII will be limited to 1:16 rate FP64 like their other consumer cards instead of the rumored 1:2 rate. So that's like 90% of the reason to buy it over literally anything else gone. Also no HDMI 2.1.

2080's actually exist at MSRP too, so it's a straight up fight at 699.99 between the two. At this point, the only advantage Radeon VII looks to have is VRAM, Turing's feature set looks much stronger.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Mr.Radar posted:

Ah crap, why would they do that? They could have actually sold cards!

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 14, 2019

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AMD is going to make less than 5000 Radeon VIIs, supposedly :effort:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At those quantities maybe they can actually hit the price point they stated instead of bullshit rebates that last for all of 15 minutes before running out

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'm getting more and more convinced AMD is deliberately trying to destroy their GPU division.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Collector's limited edition!

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Zen chiplets taking up all that sweet sweet 7nm capacity.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Didn't Papermaster also make the genius decision to say that something better was coming out soon in response to Jensen's trolling?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Radeon VII must’ve just been a card to prove they can make high end cards, albeit a generation of performance behind and on a slightly more advanced node than their competition. Navi really needs to deliver a cost effective stack top to bottom to not bleed their shrinking market share. When Nvidia shrinks I think AMD is in trouble.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

K8.0 posted:

I'm getting more and more convinced AMD is deliberately trying to destroy their GPU division.

The rumor is that they had to do an unplanned respin of Navi which delayed it and the Radeon VII is just a stopgap measure to put something out there on the high end in the meantime.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Risky Bisquick posted:

Radeon VII must’ve just been a card to prove they can make high end cards, albeit a generation of performance behind and on a slightly more advanced node than their competition. Navi really needs to deliver a cost effective stack top to bottom to not bleed their shrinking market share. When Nvidia shrinks I think AMD is in trouble.

Supposedly the point of Radeon 7 was that they already paid to develop the die shrink for the pro market as the MI60 (where it’s huge FP64 performance and memory bandwidth is better than anything short of $5k+ Volta parts). They know they can’t compete on price in gaming, the 2080 is on a cheaper process with cheaper ram and cheaper components, but there are some people out there that will buy it anyway for various reasons. Maybe they have brand loyalty, maybe they are avid Linux users, etc.

So might as well release some for those edge cases and to keep the name out there/appease investors wanting new launches, but it’s not a full fledged or serious attack. That’s buildzoids theory anyway.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

How stupid would I be if I bought a RX 580 right now?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

FuturePastNow posted:

Depends on your monitor. It's a perfectly serviceable card for 1080p/60Hz, although maybe not at the very highest quality settings in the newest AAA titles. I'm not sure there will be anything with significantly better value for your money at that price point released in the near future either.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 15, 2019

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FuturePastNow posted:

not stupid if it plays the games you want to play and you get it for about $150 with a free game or 2. Its pretty high up there for straight value especially for games like overwatch now that the driver issues finally got fixed after about 14 months. What games are you looking at and what monitor specs? Also what GPU are you coming from?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Yep, if it does what you want it to do and you get a good price, it's usually the best choice right now. It's 1060-level performance, but starting at not much more than a 1050 Ti for decent dual-fan models. The 570/80/90s are currently absolutely trouncing NVidia for value at the mid-range and upper budget price points.

Plus, if you're not interested in the free games, used 8GB MSI and Gigabyte 580s regularly sell for around ~$100-120. Stick with MSI and Gigabyte for the transferable warranty, which will have at least 1.5 years remaining (but avoid MSI Armor - they're noisy and hot).

Stickman fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 15, 2019

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
GeForce 417.71 Driver is out, featuring adaptive sync. Only works with Diplay Port though, as expected. Screw me and my 2 x HDMI Asus VG245H.
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
They took another crack at "[GeForce GTX 1080]: GPU clock speed does not drop to idle when three monitors are
enabled. [2474107]" too. Let's see how well that works too.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

FuturePastNow posted:

It's far and away the best mainstream card right now in perf/$. GTX 1070 is barely 25% faster than it in BF5 but at 2x the price.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Gunes I'd like to hear your opinion on this:
I'm currently on a 8700k with a grandfathered 970gtx on a 1080p 240hz gsync screen. Works p well so far but the new Re2 Remake is around the corner and I've been looking for a reason to upgrade the gpu and I feel this may be a good reason. I mean it runs fine, but it could run better. My coworker over heard me and is offering me his 2nd hand MSI 1070 Aero itx card for 210 euro's.

Reviews seem decent and 210 seems like a decent price. On the other hand, I do have a bigger budget(I could add another 500 easily if needed) and could get something bigger but is it actually worth it to do so? RE2 is apparantly getting raytracing, yet we're not yet aware of how it is implemented. We don't know how well it runs and how much it adds to the game(it might be useful, atmosphere is key in horror).

This isn't a fun time to pick cards. :(

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Now is a real poo poo time to get a new GPU, perf/$ has pretty much flatlined since Pascal. 210 eur for a 1070 is a great price and you can put the rest towards a mainstream 7nm card.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Right now this computer only has Left 4 Dead 2 on it so it really takes some effort maxing it out to get below 60 FPS with a 1080 but with that Asus 27 inch freesync seems to work no problem. It runs a bit choppy without Gsync compatible mode and seems to smooth out with it enabled. It's hard to get it to consistently run below 60 FPS, but it seems to be working with no side effects.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
May as well repost the Nvidia VRR tutorial since a bunch of new people are going to be using the new gsync :

If you're going to use gsync (or any form of VRR), you need to cap your framerate, or you have to choose between tearing or high input latency. On Nvidia cards you generally want to do this with RTSS (comes with MSI Afterburner and EVGA Precision, has a blue monitor icon with a red 60 in it in your system tray).

Set a global FPS cap at (refresh rate - 4) in RTSS, not Nvidia Inspector.
Force Vsync on through Nvidia control panel.

For any given game :
Turn vsync off in-game.
If tearing appears, turn vsync on in-game.
Optional (but definitely bother with this if it's a multiplayer game you'll play a bunch) : if the game has a framerate limiter, google if it's better than RTSS. If it is, make an RTSS profile for that game that disables the framerate cap, and cap at (refresh rate - 4) in game.

You can of course easily test the VRR by temporarily setting the cap to something like 45 that would make tearing or judder really obvious, and then just turning left and right while keeping your eyes on a vertical edge.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 15, 2019

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Capping is a way easier way to test it than forcing 32x external AA. Thanks for reminding me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
That sounds very cheap indeed for a 1070. Id be on it like a shot.