Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

ded posted:

SSN youstafish never had poo poo like that in control. If you needed a bathroom break bad enough you got someone to fill in for a few minutes.

The hit was at 130am and they weren't in port until 1630 the next day. I think your watch relief was kinda busy doing DC efforts and you were pretty stuck. I highly doubt the plumbing was exactly working either.

It's not like it was a normal midwatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The greatest invention in merchant marine history was the engine room head imo

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PneumonicBook posted:

Most CICs are not littered with piss bottles and kettle bells.

Look at this guy who's never been on an amphib.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

shovelbum posted:

The greatest invention in merchant marine history was the engine room head imo

You mean the bilges?

I know a guy who shat down a hawsepipe in an emergency, for what it’s worth.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Stultus Maximus posted:

Look at this guy who's never been on an amphib.

That's fair.

I should amend that statement to surface combatants.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
There's no good excuse for piss bottles, but some small gym equipment isn't a huge deal. I used to keep resistance bands or dumbbells up in CIC when I was a DH and was on the 2000-0000 watch every day. It helped me stay awake to get up from the TAO chair every hour or so to get the blood flowing again.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

My experience on an amphib with the apparent competence most of the SWOs, I do not find this at all surprising.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
To answer the piss bottle question first: We didn't have working heads on the ship following the collision. Those don't surprise me in the least. Should they have been picked up and removed? Yes. Were they necessarily even ours? Hard to tell. Several other ships came to support us once we got back to Yoko, so it's entirely possible that some of those belonged to those sailors too.

I can't answer where the kettlebells came from, but there are areas of CIC on a FLT I DDG where you can keep them in a relative unobtrusive way. Not saying that they should have been there, but I understand it.

The RoR exam: They did not give us a standard CG multiple question exam. I honestly have no idea who made it, but it was like nothing I'd taken previously. An example question would have been "Write down rule 3 verbatim".

Now on your standard CG exam, it would be "Which is the correct example of rule 3?" And would give you 4 answers to choose from.

So yes. We did terrible (stress and PTSD do wonders for your memory) and so did the other ship that was given the same exam, because they were also probably looking at that thing and asking what they had been given.

The reporter also didn't do any further investigation work on the near miss near Sasebo. He doesn't have the correct gender for the OOD. Maybe a minor thing, there's another part wrong with his discussion that I won't get into as a precaution.

Am I a bit upset about this? Yes, I am. The way he wrote made it sound like we weren't doing anything to address these problems. We had in CASREPs for these things. We wanted to get them fixed. Remember, we went on patrol about a week or two after we got out of an extended availability in dry-dock. We were certifying basic things while we were on patrol.

He put out another part later today, and that one also failed to address other issues. Was there an officer that was asked to fleet up and decided not to? Yes, there was. While the reason stated for that officers's decision is true, there are also other reasons why they made that choice. There were also 2 other officers that DID chose to fleet up, or were going to when given the chance.

I'm not saying that we were faultless here. We absolutely hosed up, and Sarah did things that she never should have done. If you have questions on the other stuff, I'll answer as honestly as I can, within reason. Part of this may also be that my perception of the situation isn't great because I am both so close to it, and judging it from my first ship, which also didn't always have a great command climate (I don't think it's wrong to say that the crew genuinely hated each other following our deployment.)

Stuff like "unprofessional behavior" is hard to judge because was it genuinely unprofessional, or was it people goofing off when things were quiet? Was it people getting upset that someone wasn't giving them answers that they needed? I don't know, because what ADM Fort might say is unprofessional, another might think is maybe informal, but not out of line.

I feel like I'm coming off very defensive, and that's probably the case. I've been doing really well mentally for the first time in what feels like a long time, and to see things like this does dampen that a bit. It's not the same overwhelming anger from the immediate days following the Fitz and McCain collisions, and it's not the depressed hate I had in the months after that. This is more just disappointment and the knowledge that it's been a year and a half, and we're still no where near being done with this.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Still think you did great. Thanks for the additional info.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
TVS it was a stupid hit piece by a tabloid quality gossip rag. It's cool to be defensive

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

It's amazing how a little context colors an article like this. Thanks TVS.

Also, I think the weirdest thing for me is the apparent disregard for standing orders from the Bridge watch team? My brain breaks at that from standing watch in CDC (CVN). "Criteria X occured, call the CO" does not exactly leave a lot of wiggle room for interpretation. So I feel something is missing there from the article as well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SquirrelyPSU posted:

It's amazing how a little context colors an article like this. Thanks TVS.

Also, I think the weirdest thing for me is the apparent disregard for standing orders from the Bridge watch team? My brain breaks at that from standing watch in CDC (CVN). "Criteria X occured, call the CO" does not exactly leave a lot of wiggle room for interpretation. So I feel something is missing there from the article as well.

Captain's standing orders are only as good as they're enforced. Some captains are going to chew out a JG for waking them up for a single contact. Good captains have reasonable orders but are responsive 24/7. The captain is never off duty on a ship. I can see how a bridge watch team with a senior DIVO as OOD might feel a bit more lax with some of the orders, but personally think that's a wrong decision by the OOD and the CO.

As far as not communicating with the department head TAO, I can also get the frustration of dealing with a bad department head. A lot of SWO department heads are in the position not because they're worth a drat, but rather they're the only people who stayed in after the initial obligation. Even if lovely shiphandlers, they're down in combat for a reason. The OOD and TAO should always be in good comms with one another and have a shared image of the surface picture. Two heads are better than one. And if there's a disagreement, the standing orders certainly have a line that says "if TAO/OOD disagree about something - call captain."

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
"LTJGs don't follow the standing orders" is like 10% a LTJG problem and 90% a command leadership problem

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

You mean the bilges?

I know a guy who shat down a hawsepipe in an emergency, for what it’s worth.

I was on a ship one summer where the female mate liked to sunbathe up forward but the bosun liked to poo poo down the hawsepipe, I'm really sad they never crossed paths up there

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

The Valley Stared posted:

To answer the piss bottle question first: We didn't have working heads on the ship following the collision. Those don't surprise me in the least. Should they have been picked up and removed? Yes. Were they necessarily even ours? Hard to tell. Several other ships came to support us once we got back to Yoko, so it's entirely possible that some of those belonged to those sailors too.

I can't answer where the kettlebells came from, but there are areas of CIC on a FLT I DDG where you can keep them in a relative unobtrusive way. Not saying that they should have been there, but I understand it.

The RoR exam: They did not give us a standard CG multiple question exam. I honestly have no idea who made it, but it was like nothing I'd taken previously. An example question would have been "Write down rule 3 verbatim".

Now on your standard CG exam, it would be "Which is the correct example of rule 3?" And would give you 4 answers to choose from.

So yes. We did terrible (stress and PTSD do wonders for your memory) and so did the other ship that was given the same exam, because they were also probably looking at that thing and asking what they had been given.

The reporter also didn't do any further investigation work on the near miss near Sasebo. He doesn't have the correct gender for the OOD. Maybe a minor thing, there's another part wrong with his discussion that I won't get into as a precaution.

Am I a bit upset about this? Yes, I am. The way he wrote made it sound like we weren't doing anything to address these problems. We had in CASREPs for these things. We wanted to get them fixed. Remember, we went on patrol about a week or two after we got out of an extended availability in dry-dock. We were certifying basic things while we were on patrol.

He put out another part later today, and that one also failed to address other issues. Was there an officer that was asked to fleet up and decided not to? Yes, there was. While the reason stated for that officers's decision is true, there are also other reasons why they made that choice. There were also 2 other officers that DID chose to fleet up, or were going to when given the chance.

I'm not saying that we were faultless here. We absolutely hosed up, and Sarah did things that she never should have done. If you have questions on the other stuff, I'll answer as honestly as I can, within reason. Part of this may also be that my perception of the situation isn't great because I am both so close to it, and judging it from my first ship, which also didn't always have a great command climate (I don't think it's wrong to say that the crew genuinely hated each other following our deployment.)

Stuff like "unprofessional behavior" is hard to judge because was it genuinely unprofessional, or was it people goofing off when things were quiet? Was it people getting upset that someone wasn't giving them answers that they needed? I don't know, because what ADM Fort might say is unprofessional, another might think is maybe informal, but not out of line.

I feel like I'm coming off very defensive, and that's probably the case. I've been doing really well mentally for the first time in what feels like a long time, and to see things like this does dampen that a bit. It's not the same overwhelming anger from the immediate days following the Fitz and McCain collisions, and it's not the depressed hate I had in the months after that. This is more just disappointment and the knowledge that it's been a year and a half, and we're still no where near being done with this.

Thank you for following up on this, I really appreciate having your perspective on it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

TVS, I really hope one day that you put all of this together for an article in Proceedings. I imagine a lot of people would want to learn from what you and the crew went through.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Nick Soapdish posted:

TVS, I really hope one day that you put all of this together for an article in Proceedings. I imagine a lot of people would want to learn from what you and the crew went through.

This. Or if you’re at all interested in writing it up as a book, I’d bet publishers would want to buy it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

So I pushed my AT/EAT + ADT/ADSW orders up the chain of command for the USNO. Somebody in my owning unit pointed out that even though I don’t have any of the special accounts or clearance (that take 6-9 months to get) to work in their space I really should do my AT in Hawaii first. My unit had pointed out there was nothing for me to do and they approved of me working in rate at the USNO.

Looking forward to pulling weeds and picking up cigarette butts in Hawaii.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

shovelbum posted:

I was on a ship one summer where the female mate liked to sunbathe up forward but the bosun liked to poo poo down the hawsepipe, I'm really sad they never crossed paths up there

Mate sunbathing on the foredeck? Time to test out the forward horn!

So the next day she went to the monkey island to sunbath. Guess what? THERE’S A HORN UP THERE TOO!

She just gave up after that.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

ZekeNY posted:

This. Or if you’re at all interested in writing it up as a book, I’d bet publishers would want to buy it.

or as part of her body of work at war college or other grad school

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

So the next day she went to the monkey island to sunbath. Guess what? THERE’S A HORN UP THERE TOO!

:yeshaha:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Cerekk posted:

"LTJGs don't follow the standing orders" is like 10% a LTJG problem and 90% a command leadership problem

I had a really long and drawn up post drafted but deleted it because it was basically this.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

"If the boss doesn't care, why should I?" applies to every workplace.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

I thought soaking some sun was good for your mental health. You monster.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

LingcodKilla posted:

For your what??

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

shovelbum posted:

For your what??

thats the thing you get disability for after getting out right?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

If you’re suntanning on a bulk carrier you’re going to soak up some soot, not sun.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

(never mind)

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

DownByTheWooter posted:

or as part of her body of work at war college or other grad school

A few people want me to write something once I'm done with my thesis (which has nothing to do with the collision. It's on South East Asia and Japan). I probably will, though I don't know if I want to have to go through all of the hoops required by the military to get it approved. I suppose I could just take the SEAL route and publish it regardless because hey!

Funny thing, my folks recently saw a comment on one of those articles asking if Sarah was still in the Navy (I honestly don't know if she still is or is in the process of ad. separating). Someone said that no, she was getting her Master's at some sunny college out on the West Coast. Their husband ran into her.

Now, I'm fairly honest about having been Fitzgerald just given the type of school I'm at, though I don't always say that I was the DCA. I sorta figure people will understand that if I'm at this school, I clearly didn't gently caress up since this isn't somewhere you go when you done messed up. Plus saying that I was the DCA feels like bragging for some reason. If people ask what I did I tell them and there's usually a look of disbelief.

However, Sarah and I look a bit alike in that we're both white women with brown hair and average height. So, I'm wondering if people are confusing her with me, and I do find that a bit funny. Our names are also sorta similar, so that might be adding to the confusion as well.

On another note: things like not following the CO's standing orders. There's no excuse for that, and that's one of those things that I admit that regardless of the severity of it, (eating on watch for example) it still should have never happened. This one I won't get into detail about just because there are still things going on, and I don't want this to come back.

Also, holy poo poo. Several more articles just dropped. On ADM Fort's comment on the "graffiti" on CIC boards, we're talking little doodles in non-obtrusive areas. We had them on my first ship too. TIC had The Tic superhero with a headset on. As for the books and trash, my guess is that people went to CIC to be away from everyone else during the 18 hours it took to get us home.

People just wanted to leave when we pulled in, and cleaning up came secondary. Again, I'm not trying to excuse this, but gently caress. From what I understand this walk through would have been on the 20th, the day the crew had the dignified send off for the 7 that died. Most of the crew wasn't in Yokosuka, and even then, they were trying to keep people off the ship unless they were grabbing things. One of the days I went on to pick up items I had to leave early because I was told to go.

Edit: This article https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2019/01/15/a-watery-hell-how-a-green-crew-fought-the-fitz-to-save-her/ details a little more of the egress and damage control side.

As much as I want to comment on it, I'll hold my tongue to be safe. My memory is fuzzy on this, but the computer suffering a catastrophic meltdown is true, and had consequences (not being able to update records for one).

The Valley Stared fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 16, 2019

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

The Valley Stared posted:

I'm not saying that we were faultless here. We absolutely hosed up, and Sarah did things that she never should have done.

Uhhhh .... what did I do...?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Sarah posted:

You know what you did :v:

Anyway just wanted to take a moment to thank the thread for when I asked about six months ago for advice when my sister was considering joining. Turns out she was on the precipice of making a terrible decision (enlisting as a nuke when she had literally just graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering with little to no student debt), and apparently the information I gave her was enough to make her reconsider and get a job in her field.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

This was a difficult read, my hats off to you and those other Sailors, TVS.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

Acebuckeye13 posted:

enlisting as a nuke when she had literally just graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering

That's a hell of a near-miss.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Anyway just wanted to take a moment to thank the thread for when I asked about six months ago for advice when my sister was considering joining. Turns out she was on the precipice of making a terrible decision (enlisting as a nuke when she had literally just graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering with little to no student debt), and apparently the information I gave her was enough to make her reconsider and get a job in her field.
If I can stop one heart from breaking, 
I shall not live in vain; 
If I can ease one life the aching, 
Or cool one pain, 
Or help one fainting robin 
Unto his nest again, 
I shall not live in vain.

-Emily Dickinson

Another GiP success story!

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Holy poo poo someone listened!

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Sarah posted:

Different Sarah. The name of the OOD is publicly available, so I don't feel conflicted about using a pseudonym for her.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Wow, drat, apparently we can save lives!

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Francis fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jan 17, 2019

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I am actually really happy I enlisted and like my life a lot more now. That said I won several Navy dice rolls resulting in my time in being relatively easy.

E: I am actually probably the luckiest nuke out there. Surface MM, got put in Reactor Propulsion, deployed right away so I got my time as nub out of the way real quick, tax free bonus, picked up first and dodged prototype. Maybe I shouldn't recommend people to the Navy because my experience was definitely different from the norm.

Or just recommend them to aviation rates.

1337_ScriptKiddie fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 17, 2019

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

Sarah posted:

You brought me a birthday cake. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

Or just recommend them to aviation rates.

Join the flight side! We have per diem and Tuesday cookies!