Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

The lyrics included such gems as "Interracial marriage is against nature," "Atheism is the devil's tool," "Homosexuality will destroy the world."

So it really is the new agey version of a racist/homophobic church sermon, huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Kurnugia posted:

the gimmick doesn't work if you keep switching between mocking tankies and posting things that are unironically good about china

e: actually, it does work.

yeah, that's actually why it's good

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:28 on Mar 23, 2021

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

The lyrics included such gems as "Interracial marriage is against nature," "Atheism is the devil's tool," "Homosexuality will destroy the world." The show ended with a triumph of the formerly oppressed Falun Gong characters over the Red Guards, who saw the error of their ways and joined them, with the Falun Gong practitioners holding up a sign that said FALUN GONG IS THE ONLY TRUE RELIGION at the end.

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Falun Gong go on Cum Town.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's admittedly hard to figure out as a neophyte how bad Falun Gong is, because if you look up anything about them it's all buried under a mountain of mystical crap and interference running propaganda where they whine about how much China persecutes them and that they've done nothing wrong.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's admittedly hard to figure out as a neophyte how bad Falun Gong is, because if you look up anything about them it's all buried under a mountain of mystical crap and interference running propaganda where they whine about how much China persecutes them and that they've done nothing wrong.

*only true for english readers

there's a wealth of information in chinese

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

i've read criticism comparing them to scientology. so comparing their numbers in china in the 1990s (according to the chinese government) to the U.S. population, it'd be like 18 million scientologists who were also poaching government officials and recruiting them into the cult. then imagine if the government revoked their tax exempt status so they started setting themselves on fire on the national mall.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Comparing them to scientology is a bit unfair, because scientology was made up from whole cloth while Falun Gong is a casserole of Asian mysticism. It's more like if Mormons believed Joseph Smith was a living god who fought demons, and his cum cures diseases so actually it's good that you let him cuck you.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Comparing them to scientology is a bit unfair, because scientology was made up from whole cloth while Falun Gong is a casserole of Asian mysticism. It's more like if Mormons believed Joseph Smith was a living god who fought demons, and his cum cures diseases so actually it's good that you let him cuck you.

lol if you believe that Scientology didn't rip off earlier sci-fi tropes

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

He didn't live long enough to get to that part.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i knew that Shen Yun was affiliated with Falun Gong and i never wanted to watch it for that and other reasons. but these accounts of the show make it sound so insane that it loops around into being entertaining. i gotta admit, i'm kinda intrigued now

they advertise all over NYC. subways, buses, storefronts, even the doorway to a residential apartment... you name it, they've got ads for it

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

get that OUT of my face posted:

i knew that Shen Yun was affiliated with Falun Gong and i never wanted to watch it for that and other reasons. but these accounts of the show make it sound so insane that it loops around into being entertaining. i gotta admit, i'm kinda intrigued now

they advertise all over NYC. subways, buses, storefronts, even the doorway to a residential apartment... you name it, they've got ads for it

one wonders how they can afford to advertise so much. not even a cult full of rich people like scientology has their market penetration. ah well probably nothing going on there

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i don't follow where you're going with that post, but that article says it's $300 so i'm back to not wanting to watch it. put it on DVD and maybe i'll buy a copy

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

currently at a transportation conference, I have a recommendation regarding snowy and icy roads now

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Falun Gong was made up in 1992 by Li Hongzhi as a syncretic cult.

worked for Nation of Islam, Mormonism, and Christianity

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

i don't follow where you're going with that post, but that article says it's $300 so i'm back to not wanting to watch it. put it on DVD and maybe i'll buy a copy

R. Guyovich is implying that CIA funded "poo poo Yun" marketing campaign, which while possible is probably false: since the $300/ticket price (lol capitalism) more than covers marketing campaign costs.

That being said "Falun Dafa" it self is most likely partially or wholly a CIA operation, in the early 90s the US needed new enemy to justify war-profiteering and existence of CIA deep state after fall of USSR due to revisionism. They had failed to overthrow the party and carve up China into neocolonialist possessions in 1989 through a secular student so-called "democratic movement" directed by small number of bad elements with ties to CIA and other westerners. However, they had just defeated USSR in Afghanistan by funding religious extremist "Taliban". Thus they probably read some 19th century chinese history and came upon the Taiping rebellion and thought they can overthrow China by funding a religious extremist movement to create a "Falun Mujaheddin" as a tool to return colonialism and forestall the rise of Chinese economic power directed by the party. It is no accident that Falun Gong extremist ideology rose around this time period.

Pro PRC Laowai
Jun 14, 2018
"Falun Mujaheddin" hahahaha

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Typo posted:

R. Guyovich is implying that CIA funded "poo poo Yun" marketing campaign, which while possible is probably false: since the $300/ticket price (lol capitalism) more than covers marketing campaign costs.

That being said "Falun Dafa" it self is most likely partially or wholly a CIA operation, in the early 90s the US needed new enemy to justify war-profiteering and existence of CIA deep state after fall of USSR due to revisionism. They had failed to overthrow the party and carve up China into neocolonialist possessions in 1989 through a secular student so-called "democratic movement" directed by small number of bad elements with ties to CIA and other westerners. However, they had just defeated USSR in Afghanistan by funding religious extremist "Taliban". Thus they probably read some 19th century chinese history and came upon the Taiping rebellion and thought they can overthrow China by funding a religious extremist movement to create a "Falun Mujaheddin" as a tool to return colonialism and forestall the rise of Chinese economic power directed by the party. It is no accident that Falun Gong extremist ideology rose around this time period.

no typo, you've gone too deep. TOO DEEP.

you've got to maintain the fine line between believable gimmick account and full on kojima-level conspiracy.

Pro PRC Laowai
Jun 14, 2018

florida lan posted:

no typo, you've gone too deep. TOO DEEP.

you've got to maintain the fine line between believable gimmick account and full on kojima-level conspiracy.

It's actually quite believable if you just swap falun gong for Tibet but it's much funnier this way

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
this performance of shen yun is dedicated to the brave mujahedeen

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i doubt very many people get tickets at full price. some of the venues they go to are huge and like, broadway shows don't fill them every night.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

R. Guyovich posted:

i doubt very many people get tickets at full price. some of the venues they go to are huge and like, broadway shows don't fill them every night.

apparently tickets are always sold out

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Typo posted:

apparently tickets are always sold out

my astroturfing alarms are going off again

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

R. Guyovich posted:

my astroturfing alarms are going off again

Tricky conspiracy to keep up, no? People would notice if the theater was half-empty, so the tickets would have to be unloaded for cheap to get people to actually, uh, go.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Norton the First posted:

Tricky conspiracy to keep up, no? People would notice if the theater was half-empty, so the tickets would have to be unloaded for cheap to get people to actually, uh, go.

this is a very common technique in the world of non-cult theatrical productions. you have blocs of comp seats or discounted seats so your actors aren't performing for empty or half-empty houses.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
plus free tickets for movers and shakers around town

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

*Guy walks up to you in time square*

"Hey you like Chinese mysticism?"

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah man, gimme two bags of Chinese mysticism.

We're talking about fentanyl and heroin, right?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Norton the First posted:

Yeah man, gimme two bags of Chinese mysticism.

We're talking about fentanyl and heroin, right?

i got a bag of mildly adulterated weed, which is frankly more up my alley and significantly cheaper

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

So why is it sometimes called Falun Gong and sometimes Falun Dafa?

When I saw them marching around in Korea their banner said Falun Dafa. But I hear Falun Gong from western sources more often.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Dafa just means "great method"... like a way of doing something, and it's big and important

Gong is literally the same word as kung in kungfu just a different romanization... uh it's like a way of expending energy and doing work

hmm

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
That didn't really answer you but I do see them call themselves dafa more, and the propaganda against them uses Gong so maybe it's a connotation thing

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Kinda like how blackwater has to rebrand every couple of years

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
So wait, I feel like I need clarification here. Somebody essentially made a stage play/musical of Battlefield Earth with Chinese characteristics, and it's some kind of scam? Is that the gist of things?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
as an enlightened white liberal, how do I get a Russian hammer and sickle next to my name? tia

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

i thought nobody could outdo typo but then homex invented a conspiracy theory in which the CIA secretly funds a falun gong operated cirque-de-soleil ripoff and then recruits crisis actors to fill the seats, all to keep americans from realizing the invincible truth of maoism

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
scientology with chinese characteristics

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Hamprince posted:

i thought nobody could outdo typo but then homex invented a conspiracy theory in which the CIA secretly funds a falun gong operated cirque-de-soleil ripoff and then recruits crisis actors to fill the seats, all to keep americans from realizing the invincible truth of maoism

lmao wat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The Great Autismo! posted:

as an enlightened white liberal, how do I get a Russian hammer and sickle next to my name? tia

You could ask a mod or admin who has to ask either lowtax or ZDR to change your platinum icon for you.

You uh, also have to have plat.