Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

PainterofCrap posted:

Report it immediately. You have coverage for additional living expenses (ALE), including a place to live & the cost of meals if you;re oin a hotel temporarily.

Please do this. Take lots of date stamped pics too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Wasabi the J posted:

gently caress don't trust a landlord

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

cakesmith handyman posted:

Wasabi the J posted:

gently caress don't trust a landlord

I don't know about you but I like to have at least a modicum of trust in my sexual partners

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Fellow Missourian here, don't trust Missouri landlords, our state sucks for tenant protection laws. Hope things work out thought!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Started a rental insurance claim but we're staying with my parents so really the only thing I can think of to claim so far would be all the groceries in the fridge that will go bad since we have no power.

Here's the outside of the bedroom where the wall broke. You can see the Google Fiber line sheared right through as well.

In crappy construction content, we don't have any gutters so the fascia is all rotting.

Edit: I will be sure to update the thread with any interesting happenings.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Have them charge you rent up to the amount insurance pays for?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

sadus posted:

Have them charge you rent up to the amount insurance pays for?

What does this even mean? That’s not how renters insurance works I’m pretty sure.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Burt Sexual posted:

What does this even mean? That’s not how renters insurance works I’m pretty sure.

My buddy rents a condo that flooded due to a roofing project that was done poorly and his renters insurance found him a place to live. he just pays whatever his rent was before and the insurance co pays whatever the difference is.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Technically, ALE pays your incurred expenses over and above your normal ones.

So, let's say your LL does have you move into another of his properties while that one is being fixed, and charges you $300 more per month to stay there. Your ALE coverage would reimburse you the $300 difference - since you would ordinarily be paying rent at you agreed lease amount anyway.

That's only in that scenario, however; if you stay at a hotel, they'll reimburse you the full cost of the hotel.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

PainterofCrap posted:

Technically, ALE pays your incurred expenses over and above your normal ones.

So, let's say your LL does have you move into another of his properties while that one is being fixed, and charges you $300 more per month to stay there. Your ALE coverage would reimburse you the $300 difference - since you would ordinarily be paying rent at you agreed lease amount anyway.

That's only in that scenario, however; if you stay at a hotel, they'll reimburse you the full cost of the hotel.

I’ve only stayed in hotels, for a loving month. With a dog and wife. Fun poo poo.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I am not currently incurring any costs for staying anywhere, as we are staying with my parents for the time being. I'm hoping that the house will only need a new roof and we can stay there while that happens, but I think the bedroom wall that has a hole clear through it will need some significant work, and we obviously can't sleep there while that happens.

I don't think we'll move to the landlord's more expensive house unless we really really like it. We hate the current house but the rent is extremely cheap and the location is great. We've been saving up to buy a house in a couple years and spending more on rent will put us way behind.

I didn't really mean for this to become "My E/N Smashed House Insurance Thread."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I am not currently incurring any costs for staying anywhere, as we are staying with my parents for the time being.

Has the landlord suspended your requirement to pay rent?

If you're not living in the house, you shouldn't be paying anything for it. If you pay in advance, have you arranged for a refund of monies paid for the time not spent in the house?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I am not currently incurring any costs for staying anywhere, as we are staying with my parents for the time being. I'm hoping that the house will only need a new roof and we can stay there while that happens, but I think the bedroom wall that has a hole clear through it will need some significant work, and we obviously can't sleep there while that happens.

I don't think we'll move to the landlord's more expensive house unless we really really like it. We hate the current house but the rent is extremely cheap and the location is great. We've been saving up to buy a house in a couple years and spending more on rent will put us way behind.

I didn't really mean for this to become "My E/N Smashed House Insurance Thread."

Bro if having a tree smash your weird gutterless house doesn't entitle you to vent I don't know what does.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sign a rental agreement with your parents for a reasonable amount, and then get your insurance to pay for it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Has the landlord suspended your requirement to pay rent?

If you're not living in the house, you shouldn't be paying anything for it. If you pay in advance, have you arranged for a refund of monies paid for the time not spent in the house?

Meh; unless there's an abatement provision (or local owner-tenant-landlord statutes), tenants are contractually required to pay or risk being in violation of the lease, especially in the event of a casualty loss to the premises (keeping in mind that if the place was a total loss, it's somewhat irrelevant).

That having been said, there's nothing stopping the LL from being a decent human being & waiving the rent. I have seen it done.

Leperflesh posted:

Sign a rental agreement with your parents for a reasonable amount, and then get your insurance to pay for it.

Just a handwritten note will do. Really. Unless Mom & Dad are being extremely avaricious jackwagons, in which case I'll have a few questions and will be requiring a SS & a 1099.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 14, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

This is what I was going for. It doesn't have to be much. Talk to your adjuster.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

PainterofCrap posted:

Meh; unless there's an abatement provision (or local owner-tenant-landlord statutes), tenants are contractually required to pay or risk being in violation of the lease, especially in the event of a casualty loss to the premises (keeping in mind that if the place was a total loss, it's somewhat irrelevant).

:sigh: I sometimes forget the US doesn't have consumer protections and rights.

That sucks for him. Having to pay for a house you can't even live in :(

schmug
May 20, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

:sigh: I sometimes forget the US doesn't have consumer protections and rights.

That sucks for him. Having to pay for a house you can't even live in :(

something seems really dumb about this statement

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Smashed House E/N the thread

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/extremely_wet/status/692052617074229252

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://mobile.twitter.com/scarytoilet

https://mobile.twitter.com/scarytoilet/status/1084324862494158848

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

New season of Westworld looking better than the last.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

"This media may contain sensitive material."

lol

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I'm just kind of surprised no goon ever made a gingerbread groverhaus

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It would drive you insane to try, like attempting Rachmaninov’s Piano Concerto No. 2

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Saw this while making a punch list today. It passed inspections, who am I to argue :shrug:

Edit: img tags not working for some reason:

Thanks goon below!

Sloppy fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 15, 2019

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Link directly to the image, ends in .jpg

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sydney Opal Tower report finds series of defects that will take 'weeks' to repair
Report author says the building at Olympic Park will effectively be a construction site, and residents should not move back in

The report found the building was structurally sound and not in danger of collapsing, but had many construction defects.

Two hob beams had “safety [standards] lower than required by standards”, a dowel bar between a hob beam and a panel “was observed to be incomplete”, precast concrete panels were found to be 200m wide, instead of 180mm, and a series of reinforcing bars were found to be 20mm, instead of 28mm. Asked if these were significant faults, Hoffman said it was too early to tell.

The report concluded that engineers needed more information to make definitive conclusions about the cause or causes of the damage.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/jan/15/sydney-opal-tower-report-defects-weeks-repair

More weight and less support than designed. This is fine

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

precast concrete panels were found to be 200m wide, instead of 180mm

I wish this were true

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sloppy posted:

Saw this while making a punch list today. It passed inspections, who am I to argue :shrug:

Edit: img tags not working for some reason:

Thanks goon below!

Goons poo poo on you for cutting the middle of engineered beams, now goons poo poo on you if you cut away the bearings?? So picky.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Winter Stormer posted:

I wish this were true
Further inspections show building to be a solid block of concrete, so called "apartments" just a cunning arrangement of mirrors.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

I feel for you.

I'm in the metro as well and my power just came back yesterday after going out around 8:30 Saturday morning.
Our lines are buries though, so we just had to wait until something upstream was fixed.

The snow did take down half of one of my gutters though. I guess it was loose and the added weight tore one side off.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I found this when I was removing a TV from a wall mount this afternoon in a restaurant. Every one of those was screwed into a drywall anchor, and at some point it's got to be cheaper to just buy a little bag of washers. Doesn't make any cents to me.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

The Human Cow posted:

I found this when I was removing a TV from a wall mount this afternoon in a restaurant. Every one of those was screwed into a drywall anchor, and at some point it's got to be cheaper to just buy a little bag of washers. Doesn't make any cents to me.

Jesus. At that wide, they could have at least hit one stud...

What's the middle wafer of a penny made from now? Zinc?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

kid sinister posted:

Jesus. At that wide, they could have at least hit one stud...

What's the middle wafer of a penny made from now? Zinc?

There's gotta be a stud between the outlets and the network jacks, right?

I understand using the pennies becuase $0.16 is way less than needing to go back to the hardware store, but not putting a single one into a stud boggles my mind.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
eh, it's not a full motion mount, so 16 anchors holding up an average weight panel at ~50lb is about 3 pounds per anchor.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

you can see they marked a stud in pencil and there's two screws in one of the little areas, extra one for the stud?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah. They put two screws in the stud, and enough screws that drywall anchors of basically any kind would be fine, and pennies are certainly the cheapest you can get a washer if you're buying less than like 1000 washers.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

I thought those outlets looked weird, but they're AFCI 120v? I've used some AFCI breakers but not outlets yet, what's the point of the extra slots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

sadus posted:

I thought those outlets looked weird, but they're AFCI 120v? I've used some AFCI breakers but not outlets yet, what's the point of the extra slots?

Those are just regular 20A outlets. No comment on if the wiring is up to 20A or not.