Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

selec posted:

I think the longer it drags on, the less likely it is to happen because they still have the logistical task of actually getting the question into the format they need and the structures in place to support it. Even if the court rules it's okay, past a certain point, they likely can't make it happen.

We’re beyond that. Way beyond that. We know it can’t happen anymore because we’re still uncertain that the regular census will be completed on time. Speak to people who work at census, it’s awful, I wouldn’t work there for 200% pay right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

selec posted:

I think the longer it drags on, the less likely it is to happen because they still have the logistical task of actually getting the question into the format they need and the structures in place to support it. Even if the court rules it's okay, past a certain point, they likely can't make it happen.

"Oops, we already printed all the census forms with the question in place. Too late to change it! Our bad!"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Being a right wing media personality is a very easy way for mediocre POC with no ethical core to get rich.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Spiritus Nox posted:

gently caress Wall Street and all but 2016 saw the election of Republican majorities across the entire federal government and Donald loving Trump.

Yea but this was done because the Dems stiffed the blue collar workers for Wall Street and trump simply paid them lip service.

Understand that while we KNOW trump is a pathological liar a lot of people voted for him because he was the first politician with a chance of becoming president who loudly denounced the “swamp” of corrupt politicians and elites who were viewed as self serving and beholden to big money. The fact that trump then turned around and doubled down on that afterward is something I believe a lot of people knew would happen. But I still think a portion of the blue states voted more for what he said than for him. To vent their frustration with milquetoast politicians who fiddle at the margins and never dare admit the system doesn’t work

A Trump VS Sanders election may have looked much different by comparison.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Your Taint posted:

Has anything interesting happened in the Barr hearing?

So far it’s the typical stuff where the nominee just says whatever the committee wants to hear. Barr’s done all this before. The only fireworks at this will be likely from Graham trying to make a political scene.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's kind of hard to care about these hearings. The worthless Senate has basically abdicated its duty to vet people or do anything at all really so if Trump nominated some discarded big mac carton from last night it would get confirmed possibly with Mark Warner or Doug Jones crossing the aisle.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
1000 hamberders.

Missed opportunity to have Trump sign a Big Mac box.

A dozen chuds are going to film themselves walking into a McDonald's and ordering a hamberder then giggling.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Radish posted:

It's kind of hard to care about these hearings. The worthless Senate has basically abdicated its duty to vet people or do anything at all really so if Trump nominated some discarded big mac carton from last night it would get confirmed possibly with Mark Warner or Doug Jones crossing the aisle.

The level of scum that are going to be confirmed to the federal bench and agencies in the next 2 years is truly depressing.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

Yea but this was done because the Dems stiffed the blue collar workers for Wall Street and trump simply paid them lip service.

Understand that while we KNOW trump is a pathological liar a lot of people voted for him because he was the first politician with a chance of becoming president who loudly denounced the “swamp” of corrupt politicians and elites who were viewed as self serving and beholden to big money. The fact that trump then turned around and doubled down on that afterward is something I believe a lot of people knew would happen. But I still think a portion of the blue states voted more for what he said than for him. To vent their frustration with milquetoast politicians who fiddle at the margins and never dare admit the system doesn’t work

I think you're downplaying the racial animus that played a big part in Trump's appeal. It wasn't just the lies he told people, it was the appeal to white, male supremacy.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Your Taint posted:

Has anything interesting happened in the Barr hearing?

He stumbled a lot during Feinstein's questioning.

Currently Leahy is using his time to decompose.

Also Grassley had a small conniption

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Kraftwerk posted:

None of the actual voting data bears any of this out. Clinton won people who actually saw themselves as economically worse off; Trump won people who fear minorities and fear minorities taking their stuff. The “white working class” who voted for Trump aren’t unemployed coal miners and people laid off from factories; they’re middle managers and supervisors making above-average incomes who hate minorities and the young for not being like them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/politics/2018/09/17/democrats-express-more-economic-distress-than-republicans-including-among-whites/

Article: Trump won economically disadvantaged areas, but not because he won economically disadvantaged voters in those areas: https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...ewed-wealthier/

https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/558674/

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 15, 2019

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hadn't realized Barr was at the CIA for four years while GHWB was Director.

That's enough to disqualify him in my mind.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Pylons posted:

I think you're downplaying the racial animus that played a big part in Trump's appeal. It wasn't just the lies he told people, it was the appeal to white, male supremacy.

Economic anxiety lives on.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

friendbot2000 posted:

Idk bud, if you don't agree that you shouldn't confront racism wherever you see it and not allow children to be abused through creepy purity balls then I would say you disagree with more than 90 percent of my politics

I 100% agree with you. It's just that you have at best a glancing, distorted understanding of what I wrote about. Despite that, and despite you probably somewhere in your brain knowing that you don't have the full picture, here we are...to what end, I'm not sure.

Anyway, I'm not going away, and I don't see you suddenly deciding to get a more complete understanding, so it's probably not worth discussing further. Maybe put me on ignore or something, it'll probably make you feel better.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/scottwongdc/status/1085195184634191873?s=21

I’m sure we’ll get a lot of great takes from this

selec
Sep 6, 2003

bobjr posted:

It's pretty important that the losers from the dying wing of the party get platformed. You never know what kind of gems you might shake out from people who didn't keep their jobs, and have no real idea why.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

bobjr posted:

She was on this morning and blamed Mitch McConnell.

She's a total nothing.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

bobjr posted:

Maybe she'll explain why a freshman member of Congress getting air time on 60 minutes to talk policy is in fact bad.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

bobjr posted:

She fits well into the both sides narrative that the media loves.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Cable news really is the dumping ground for garbage politicians to get their welfare.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Potential BFF posted:

How is the aquarium these days? I have fond memories of visiting when I was a kid, the rooftop rainforest bit was amazing. It was nearly 20 years ago at this point but they had a dope rear end jellyfish exhibit running for a while too.

Sadly I haven't been in ages, because it's stupid expensive ($39.95 for adults) . It is definitely an awesome place though, and that rainforest part is cool as hell even just to walk by outside.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

bobjr posted:

She voted against :beer: when she knew it would cost her seat. Good on her.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I once worked in a political office that retained McCaskill's nephew as an intern whose sole meaningful contribution was batting cleanup on our softball squad.

In related news do not slide at any field on the National Mall you will get MRSA.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Sexual Aluminum posted:

lol that's not what cost her a seat.

Tons of politicians in her state went left and won. She aimed for the middle and got beat by a trash candidate, and has spent every second of her time since making GBS threads on AOC.

She's trash, OP

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I once worked in a political office that retained McCaskill's nephew as an intern whose sole meaningful contribution was batting cleanup on our softball squad.

In related news do not slide at any field on the National Mall you will get MRSA.

I mean that's just Tuesday though, presumably you'll also get cholera or something right now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sexual Aluminum posted:

That didn't cost her a seat. Her sucking and a being a mediocre centrist who no one was excited to vote for cost her a seat.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I will glad pay you Tuesday for a Hamberder today

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

It's seriously blowing my mind he still hasn't deleted the hamberder tweet. I think he really thinks that's what they're called.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Given Trump's love of fast food he probably bought all that just so he could eat a gently caress load of it himself.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
"Trump cannot possibly be so stupid that he can't spell hamburger."

https://twitter.com/travis_view/status/1085187950197919747

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Taerkar posted:

Economic anxiety lives on.

While Trump clearly has the white supremacist demographic's support, it's hard to ignore Trump's election in the context of similar right-wing populist blowhards around the world; Doug Ford in Canada, the rise of Lega Nord in Italy, Bolsonaro in Brazil, whatever precipitated Brexit etc etc. There's clearly an international reaction against *neoliberalism*, fueled in part by diminishing economic prospects as the global economy grinds down western workers, and it's disappointing that centrists might not have figured this out yet. Democrats can't afford to run a Wall Street friendly candidate in 2020, especially given the critical importance of that election.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Crow Jane posted:

It's seriously blowing my mind he still hasn't deleted the hamberder tweet. I think he really thinks that's what they're called.

Not only that, but since no staffer who sometimes in the past would delete or edit tweets like this one has come and done that, my bet is that staffer is one of the many people exited from the admin in the last month or so. Kelly?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

When she knew she was already losing her seat

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Crow Jane posted:

I really don't think it's a typo, those letters are nowhere near each other on a keyboard.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

VH4Ever posted:

Not only that, but since no staffer who sometimes in the past would delete or edit tweets like this one has come and done that, my bet is that staffer is one of the many people exited from the admin in the last month or so. Kelly?

I know that due to the shutdown it’s a reduced staff at the WH right now, but how bad is it? Is there even someone in the building vetting his tweets right now?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Nocturtle posted:

While Trump clearly has the white supremacist demographic's support, it's hard to ignore Trump's election in the context of similar right-wing populist blowhards around the world; Doug Ford in Canada, the rise of Lega Nord in Italy, Bolsonaro in Brazil, whatever precipitated Brexit etc etc. There's clearly an international reaction against *neoliberalism*, fueled in part by diminishing economic prospects as the global economy grinds down western workers, and it's disappointing that centrists might not have figured this out yet. Democrats can't afford to run a Wall Street friendly candidate in 2020, especially given the critical importance of that election.
Those are all driven by masculine-white supremacy though, except possibly Bolsonaro and Lega Nord (I don't know enough about Italian or Brazilian politics to say for sure)

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Maybe he's boycotting the word "hamburger" because Angela Merkel was mean to him

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1085205226481537026?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Crow Jane posted:

Looks like you spoke a little too soon, it's gone now.