Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The British are so advanced in their manners that they've evolved a kind of decorum which still allows for insulting people to their faces on the floor of the house. We Americans need to catch up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Elevator Screamer posted:

He is, but he's a crap party leader. He's a very principled politician and sticks to his ethical views, but he can't work the political system with any level of competence. I feel unclean for saying it, but a Blair-style Labour labour who was capable of making backroom deals, playing the game, and wooing the media would have annihilated the Tories over this whole fiasco. Just look how much they've self-imploded without any serious opposition.

let me introduce you to my good friend the escalator

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

DeadButDelicious posted:

Ho boy we're hosed.

Did you think May's deal was the good path or something? Or was it a general observation because yeah we are.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhLN0L5JdD4

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

sexpig by night posted:

yea it's hosed up that Dog Ballz 92 on dead gay comedy forums isn't taking parliamentary action to stop this and instead just kinda nervously going 'ha ha we're in danger'

I thought this was referring to the live broadcast of parliament, because they were chuckling extensively about points of order and other procedural nonsense for a few minutes right after the vote

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Regarde Aduck posted:

Did you think May's deal was the good path or something? Or was it a general observation because yeah we are.

The latter - always, and forever, the latter.

To quote the right honourable Captain Splendid, this sums up my stance on the whole thing:

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Pooky posted:

Only since the 1920's. No big deal.

Nah, I think that's how Corbyn put it, but it's worse. The big defeat of the 20s, and the previous record holder which brought down the first Labour government, was a loss by 166 votes. May lost by 230.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

He is, but he's a crap party leader. He's a very principled politician and sticks to his ethical views, but he can't work the political system with any level of competence. I feel unclean for saying it, but a Blair-style Labour labour who was capable of making backroom deals, playing the game, and wooing the media would have annihilated the Tories over this whole fiasco. Just look how much they've self-imploded without any serious opposition.

he can’t woo the media because his politics are fundamentally a threat to their owners, hth

same reason Tories are terrified of voting out a PM they hate

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I'm really getting the impression that some people itt think that this result has somehow made things worse. Lmao.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Theresa May lost the vote? sounds like she’s in quite the...jam.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth has issued a correction as of 21:11 on Jan 15, 2019

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

until that no confidence motion goes through this still ain't poo poo. Yeah she's humiliated but guess what? she don't currr lmaoooo

seriously tho I hope the UK goons will soon be able to laugh at us politics without having to furiously ignore their own

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

twoday posted:

I thought this was referring to the live broadcast of parliament, because they were chuckling extensively about points of order and other procedural nonsense for a few minutes right after the vote

oh, if it was then apologies, that was indeed hosed up

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
It actually makes cancelling the whole thing more likely, but also makes a no deal more likely too.

Buffs Atk, Lowers Def

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

May has finally loving admitted that she needs to speak with other parties to come to some sort of agreement. Only two years too late.

Not sure it'll do much good at this point tho.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1085266816753172482

Norton the First posted:

The British are so advanced in their manners that they've evolved a kind of decorum which still allows for insulting people to their faces on the floor of the house. We Americans need to catch up.

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1083653642048208897

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

alphabettitouretti posted:

May has finally loving admitted that she needs to speak with other parties to come to some sort of agreement. Only two years too late.

Not sure it'll do much good at this point tho.

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1083653642048208897

Bless your heart.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Norton the First posted:

thats because the british parties hate each other whereas the democrats are paid opposition to the republicans

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Agean90 posted:

until that no confidence motion goes through this still ain't poo poo. Yeah she's humiliated but guess what? she don't currr lmaoooo

seriously tho I hope the UK goons will soon be able to laugh at us politics without having to furiously ignore their own

The No Confidence motion will probably be defeated as the DUP has said they'll back the May Government.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

MakaVillian posted:

The No Confidence motion will probably be defeated as the DUP has said they'll back the May Government.

Shes so loving thirsty to be in power even if its just sat on top of a burning trash heap.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

wtf is this take from 2016 doing here

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
So she’ll be safe from another confidence motion for a year? Sounds like the perfect time to cancel brexit. How shrewd of her! I bet by the next GE they’ll be blaming it on Labour.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
CALL ANOTHER REFERENDUM YOU DUDES

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

lol at still having confidence in Theresa May

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Grondoth posted:

This is probably a situation that can’t be resolved “democratically” or by plebiscite imo since a third wants to stay, a third wants to leave, and a third wants to renegotiate. All sides are intractable, mutually exclusive, and none command a majority.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Grondoth posted:

lmao they'd vote leave again

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

So she’ll be safe from another confidence motion for a year? Sounds like the perfect time to cancel brexit. How shrewd of her! I bet by the next GE they’ll be blaming it on Labour.

She isn't the subject of the confidence motion, her government is, and there's no limit to how many motions it can face.

You're probably thinking of when she was previously subject to a confidence motion within the Tory party and won, which means that, according to party rules, she can't face another one for a year. That was just for party leadership.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grondoth posted:

if the scots rise in the north and the french invade the south the devil english might be worsted at last

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

twoday posted:

NO CONFIDENCE

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

brugroffil posted:

They only have confidence in not wanting to risk labour winning a ge.

https://twitter.com/David_Cameron/status/595112367358406656

hello chaos my old friend

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Amazing.

The worst defeat for a UK government in the history of the country and the government isn't going to fall.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

if the scots rise in the north and the french invade the south the devil english might be worsted at last

I hear that the Scots secretly weave banners and drink to the health of the true Stuart king, t/f?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Bryter posted:

She isn't the subject of the confidence motion, her government is, and there's no limit to how many motions it can face.

You're probably thinking of when she was previously subject to a confidence motion within the Tory party and won, which means that, according to party rules, she can't face another one for a year. That was just for party leadership.

Oh! Thanks

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1085272398247555072

oh my loving christ. This is the deal boris you floppy haired oval office! Tezza hates forrins so this is the only deal we're getting.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lol american news agencies are tripping over themselves explaining the difference between n ireland and the republic

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

OhFunny posted:

Amazing.

The worst defeat for a UK government in the history of the country and the government isn't going to fall.

Would it be enough for the VoNC if the Sinn Féin MPs appeared tomorrow and voted against May? I know it won't happen, but a man can dream

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

OhFunny posted:

Amazing.

Consequences are for lesser people

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

alphabettitouretti posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1085272398247555072

oh my loving christ. This is the deal boris you floppy haired oval office! Tezza hates forrins so this is the only deal we're getting.

The british people will go down to the very last day before brexit believing that a better deal is possible

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

brugroffil posted:

They need her holding the bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

OhFunny posted:

Amazing.

Didn't the EU say they'd consider allowing an extension of Article 50, but only with a new gov't?

enjoy your hard brexit lmao