Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I liked Homecoming quite a bit the first couple times I saw it, but each rewatch since has left me a little colder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I hope this movie ends like the Spider-Man 2 game and Peter just lays Mysterio out with one bunch in a New York bodega.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

All this talk of the Raimi movies and no one mentions JK Simmons as JJJ. Shameful.

Really, outside of Topher Grace Venom every Spidey villain was perfectly cast.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I really think they're deliberately omitting a lot of Endgame stuff for it to not have a twist somewhere

also

https://twitter.com/JessiSheron/status/1085291876549386248
https://twitter.com/JessiSheron/status/1085292049367293952

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

All this talk of the Raimi movies and no one mentions JK Simmons as JJJ. Shameful.

Because no one in the world has anything to say other than he was perfect and amazing. There are certain unimpeachable comic book castings and he's one.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

TheHan posted:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lobok posted:

The debate over Homecoming vs. Raimi films is kinda over for me now since the Insomniac game came out and provided a better Spider-Man (character) than any film.

I thought the same thing...then Into the Spiderverse came out.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Open Marriage Night posted:

I thought the same thing...then Into the Spiderverse came out.

I agree as far as the overall movie goes but for the Peter character I got the best version from the game. Spider-Verse is, to its credit, a Miles movie.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheHan posted:

The thing that bothers me the most was that they went "okay, we need a dark, creepy mirror of Tobey McGuire, who can we cast.... I know! Topher Grace!" when Jake Gyllenhaal was the obvious choice.

I swear they were flipping through their "G" headshots book, struggling to remember how to spell Gyllenhaal, got to Grace, and decided that was good enough.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lobok posted:

I agree as far as the overall movie goes but for the Peter character I got the best version from the game. Spider-Verse is, to its credit, a Miles movie.
The PS4 one feels like a combo of the comics version and Tom Holland's Peter Parker.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Dan Didio posted:

Also, Stark’s dead as poo poo.

Yeah the fact that Fury is stooping to strongarming Peter into superheroics during a field trip honesty doesn’t bode well for any of the Avengers . . .

Although the whole thing with Ghost in Antman and the Wasp did a good job of showing how ammoral and lovely SHIELD was/is with exploiting people with powers.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

asecondduck posted:

The thing that bothers me the most was that they went "okay, we need a dark, creepy mirror of Tobey McGuire, who can we cast.... I know! Topher Grace!" when Jake Gyllenhaal was the obvious choice.

I swear they were flipping through their "G" headshots book, struggling to remember how to spell Gyllenhaal, got to Grace, and decided that was good enough.

Gyellenhall is way too handsome to be a dark creepy mirror of Tobey McGuire.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It would be amusing if Far From Home took place entirely in the soul world and from the perspective of everyone in that film it's the survivors who disappeared.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

JT Smiley posted:

Gyellenhall is way too handsome to be a dark creepy mirror of Tobey McGuire.

Uh, sorta, maybe, but more importantly, have you seen any of his movies in the last decade. The guy does dark and creepy real good.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Before that even! Donnie Darko was dark & creepy Gyllenhaal.

Edit: actually he's always been a wierdo character actor first and foremost. Hollywood tried to make him a leading man with The Day After Tomorrow and Prince of Persia but, I mean, come on.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 16, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I mean it's Nick fury he doesn't give a poo poo of Peter's a kid

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jake Gyllenhall has the same problem as Armie Hammer in that he's a great character actor, but has leading man looks.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Uh, sorta, maybe, but more importantly, have you seen any of his movies in the last decade. The guy does dark and creepy real good.

Oh I know, I just think even he can't pull off being darker or creepier than Tobey.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Was it jake who did that nightstalker movie about the crazy journalist? I remember hearing whoever it was got super creeper in that

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

site posted:

Was it jake who did that nightstalker movie about the crazy journalist? I remember hearing whoever it was got super creeper in that

Nightcrawler, yes.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Yeah Gyllenhall in Nightmare would translate pretty easily into an Eddie Brock performance. Reminds me a lot of that origin story Brock had forever ago of him being a pathological grifter.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1085239196204249088?s=20

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Looking forward to Into the Spider-Verse 2 so we can really start exploring the Spider-Man 2 Cinematic Universe.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Cant wait for the garfield and holland spideys to join the cast and the garfield spidey gets super emo about spidergwen

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Samuringa posted:

I really think they're deliberately omitting a lot of Endgame stuff for it to not have a twist somewhere

also

https://twitter.com/JessiSheron/status/1085291876549386248
https://twitter.com/JessiSheron/status/1085292049367293952

You fight giant elemental monsters with the superhero you have, not the superhero you want.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My-technically-a-theory-but-I'm-pretty-positive-I'm-correct-speculation is that not only are all the elemental villains Mysterio illusions (which seems pretty obvious), so is Nick Fury.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm not sure I agree 100% with your figuring there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

asecondduck posted:

Wasn't there a whole thing back in the day that Gyllenhaal was maybe going to actually take over for Tobey because he hosed up his back something fierce filming Seabiscuit?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty excited to see SHIELD getting on Peter's case and trying to wrangle him in. That always seemed like a fun thing from the comics/games. Maybe they'll even have the reveal that his parents were involved in SHIELD.

I forget, is there anything in the MCU that rules this out, or the SHIELD made Hulk and Hulk killed his parents?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I can't super see them going back to one of the most hated aspect of the Amazing Spider-Man movies.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
My biggest superhero movie shame is that I don't hate Spider-Man 3 on rewatch. I only watch the editor's cut but I doubt that really makes it better.

X-O posted:

Time doesn't stop because of Infinity War and anyone that thinks they should wait until after it's out to advertise Spider-Man is super dumb.

People are going to see the MCU movie after Endgame regardless of if they saw a preview in January. Especially a Spider-Man MCU movie.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Jamesman posted:

I'm pretty excited to see SHIELD getting on Peter's case and trying to wrangle him in. That always seemed like a fun thing from the comics/games. Maybe they'll even have the reveal that his parents were involved in SHIELD.

I forget, is there anything in the MCU that rules this out, or the SHIELD made Hulk and Hulk killed his parents?

Please get this ultimate universe bullshit away from my mcu

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jamesman posted:

Absolutely nothing has been established about this Peter's parents, or Uncle Ben. Or for that matter if there even was an Uncle Ben.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

site posted:

I remember during phase 1 being worried they were gonna do Ultimate’s schtick of leaning real heavy on people trying to recreate the super soldier serum and was so glad that mostly stayed in The Incredible Hulk?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

I remember during phase 1 being worried they were gonna do Ultimate’s schtick of leaning real heavy on people trying to recreate the super soldier serum and was so glad that mostly stayed in The Incredible Hulk?

Yeah pretty much hulk, and the three cap movies and it's all fairly contained (so far), no Parker's or Pym's involved that we know about (Howard Stark was though with the civil war thing)

site fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 16, 2019

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Absolutely nothing has been established about this Peter's parents, or Uncle Ben. Or for that matter if there even was an Uncle Ben.

They're hinting at it though.

I know nothing's been established about Peter's background, but I wasn't sure if there was anything from like the Hulk movie that would rule it out.

site posted:

I didn't know that was all Ultimate stuff. I thought it was generally accepted across a few different histories that the Parkers were involved with SHIELD, and that's part of why Fury wanted to bring him in.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 16, 2019

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Cythereal posted:

Homecoming very clearly shows that May lost Ben in how she reacts after Peter comes home from the boat fight after not answering her phone calls.

Even in Civil War, Peter basically tells Stark his Responsibility Schtick, without saying the words. A lesson he, presumably, learned when his uncle died.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jamesman posted:

They're hinting at it though.

I know nothing's been established about Peter's background, but I wasn't sure if there was anything from like the Hulk movie that would rule it out.

I didn't know that was all Ultimate stuff. I thought it was generally accepted across a few different histories that the Parkers were involved with SHIELD, and that's part of why Fury wanted to bring him in.

I definitely have some 90’s comics where peter’s parents had been up to some stuff. Can’t remember if it was SHIELD, though, and they’re in my storage unit so :effort:

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Ok so seeing Peter being open with Aunt May is great.
Kind of hoping Fury ends up being a reluctant chaperone to a heap of annoying teens on a trip. Or that he ends up putting together a team with Ghost, Vulture and Mysterio and mmmm... let's say... Moe.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Removing Ben's death from Spider-Man's origin would be such an enormous change to the character that they may as well have not fought and paid to get Spider-Man. It's entirely unthinkable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

In 616 Richard and Mary Parker were CIA Agents. In the Ultimate books Richard was a scientist that worked for SHIELD.