Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
My explanation of benefits and my statement from my healthcare provider have different amounts on them. I had an xray done in the summer, and my EOB says that the billed amount was $190, but under patient's responsibility it says $48.20.

I got the statement from my provider yesterday and it says I owe $190.

On my EOB on the row detailing the charges there is a "reason code" and below the summary of the charge there is a reason code description that states:

quote:

The amount exceeds the Plan's Reasonable and Allowed Amount that generally limits the maximum amount payable to 160% of the Medicare Allowable.
Providers are reimbursed in accordance with the governing Plan Document up to the Reasonable and Allowed Amount less any required deductibles/
copays/coinsurance and subject to Plan limitations and exclusions as set forth in the Plan Document at the time the charges are incurred. Under the
terms of the Plan Document, an Assignment of Benefits is valid only when the Provider accepts the Reasonable and Allowed Amount as consideration in
full for the services rendered. Consideration in full requires that the Provider refrain from seeking any additional payment for Excess Charges directly from
the Plan Participant (i.e. balance billing the patient). If you receive a balance bill from your provider call the Patient Advocacy Center at 888.837.2237.

What exactly the gently caress does that mean? I've been going to physical therapy for several months now, and now I'm worried I'm going to end up with huge bills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

That is the fundamental way every insurance claim I've ever seen works. If you go to an in network provider, they bill the insurance $9,000,000 for an aspirin, the insurance company says no we will give you $0.32 (and you get to go bankrupt if the insurance company claims they weren't in network after all).

I don't pay any providers until the bill they send matches what the insurance company says I should pay them, unless there is a specific reason why they don't match that I'm aware of.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
So who do I get in touch with? The insurance company, my provider, or that advocacy number on the EOB?

Also, the EOB isn't actually the insurance provider, they are a benefits administrator. Our company does self insurance, and there are "no networks" and we are free to go to anyone we choose!*

*oh except in this** particular instance we're gonna gently caress you over and say you shouldn't have gone here.

** every particular instance.

Edit: I even called and spoke with the benefits administrator to make sure I could get the xray, and had to get a prior authorization through them before starting PT. gently caress this dumb country's health care.

BAE OF PIGS fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 25, 2018

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Call the billing department of the physical therapists office and tell them your insurance says you should owe $48

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

BAE OF PIGS posted:

My explanation of benefits and my statement from my healthcare provider have different amounts on them. I had an xray done in the summer, and my EOB says that the billed amount was $190, but under patient's responsibility it says $48.20.

I got the statement from my provider yesterday and it says I owe $190.

On my EOB on the row detailing the charges there is a "reason code" and below the summary of the charge there is a reason code description that states:

What exactly the gently caress does that mean? I've been going to physical therapy for several months now, and now I'm worried I'm going to end up with huge bills.

Did your insurance send you the check or did they send it to the provider?

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
They've never sent me anything before.

I called on Friday, talked to someone who said that they have on file that the EOB they got said I owe $48, but there was a note or something about them not having a contract with our insurance provider. The lady on the phone said she didn't know what that meant, so they were going to have their people who talk to the insurance companies call and get it sorted out. I never got a call back on Friday, and I didn't get one today either, but I checked my balance just now to see if anything was updated on the website, and it's been adjusted down to $9.64.

I'm cool with that.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
So I’m in MD and currently I have geico for home and auto. They keep bumping my auto premium by a few bucks each period and it’s kind of annoying and beginning to approach the amount it was at my previous provider, which prompted me to switch to geico.

I have a good diving record aside from an accident which I was not at fault for last July. My wife is also on the policy and she has a single speeding ticket from like two ears ago. We both drive camrys, so nothing crazy in that regard.

Do you typically get better rates going through an agent or direct? I’d be looking to move both policies for a discount.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

So I’m in MD and currently I have geico for home and auto. They keep bumping my auto premium by a few bucks each period and it’s kind of annoying and beginning to approach the amount it was at my previous provider, which prompted me to switch to geico.

I have a good diving record aside from an accident which I was not at fault for last July. My wife is also on the policy and she has a single speeding ticket from like two ears ago. We both drive camrys, so nothing crazy in that regard.

Do you typically get better rates going through an agent or direct? I’d be looking to move both policies for a discount.

An independent agent can get you quotes from multiple carriers for comparison and will have a better understanding of what kind of coverage you should have. Going though an agent is the safest bet.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Hi insurance thread. What's the consensus on short-term disability insurance? There's a good chance my wife will get pregnant this year. So probably smart to sign up for short term disability now, right?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

AndrewP posted:

Hi insurance thread. What's the consensus on short-term disability insurance? There's a good chance my wife will get pregnant this year. So probably smart to sign up for short term disability now, right?

This is outside of my realm of knowledge, and you should definitely discuss with her/your HR or plan administrator, but my instinct is that you want to coverage in-force before she's pregnant, not just because it would be a pre-existing condition but in case she needs to leave work early (complications, etc.).

It's open enrollment season so she may have an employer paid (or contributed) option for this coverage.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

13Pandora13 posted:

This is outside of my realm of knowledge, and you should definitely discuss with her/your HR or plan administrator, but my instinct is that you want to coverage in-force before she's pregnant, not just because it would be a pre-existing condition but in case she needs to leave work early (complications, etc.).

It's open enrollment season so she may have an employer paid (or contributed) option for this coverage.

Yeah, OE is why it came up. She's not pregnant now and we decided to get it. Thanks!

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I am switching homeowner's insurance and have a couple goofy questions.

1. Is it worth paying for "Open Peril" coverage on personal property? It seems like any insurance company would have lawyers who would button up the list of excluded perils to make this coverage almost completely worthless so I'm not really seeing the benefit. This seems to be equivalent to upgrading from HO-3 to HO-5.

2. Is it worth paying for more than $1 million of umbrella coverage? I have seen people say to use net worth as a guide but that really glosses over a lot of specifics about assets protected from settlements (retirement accounts, home equity) so it feels like there should be a better way.

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009
Insurance Thread, I need your help....Apologies for the length.

My husband became eligible for benefits in December of 2017 with his ‘new’ job, (effective Jan 2018 for their OE cycles). He has his Medical/Dental/Vision through my spousal plan at my employer, (and has), since I’m in a much more stable environment, (over 19 years with same employer). But, we still got the gamut of extras through his employer of STD, AD&D, Extra Life, etc since it wasn’t much, and why not take advantage of those cheap extras on top of what he has through me.

A few months ago we got notice from Allstate, (who is their provider for work whole life plans....I know, I know), that due to non-payment the Life on him would be cancelled unless he started to paid directly. Fast forward many phone calls over the last couple months have resulted in this:

1. Fundamental (his employer’s payroll/benefits mgr), has consistently deducted from his pay all dues & they ‘claim’ sent to Allstate the entire year.
2. Allstate shows his life plan was effective 01-01-18, but terminated later that month due to non-payment.
3. Allstate shows his spousal life on me, (50% of his amount), is still paid & fully in effect, (even though my 50% of his amount is based on him, well, having an active policy in the first place, so how can mine even exist?).
4. At one point on a conference call with Allstate & Fundamental, Allstate stated they also showed a child WL plan in underwriting since Jan. ‘18, (um, we have no kids, and also, stuck in underwriting for 10+ months on an 80k policy, even if we ‘did’ have a kid, really?).
5. Allstate refused to say anything else other than direct us to the Fundamental-assigned corporate agent, and said the employee would have to call them.
6. Fundamental-assigned Allstate agent does not return our voicemails x5 over 5 weeks, and Fundamental rep says they can’t get a response either.

Soooo, for his new OE effective Jan ‘19, we have dropped the 80k WL employee policy, (as well as the 40k WL spouse policy on me). Fundamental says they are still working to get answers regardless of us opting out of the WL this upcoming year.

Are we, (or him in this case), entitled to a refund of dues since it was cancelled, but they’ve still been sent the money, (possibly storing in some random child plan stuck in underwriting), all year?

Is it worth it to file a complaint with Texas Dept Insurance? His policy premiums/deductions is about ~$700. But we’re worried the Allstate rep was stating, “If we messed up we’ll retroactively issue the policy”. Seems like a way for them to get out of refunding money on a plan that hasn’t existed all year.

Ugh, fawk Insurance.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

#1, what does his company's HR say about this?

It' really important to listen to know if this was just a mistake (in which case we can tell you how to proceed) or if your husband just got early notification that it's time to look for a new job.

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009

Motronic posted:

#1, what does his company's HR say about this?

It' really important to listen to know if this was just a mistake (in which case we can tell you how to proceed) or if your husband just got early notification that it's time to look for a new job.

I’ve been handling most of it, (he freaks out with anxiety, among other things, when it comes to even ‘routine’ HR things). Thankfully, once Fundamental got their HIPPA release, they’ve been very open with me. I’ve dealt with the same rep on almost all of the calls. I honestly believe they just don’t have any clue though. I get the impression they perform HR/benefit duties for so many small companies, that it’s a guessing game for them. But at least they’ll communicate with us, unlike Allstate. From what I’ve seen on his online Fundamental Benefits account, as well as his myallstate benefits account, I’m leaning towards Allstate dropping the ball. (They even showed an Accidental Injury policy temporarily issued for a few months on him, despite his employer using MetLife for those plans). I suspect the Allstate assigned rep is over-burdened and is screwing up accounts).

Edit - his immediate employer/HR person is small enough that they pretty much say, (we don’t even have access to your pay, let alone your deductions or benefits. You need to contact Fundamental/Trion for questions).

Madbullogna fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 3, 2018

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

He needs to go back to his company's HR department and tell them that he is not getting the answers he needs from their outsourced HR. The benefits he is not receiving are part of his compensation, and he needs them to be in place.

He should probably be looking for another job, and getting therapy if he can't handle dealing with HR and benefits administrators.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Alright, a friend of mine commented on a Facebook post and it got me thinking: why the hell would a company choose to self-insure? Google tells me this is to "save money" by cutting the middle man of the insurance company out of the picture and thus not paying the insurance company's slice of profit. The probability and statistics education in me says that this is a terrible idea because it means the company has a razor thin margin of error on its insurance forecasts and is exposed to a lot more risk than by simply sticking its chunk of employees in the much larger risk pool of a dedicated insurance company.

Am I wrong? Am I insane?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Warmachine posted:

Alright, a friend of mine commented on a Facebook post and it got me thinking: why the hell would a company choose to self-insure? Google tells me this is to "save money" by cutting the middle man of the insurance company out of the picture and thus not paying the insurance company's slice of profit. The probability and statistics education in me says that this is a terrible idea because it means the company has a razor thin margin of error on its insurance forecasts and is exposed to a lot more risk than by simply sticking its chunk of employees in the much larger risk pool of a dedicated insurance company.

Am I wrong? Am I insane?

Not necessarily. The companies who (smartly) self-insure are huge. There's a tipping point where insurance premiums get so high that it's more cost effective to take on that risk as an expense for a company. We're talking insurance premiums in the multi-millions here.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Warmachine posted:

Am I wrong? Am I insane?

Yes, you’re wrong.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Vomik posted:

Yes, you’re wrong.

Pretty much. If you're big enough to do this you have an actuary.....more like a team of them.....just like the insurance companies and you can figure out your breakeven. When you achieve that you self insure.

This isn't magic. It's obviously a legit business model for insurance companies, so why wouldn't it be a cost saving measure to NOT pay the margin to an insurance company once you achieve a statistically significant risk pool?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
If a company has 50k employees it absolutely makes sense to self insure. My company self insires but has insurance companies administer the plans. Then the company decides each year whether to raise rates or deductibles. They charge extra for smokers which also makes a ton of sense.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Vomik posted:

Yes, you’re wrong.

This was pretty glib so let me help explain.

Insurance is purchased to reduce the risk of ruin... people insure things they can’t afford to lose. So for example you and I would insure cars but a billionaire for example would not purchase car insurance.

The same reason you wouldn’t insure a $5 item you bought on amazon is the same reason google won’t purchase external insurance.

Now they still would use networks and administrators to handle claims/premiums most likely. Group insurance is typically rated at the company level anyway so even if a large co bought insurance it’d be priced in a similar way to how they’d measure it.

Now this doesn’t get into things like, say, pensions where they may feel it’s worthwhile to externally hand off ownership to a company who specializes in that risk.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I should also clarify - my earlier post was in reference to P&C insurance.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Alright. I feel better now. My thought was predicated on a very simple model of "larger pool, lower risk," and wasn't really considering what "sufficiently large" meant in this case. A company that can afford to administer the benefits itself will do so (my friend's employer), but a smaller organization that would be more sensitive to the costs would likely buy insurance (my employer). Does this sound like a better understanding of the policy?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Warmachine posted:

Alright. I feel better now. My thought was predicated on a very simple model of "larger pool, lower risk," and wasn't really considering what "sufficiently large" meant in this case. A company that can afford to administer the benefits itself will do so (my friend's employer), but a smaller organization that would be more sensitive to the costs would likely buy insurance (my employer). Does this sound like a better understanding of the policy?

And remember, you can do things like hire Cigna to handle everything but your company pays for the stuff you consume. Basically you wind up with Cigna going: "Ok it's $X/month/person to administer these benefits, and people used $12,000 in services this month, please give us a check for ($12,000 + $X*People). The $X covers all of the network contract management, prescription drug pricing, etc. So even if it looks like your employer is paying for insurance, they might be just cutting a check on the backend for all of the "risk" component.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Warmachine posted:

Am I wrong? Am I insane?

What exactly are they self insuring? Health insurance for their employees, Property, Casualty (Liability), etc.?

Like most mentioned above, very large companies will self-insure a lot of lines, or have a tremendous self-insured retention (basically, the amount they're on the hook for before any policy will kick in). Disney has millions in liability coverage but they also have a multi-million dollar SIR (that, to the best of my knowledge, has never been pierced, but I've never seen the TPA runs personally to know).

You also get very small companies that self-insure because they can't afford coverage, and just pray really hard nothing happens until they can afford coverage. And the mom and pop shops that have never had coverage because pop was a handshake kind of businessman so when 1. he dies and his kids take over they immediately go "holy poo poo, the company has operated bare for 35 years and dad was the luckiest SOB alive to never get sued in that period," and get coverage then, OR 2. he does get sued, nearly loses the business paying out the claim out of pocket, and gets insurance the following year.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

13Pandora13 posted:

What exactly are they self insuring? Health insurance for their employees, Property, Casualty (Liability), etc.?

Like most mentioned above, very large companies will self-insure a lot of lines, or have a tremendous self-insured retention (basically, the amount they're on the hook for before any policy will kick in). Disney has millions in liability coverage but they also have a multi-million dollar SIR (that, to the best of my knowledge, has never been pierced, but I've never seen the TPA runs personally to know).

You also get very small companies that self-insure because they can't afford coverage, and just pray really hard nothing happens until they can afford coverage. And the mom and pop shops that have never had coverage because pop was a handshake kind of businessman so when 1. he dies and his kids take over they immediately go "holy poo poo, the company has operated bare for 35 years and dad was the luckiest SOB alive to never get sued in that period," and get coverage then, OR 2. he does get sued, nearly loses the business paying out the claim out of pocket, and gets insurance the following year.

3. Dad ran the business with as close to 0 in assets as possible and closed up shop immediately upon being sued. It's basically a blend of 1 and 2.

(And as I understand it, it's the health insurance. They pay the columns in the EOB that Cigna would normally pay.)

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
My wife is employed by the State of Illinois, and none of her claims for this plan year have been paid to the providers. On the insurance website, they all say “Approved. Awaiting funding.” Apparently Illinois decides to not pay the insurance company any money yet.

Now we’ve started to receive bills from the providers for the full, non-negotiated amounts. So $200+ doctors bills for what should be a $30 copay.

Should we be making any payments in the mean time? If so, how much? Like for the above example:
The doctors bill was $250
The insurance company’s rate was $160
Our normal copay is $30

Personally I’m hesitant to make any payments at all.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Initio posted:

My wife is employed by the State of Illinois, and none of her claims for this plan year have been paid to the providers. On the insurance website, they all say “Approved. Awaiting funding.” Apparently Illinois decides to not pay the insurance company any money yet.

Now we’ve started to receive bills from the providers for the full, non-negotiated amounts. So $200+ doctors bills for what should be a $30 copay.

Should we be making any payments in the mean time? If so, how much? Like for the above example:
The doctors bill was $250
The insurance company’s rate was $160
Our normal copay is $30

Personally I’m hesitant to make any payments at all.

gently caress the State of Illinois they've been playing this game for y e a r s, but also gently caress the providers for not patiently dealing with it.

Who's her particular insurer?

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
She has Aetna.

I’m guessing that it’s too much to hope for that Illinois gets their act together any time soon. Most of the articles I’ve been reading about the issue are from 2017.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Initio posted:

She has Aetna.

I’m guessing that it’s too much to hope for that Illinois gets their act together any time soon. Most of the articles I’ve been reading about the issue are from 2017.

Regardless they should only be on the hook for the negotiated amount if you went to in-network providers. Make sure all of your co-pays are paid and call them to ask for some time, they may even be required to give it by their contract. Call Aetna and ask them as well. I have a feeling this will sort itself out in a month or so.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I have an insurance policy for a condo (HO-6) that is expiring soon. The premiums jumped (doubled..) so I'm shopping. The coverage is the same so it's probably just a first year thing.

Anyway, I noticed my current insurer offers loss of use "actual loss sustained" but the new quotes I've been getting are all limited (2k/month). Does actual loss include things like rent/hotel/food etc.. for a new place? Or is it just paying for things like mortgage if I can't live in the property? I live in an HCOL area and can't imagine having to pay a mortgage and rent on another place to live..

The price difference isn't crazy ($100), so maybe the year 2 quote is good, but I just wanted to better understand this one bit. Thanks!

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Bank posted:

I have an insurance policy for a condo (HO-6) that is expiring soon. The premiums jumped (doubled..) so I'm shopping. The coverage is the same so it's probably just a first year thing.

Anyway, I noticed my current insurer offers loss of use "actual loss sustained" but the new quotes I've been getting are all limited (2k/month). Does actual loss include things like rent/hotel/food etc.. for a new place? Or is it just paying for things like mortgage if I can't live in the property? I live in an HCOL area and can't imagine having to pay a mortgage and rent on another place to live..

The price difference isn't crazy ($100), so maybe the year 2 quote is good, but I just wanted to better understand this one bit. Thanks!

What does the policy say?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

So I'm shopping around for Invisalign and I plan to start my treatment in July since that's when I'll get access to FSA money for 2019. This also means I can change my dental plan during open enrollment in May.

Thing is, I don't quite understand which is the better deal listed under the orthodontia benefits:

a: Plan paying 50% based on contractual fee agreed upon by dentist
b: Plan paying 50% and then paying 50% coinsurance

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

air- posted:

So I'm shopping around for Invisalign and I plan to start my treatment in July since that's when I'll get access to FSA money for 2019. This also means I can change my dental plan during open enrollment in May.

Thing is, I don't quite understand which is the better deal listed under the orthodontia benefits:

a: Plan paying 50% based on contractual fee agreed upon by dentist
b: Plan paying 50% and then paying 50% coinsurance

For in-network they are the same. For example:

a: In-network, Billed $6000, Contractual Fee is $5000, they cut a check for $2500, you get a bill for $2500.
b: In-network, Billed $6000, "maximum allowable amount" is $5000, they cut a check for $2500, you get a bill for $2500.
c: Out of network, Billed $6000, "Maximum allowable amount" is $4000 (gently caress you), they cut a check for $2000, you get a bill for $4000.
d: Out of network, Billed $6000, "Maximum allowable amount" is $5000, they cut a check for $2500, you get a bill for $3500.

For out of network it depends on how close to the in-network fee your orthodontist is willing to accept. If you have someone you are talking to already I would call and ask to speak to their insurance billing person and ask them which one pays them the most for what you want because you have a choice coming up in May. You should be getting pre-authorization and an exact statement of how much everything will cost before incurring costs.

Note orthodontia is always a "lifetime maximum" on every plan I've seen, so it's basically 1-and-done. If you need more in the future you will need to use a different insurance company. (So if you never see Aetna and always see Delta Dental, maybe pick Aetna all things being similar.)

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

H110Hawk posted:

For in-network they are the same. For example:

a: In-network, Billed $6000, Contractual Fee is $5000, they cut a check for $2500, you get a bill for $2500.
b: In-network, Billed $6000, "maximum allowable amount" is $5000, they cut a check for $2500, you get a bill for $2500.
c: Out of network, Billed $6000, "Maximum allowable amount" is $4000 (gently caress you), they cut a check for $2000, you get a bill for $4000.
d: Out of network, Billed $6000, "Maximum allowable amount" is $5000, they cut a check for $2500, you get a bill for $3500.

For out of network it depends on how close to the in-network fee your orthodontist is willing to accept. If you have someone you are talking to already I would call and ask to speak to their insurance billing person and ask them which one pays them the most for what you want because you have a choice coming up in May. You should be getting pre-authorization and an exact statement of how much everything will cost before incurring costs.

Note orthodontia is always a "lifetime maximum" on every plan I've seen, so it's basically 1-and-done. If you need more in the future you will need to use a different insurance company. (So if you never see Aetna and always see Delta Dental, maybe pick Aetna all things being similar.)

Thanks for all the tips. I've scheduled appointments with several orthodontists in my area doing comparison shopping and I wasn't sure how to approach this question.

Just double checking on the pre-authorization, I was under the impression you had to actually be a member on those plans to get a pre-authorization?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

air- posted:

Thanks for all the tips. I've scheduled appointments with several orthodontists in my area doing comparison shopping and I wasn't sure how to approach this question.

Just double checking on the pre-authorization, I was under the impression you had to actually be a member on those plans to get a pre-authorization?

Correct. But they should have an idea of how these plans work. Bring the printout of your open enrollment descriptions with you.

Overall you should go with the best person for the job and expect to pay a bit more for the privilege. (potentially thousands more, I don't know what this stuff costs.)

I don't work in insurance but have played this song and dance before. Take notes anytime you talk to someone promising you things and 100% of the time you call your insurance. Name, date, reference number (insurance), and a few words about what you spoke about and any specific promises made. Remember that "covered" could mean example 'c' above.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Not sure if this is the right thread but my simple question is: I was stopped in traffic, hit from behind and hit the car in front of me. Should I tell my insurance company?

Long story:

I was driving, stopped in traffic. The guy behind me hit me, and I hit the car in front of me. There is very little damage to the car in front of me, minor damage to my car that I don't intend to fix and heavier damage to the guy who hit me. Should I call my insurance company and tell them this happened and that I don't intend to file a claim? I'm worried that lady in front of me is going to file a claim and then it'll come back to me and I'll be involved. There's also a chance she goes directly to his insurance company. But anyway, I'd rather not tell my insurance company anything, unless, of course, lady comes after me in which case I want my insurance company to have had a heads up and see my dash cam video.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Yes, file a claim. It will let your carrier do a timely investigation and defend you against any claims.

Also your policy likely has a clause requiring you advise them about any accidental you're involved in.

LongDarkNight fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

dexter6 posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread but my simple question is: I was stopped in traffic, hit from behind and hit the car in front of me. Should I tell my insurance company?

Long story:

I was driving, stopped in traffic. The guy behind me hit me, and I hit the car in front of me. There is very little damage to the car in front of me, minor damage to my car that I don't intend to fix and heavier damage to the guy who hit me. Should I call my insurance company and tell them this happened and that I don't intend to file a claim? I'm worried that lady in front of me is going to file a claim and then it'll come back to me and I'll be involved. There's also a chance she goes directly to his insurance company. But anyway, I'd rather not tell my insurance company anything, unless, of course, lady comes after me in which case I want my insurance company to have had a heads up and see my dash cam video.

Depending on the state, the fault for the accident with the lady in front of you may very well be yours. In a lot of places, you did not leave sufficient distance between you and her, therefore you rear-ended her.

It's an odds game, though. Filing a claim if she doesn't file one will probably mean your rates get jacked up for nothing.