Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Can’t you ask anyone the last 3 seasons to take you as goalie?

What happens when you talk to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Everybody I've talked to that I see at stick time or pickup already has a goalie on their team. The league has been kind of a mess because they've realigned teams and divisions every season and it seems like every team that moves down into my skill level range already has a goalie.

I'm not the best goalie but I've had people at pickup ask me why I'm not playing with a team. poo poo I might just skate out in the beginner league just so I can get exercise. Also one of the problems for this current season is that the top level league folded due to not enough players and all those players moved down a league, bringing their goalies with them.

Maybe it is just a space issue, but I'm just frustrated now because the league has stopped doing any pickup skates or practices the way they used to.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You gotta make friends. Sounds like it’s the only way to wedge in there.

We have a local sub goalie Facebook group. I have met several goalies there who I would put on a team if I wanted to run a team anymore.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Goalies are usually one of those positions where you can always be playing and rarely ever having to pay for it. Just try to network and connect with people, sub if you can. People miss here and there and you can't play most games without a goalie so its a pretty valuable position. We also have a facebook group for sub goalies so maybe look into that?

As far as the league goes, I'm sure the veterans get preferential treatment. I know thats the way its worked in literally every league I've ever played in regardless of "first come first serve" policies. Some guy who'se been playing in the league for a decade or so and has the phone number of the GM forgets to sign up until the day before the first game and sends a text saying "hey, I need to register thanks" and then they're in whereas new guys keep getting the "we're all full up around here" email year after year. That was Johnnies in chicago for me. It wasn't until I knew someone who ran a team and needed subs that i started playing there.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Every team I’ve played for picks a goalie based on mix of skill and relationship.

If you’re stand on your head great, you’ll get picked up (usually by a team with personality issues because they wanna win win win)

If you are a fantastic hang you’ll get picked up by the team who is chill (and maybe aren’t that great but really fun)

My point here is work on both things but being a good hang, bringing a case of good hockey beer when you meet a new group, and doing things like that make an impression to me at least.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I just got a text asking me to goaltend in a private pickup game tonight at 7:45 so that's a consolation at least. I think now I'll just try and make every free skate I can at the rink and just talk to people like you said.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Pucks are loving hard. I took a puck to the ear last night from a weird deflection. Thank god for the plastic protectors because it would have been a lot worse. It did split my ear open a bit and went down into my jaw which caused it to be nice and swollen.

Speaking of beer, our rink is now doing bag checks for outside beer. Even on days where there is no league games but private pick up. I mean what's the point of playing hockey if we can't drink? The worst part is they've been out of beer to sell for the last 2 weeks.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

calandryll posted:

Pucks are loving hard. I took a puck to the ear last night from a weird deflection. Thank god for the plastic protectors because it would have been a lot worse. It did split my ear open a bit and went down into my jaw which caused it to be nice and swollen.

Speaking of beer, our rink is now doing bag checks for outside beer. Even on days where there is no league games but private pick up. I mean what's the point of playing hockey if we can't drink? The worst part is they've been out of beer to sell for the last 2 weeks.

Our rink barely has enough employees at night to Zamboni the two sheets let alone check bags.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The places I skate do token efforts to curb the alcohol every couple years, ends up being a couple weeks with everyone on pins and needles then it goes back to the way it's always been.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Of the 5 rinks in my league, 3 are no-beer in the locker room. We skirt it by not throwing cans in the trash (yes they check trash cans) and just packing them out. It seems like its mostly the rinks with liquor licenses that care but it sounds like the 2 rinks that don't care are starting to change their tune. One team in our league just got busted at the WHL rink (Showare) and was permanently banned from playing in the future.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The over 50 dudes at Romeoville are loving nuts. They spend pretty much all of Sunday there.. show up in the afternoon and pregame beers, play a little hockey, and go back to drinking beer. They're usually still there at 1am and get kicked out by the poor bastard that's trying to lock up.

They clear the tables in the lobby by bringing the trash can over and sweeping the bottles in with an arm.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
My old rink banned beer in the locker rooms after one of the teams hired a stripper.

This place had filthy, stinky locker rooms...always felt bad for that stripper.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
She probably got a plantars wart and athletes foot.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

MB Center (Blackhawks practice facility) is the only place I've seen where they check bags for beer around here, and I think it's entirely because they want you to buy the beer they sell.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

mr. unhsib posted:

My old rink banned beer in the locker rooms after one of the teams hired a stripper.

This place had filthy, stinky locker rooms...always felt bad for that stripper.

Apparently our team has been approaching this wrong. :lol:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

MB Center (Blackhawks practice facility) is the only place I've seen where they check bags for beer around here, and I think it's entirely because they want you to buy the beer they sell.

Sounds like a liquor / beer license requirement

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Vargatron posted:

The rink I play at also has basically dropped all open ice scheduling in the evenings so I have no way of practicing outside of playing games, but I can't even get into a loving beginner league as a goalie. I guess I'll just drive 2 hours to Charlotte or downstate to practice. I have 4 months to prep for a draft tournament in the spring but I can't do it all in the gym.

Which draft tournament are you doing? I need to get back to one since I did the 2017 Boston.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

calandryll posted:

Which draft tournament are you doing? I need to get back to one since I did the 2017 Boston.

Smashville.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Verman posted:

Of the 5 rinks in my league, 3 are no-beer in the locker room. We skirt it by not throwing cans in the trash (yes they check trash cans) and just packing them out. It seems like its mostly the rinks with liquor licenses that care but it sounds like the 2 rinks that don't care are starting to change their tune. One team in our league just got busted at the WHL rink (Showare) and was permanently banned from playing in the future.

Ha! Which team was that dumb and has now hosed up scheduling even more?

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

mr. unhsib posted:

Life goals right there... I've brought a keg to a game a few times but a stripper is above and beyond... We pack in & pack out at all rinks but dont bring any when playing on one of the 2 WHL sheets. We've evolved to doing pre-game pints as well as the post-game pints.

last night, played a team who had 11 skaters. They played it as 3 D, 2 C and 3 wing pairs. guess how many good players they have? yup - 5. First shift they got the puck in quick, then that side D falls and becomes a breakaway goal 13 seconds into the game. We were down 4 quick and early but managed to only lose 5-3.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Bradf0rd posted:

Ha! Which team was that dumb and has now hosed up scheduling even more?

I don't recall which team did it. Andy was telling me at the captains meeting prior to the winter season. He was less than enthusiastic about it. I guess thats one way of reinforcing that you won't play south end games though ...

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

xzzy posted:

The over 50 dudes at Romeoville are loving nuts. They spend pretty much all of Sunday there.. show up in the afternoon and pregame beers, play a little hockey, and go back to drinking beer. They're usually still there at 1am and get kicked out by the poor bastard that's trying to lock up.

They clear the tables in the lobby by bringing the trash can over and sweeping the bottles in with an arm.

Sometimes it's beer/hockey/beer/hockey/beer for them.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
The new bar at our main is pretty much everything but. It feels like a flea market threw up on a snack bar: Dippin Dots, Claw game, kites, Legos, a loving Jelly Bean machine, hats, gumballs, little quarter plastic toy things. The beer is in the back in standing fridges, but it's behind 2 layers of kitschy poo poo. It's about $40 for a 12 pack for anything but Bud Light or Diet Coors. Of course because they sell beer now, we can't bring any of our own in, but the counter workers are chill enough that they turn a blind eye for the most part if we bring an outside beer or two in to watch the games behind us if we've ordered something from them in the near past.

It's hard to compare the "bar" to the old rink's, because it was a unicorn situation where the semi-pro swamp hockey team played and there was at least a decent argument for a functional bar. $10 pitchers and popcorn delivered to the locker room was hard to beat, especially when they did cheapo pizza too. But I think too many guys were still in love with that unicorn bar that they wanted the same thing sooner rather than later, and the carnival concession stand is what we're stuck with. At least until TBAC looks into it and finds out that the guy running the stand is probably just buying beer off the Walmart shelf and reselling it.

At least the other rink is next to a decent brewery and also lets us bring our own beer.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
One of the guys I play with is head of supply for Dogfish. Two other teams are sponsored by two other breweries but they won't carry any of their beer. Even after the guy on my team said he could get them pretty much anything for cheap.

Instead of spending money to keep us happy with stocking beer, they'd rather spend the money on Live Barn. As far as I can tell no one gives a poo poo about watching a game.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Cool thing happened to me last night.

We were killing a penalty and they had the puck in our zone. I'm sitting on the boards waiting for the final seconds of the penalty to tick off. I turn to the guy next to me on our bench and say "I'm scoring on a breakaway right here." Our guy gets out of the box and to the bench, so I hop on the ice right as we gain possession of the puck in our D-zone. I start skating to center ice and the opposite wing hits me with a stretch pass right to my tape. No one was within 25 feet of me when I got the puck. I skate in, deke the goalie, go backhand and 5-hole him. That felt awesome.

And with 3 seconds left in the game, the same winger, from behind the net, hit me wide open in the slot and I go bar down for the goal. The ref skates over to me and says "you should play on my Wednesday team [1 league up] next season." :lol:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

calandryll posted:

Instead of spending money to keep us happy with stocking beer, they'd rather spend the money on Live Barn. As far as I can tell no one gives a poo poo about watching a [beer league] game.

I mean, I could see the appeal of having highlights of beer league games, but you'd have to pay someone to edit those highlights (and consequentially watch HOURS of beer league). At that point why not just have Rock'em Sock'em Hockey play on loop?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Had a double header last night.

First game was much slower, second game was ridiculously fast. 5-4 wins in both games. Got an assist in the first game, a goal in the second on a 2-1 break on the goalie which resulted in a shot/rebound that I tapped in on the backdoor. The second team had a lot of guys who were really fast but had zero control so there was a lot crashing into the boards, skating through people etc. It got really annoying because they would just power 100% into the goalie and take everyone out with them. Then they would fall into the boards and scream for a penalty. It was really weird. At one point, this giant guy tried coming up behind me and slipped backwards and ended up in front of me on his back sliding towards the boards and took me down with him. The only thing going through my mind was the broken ankle I saw on the seahawks/cowboys game this past weekend so I rode that guy like a sled into the boards.

I was literally whooped to poo poo at the end of the night.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
My brand new stick I'd used maybe 5-6 times got caught between a guy going one way and another guy going the other way and before I realized what was happening and could let go, exploded into three pieces. :negative:

I really liked that stick too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Shoulda bought one of those fischer sticks. :colbert:

I was defending the crease last night and I got my stick tangled on a teammate last night while an opponent glided into it. He flopped over the top and all three of us went down. Stick survived!

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
Anyone have bag recommendations? Biggest priority for me is portability because I have to take trains + walk to get to the rink.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I pulled an rear end cheek last night. Great game!

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

xzzy posted:

Shoulda bought one of those fischer sticks. :colbert:

I was defending the crease last night and I got my stick tangled on a teammate last night while an opponent glided into it. He flopped over the top and all three of us went down. Stick survived!

I'm going to try taking it back to Pure Hockey but it's pro stock so I don't know that they'll do anything. It was a super light Sherwood that was a huge upgrade to the Bauer 2x4 I've been using. It made me almost feel like I could shoot the puck.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Look on ebay. I found a good deal on sticks. Teammate swears by ebay for prostock sticks.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
I can contribute to broken stick chat since last night a buddy of mine had an expensive evening. 2 broken sticks and a broken skate blade. One of the sticks broke in a way I have never seen before though so that's something. He got run into along the side glass and his arms went up. The stick managed to wedge itself in a seam between two glass panels as they flexed when the two guys banged into them and when the glass came back together and he tried to skate off it busted the stick right in two. The second stick was a backup that he thought might break if he kept using it, which he was right, it broke like 10 min later. The skate blade he didn't even notice until he took his skates off after so at least he got to finish the skate with it.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've been enjoying the pre broken sticks I got for $40

the weight is a little off but I'm way past pretending that matters

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Is this bad? I feel like it’s bad...

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

A Robertson screw in a broken skate chassis is the most Canadian photo possible.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

D C posted:

Is this bad? I feel like it’s bad...

Chemmy posted:

A Robertson screw in a broken skate chassis is the most Canadian photo possible.

Hey that’s what Easton throws in from the factory.

Trip report. Only fell twice, made it through the whole game on that even though I was missing quite a bit of power off that skate.

Now to decide to replace it with tuuks or find another Easton holder.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Easton hardware is pretty hard to find, it's why I scrapped mine and switched to Bauer last year.

You can get the parts, but there's a bigger overhead. Get new holders (or new skates!).

(now I'm thinking of putting marsblades on the eastons)

Also this reminds me, what's everyone's favorite repalm service?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Also this reminds me, what's everyone's favorite repalm service?

Going to hockey monkey and buying a new pair of warriors.