Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I remember Bruce and Nygma shitposting at each other in message boards but have no idea which issue it could possibly be from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that prompt paid far bigger dividends than i had imagined when typing it. good content today

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Mad hunter brings up some compelling points.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Superboy Prime actually used to post here, but got banned after posting a crazy rant about how much better everything was pre-Crisis.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
and his name was american dracula

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Samuringa posted:

I remember Bruce and Nygma shitposting at each other in message boards but have no idea which issue it could possibly be from

Detective Comics, I forget the number, around Final Crisis era. Detective Chimp was on the board too.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Why is Bruce so huge in the second to last panel and then like half the muscle in the next one?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

joehonkie posted:

Why is Bruce so huge in the second to last panel and then like half the muscle in the next one?

In the first panel he's hunched over the keyboard, so his shoulders are forward, towards the viewer. In the next panel he's standing and his shoulders are relaxed

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lurdiak posted:

It wasn't that hard to keep a book in print during the speculator bubble.

Also I just remembered that Superboy Prime canonically shitposts about himself on the internet, according to DC.

This was the moment I knew Superboy Prime was a good character.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

A poster named "Slade the Blade" shows up in every thread to insist that of course Deathstroke the Terminator (who he doesn't know personally and has never met, but really respects and seems to know a lot of personal details about) could easily beat the entire Justice League at once.

That's just Brad Meltzer.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Samuringa posted:

Going through Miller's Daredevil:

- Jesus Christ, Bullseye won't shut up over how anything turns into a deadly weapon in his hands

- This is the most realistic hulking out, with Banner losing his poo poo because of public transportation

- Daredevil's first gig was scaring a man to death. Cold, but I approve. And apparenly so does Urich who just shrugs and calls it a day.

- Not sure what move you just pulled here, Matt, but I'm not the superhero

- Oh, boy, I sure hope so!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Superhero and rugby jerseys just dont mix, though the Black Panther isn't too bad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They'd be fine if it wasn't for the advertising.

Of course, then they'd just be regular shirts.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/crackedpepper83/status/1085274824824537089

https://twitter.com/crackedpepper83/status/1085275095550119937

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Spider-Man Who Collected Kid?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Samuringa posted:

Going through Miller's Daredevil:

- Jesus Christ, Bullseye won't shut up over how anything turns into a deadly weapon in his hands

Oh, gently caress you

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Samuringa posted:

Oh, gently caress you

"I will begin my interview by insulting blind people and implying they have no idea where they are at any time."

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
One of Jim Shooter's editorial edicts (which he is/was lambasted for but makes sense in a lot of ways) is that every comic is someone's first so writers had to restate the premise every issue. That's probably why Bullseye's powers are mentioned every issue, and where so many of the Claremontian cliches like "ah'm near invulnerable while blastin'!" come from as well.

joehonkie posted:

"I will begin my interview by insulting blind people and implying they have no idea where they are at any time."
I mean, his last name is snide.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edge & Christian posted:

One of Jim Shooter's editorial edicts (which he is/was lambasted for but makes sense in a lot of ways) is that every comic is someone's first so writers had to restate the premise every issue. That's probably why Bullseye's powers are mentioned every issue, and where so many of the Claremontian cliches like "ah'm near invulnerable while blastin'!" come from as well.

I was actually reading my Uncanny X-Men Vol. 3 omnibus earlier this afternoon, which includes the introductions from the Marvel Masterworks books collecting the same issues. One of these is from either Simonson or Nocenti (whichever of them was editor at the time) and they restated this rule of Shooter's and also indicated that another thing which had to be spelled out for new readers in every issue was the characters' powers and abilities.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

It's a good idea, particularly in the days before writing for the trade, and they were worried about comics becoming so insular only those who had followed them for years could read them. But the approach a lot of writers of the era took of just giving people a catch phrase for their powers was not the best way to do it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's the excerpt I mentioned verbatim:

Louise Simonson posted:

Back in the early '80s, Jim Shooter was Marvel's Editor in Chief. I guess, by now, everyone knows that Jim had very strong ideas about what made a good comic book story. It was nothing controversial. He figured every sissue was somebody's first, so he demanded that the characters be named early on, and that their powers, relationships and status quos clearly established. He wanted each protagonist to have a clear need and a clear conflict, be it "man against man, man against nature, or man against himself." Each issue required a resolution, within the context of the comic that would enhance the larger, continuing story arc.

Then, and only then, if we writers and editors felt it was really necessary, we could throw in a teaser that would hint at next issue's conflict.

Luckily, Chris and I generally agreed with Jim's requirements. In fact, all these were things that Chris did naturally. It was amazing how effortless Chris made it all seem, considering the number of characters he was juggling, the density of events, and the storms of emotion he crammed into every X-Men issue. Back in the day, X-Men stories were the complete opposite of decompressed.

None of us realized at the time that we were creating comics with infinite reprint potential. We were just trying to tell the best stories we could think of, and get them out on a monthly basis. The dramatic captions and thought balloons - out of favour, now, in some circles - were a part of that. They were there to explain, to establish facts, to infuse scenes with drama that enhanced teh readers' overall experience. We had 22 pages every month to get the story told, and for the most part, we managed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

It's a good idea, particularly in the days before writing for the trade, and they were worried about comics becoming so insular only those who had followed them for years could read them. But the approach a lot of writers of the era took of just giving people a catch phrase for their powers was not the best way to do it.

And if that was their goal, they failed anyway!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Here's the excerpt I mentioned verbatim:

To be clear, I'm actually very glad this is a thing, for example, I had no idea who Heather was and the first issues she is in do a nice job of making her character known to newcomers, I'm just having fun with the concept.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
When I was a young kid I didn't have a comic shop near by so I used to pick up comics at the local news dealer/magazine store and their collection could be rather spotty. Certain titles would be there one month and not the next. Certain story arcs within issues would suddenly start/stop so I would get part 2's or 3's but never part 1's etc. In this way, every issue was a first issue for me.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I've been reading through Punisher's original (circa 1987) series for the first time (it's... weird, I might write something about it) and one thing that got called out in the letter column is that Mike Baron/the editors were adhering to this rule but never bothered to keep straight exactly what type of criminal activity was happening when Frank's family was killed and they also never really kept track of how old his kids were. I know they pinballed between "caught in the crossfire of two warring gangs" and "accidentally witnessed a mob execution and were killed to cover it up" every third or fourth issue, depending on which worked better for the context of the issue.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wonder if maybe someone at Marvel had the same problem that's why they had abnett do year one later on?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I mean, it's definitely not a bad idea to make sure you establish who everyone in the story is, what they want, and what they can do, especially in a time before people just yell "alexa who is cyclops" at thin air and get an answer. The problem comes in when every comic is its own self-contained story, so every comic has to introduce its entire cast, every single time.

Summary pages at the start of every issue were an elegant solution, it's a shame it took 30 years for someone to think 'em up.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Reminds me of:

"My name is Barry Allen/Hal Jordan and I am the Flash/Green Lantern meaning that I am the fastest man alive/ a space cop" that happens on the front page of Johns' stories. Clearly a child of the 80's.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
big bang comics is doing a year in review for 2018 that some might be interested in (it's a thread)

https://twitter.com/TheBigBang_/status/1086013880722227200

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Samuringa posted:

Oh, gently caress you

Well, at least Matt had a convenient cover story for getting the gently caress outta there.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

“Anything is a deadly weapon in his hands!” Is right up there with “Nothing stops the Juggernaut!” to me. Easily two of my favorite Marvel villains. Those catchphrases really helped sell them to me as a kid.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Did you guys know that Neil Gaiman created a superhero called Lady Justice? The premise is what if that justice is blind statue lady was a sexy superhero

It's real bad

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gripweed posted:

Did you guys know that Neil Gaiman created a superhero called Lady Justice? The premise is what if that justice is blind statue lady was a sexy superhero

It's real bad

It was a Tekno comix title, which if I am not mistaken was a bunch of well known authors making up some bullshit character and letting other people do whatever they want with it. He probably spent a whole 1 minute coming up with the character and that was it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Madkal posted:

It was a Tekno comix title, which if I am not mistaken was a bunch of well known authors making up some bullshit character and letting other people do whatever they want with it. He probably spent a whole 1 minute coming up with the character and that was it.
That's exactly what it was, and it was just as good as that sounds!

All of the books were

NEIL GAIMAN'S LADY JUSTICE
written by cj henderson
NEIL GAIMAN'S MR. HERO THE NEWMATIC MAN
written by james vance
LEONARD NIMOY'S PRIMORTALS
written by lawrence watt-evans

Though honestly looking back at them, they apparently did an Isaac Asimov idea adapted by Howard Chaykin, Steven Grant, and George Perez which almost sounds like something that might be readable.

By the time Teknocomix came out (in 1995) my barely-teenage self had already lived through the disappointment of realizing that all the comics with cool [Brian Bolland/Bill Sienkiewicz/Neal Adams/etc.] covers might have crappy interior artists, and had just lived through the first wave of Image books that were all JIM LEE'S STORMWATCH WITH COVERS BY JIM LEE AND INTERIORS BY ONE OF HIS WEED CARRIERS so I was immediately suspicious of Teknocomix. It might literally be the only one of those New Universes I never bought a single issue of, and I bought comics from Defiant, Triumphant, Comics' Greatest World, I'm pretty sure I bought a couple issues from Majestic Entertainment and I had to look up what their name was. Teknocomix was late to the party and a memorable stinker. I do see someone put out trades of the "Neil Gaiman" stuff a few years ago though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I scored a shitload of Tekno books during a dime sale and they were pretty much universally terrible.

My at the time shop owner bought into the hype hardcore though. He even got himself the funky purple leather jacket.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I assume all the comics by Topps were terrible too? Didn’t they do a similar stunt with Jack Kirby art?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had those too and yeah, real bad. Ditto for Dynamites Kirby stuff.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Open Marriage Night posted:

I assume all the comics by Topps were terrible too? Didn’t they do a similar stunt with Jack Kirby art?
They did, though my recollection is that they were more up front with it, and generally got people who were at least tangentially related to Kirby/Silver Age Comics (Steve Ditko, Roy Thomas, Gerry Conway, Don Heck, Gary Friedrich, John Severin, Dick Ayers) to work on them. I still don't remember liking them much.

Topps Comics in general were weird because I don't remember thinking any of them were that great, but unlike Tekno and some of the other ones, they got real people with real talent to work on them; the abortive follow-up Kirbyverse stuff was Kurt Busiek and Keith Giffen, and other comics from the short weird run of Topps Comics included:

--Bram Stoker's Dracula by Roy Thomas and Mike Mignola
--Jurassic Park by Walt Simonson and Gil Kane
--Mars Attacks by Keith Giffen and Charlie Adlard
--Elric by Neil Gaiman (actually Neil Gaiman) and P. Craig Russell
--A Jackie Chan: Spartan X series by Michael Golden
--A Ray Bradbury anthology series with a bunch of talented people (Tim Bradstreet, Richard Corben, Guy Davis, Harvey Kurtzman's last published work, Mike Mignola, Moebius, Sean Phillips, P. Craig Russell, Matt Wagner)

Of course, they also did a bunch of Zorro comics that quickly got subsumed by ~~LADY RAWHIDE~~, a Bad Girl character created as his partner, and put out a bunch of extremely forgettable Further Adventures of [X-Files/Xena/Duckman/Mars Attacks/Hercules/Dracula] comics by less memorable creators, or in one case a Steve Englehart Jurassic Park mini-series where the raptors learned to pilot helicopters.

It looks like Topps initially bought their way into comcis by buying out Byron Preiss's publishing deal (or maybe just hiring him from wherever he was working), since he had been doing Ray Bradbury and Michael Moorcock comic adaptations in the early 1990s, and is listed as "executive editor" on a bunch of the aforementioned Topps books. They obviously had a big budget initially but gave up quick, and then jumped out when the licenses expired in the late 1990s.

There's also the weird thing that never really affected their comics line, but Topps employed Art Spiegelman as an artist and eventually art director from 1965-1989, so Spiegelman was working for Topps doing Wacky Packages and Garbage Pail Kids and all of their other non-sports cards for decades while he was also working on Arcade and RAW and Maus and half of the artists in that scene (from Crumb to Panter to Ware, plus most of the ex-EC artists kicking around in that period like Wally Wood and Jack Davis) ended up doing Topps Trading Cards, but never Topps Comics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I remember when X-Files #1 hit and my LCS had it up as their pick of the week or whatever. I thought the art looked real bad so I skipped it. A few months later Wizard had it worth $30 and boy was my like 13 year old self mad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I mainly remember Topps for being the first publisher to have the Friday the 13th license. During that time they released three comics with Jason in it:

1) An adaptation of Jason Goes to Hell because that's how late into the series they were by the time anyone thought about doing a Friday the 13th comic.

2) A quick appearance in Satan's Six, one of those Kirby concept comics.

3) A Jason vs. Leatherface series, which isn't fantastic, but at least better than it should be.