Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Over There posted:

Don't preorder games.

I'll do what i want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Buy all games for full price at launch and play them to completion.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The game asked me to when I finished the demo it took advantage of me I was vulnerable :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

exquisite tea posted:

Buy all games for full price at launch

:hmmyes:

exquisite tea posted:

and play them to completion.

:negative:

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Pre ordering games is dumb consumer behaviour and deserves to be called out but also resident evil 2 is gonna be great

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Is it ok if I pre-order it at like 11pm so that it preloads so it's ready for me at midnight?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SettingSun posted:

Is it ok if I pre-order it at like 11pm so that it preloads so it's ready for me at midnight?

Yeah I've got Friday off and did it so I can begin scaring myself at 12am sharp.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Playing the RE2 demo on PC gave me a lot of hype for DMCV because it's built on the same engine and my system was running everything maxed at 80+ fps. That's gonna be a treat.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

JBP posted:

I'd love it more than anything of we started to get quality sub-ten hour games which are a great experience end to end. Same thing happened with Vanquish, but games like that are the perfect weekend investment to me and a replay is often well worth it.
From Software ain't going nowhere. Bloodborne, at least, can be knocked out in under half an hour.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Whalley posted:

From Software ain't going nowhere. Bloodborne, at least, can be knocked out in under half an hour.

Bloodborne took me two years to beat. I'm talking about a more chill game you can get the hang of and move through in the same way you'd enjoy watching a movie or series. Sekiro is probably a 5 hour game for lunatics and a 50 hour game for casual players.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Preordering a new game in your favorite series in disk form is okay in my book. I learned my lesson after Mass Effect Andromeda and digital purchases. Now I can't even turn that poo poo in for GameStop credit or whatever. It was just a total waste of money and time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Doom is probably my best example of a real popcorn game that's actually spoiled by being slightly too long.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

JBP posted:

Bloodborne took me two years to beat. I'm talking about a more chill game you can get the hang of and move through in the same way you'd enjoy watching a movie or series. Sekiro is probably a 5 hour game for lunatics and a 50 hour game for casual players.

I recently replayed Shadow of the Colossus in about 3.5 hours one afternoon and you really do get treated to a beautiful and complete story that way. It's weird how much more violent Wander comes off when you're taking down 16 colossi in a few minutes apiece.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

SettingSun posted:

Yeah that's not the same as the folk who preordered fallout 76 when it was announced :cheeky:

God its just the dumbest. Being so enamoured with a promise that you are willing to pay the money months in advance. You wouldn't do it with a pizza.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I would totally order pizza a month in advance.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

E: me dumb. Too hot

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

JBP posted:

Then I'm totally on board because yeah BB took me way too long.

We all used to get so upset at short-rear end games you had to buy a disk for but now I really want some of that action back in a non-indie space. A and AA gaming used to be full of tiny poo poo that was a loving delight to play. They were bombastic and knew when to end.

I'm finally playing Horizon and it's so cool but holy poo poo I've put ten hours into it and feel like things are just starting to take off on a grander scale, compared to ten hours in Wet which kicks you in with over-the-top poo poo from point zero and had me at the end credits in that time.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I digitally preorder most of the games I’m interested in and have rarely ever been burned because I have a good sense of knowing what I like.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Whalley posted:

Then I'm totally on board because yeah BB took me way too long.

We all used to get so upset at short-rear end games you had to buy a disk for but now I really want some of that action back in a non-indie space. A and AA gaming used to be full of tiny poo poo that was a loving delight to play. They were bombastic and knew when to end.

I'm finally playing Horizon and it's so cool but holy poo poo I've put ten hours into it and feel like things are just starting to take off on a grander scale, compared to ten hours in Wet which kicks you in with over-the-top poo poo from point zero and had me at the end credits in that time.

I've played some long-rear end games this year but I most enjoy the 4-8 hour experience with high production values that you can finish in a couple days and be done with. There used to be a whole market for this stuff in the AA space back in the early 2000s but the extremes have kind of pushed into either 100 hour forevergames or horrible pixel art trash.

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
yes please more condensed video games recommendations!

Right now I have to choose between replaying the first area in Bloodborne for the umpteenth time (which i've chosen contrary to thread's recommendation of getting Yakuza 0) or embarking on the very draining journey of TLOU, which I just can't find energy for at the end of a work day + family time.

And I had almost unlocked the shortcut after the bridge werewolves on BB before I had to leave home for grown-up stuff. I just switched it on REST MODE and haven't checked on it for the last week. Is it still there or I'm back at the drat lamp? I'm still having fun though, I think :bloodborne:

cosmin fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 15, 2019

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
I preordered most games I play.

Because I read articles and reviews and post and a lot of information before the game is released, and I am filled with hype.

I rarely get burn, because I have low standards.

The last game I got burn was Vampyr, and is not even a bad game, but is very far from what I want in a game at this moment in my life. I did not preordered it.

I don't loving care about pre-order rewards, but If I can't pre-load the game to play it the second it become available, I start to generate black smoke around me.

To me videogames are about the shared experience, to play a game while people is talking about it on the internets.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Yakuza's... not that good :ohdear:

I mean it's loving fantastic if you want a long form dramatic soap opera with a bunch of cool characters and some great gameplay but they're also at their heart long-rear end RPGs and I wound up dropping 4, 5, and 6 at around the 15 hour mark each and never had the desire to open them up and keep playing. They feel like a commitment that honestly I just can't give the time they need.

Saying that I've put like twenty hours into Steep so far, even though it's by all accounts a bad game, so my opinions are largely loving garbage.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Neddy Seagoon posted:

ZOE2 has full VR gameplay, with you sitting in the cockpit and it's actually really neat. I'm pretty immune to VR motion sickness though, so I can't say either way in that regard. Cutscenes are shown in a black void with a floating static screen like if you were watching a movie.

Also get yourself Astro Bot: Rescue Mission at the very least. It's pretty much the best exclusive to get.

edit: drat you, Steve Yun! :argh:

Also no motion sickness for me while playing it. A huge problem with what it does with cut scenes is some of the cut scenes are fake early 2000s cut scenes. Meaning in game cut scenes that wouldn't have seemed unnatural playing it out of VR that just show your character hovering around in the level for a second. It constantly pulls you out of the VR view to show you this in 3rd person in addition to normal cut scenes. They really should have had those parts be changed to in the cockpit.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Macaluso posted:

Persona 5 update: WHAT THE gently caress

Man do I actually need to play this game or something

I bought it on release day because Persona is (WAS) one of my favorite franchises but man did I just not go for it. First handful of hours started strong, but I struggled to get to the shut-in's palace (pyramid) and gave up. Game is just too woke for me I think.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Whalley posted:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Whalley posted:

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Whalley posted:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Whalley posted:

I mean it's loving fantastic if you want a long form dramatic soap opera with a bunch of cool characters and some great gameplay but they're also at their heart long-rear end RPGs and I wound up dropping 4, 5, and 6 at around the 15 hour mark each and never had the desire to open them up and keep playing. They feel like a commitment that honestly I just can't give the time they need.

Saying that I've put like twenty hours into Steep so far, even though it's by all accounts a bad game, so my opinions are largely loving garbage.

I can't believe you changed your av after like 12 years

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Whalley posted:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

shoulda ordered that steelbook baby, or just gone with shopto and had it a day early for a cheaper price.

edit: 30th of jan!? i loving swear if amazon.co.uk delays my order im gonna... im gonna...

edit2: fuckers claiming they will deliver it on the 26th!? goddamn i remember when amazon were the best in the biz and you'd get a game release 5 weeks early and no one would bat an eye. but i really want that steelbook. :negative:

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 15, 2019

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
I have a long background has PC gamer. Even more than that, my diet of games has been mostly USA and European games. ( I may have played famous japanese games, without knowing they were japanese, but even then, most games I have bought where not console games, or games made by japanese people.)

Because of this, many of the games this thread recommend, are not applicable to me.
I still bough some of them, my logic is "Maybe If I understand why this guys love this game, and I will have fun too", but so far is more miss than hit.

There's a long list of games this thread love, and are not very fun to me.

I believe the opposite is probably true. Many games that this thread is not interested (or even actively hate), are my collection gems.

--
My point is this thread favorites are not universal, and thats not a bad thing.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Tei posted:

My point is this thread favorites are not universal, and thats not a bad thing.
I appreciate the semi-defense but like I'm a hell person who has about 20+ hours in Skate 3 in 2019 and genuinely thinks Prince of Persia 2007 is just Ico But Actually Fun so sometimes, some of us just really genuinely have bad opinions.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
You are allowed to not be into a game, but that doesn't mean its bad.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Pre-ordering was Good when Amazon had that sick 20% off deal rip. I preordered poo poo until May of this year when it was going away lol

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

Pre-ordering was Good when Amazon had that sick 20% off deal rip. I preordered poo poo until May of this year when it was going away lol

In Canada we just had like 30% pre-order discounts for E3, which were even crazier because 1) sometimes they would gently caress up and double-apply it 2) back in 2013-2015 when game SRP went from $60CAD to $80CAD you could lock in a lower price by pre-ordering. So it was possible and not even that hard to only pay $30 or $40 CAD for day one titles, as long as they existed to pre-order while an E3 was going on (so games announced after E3 and released before the next E3 were ineligible). We keep expecting them to stop doing the deal but they keep doing it every year, so I have stuff like Death Stranding pre-ordered for $50CAD+tx. I should be getting Kingdom Hearts 3 for around $40CAD total, too.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Whalley posted:

I appreciate the semi-defense but like I'm a hell person who has about 20+ hours in Skate 3 in 2019 and genuinely thinks Prince of Persia 2007 is just Ico But Actually Fun so sometimes, some of us just really genuinely have bad opinions.

[F1] A satellite is going to crash on your city. What you saves? your family photos or the paintings on a art museum?

[ ] Art
[ ] Family memorabilia

[F2] A group of dumb people is laughing at a dumb joke. You try to understand the joke and have fun with them, you gets angry they are having fun?

[ ] Understanding
[ ] Rejection

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Tei posted:

[F1] A satellite is going to crash on your city. What you saves? your family photos or the paintings on a art museum?

[ ] Art
[ ] Family memorabilia

[F2] A group of dumb people is laughing at a dumb joke. You try to understand the joke and have fun with them, you gets angry they are having fun?

[ ] Understanding
[ ] Rejection
ART AND REJECTION ART AND REJECTION

WHAT DO I WIN

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Whalley posted:

ART AND REJECTION ART AND REJECTION

WHAT DO I WIN

[END SCREEN]

Future generations remembered Whalley, as the guy that saved the art.
He was remembered as sad person surrounded of happy people.

Your score is 5.

[/END SCREEN]

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Dodged a bullet on onimusha, was about to buy it and realized it has none of the genma content. That's a no buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avkky2ykNoU

I have played other Tales of, and they where mostly fun. Any opinion on this one? Tales of Vesteria.