Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I was so spoiled by Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 2 that i'm worried I'm setting the expectations for Y7 too high in my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Carlosologist posted:

I was so spoiled by Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 2 that i'm worried I'm setting the expectations for Y7 too high in my head

Do you mean Y6? Y7 won't be a thing as Y6 is the end of Kiryu's story and by extension the Yakuza series. (Although they're going to continue with games in the setting like Judge Eyes, just not with the name Yakuza.)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Do you mean Y6? Y7 won't be a thing as Y6 is the end of Kiryu's story and by extension the Yakuza series. (Although they're going to continue with games in the setting like Judge Eyes, just not with the name Yakuza.)
They're still making Shin Yakuza with the new protagonist, aren't they? Judge Eyes was a separate thing from that as far as I know.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Doc M posted:

They're still making Shin Yakuza with the new protagonist, aren't they? Judge Eyes was a separate thing from that as far as I know.

Shin Yakuza is still a thing yes. As far as it being Yakuza 7 straight up though who knows.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Yo, I'm trying to find Officer Majima again in Yakuza Kiwami 1 to get a skillset and I can't find this mother fucker. I'm in Chapter 13 and Level SS in Majima Everywhere, I think. Any ideas?

Edit: of course, an hour after I ask, I find him on the street. Now just need to find everyone’s idol making for a third time :(

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 16, 2019

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Quote/edit

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

1redflag posted:

Yo, I'm trying to find Officer Majima again in Yakuza Kiwami 1 to get a skillset and I can't find this mother fucker. I'm in Chapter 13 and Level SS in Majima Everywhere, I think. Any ideas?

Edit: of course, an hour after I ask, I find him on the street. Now just need to find everyone’s idol making for a third time :(

The only change I ever wanted to make to YK1 was to be able to spend experience to force a specific Majima version to appear.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

1redflag posted:

i got everyones idol by entering and reentering smile burger then running into nakamichi or whatever its called, ally. he usually pops up there.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Vikar Jerome posted:

i got everyones idol by entering and reentering smile burger

I think that's pretty much the best way to get all of the Majima fights - they seem to be totally random outside of their initial appearance. Keep jumping in and out of smile burger, find Majima, if he's not what you're looking for, try again.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
idol was the only one i had a problem with, he barely showed up when i needed him to lol all the other ones kept showing up while i was doing sub-stories.

Hipster Rooster
Feb 7, 2012

I only eat organic grain

Anyone has any idea what the perfumes do for the hostesses in the 0/K2 cabaret sidestories?

Also drat, the way story picks up after the forth league in K2 is amazing

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Hipster Rooster posted:

Anyone has any idea what the perfumes do for the hostesses in the 0/K2 cabaret sidestories?

basically nothing except give you something else to spend money on

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I got addicted to the cabaret in K2 and grinded it as far as I could in chapter 5 and now the game says "come back after progressing the main story further".

Without spoiling anything, is it going to be obvious when it's time to come back, and if not, can someone just tell me which chapter I should be waiting for?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Without spoiling anything, is it going to be obvious when it's time to come back

basically yes

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
does anyone who knows mahjong want to play for me via grainy twitch stream so I can get 3 platinums

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ainsley McTree posted:

I got addicted to the cabaret in K2 and grinded it as far as I could in chapter 5 and now the game says "come back after progressing the main story further".

Without spoiling anything, is it going to be obvious when it's time to come back, and if not, can someone just tell me which chapter I should be waiting for?

Fortunately Yakuza 2 and Kiwami 2 are unique in that you can take the cab back and forth between locations almost any time you want which is great for the new stuff they added and making the game feel more chill.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Finding the kitties in y6 is really frustrating!

Also being perpetually out of spirit XP

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
The cats I had no problem finding 'em all.

The loving fire extinguishers, on the other hand...

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Caitlin posted:

The cats I had no problem finding 'em all.

The loving fire extinguishers, on the other hand...

The biggest problem with the extinguishers is that they are all single-use, so if you make a bad choice, you can permafuck the arson mission chain.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
you know I played through the entirety of Yakuza 6 and I never got a single arson mission

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

CharlestonJew posted:

you know I played through the entirety of Yakuza 6 and I never got a single arson mission

You have to go pretty far with the Toublr mission chain to get them.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I ignored every arson mission because you didn't need it for the platinum and they just didn't seem like my idea of fun.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I understand that part of the appeal of hokuto no gotoku is yakuza on fotsn, but Kenshiro is straight up Kiryu and it's weird. They're not the same character but the va is doing Kiryu instead.
If I turn on the Kiryu skin then it gets less jaring, but the English va is doing a better job in that regard.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

There’s no news on the remasters coming overseas. I imagine they will come overseas, but they’re probably taking the opportunity to redo the localization for Y3 so they’re not at a point where they’re ready to say anything yet.

They're probably waiting for all three to be out so they can like Metal Gear/etc. so they can be released as a compilation in the US.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

For all my issues with FOTS:LP, the English dub is on point. The voices have that 80s anime earnestness and melodrama without being cringey. And Kenshiro's voice suddenly getting way, way too high during the "YATATATA"s... Mwah, perfect.

I couldn't imagine playing the Yakuza games with English voices though. There's so much pathos put into the voice work that it would lose a lot without really close, careful direction.

I appreciate very very much that Toki is voiced by the guy who voiced Toki for the unfinished English dub from back in the day. Can't get any more earnest than that. :D

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 17, 2019

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

History Comes Inside! posted:

I ignored every arson mission because you didn't need it for the platinum and they just didn't seem like my idea of fun.

This is the only yakuza game I own so I'm gunning for 100% completion despite it being one of, or the only, one where you don't need 100% to plat

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

History Comes Inside! posted:

They were a fun little test of your navigation skills, but the final one is a total bitch and has to be done perfectly and without having used the wrong extinguishers for earlier ones.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The best fire extinguisher moment in the series will always be the part in Yakuza 5 where you help that inventor product test his new heating pad but it then immediately causes the entire room to ignite.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The subquest in Kiwami 1 where you have to get that little kid to a doctor hit real close to home for me because I too needed an appendectomy at a very young age. We both made it :unsmith:

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
I played 3/4/5/Dead Souls over a pretty long period of time, partly from burnout since they're all very similar gameplay-wise, but I've now played through 0 and Kiwami pretty much back-to-back and just started Kiwami 2 yesterday not long after finishing 1 (played like 9 hours straight :cheers:).

Goddamn I love the new engine in Kiwami 2, the first time a street fight spilled into a business that I proceeded to completely trash I was just laughing the whole time. I also love how you get XP for doing stuff on the completion list, I've always tried to do as much of that stuff as I could before getting bored or frustrated with it, it's nice to have a tangible impact on gameplay for spending way too much time trying to get toys from the UFO catcher or whatever. I've only done a few substories but the one with the Speedo-wearing photographer has definitely set a high bar. The first meeting between Kiryu and Ryuji Goda was awesome, can't wait to see where the story goes! God I love this series

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’m playing k2 and loving it but it makes me so hungry. I’m also doing dry January and all the lovingly-depicted whiskey is not helping

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Hey uh, quick question for the Yakuza fans who are also anime fans

Is this anime

God dammit it takes one flashy thing to make me want these kinds of games, huh.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh my God did the police try to arrest him for being too beautiful? :lol:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Probably not but to be fair if I was busting those moves while shrugging off punches I would too have a reason to be arrested

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
loving hell the finale for the Cabaret Club in Kiwami 2 is so loving good, especially as someone who loved it in 0. Be sure to come back after winning the final and do the side quest for the final platinum girl, and there’s another final final one after that.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I'm so torn on Lost Paradise. When it's good, it's drat good and some parts really are nice but there so many just, random things thrown in there that don't work, so I don't know what to feel about this game being the last one with the old engine.

And noone thus far did that idiot twirly hand gesture and I keep waiting for it

Finally hit the Mamiya Sidequest too and man, they really hate women fighting or doing anything don't they? What the heck

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Finally hit the Mamiya Sidequest too and man, they really hate women fighting or doing anything don't they? What the heck

I think to this day Nair in Yakuza 4 is the only woman in the series you can fight. I love the series but it's pretty stupid.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
There's a substory in Kiwami where you do, but it's kind of meaningless

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
We may have seen more battling okama than real women lol

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Neo Rasa posted:

I think to this day Nair in Yakuza 4 is the only woman in the series you can fight. I love the series but it's pretty stupid.

Miss Tatsu disagrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ALFbrot posted:

There's a substory in Kiwami where you do, but it's kind of meaningless

Also pleasure king

In yak6 news, the only real life guy ive known is hirose/beat takashi and it's really aided my enjoyment of the game. I wonder if 0 would have been even better if I'd recognized those actors