Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Kazak_Hstan posted:

If they did actually come to their senses and just kill brexit, is that it? Does the EU automatically keep them?

lol no

they automatically kick them out with nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

lol no

they automatically kick them out with nothing

lmao this is all extra hilarious then

(but what’s the point of a second referendum then if “remain” just means the eu says get hosed?)

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Kazak_Hstan posted:

lmao this is all extra hilarious then

(but what’s the point of a second referendum then if “remain” just means the eu says get hosed?)

Nah it's if they do nothing from this point on they get the boot. They can still rescind Article 50 at pretty much any point before the withdrawal date, that's what a second referendum would presumably be for.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
the uk is engaging in exactly the sort of totally preventable denial-based self-destruction as I do

this is extremely cool and I can’t wait for America to catch up

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

EU reps have repeatedly said that the brits can cancel article 50 or extend the deadline at any time. No problemo. The crisis and brinkmanship is entirely of their own making

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lleave would absolutely win another vote and it wouldnt be close. but it would be hilarious.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If the no confidence vote passes and a GE is triggered, would a new government take office before the current Brexit deadline is reached?

Because I would assume that a new (Labour) government would ask for an extension so that they have the time to run a second referendum (and then renegotiate a deal if Brexit still passes a second time), if that was the direction that the party would take them, but it would be pretty funny if the dates don't match and the Tories trigger a No Deal Brexit out of spite.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

THC posted:

EU reps have repeatedly said that the brits can cancel article 50 or extend the deadline at any time. No problemo. The crisis and brinkmanship is entirely of their own making

*shoots self in foot*

Why would Brussels do this to us?

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
"leave" would win because while "remain" is straightforward, there is no actual defined leave proposition to say yes or no to. and every gammon brained racist imagines that the vague handwaving translates to exactly the form and outcome they personally imagine. brexit is the star citizen of geopolitics.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kazak_Hstan posted:

the uk is engaging in exactly the sort of totally preventable denial-based self-destruction as I do

this is extremely cool and I can’t wait for America to catch up

We're already ahead of the curve here.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Ayn Randi posted:

"leave" would win because while "remain" is straightforward, there is no actual defined leave proposition to say yes or no to. and every gammon brained racist imagines that the vague handwaving translates to exactly the form and outcome they personally imagine. brexit is the star citizen of geopolitics.

“Do you agree that Quebec should become sovereign after having made a formal offer to Canada for a new economic and political partnership within the scope of the bill respecting the future of Quebec and of the agreement signed on June 12, 1995?”

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
As an American, all Brexit has seemed to me is years of dumbass Brits thinking that they can magically get member status access to the EU market without allowing the free movement of people. And they keep getting told it's not going to loving happen over and over and over again in so many different ways and they just refuse to believe it because racism and paranoia.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Ayn Randi posted:

Also because Remainers are incompetent at politics

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Glenn Quebec posted:

Watch may call for another general election and end up further eroding any control she may have

At this point I'm half-expecting May to call another election and somehow gently caress it up so badly she has to be co-PM with Corbyn or something

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ayn Randi posted:

which is why not having a 2nd referendum be to approve or reject a deal is loving idiocy.

I've said this for a long time, calling it a second referendum is a bad idea.

It should be a vote to ratify a deal, and it's what May should have done. But that horse has well and truly bolted.

Like surely May's deal cannot be on a referendum now, so it has to be No Deal or Remain. Which is possibly an even more stupid idea than the original loving referendum.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

My tinfoil conspiracy theory is that No Deal Brexit has been the Tories' plan all along. They want to provoke the largest possible catastrophe so the private sector can swoop in and privatize loving everything while selling marked-up disaster supplies and tickets off the island. Then while everyone's distracted they can pass some modernizing market reforms through parliament, like lowering the working age to 8 or whatever

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

THC posted:

My tinfoil conspiracy theory is that No Deal Brexit has been the Tories' plan all along. They want to provoke the largest possible catastrophe so the private sector can swoop in and privatize loving everything while selling marked-up disaster supplies and tickets off the island. Then while everyone's distracted they can pass some modernizing market reforms through parliament, like lowering the working age to 8 or whatever

it's certainly been some of the tories' plan

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

THC posted:

hard to keep it privatized after the guillotines come out tho

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

THC posted:

American here. Outside the NHS what else would they have to privatize?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

papersack posted:

American here. Outside the NHS what else would they have to privatize?

Utilities, prisons, national trust lands. The railways were privatized a while back, and it's been a right bollocking mess.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
This list of things that were already privatised is pretty impressive:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_privatizations_by_country#United_Kingdom

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

sullat posted:

Utilities, prisons, national trust lands. The railways were privatized a while back, and it's been a right bollocking mess.

most of the rail infrastructure itself is publicly owned after the holding company for it went bankrupt and got re-nationalized in the blair years because nobody else wanted to touch it. though i'm not sure anyone's itching to buy it

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Dreddout posted:

*shoots self in foothead*

Ftfy

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

THC posted:

the clusterfuck is that the tories are a mix of grifters who want no deal for the private sector bucks, nationalist true believer dumbasses who think the eu is holding back britain's greatness, and people who know it's a bad idea but are tories and thus spineless/evil

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

also sometimes tony blair sticks his head into the room to see if everyone still hates him(they do)

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Yinlock posted:

the clusterfuck is that the tories are a mix of grifters who want no deal for the private sector bucks, nationalist true believer dumbasses who think the eu is holding back britain's greatness, and people who know it's a bad idea but are tories and thus spineless/evil

seems like its more of a similar division to the current GOP where you have the nationalist populist wing (trump in US, tory brexiteers) vs the neoliberal free trade business wing (ryan romney etc, remainer tories)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Ian Dunt is editor of politics.co.uk

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

THC posted:

Seems to me that if your goal is to stop brexit, your best bet is to hold a vote in parliament and kill the loving thing, and try to forget there was ever a referendum in the first place. You have no way of knowing how another referendum will shake out it, you'd just be flipping a coin again. Meanwhile parliament is supreme and it's right there. So it's odd to me that Remainiacs are so horny for a second referendum, which they could very easily lose a second time

This would be the best way but no party would support it because it would be suicide, and not just politically. Two seconds after announcing their intent the papers would be calling them traitors and you'd have hordes of bellowing gammon outside parliment waving nooses. They've already been hanging around calling people nazis because they dared to offer anything other than a pro-brexit opinion. Although, there's a good chance of civil unrest no matter the outcome so they should do the right thing anyhow and let the army have some target practice.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The whole civil unrest thing if Brexit is cancelled is massively overblown, but the thing people forget (in particular remainers) is that Brexit is still really popular as a policy, which is why both Labour and the Tories can't come straight out and say "gently caress it"

A bunch of people at my work who aren't brexiteers or anything wanted the deal to be passed just so the whole thing gets sorted out

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

wanted the deal to be passed just so the whole thing gets sorted out

I find these people more baffling than any other group. At least the hardcore no-dealers seem to care about something even if it is stupid.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

alphabettitouretti posted:

I find these people more baffling than any other group. At least the hardcore no-dealers seem to care about something even if it is stupid.

Politics isn't (viewed as) a positive force in these people's lives and they have little ability to affect politicians so politicians are like senior management at work - out of touch and annoying, giving big speeches about how well everyone had done while no one you know gives a gently caress and just wants them to shut up.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

hakimashou posted:

Where did this demented "you cant have another referendum we already had one" argument come from anyway.

Democracy constantly has 'do over' votes on things, it's the whole basis of having periodic elections. People vote again and again and again for MP and council members.

The US has a 'do over vote' every 2 years for the house of representatives and every 4 years for president.

The whole notion of having a no confidence vote and forcing an election is to have a 'do over.'

Of all the stupidity thats oozed out of the brexit mess it strikes me as one of the most bizarrely and transparently asinine.

While you can have another referendum, these examples aren't really good or comparable... those things you mentioned are already built into the system and are thus much easier to execute and don't involve any political capital.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://twitter.com/PerthshireMags/status/1085330162449874945

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

JFairfax posted:

which is why not having a 2nd referendum be to approve or reject a deal is loving idiocy.

I've said this for a long time, calling it a second referendum is a bad idea.

It should be a vote to ratify a deal, and it's what May should have done. But that horse has well and truly bolted.

Like surely May's deal cannot be on a referendum now, so it has to be No Deal or Remain. Which is possibly an even more stupid idea than the original loving referendum.

May was never going to hold a referendum for her deal. Why on earth would she? Brexit only won by a narrow margin, and only by virtue of promising that the UK would maintain every advantage of being a EU member while also saving more money than they'd ever spent on membership and getting rid of all the foreigners. A referendum on a specific deal would necessarily do worse than a vote in parliament.

A second referendum would either do absolutely nothing, or end up with Remain winning, neither of which is of any use to May.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

And lol if anyone thinks this deal passing would be the end of it. That's just to agree what happens after Mar 29th. This is going to drag on for a long rear end time. Anyone tired of hearing about brexit should move to a remote island and cut off all human contact for the rest of their life.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

I’m in the USA and I like to bug people around me with brexit news as small talk, so rest assured a handful of random hicks in flyover country USA understand how hosed y’all are

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

alphabettitouretti posted:

And lol if anyone thinks this deal passing would be the end of it. That's just to agree what happens after Mar 29th. This is going to drag on for a long rear end time. Anyone tired of hearing about brexit should move to a remote island and cut off all human contact for the rest of their life.

The same applies if article 50 is withdrawn, there are still going to be a bunch of Tory headbangers who hate the EU and are going to get given hours of airtime by the BBC. Especially if we don't do hard brexit meaning they can still go WELL WE DONT KNOW HOW GOOD IT WOULD HAVE BEEN BECAUSE THEY NEVER SAW IT THROUGH :britain:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Former DILF posted:

I’m in the USA and I like to bug people around me with brexit news as small talk, so rest assured a handful of random hicks in flyover country USA understand how hosed y’all are

Yeah we do the same but for trump. Laughing at the orange berder loving pres is a pleasant reprieve from the horror that is brexit.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dreddout posted:

*blows leg off at hip*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

what strikes me as the common thread between all of this poo poo is a voting public desperately wanting to believe an unrealistic and vastly over-simplified story about how the world works

also a complete failure to realise that "making a deal" with someone literally means perhaps agreeing to do some things that benefit them in return for them doing some things that benefit you