Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I hope they tour!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bust Rodd posted:

Wow and here I am listening to LP1 and having completely missed that these guys made a 2nd & 3rd record lol
Just a 2nd! Came out 2 years ago. The 3rd is the one that's coming out in a few months.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It’s disappeared and I want to listen!!!

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It's good but it reminds me more of LP1 than LP2. Not a bad thing, just an observation. I wonder if this is indicative of the direction of the new album as a whole.

Wouldn't surprise me. The press release namechecks post-rock and shoegaze as influences, and it felt like LP2 stripped out the post-rock flourishes to get a more straightforward and concise sound, so it makes sense for them to veer in the other direction after Lamos and Holmes reestablished themselves as musicians.

Bape Culture posted:

It’s disappeared and I want to listen!!!

Don't know where you're from, but it seems like they're blocking access in some countries. The link still works on my end.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It’s still on Spotify in the uk but it didn’t grab me tbh

The 311 Lifestyle
Feb 16, 2018

just trippin'
and laughin'
at the crap
its bad bordering on embarrassing but who cares

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Arkhams Razor posted:

Wouldn't surprise me. The press release namechecks post-rock and shoegaze as influences, and it felt like LP2 stripped out the post-rock flourishes to get a more straightforward and concise sound, so it makes sense for them to veer in the other direction after Lamos and Holmes reestablished themselves as musicians.
Well that would add up considering the singer from Slowdive is on the tracklisting.

In retrospect, I guess LP2 more closely resembled Owen than American Football, huh? Which is funny to me because for years my ex-girlfriend tried to get me into Owen and I never could for whatever reason, but then LP2 came out the year after we split up and I was all over it :v: I seriously listened to that album from start to finish at least once a week the year it came out. It felt like it was made for me.

I should probably give Owen another shot sometime!

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
I kinda hated LP2 almost solely because it sounded so... bland and mechanical? Like where the first album offers lots of tiny beats of chemistry and space between the band, I felt like LP2 was clinical and robotic, like computer American Football with Owen crooning over it.

His voice obviously having lost lots of the youth doesn't help, but still.

Knew a dude who agreed with me when it came out but now adores it so I could just be being a dork.

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

I should probably give Owen another shot sometime!

It's worthwhile, but definitely isn't synonymous with American Football, even LP2. I'd try either No Good for No One Now, which is the closest Kinsella comes at any point to following up American Football LP1, or At Home With Owen, which is probably his best work in that project. The King of Whys is also good, and came out alongside LP2 which might make it more in your wheelhouse, but it sounds really different from anything else he's put out.

90s Shoes posted:

I kinda hated LP2 almost solely because it sounded so... bland and mechanical? Like where the first album offers lots of tiny beats of chemistry and space between the band, I felt like LP2 was clinical and robotic, like computer American Football with Owen crooning over it.

His voice obviously having lost lots of the youth doesn't help, but still.

Knew a dude who agreed with me when it came out but now adores it so I could just be being a dork.

I've seen plenty of people make those complaints, so it's certainly a valid position to have. I think a lot of it is Kinsella's vocals, but less that he sounds older and more that he learned to sing, period. His vocals were easily the weakest part of their earlier run, and even though it happened to feed well into the first album's stylistic choices, it was obviously something that would be corrected if Kinsella wanted to continue doing it. The "spacing/mechanical" element seems to be a deliberate decision; from what I understand, neither Lamos nor Holmes played music at all after American Football disbanded, so it's unsurprising that the group's first output since reforming leaned on Kinsella's talents first and foremost. I think there are still small spaces of that across LP2 though (like the extended outros on Born to Lose or I Need a Drink), and the new track incorporates more of those post-rock elements a lot more overtly.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cioOGOvWSco

I saw this Fender ad on YouTube earlier and the guitar work interested me, so I figured I'd look up what band this guy is in. It's Tiny Moving Parts. I hadn't listened to them before, so I checked out their new album Swell. All the songs were pretty samey and not much stood out about it and I guess I was hoping for something more memorable from what I heard on that Fender ad :(

Is any of their previous stuff more interesting/varied or is this always what they sound like?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cioOGOvWSco

I saw this Fender ad on YouTube earlier and the guitar work interested me, so I figured I'd look up what band this guy is in. It's Tiny Moving Parts. I hadn't listened to them before, so I checked out their new album Swell. All the songs were pretty samey and not much stood out about it and I guess I was hoping for something more memorable from what I heard on that Fender ad :(

Is any of their previous stuff more interesting/varied or is this always what they sound like?

Their sound stays generally the same, but check out their debut album, it's a little less poppy and really really good.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
TMP would be a much, much better band if they just removed all the vocals. The lyrics are consistently cringy as gently caress.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

camoseven posted:

TMP would be a much, much better band if they just removed all the vocals. The lyrics are consistently cringy as gently caress.

I agree tbh. It's a shame bc Dylan is an insanely talented guitarist I just wish everytime he opened his mouth he shut it instead

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
extremely underrated album of the year is the new christian fitness https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8J25OiLbVg

The 311 Lifestyle
Feb 16, 2018

just trippin'
and laughin'
at the crap
yeah that's a good record for sure

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The 311 Lifestyle posted:

yeah that's a good record for sure

If we could get a new FOTL record in the new year that'd be nice, also. Although apparently Falkous is writing a book, too, between that and having a kid he might be pretty busy!

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Hot Diggity! posted:

extremely underrated album of the year is the new christian fitness https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8J25OiLbVg

The drums especially rip through this entire album.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UtbV_4iAIw

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

This channel kinda rips

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

This channel kinda rips

Yeah... maybe the 5'th wave is real?

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Strumpy posted:

Yeah... maybe the 5'th wave is real?

the waves of ska correlate exactly with the stages of grief

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

This channel kinda rips

Oh, it most assuredly rips.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've always kind of liked that Sonseed song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-NOZU2iPA8

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro72ES3e3Bo

Even though I don't listen to much pop punk these days, I don't think I'll ever stop loving Masked Intruder. Looking forward to the new album.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

XIII posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro72ES3e3Bo

Even though I don't listen to much pop punk these days, I don't think I'll ever stop loving Masked Intruder. Looking forward to the new album.

the coolest metal dudes to ever start a pop-punk band.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ferrule posted:

the coolest metal dudes to ever start a pop-punk band.

Is that what they we're before this

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I thought one of MI was Mikey Erg? He ain't no metal dude. He does rule, though.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Because MI doesn’t make albums that often, the gimmick kinda holds up, since when you do hear new material it’s good...

But if you listen to it all at once? It’s basically the same song over and over. A good one, but the same one.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I thought one of MI was Mikey Erg? He ain't no metal dude. He does rule, though.

Now that's a weird urban legend if I ever heard one.

No, he ain't in MI. And he does dig metal (although, to the best of my knowledge, was never in a metal band).

Drastic Actions posted:

Because MI doesn’t make albums that often, the gimmick kinda holds up, since when you do hear new material it’s good...

But if you listen to it all at once? It’s basically the same song over and over. A good one, but the same one.

Totally true. And they're shows are fun as heck. And they're good dudes to hang with at those shows.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
New PUP album April 5, announced via zine for fans
https://www.stereogum.com/2028359/pup-new-album-morbid-stuff-kids-zine/news/

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Hell fuckin' yeah.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Aw gently caress yes.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Dope news

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Jawbox reunion tour imminent:
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/jawbox-announce-2019-reunion-tour/

quote:

6.14 – Cambridge, MA @ Sinclair
6.21 – Philadelphia, PA @ Union Transfer
6.22 – Brooklyn, NY @ Brooklyn Steel
6.28 – Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club
7.9 – Seattle, WA @ Showbox at the Market
7.10 – Portland, OR @ Wonder Ballroom
7.12 – San Francisco, CA @ The Fillmore
7.13 – Los Angeles, CA @ The Regent Theater
7.19 – Dallas, TX @ Trees
7.20 – Austin, TX @ Mohawk
7.26 – Minneapolis, MN @ First Avenue
7.27 – Chicago, IL @ Metro

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqTNdUOE1wo

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

:iia:

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

This is fun

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
New Jeromes Dream coming this year plus a tour with Loma Prieta.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Bikini Kill is reuniting https://twitter.com/theebikinikill/status/1085220126381621248

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I saw J's Burning Airlines a few times, but never got to see Jawbox back in the day. I might have to road trip to Austin for this.

Reality Check: I thought the same thing about Jawbreaker, having only managed to see Jets to Brazil. I did not make that trip to see Jawbreaker last year. :(

Oh well. Cursive is coming to town. They're old too.