Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Oh yeah, still reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Still here too - man, these FDs have a lot of stuff.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I love FDs and this thread.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

What everyone else said, plus: your shop and fabrication skills are what I aspire to.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Love the updates, but typically don't post because I don't have much to add other than great work. I really enjoy all the fabrication stuff, like those mounts and how you fixed them.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I'm here

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
We all float down here. So your thread(s), Lobster Boy, Sockington, Fuzzkill, and a few others are what attracted me to the forum.
I'm hoping this year is the year I get back toward my mechanical journey after life took over.
Rusty piece of poo poo 260Z's aren't going to hot rod themselves.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.
Always read your updates as well, its a requirement really from RADL. (Not sure how you were missed in the RADL title avatar assignment.)

I think I'm going to make more of an effort to comment on people's updates, I want to encourage more crazy posts, not less.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Galler posted:

I read this thread but just posting 'dope' after every update just seems like noise so I don't.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Yeah I am here as well, just admiring the amount of awesome work being done. :)

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

n-thing the still following the thread and seconding the required reading for RADL members.

Also, now that croooober does scheduled shared container shipping, let me know when you're ordering next. I want a bunch of RX-8 goodies and Advan wheels from Japan and right now, the shipping costs are the only thing stopping me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You stop posting and we mutiny.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

the spyder posted:

Emailed them tonight. It's a long story, but they shipped me a set direct from the 3rd party due to them being out of stock.

Unrelated- I have the same sentiment about wondering if people still read my thread :shrug:

I read it!
And I still need a powder coating rig.

Realistically, I need a bigger garage/shop first.

extreme_accordion posted:

We all float down here. So your thread(s), Lobster Boy, Sockington, Fuzzkill, and a few others are what attracted me to the forum.
I'm hoping this year is the year I get back toward my mechanical journey after life took over.
Rusty piece of poo poo 260Z's aren't going to hot rod themselves.

I really miss Sockington's rust updates. Does Fuzzkill still have (a) thread(s)? Must go check.
Y'all's threads help keep me going on mine, such as it is.

Side note: I'm amused that Chrome doesn't red-underline "y'all's".

edit:

Rhyno posted:

You stop posting and we mutiny.

(Though I don't know where else we'd go...)

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Side note: I'm amused that Chrome doesn't red-underline "y'all's".

Uh, it apparently comes stock in the Chrome word list, cause my Android phone has always allowed me to Swype it in, and I've never added it. Weirdly, it has problems with common first names like Roger (roofer or Rodger).

Anyway, always reading this thread.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Yes, still reading, this is always the good stuff. Proceed with the super spinny triangle motors.
Have you ever seen one of these (RX7/8) that the PO has not mutilated through attention or inattention?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Not rotary specific but the new California extortion law has cops cracking down on exhausts extra hard lately and I wanted to know if anyone knows a good way to tame the exhaust output of a turbo half bridge. I'm thinking of getting a butterfly valve inline with some holes drilled out so I can drop DBs with a switch. But I don't know what good ones are out there.

edit: come to think about it I think I should repack my muffler first, haha.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 14, 2019

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I only read to see what you bodge, half-rear end or just get wrong.

Joke obviously

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Hey Spyder, how bad are rx8s to own reliability wise?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
!~Hijacking~!
I have two inline resonator mufflers and the RB muffler. The drat thing is still too loud for my taste.
I decided to cut the Racing Beat muffler open and take a look. I guess I'm going to do a repack based on what I see here:

The steel wool absolutely needs to be re done, I'm no expert on the ceramic packing, but I assume its been just used and abused at this point.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 15, 2019

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Thanks for the feedback guys, I honestly stopped posting for a while because I just wasn't sure anyone enjoyed it or quite frankly cared. I'm also in a better place to finish a bunch of projects, so the next few months should be a blast.

Did I mention I also randomly bought GoPro's for fun?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fneifpHkELo

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Aeka 2.0 posted:

!~Hijacking~!
I have two inline resonator mufflers and the RB muffler. The drat thing is still too loud for my taste.
I decided to cut the Racing Beat muffler open and take a look. I guess I'm going to do a repack based on what I see here:

The steel wool absolutely needs to be re done, I'm no expert on the ceramic packing, but I assume its been just used and abused at this point.

I would be very curious what that assembly looks like without any of the packing. I have 4 of those mufflers right now, including a NIB unit. I've always like the sound and as you know it's difficult to tame the harsh tones these cars make.

You should Hijack more :D.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

n8r posted:

Hey Spyder, how bad are rx8s to own reliability wise?

Do you have the budget for a engine rebuild?

Otherwise half decent-esp the 09+ cars. The R3 was the best IMO.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Is the rebuild thing just a matter of time or can you prevent it? I know there were a bunch of ecu updates at some point. I'm car shopping right now and an rx8 would be a fun option if it wasn't a massive pain.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

the spyder posted:

I would be very curious what that assembly looks like without any of the packing. I have 4 of those mufflers right now, including a NIB unit. I've always like the sound and as you know it's difficult to tame the harsh tones these cars make.

You should Hijack more :D.

Having kids made me a shell of a presence that I used to be in AI.

The "y" for the dual tip is. surprisingly small. I'll try for some pics today.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

n8r posted:

Is the rebuild thing just a matter of time or can you prevent it? I know there were a bunch of ecu updates at some point. I'm car shopping right now and an rx8 would be a fun option if it wasn't a massive pain.

Rebuild is 100% just a matter of time thanks to a bunch of engineering decisions on Mazdas part. Especially the MSP designation of the RX-8 engine and what that entails (let's move the exhaust ports to the plates without changing the side seals in any way). FullBoost out of Australia recently released a decent video covering all of the issues with the 13B-MSP.

OP is absolutely correct with the recommendation of a 2009+ due to those having all the tweaks Mazda could do to the engine (especially the oil injection revisions).

Edit: And the 09+ transmission is now a stronger Mazda unit instead of the Aisin from the NC Miata and FRS/BRZ

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 15, 2019

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I love this thread even if I'm not big on rotaries (suck it, RADL!).

It's awesome seeing you bring back FD's. Always liked the look of them and more deserve to be on the road. Plus bonus Datsun content is just gravy.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
I'm especially interested to see how the rx8 manages as I recently bought a low mileage 2010.

I'm hoping that bumping up to 5w-30 with the proper factory filter and adding a little premix will make it last.
If it does start to fail I hope I can catch it early enough to save the housing and do a cheap rebuild.

And another message of thanks for your pics and stories spyder, they make my day a little brighter.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

the spyder posted:

Unrelated- I have the same sentiment about wondering if people still read my thread :shrug:

Dude, I've been looking over your shoulder via your posts since the [M] days (I was vinividivici on there) if not the [T]ardOCP days. Now, like then I'm constantly blown away with your ability to balance documenting the poo poo you do while still getting it done!

I had one kid two years ago and now I'm loving useless about documenting what little I manage to get done these days.

Despite your shop, reputation, and, presumably workload, growing you're STILL finding the time to let us look over your shoulder.

Thank you.

Please keep it up.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

the spyder posted:

I have the same sentiment about wondering if people still read my thread :shrug:
I never miss one of your posts man. One of my favorite threads on AI!

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Okay, here it is. The tube squeezes down to 2 3/8." I always felt I was 30-50whp low on my build, this may be why. But I need to stay quiet.

My boss also just happened to have this lying around and gave it to me. I'll be replacing one of my inlines with it.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

I admire your dedication to the epitrochoid cause.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

the spyder posted:

This has been one of the greatest threads in AI of all time. If you stopped posting I would hate it! Unless you chronicled your adventures somewhere else (YouTube, Facebook etc). Don’t ghost us!

CarThrottle boys on YT recently started a new series titled ‘living with a rotary’. It’s been super interesting to see the ins and outs of the Renesis. Rob Dahm just blew his RX7 to pieces on the dyno. The siren song of a rotary has never left me. I will one day own one.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This has been one of the greatest threads in AI of all time. If you stopped posting I would hate it! Unless you chronicled your adventures somewhere else (YouTube, Facebook etc). Don’t ghost us!

CarThrottle boys on YT recently started a new series titled ‘living with a rotary’. It’s been super interesting to see the ins and outs of the Renesis. Rob Dahm just blew his RX7 to pieces on the dyno. The siren song of a rotary has never left me. I will one day own one.

Yeah I lurk often. I just don't have much input myself these days.

Dagen H posted:

I admire your dedication to the epitrochoid cause.

The shape has introduced a challenge, so I loving ripped it all out, this poor setup has been hacked and hacked over and over, a simple repack turns into fixing the problem. I don't have time for this poo poo but oh well.

Is .065 or whatever wall thickness thick enough for rotary noise?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Aeka, I doubt the rotor shaped muffler will do much except add another resonate chamber. I would consider replacing your current silencers with a rebuildable unit from Burns Stainless. There's a good chance all of them are just as bad as the RacingBeat. And no kidding about the 25+HP loss. That's a tiny pipe. I've seen up to 40HP gains removing one. I'm planning on the Burns silencer and a Borla XR1 muffler for the 3 rotor. 0.65 is plenty, you can try thicker but as you know, it's going to be heavy.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 18, 2019

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I took the last few nights off as work was eating up most my waking hours. Tonight I mounted the relay box, installed the horn, and temporarily installed the bumper. Oh and I tossed the wiper arms/blades on. While I was installing the bumper I found a shredded wire in the wheel well- a common issue. I'll repair it tomorrow. The good news is, it now is looking like a complete car.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 18, 2019

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Im already going to ditch the silencers. Considering I'm more concerned about the noise level than the power I'm going to stick with repacking the racing beat for now. However I have been wondering about adding a regular chambered muffler and the triangle silencer in the line.

Youve reminded me that I'm in the middle of changing my relays to sealed ones as I hung my relay box upside down. They got wet.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 18, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm the fake christmas tree still laying around that needs to be put in storage :v:

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'm the fake christmas tree still laying around that needs to be put in storage :v:

Haha, yeah shits a mess, im still organizing after my water heater soaked everything and we had to tear out a wall :(

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
This last week/weekend has been a wash. Between important work related things breaking in spectacular ways and family stuff, I barely sneaked a few hours overall in.

Saturday I pulled the intercooler out and took it to Rob's. The core was pretty dirty from sitting around the shop and full of metal shavings from the BOV install. I decided the quickest way to deal with this was the parts washer. Que me forgetting to take any pictures. Once it was home I decided why not fix the bent fins (as best I can with a pick) and hand polish the end tanks. Results show it was worth it. Not perfect, but definitely a noticeable change.
1/2 done.

Front done.

Back done.

Look at that bling.

This was purely to satisfy my OCD. Next up is... more powder coating!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

STR posted:

We are, but Galler and Nothing But Hate sum it up better than I can.

You do awesome work, and I'll kick anybody that disagrees in the nads. :v:

:same: