Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I’m alarmed by the number of people who don’t understand marginal tax brackets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Shows how much Trump respects real winners

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Somebody should do a photo analysis that shows that there couldn't possibly be 1,000 burgers in that pile. It would be like the inauguration all over again. Give him something besides the wall to freak out about.

Well yeah, you wouldn't put them all out at once!

300 sandwiches seems like it'd be a little light; a FBS team has 85 scholarships, there are also walk ons in addition to that and coaches and other support staff and additional guests were clearly there as well so they were feeding well over 150 people at my guess?

Trump would skimp of course though :thunk:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Milo and POTUS posted:

Shows how much Trump respects real winners

He could have won too but he had a bone spur.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Can we get a list of attendees or is there more official records bullshit preventing that?

A Big Mac is claimed to have 563 calories.

300 x 563 = 168,900
1,000 x 563 = 563,000

Divide that by the number of attendees and keep in mind that there was pizza there too.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Also there's a pile of Filet-o-Fish in those pics.

I'm positive none of those loving things were touched.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Well yeah, you wouldn't put them all out at once!

300 sandwiches seems like it'd be a little light; a FBS team has 85 scholarships, there are also walk ons in addition to that and coaches and other support staff and additional guests were clearly there as well so they were feeding well over 150 people at my guess?

Trump would skimp of course though :thunk:

He should have gotten meal boxes from Taco Bell instead.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

psydude posted:

He should have gotten meal boxes from Taco Bell instead.

And backup the entire whitehouse toilet system?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
A big mac carton is 110mm deep by 72mm high by 120mm wide. A line of 50 big mac cartons is 236 inches long, or just over 19 and a a half feet long. Stack 20 of those lines on top of each other and you get a wall of big macs about 56 inches tall, almost 4.75 feet tall.

Let's kill two birds with one stone. Build the border wall out of big macs.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It’s troubling. Also watching the GOP freak out about what are basically just old republican policies it pretty amusing.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

As an aside. A couple years ago one of the managers at my job held an offsite at his house, and got this brilliant idea. Put $100 worth of White Castle on the company card and stack it into the shape of a client's building. Then he got mad when another manager wouldn't send a photographer over to take a professional picture of his burger building because he thought it was loving stupid.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

As Nero Danced posted:

A big mac carton is 110mm deep by 72mm high by 120mm wide. A line of 50 big mac cartons is 236 inches long, or just over 19 and a a half feet long. Stack 20 of those lines on top of each other and you get a wall of big macs about 56 inches tall, almost 4.75 feet tall.

hamburger... hamburder... hamborder!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

who had carol channing on their death pool

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Dunker-in-chief

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1085245511324581889?s=19

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

As Nero Danced posted:

Well, they won’t decay either so we’ll save tons on maintenance costs

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Even if that Walker example was the case then explain how two of those dollars went to grandpa to buy guns n ammo or pay off the local bully from beating you up and the last dollar for roads to travel to the grocery store and you might have a working example.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Is it Filets-O-Fish like editors-in-chief or Filet-O-Fishes like a proper noun or Filet-O-Fish with fish as plural of fish?

Wildcard: Filet-Os-Fish

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
its the "Fish Delight"

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

mlmp08 posted:

Is it Filets-O-Fish like editors-in-chief or Filet-O-Fishes like a proper noun or Filet-O-Fish with fish as plural of fish?

filets of fish, like sergeants major

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

mlmp08 posted:

I thought it was originally Fillet O'Fish, because the inventor was Irish Catholic who needed a fish sandwich for Lent.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/ComdtUSCG/status/1085246326944788482

Perfectly normal country

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Time for a coup :toot:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

The grover style of dinner

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Turns out Alabama were the real winners of the National Championship game

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Even the dumbest dictator manages to pay his troops on time.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Speaking of boats, the Army is eliminating its maritime units:

https://gcaptain.com/u-s-army-to-di...HwHAEiCf8lNxgbg

quote:

U.S. Army Maritime capabilities will be radically reduced this year as the service deactivates and divests itself of numerous vessels, watercraft equipment, watercraft systems, Soldiers, and Units. At least eighteen (18) of its 35 Landing Craft Utility (LCU) will be sold off or transferred to the Defense Reutilization and Marketing Office (DRMO). Landing Craft Utility (LCU), a versatile 174- foot landing craft capable of carrying 500 tons of cargo, personnel and containers, is the workhorse of the Army Watercraft field.

Joint Logistics Over the Shore (JLOTS), a combined service capability to ensure US Military units are able to offload personnel, supplies, equipment, fuel, and water in austere environments, depends heavily on Army LCUs and the US Army’s Watercraft command and control capability. Army Harbormasters, LSVs, LTs, LCMS, and its dedicated Watercraft Soldiers, specifically trained as mariners, are essential to the functioning of JLOTS for both military and humanitarian missions.

Eight Army Reserve Watercraft Units and their civilian maintenance facilities are listed for closing. These Units represent hundreds of AGR (Active Reserve), TPU (Reserve), and Civilians. These units presently support, train, and deploy Army Watercraft Soldiers throughout the world, and maintain dozens of watercraft, from 70 ft. Small Tugs to 315 foot LSVs and Barge Derrick Cranes.

As stated in the Army’s Memo initiating this decision, “Army Watercraft Transformation Through Divestment of Capability and Force Structure by Inactivation of Units”, the intent is to “eliminate all United States Army Reserve and National Guard Bureau AWS (Army Watercraft Systems) capabilities and/or supporting structure”.

There appears to be no discussion on how the US Army plans to support their present maritime operations, and possible future commitments while eliminating nearly 80% of its present force, which resides in the US Army Reserve. Soldiers who are now in the Maritime field, and who have spent their careers training to be Army Mariners, will be “assessed into units where they can best serve the needs of the Army Reserve whiles also being gainfully employed”.

Army officials are also removing Watercraft positions within the assignment system, to ensure Soldiers in the future cannot be assigned to maritime duties, indicating there is no plan by the Army to reconsider their actions, or bring back a watercraft capability should the world situation change. A final line in the Army’s plan to eliminate watercraft is the instruction to “Remove all markings prior to turning in systems and vessels to DRMO”. A sad ending to a capability, which has existed since World War I.

Our questions include asking how the Army now plans to respond to military and humanitarian aid in remote and austere locations, where ports and harbor infrastructure do not exist?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Even the dumbest dictator manages to pay his troops on time.

Hasn't Russia done this in recent memory or am I just thinking of stuff from the early 90s?

psydude posted:

Speaking of boats, the Army is eliminating its maritime units:

https://gcaptain.com/u-s-army-to-di...HwHAEiCf8lNxgbg

:psyduck: I guess that means the marines are getting bigger?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Can't wait for police forces to buy themselves some amphibious capability

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

Hasn't Russia done this in recent memory or am I just thinking of stuff from the early 90s?

:psyduck: I guess that means the marines are getting bigger?

Does the Navy have much overlap in these capabilities with the Army?

e: Brexit vote just went down in flames.

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1085260422935207937?s=20

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 15, 2019

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
https://twitter.com/sotiridi/status/1085129853509271552

France continues to get more angry. Click through for 40+ pics & videos of french cops being bastards.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

e: Brexit vote just went down in flames.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_sealift_ships
They're mostly civilian - they're not for landing troops, right?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

Not really for ship to shore supply operations. One of the reasons the Army was ramping up its capabilities under the Obama administration was because the Navy decided it didn't want to maintain shallow-draft logistics capabilities. Doctrinally, the Army was supposed to provide Logistics Over the Shore capabilities for both the Army and Marines for a certain period of time (I think it was up to 45 days maybe?) until more permanent deep-water harbors could be seized and recommissioned for larger Navy/Merchant Marine vessels. This was done specifically with China's construction of barrier islands in the South China Sea in mind; since Trump is pivoting away from the Pacific in favor of, I dunno, invading Iran or something, maybe this is a reflection of that?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If its because of Trump its because he found out the army had boats and thought that was dumb so said to get rid of them.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Really sucks for all of the boat guys, because it was one of the least Army jobs you could have. Warrants commanded all of the vessels and there were a lot of neat TDY assignments and deployments you could pick up as a reservist.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Kinda wish the rest of the DoD missed a paycheck as well, just to compare the threats of mutiny between administrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

psydude posted:

Really sucks for all of the boat guys, because it was one of the least Army jobs you could have. Warrants commanded all of the vessels and there were a lot of neat TDY assignments and deployments you could pick up as a reservist.

Was just reading an article in this month's Proceedings that was talking about Navy surface training and how the Army's training was aligned with international standards so their mariners left with credentials from their service

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

what happens to PM May now

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

what happens to PM May now

Other than being a punchline to the most unpopular admin since Thatcher?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It baffles me that there hasn't been a revival of Spitting Image in the last couple of years.