Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Comrade Quack posted:

I saw this cocktail on a menu in Ireland. It sounds like something Doc came up with.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

In name definitely, but the ingredients aren't nearly disgusting enough.

qirex posted:

Needs gummi bears and maybe a shot of Galliano.

One of my favorite details about "Doctails" is that it's not just about them having weird ingredients, the ingredients are also proportioned so they will be even grosser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Comrade Quack posted:

I saw this cocktail on a menu in Ireland. It sounds like something Doc came up with.

Doctail version:

Old fashioned glass. Wet the rim by dipping it into a bowl of rum. Then, dip into a bowl of shredded coconut. To the prepared glass, add one heaping teaspoon of crushed canned pineapple, then fill with ice. Pour in one 4 oz. bottle of generic, regular-flavored cough medicine (tussin preferred), and top with juice from the can of crushed pineapple.

Variant: garnish with two menthol-eucalyptus cough drops for a Kool Surfer.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I thought about doing a doctail party once but decided that a) i didn’t want to clean up everyone’s vomit and b) i’d like to keep my friends

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

One of my favorite details about "Doctails" is that it's not just about them having weird ingredients, the ingredients are also proportioned so they will be even grosser

A highball glass filled to the brim with grenadine.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Doctails explains a lot about Doc Venture's approach to, and success rate with, scientific and engineering endeavours.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doctails explains a lot about Doc Venture's approach to, and success rate with, scientific and engineering endeavours.

I don't know; he can be capable when the plot demands it.

To me, his prowess at mixology is more indicative of his approach to, and success rate with, women.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Doctails are what happens when a child playing pretend bartender has access to actual cocktail ingredients

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TK-42-1 posted:

I thought about doing a doctail party once but decided that a) i didn’t want to clean up everyone’s vomit and b) i’d like to keep my friends

Do it at a park or something so you don't have to clean up, and have your friends contribute recipes so it's not all your fault

Tuxedo Ted posted:

A highball glass filled to the brim with grenadine.

It says something that I love grenadine and even then I can tell that's gross

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What kind of kinky christmas spirit is that?
Well, it is Germanic

You know I was the first DJ at my college to play the Bauhaus
Great, so that makes you like 60?

The VB xmas special is so good, and its kind of amazing how well it holds up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MizPiz posted:

Doctails are what happens when a child playing pretend bartender has access to actual cocktail ingredients

That sounds right. It coulda been worse, given Johnny talks about how being left alone with his father's lab was a great start for a lifetime of drug addiction. (and Doc is a pill popper himself. 'Diet pills' are amphetamines, right?)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That sounds right. It coulda been worse, given Johnny talks about how being left alone with his father's lab was a great start for a lifetime of drug addiction. (and Doc is a pill popper himself. 'Diet pills' are amphetamines, right?)

Probably. Definitely some kind of stimulant. I grew up in the late 70s/early 80s, and back then, there were commercials on TV for at least two or three different OTC brands of appetite suppressants that were stimulants. The name "Dexatrim" keeps popping up in my head.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The ephedra ban cut down on some of the sketchiness of diet pills, but not by that much. It was very strong. I assume the truckers who used it to stay awake switched to amphetamines.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Do it at a park or something so you don't have to clean up, and have your friends contribute recipes so it's not all your fault
I keep hearing this in different character's voices. First Brock, then Pete, then 24.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Comrade Quack posted:

doc would reverse the proportions of each ingredient

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

tarlibone posted:

I don't know; he can be capable when the plot demands it.

To me, his prowess at mixology is more indicative of his approach to, and success rate with, women.

I feel like you could make it into a fairly general thing.

Doc got his picture of how a capable adult behaves from his father, which means that he thinks being competent means projecting 100% confidence at all times, which is why he always appears perfectly confident whenever he's in the mood to get things done and ignores his history of failure.

He reminds me of Inspector Clouseau, who, on review, is really only 10% actually stupid and 90% "unwilling to admit to mistakes, to the point that whenever something starts to go wrong he immediately doubles down."

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Slamhound posted:

I keep hearing this in different character's voices. First Brock, then Pete, then 24.

Now that you've said it I've been mentally playing it in my head with basically every character in the show's voice, and no matter who I use it becomes hilarious, so thanks you've given me a really nice accidental Christmas present

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I just got my kid the Venture Brothers art book for Christmas. He loves it. Bonus, I now have a copy of the Venture Brothers art book for myself that I can borrow from my kid. :D

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Sataere posted:

I just got my kid the Venture Brothers art book for Christmas. He loves it. Bonus, I now have a copy of the Venture Brothers art book for myself that I can borrow from my kid. :D

Good work, Doc.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Doctails, awoo ooo!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My wife got me the book too. Said she's had it in her Amazon cart for months before buying it.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Two weeks ago my gf walked by my bookshelf and just said “mother gently caress” under her breath and then logged into amazon on her phone.

pretty sure she was going to get me the art book and had to rethink her choice

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

But tonight, thank God it's them instead of you.

Thanks God!

Have they released any of these since the Shallow Gravy one? I know they were a big hassle for Jackson and Doc but I loved them. They were on my music playlists year round, but especially the holiday season.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Fezz posted:

Have they released any of these since the Shallow Gravy one? I know they were a big hassle for Jackson and Doc but I loved them. They were on my music playlists year round, but especially the holiday season.

They did one with Red Mantle and Dragoon singing the Miser Bros. song.

I am just too much!

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

James Urbaniak has done a brief and funny director's commentary for Kevin Spacey's recent Frank Underwood video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYrd3ajplcY

Pershing fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 29, 2018

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Pershing posted:

James Urbaniak has done a brief and funny director's commentary for Kevin Spacey's recent Frank Underwood video.

Pro-loving-click.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Pershing posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't know this was a thing. The Kevin Spacey video, I mean.

Now to get Patrick Warburton, Doc Hammer, Jackson Publick, and Michael Sinterniklaas to do similar director's commentaries. In-character, of course. (At the very least, Henchman 21.)

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I know this is news, and a big cultural moment, but much like I could click a "please stop showing me Trump pictures or news until I feel better," I wish I could avoid the face of this other kid rapist popping up in unexpected places.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Turn on your monitor

i’m so sorry

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

tarlibone posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't know this was a thing. The Kevin Spacey video, I mean.

Now to get Patrick Warburton, Doc Hammer, Jackson Publick, and Michael Sinterniklaas to do similar director's commentaries. In-character, of course. (At the very least, Henchman 21.)

Only if 24 makes an appearance

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
An LP channel with 21 and Monarch would be incredible.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I absolutely needed this gif for another thread but I couldn't find it anywhere on the internet, so I had to make it myself. Enjoy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Assisted Suicide may be one of my favourite episodes. Maybe because I like those psychological deconstruction metaphors. Especially when Rusty's ego is a tinkerer constantly trying to repair a Rusty Venture doll, it goes all too well with the noted phenomenon of how victims of childhood abuse and neglect can end up constantly trying to relive and reconstruct said childhood, trying to get it right this time and fix everything that went wrong.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Heads up for UK goons, Venture Bros. may air on channel 4 or e4 as Adult Swim is making deals to get their stuff on UK television. What's know. So far is that seasons 1 - 3 of Rick and Morty are to be shown on e4 before season 4 airs on channel 4.

So, anyway, get your folks to watch House of Mummies, Part 2 before they get the chance to screetch about the pickle.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
About bloody time. This show is impossible to suggest to people over here because DVD are out of print and for some alien reason they've yet to put it on Netflix.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

About bloody time. This show is impossible to suggest to people over here because DVD are out of print and for some alien reason they've yet to put it on Netflix.

It's on Hulu. Is that not UK-available?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
A friend in the animation industry and I started a podcast where we're going through every show ever broadcast on Adult Swim. Some guests we've recorded with/have coming up are Nick Wiger from Doughboys, Rick and Morty director Bryan Newton, and a very special Venture Bros guest we haven't revealed yet.

I'm posting it because our Patreon show is going through every episode of The Venture Bros and we put the first episode out on our free feed today: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-deep-end/id1445635911?mt=2&i=1000427764149

If you like it there are more waiting at Patreon.com/thedeepend!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

QuarkJets posted:

It's on Hulu. Is that not UK-available?

Unless they are a turbo nerd, no they have not heard of Hulu.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Unmature posted:

A friend in the animation industry and I started a podcast where we're going through every show ever broadcast on Adult Swim. Some guests we've recorded with/have coming up are Nick Wiger from Doughboys, Rick and Morty director Bryan Newton, and a very special Venture Bros guest we haven't revealed yet.

I'm posting it because our Patreon show is going through every episode of The Venture Bros and we put the first episode out on our free feed today: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-deep-end/id1445635911?mt=2&i=1000427764149

If you like it there are more waiting at Patreon.com/thedeepend!

Wasn't a recent Talking Simpsons guest plugging this? I remember looking unsuccessfully for it on Spotify.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

Wasn't a recent Talking Simpsons guest plugging this? I remember looking unsuccessfully for it on Spotify.

That was me. It's on Spotify now. It takes a while to get on other platforms sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How are you able to listen to podcasts on Spotify? Every time I've tried, it forgets where I was in the podcast.