Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cythereal posted:

That his actor has more charisma than most of the other cast and I think his core character arc is more compelling than that of the other heroes. I also like how deeply and visibly flawed Tony is, what tends to bug me most about the likes of Captain America and Superman is how perfect and good and untroubled by any ambiguity or shades of grey they are. They, to me, are unrealistically good good guys, and I like that for Tony it's a struggle to be a good guy. I think it gives him depth and texture you don't see with a lot of the other supers. Tony's allowed to make mistakes and gently caress up and still be in character as a fundamentally good guy. Thor at least found his footing with me when Watiti figured out that Hemsworth is a natural at comedy and shifted from serious space wizard god drama to action comedy.

hmm, not so sure about this 'a weapons manufacturer is a fundamentally good guy' bit but if you want a superman who's a realistic and troubled good guy i would recommend man of steel and batman vs superman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Brother Entropy posted:

hmm, not so sure about this 'a weapons manufacturer is a fundamentally good guy' bit but if you want a superman who's a realistic and troubled good guy i would recommend man of steel and batman vs superman

He stops being a weapons manufacturer halfway through the first movie.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cythereal posted:

no he continues making weapons in more or less every movie he's been in; in fact one of the avengers movies' plot is completely dependent on him making weapons and in another one he arms a high schooler to apprehend an international criminal

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Brother Entropy posted:

no he continues making weapons in more or less every movie he's been in; in fact one of the avengers movies' plot is completely dependent on him making weapons and in another one he arms a high schooler to apprehend an international criminal

So you're defining him making suits for himself and equipment for other superheroes as him being an industrial weapons manufacturer.

That is literally the position a HYDRA operative takes on Stark in the second movie when trying to steal Stark's tech, so good luck with that.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cythereal posted:

So you're defining him making suits for himself and equipment for other superheroes as him being an industrial weapons manufacturer.

That is literally the position a HYDRA operative takes on Stark in the second movie when trying to steal Stark's tech, so good luck with that.

drat, you totally busted me for...trying to steal the fictional character's fictional tech? is that what's happening here?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The Hulkbuster armor is not a specifically designed weapon, but in fact an elaborate one-man bouncy castle.

You fool.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Mysterio's beams kind of have the same glyph look going on that Dr Strange et. al's magic has, I wonder if he was part of the club and got kicked out.

Or maybe that's what he wants you to think :tinfoil:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

His character arc in the first movie is that he gets harmed by weapons so he decides only HE should have weapons (and also be surrounded by a shell to protect him) and then this escalates throughout the movies.

Like, sure he stopped making weapons to sell to governments for warfare but he also made Ultron right in the middle of his multi-film arc.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Guy A. Person posted:

His character arc in the first movie is that he gets harmed by weapons so he decides only HE should have weapons (and also be surrounded by a shell to protect him) and then this escalates throughout the movies.

Like, sure he stopped making weapons to sell to governments for warfare but he also made Ultron right in the middle of his multi-film arc.

He made Ultron specifically to fight the armies of Thanos, which he knew drat well were coming.

Probably wouldn't have helped, really.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cythereal posted:

He made Ultron specifically to fight the armies of Thanos, which he knew drat well were coming.

Probably wouldn't have helped, really.

you're really bad at defending this character you've decided is fundamentally a good guy

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

what's compelling about a character who you agree doesn't ever get to change or grow?

Maybe Cythereal can personally relate to such a character.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Brother Entropy posted:

you're really bad at defending this character you've decided is fundamentally a good guy

Would it help if I pointed out that the context was Wanda loving with Tony's mind, filling him with images of his greatest fear prompting him to do anything and everything he could to stop it? Incidentally, his greatest fear was Earth being destroyed and his friends dying - but not him, specifically him alone surviving out of all his friends, and Earth fell and his friends died because he personally didn't do enough. He could have saved them, if only he'd done more, if only he'd pushed harder.

Honestly, it might be the most selfless deepest fear in that movie.

Probably wouldn't help if I pointed out that no army in the galaxy helped against Thanos, and that Tony was the one who came up with the plan that would have stopped Thanos if it weren't for Starlord letting his temper get the better of him.

That's kind of the point of Thanos regarding Tony's character arc. Tony's known ever since Avengers that one day Thanos and his armies would come to Earth, and he was desperate for anything that might stop Thanos and save the world. That knowledge and PTSD from Avengers is what prompted Ultron, and the suit building spree in IM3. I can't even hold Tony recruiting Peter Parker against him, because when Thanos comes knocking he does not give a poo poo how old you are or how ready you don't feel you are, he is going to kill half the cosmos unless he is stopped.

But I say that knowing full well that you don't care. Shouting into the void, I suppose.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it's not selfless to be 'oh only i could've saved everyone, if earth falls it's personally my fault', it's a narcissistic delusion that you're the most important and powerful person on earth

the reason thanos scares tony is because he's tony if the universe ever stopped revolving around said delusion

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Cythereal posted:

Last we saw him he was the chief of security at Stark Industries, working for Pepper rather than Tony.

I am seriously expecting Tony to bite it in Endgame, and after seeing Spiderverse today, I think I'd be just fine if he gave Holland the great responsibility line as his send-off. Fits both Peter and Tony's own character arc.

I would not be in favor of this. It was nice that we didn't have to see Uncle Ben die again in Homecoming but giving his famous line to Tony would be awful. People already didn't like the mentor role they gave Tony in Homecoming. Let Spider-Man be his own person a little more. He doesn't need Tony to learn that lesson. He already did and that's why he is Spider-Man.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Spacebump posted:

I would not be in favor of this. It was nice that we didn't have to see Uncle Ben die again in Homecoming but giving his famous line to Tony would be awful. People already didn't like the mentor role they gave Tony in Homecoming.

I liked Tony being Peter's mentor and father figure. I liked the implication that Tony saw Peter as a son figure, and was rooting for Tony and May in Homecoming before that got torpedoed at the end. :shrug:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

To the extent the Tony/Peter relationship works is that while Tony is trying to mentor Peter, he's actually learning more himself.

Spider-Man tho shouldn't get that speech so long into his heroing in my opinion in either case. At this point he's proven he doesn't really need to hear that, he already is a hero.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Cythereal posted:

Briefly.

“I am shutting down the weapons manufacturing division of Stark Industries until such a time as I can decide what the future of the company will be.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Man I can't believe we're getting a full fishbowl-on-head look for Mysterio. He's one of my favorite spidey villians and his design is one of my favorite parts. I was really worried about the rumors that he was going to be like an Astronaut that gets mutated or whatever dumb idea that was.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
One of the bigger things pointing to Stark dying in Endgame, IMO, is (casting spoiler) Ty Simpkins (Harley Keener) from IM3 is apparently returning in some capacity. He’s obviously aged too much since 2013 to play the character as he appeared in IM3 for flashbacks/time travel, and I can’t imagine that he has some big secret role when the film has so many other characters who’ve appeared in films more recently, so having him as a guest at Stark’s funeral seems to be the most logical place a cameo would fit. But we’ll see.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Cythereal posted:

I can't even hold Tony recruiting Peter Parker against him, because when Thanos comes knocking he does not give a poo poo how old you are or how ready you don't feel you are, he is going to kill half the cosmos unless he is stopped.

did tony stark know thanos' plan before infinity war?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

did tony stark know thanos' plan before infinity war?

He doesn't even know his name. The most info Tony has is the armada he glimpses when he goes through the portal in Avengers (and I guess Scarlet Witch's vision, but how reliable would that be once they figure out what her deal is?).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fart City posted:

He doesn't even know his name. The most info Tony has is the armada he glimpses when he goes through the portal in Avengers (and I guess Scarlet Witch's vision, but how reliable would that be once they figure out what her deal is?).

But it's been a recurring plot beat from IM3 onwards that Tony fears that the space army that attacked in Avengers will return - he says outright in AoU that he believes they'll return, and in greater force. Tony notes in IW that Thanos is the threat he's feared for so long, and Thanos agrees that he knows all about Stark and how hard Stark has worked to prepare for this battle. IM3, AoU, and CA3 all agree that Tony's plans and technology are focused on preparing for an outside attack from space, not any threats on the ground.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

RDJ has been playing the same character with no growth or anything for however long since Iron Man came out and it's loving dull and boring now.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

pitting superheroes against each other in CW was insanely stupid if he was thinking about thanos the whole time. what if any of them died? what if cap didn't go 'no worries we're still bros' and gave him a bat-phone at the end?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Yeah I don't remember Ambiguous Space Threat being mentioned at all in CW. Mostly it's just dealing with the true threat to earth: Stark and Stark-adjacent elements blowing up or falling out of the sky.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cythereal posted:

Thor at least found his footing with me when Watiti figured out that Hemsworth is a natural at comedy and shifted from serious space wizard god drama to action comedy.

The first Thor movie wasn't exactly 100% serious, the comedy elements were always there to some extent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsIJ9WjorY0

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The first Thor movie wasn't exactly 100% serious, the comedy elements were always there to some extent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsIJ9WjorY0

It was literally a romantic comedy, it just happened to have a high fantasy premise.

And in all honesty, Thor 3 is not a significantly funnier movie, nor is it less sentimental about the subject. Both Branagh and Waititi are clearly respectful of the character. It's just that their senses of both of those things are different. People like Thor 3 a lot because it's more or less just the unofficial third Guardians movie, with a snipey distance from any pretense that the character is supposed to be serious Branagh's film isn't precisely serious, but it's obviously way more overt in trying to pitch Thor as a sex symbol/romantic lead as well as an archetypal dude-bro comic trope. The thirst is powerful in that one, and in contrast Waititi's film just feels so weirdly antiseptic, like it's the conjurings of the collective imaginary of fans who have to substitute toys for the absence of a healthy erotophilia.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

K. Waste posted:

It was literally a romantic comedy, it just happened to have a high fantasy premise.

And in all honesty, Thor 3 is not a significantly funnier movie, nor is it less sentimental about the subject. Both Branagh and Waititi are clearly respectful of the character. It's just that their senses of both of those things are different. People like Thor 3 a lot because it's more or less just the unofficial third Guardians movie, with a snipey distance from any pretense that the character is supposed to be serious Branagh's film isn't precisely serious, but it's obviously way more overt in trying to pitch Thor as a sex symbol/romantic lead as well as an archetypal dude-bro comic trope. The thirst is powerful in that one, and in contrast Waititi's film just feels so weirdly antiseptic, like it's the conjurings of the collective imaginary of fans who have to substitute toys for the absence of a healthy erotophilia.

God drat you guys are weird here

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I always appreciate a fish-out-of-water tale. Thor 1 is pretty darn good.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Its Coke posted:

God drat you guys are weird here

It's not particularly controversial to assert that the first Thor was a fish out of water romcom where Natalie Portman meets Australian Starman

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

I Before E posted:

It's not particularly controversial to assert that the first Thor was a fish out of water romcom where Natalie Portman meets Australian Starman

Not that part

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Its Coke posted:

Not that part

there is a dire shortage of beekcake in cape man movies, coke, and everyday i'm waiting for someone to come on the news and address this crisis

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

K. Waste posted:

there is a dire shortage of beekcake in cape man movies, coke, and everyday i'm waiting for someone to come on the news and address this crisis

It's still weird how Thor 1 had Natalie Portman all thirsty for topless Thor and First Avenger had this

and yet Avengers 1 didn't have any dudes take their shirt off.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It's Joss Whedon's fault, isn't it?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Cythereal posted:

That's kind of the point of Thanos regarding Tony's character arc. Tony's known ever since Avengers that one day Thanos and his armies would come to Earth, and he was desperate for anything that might stop Thanos and save the world. That knowledge and PTSD from Avengers is what prompted Ultron, and the suit building spree in IM3. I can't even hold Tony recruiting Peter Parker against him, because when Thanos comes knocking he does not give a poo poo how old you are or how ready you don't feel you are, he is going to kill half the cosmos unless he is stopped.

Tony Stark posted:

I exist only to protect Earth from Thanos. That is the sole purpose for which I was born. And every action I take, no matter how violent or how cruel, is for the greater good of my people.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

And now I have, uh, 50% of people.

The MSJ posted:

It's Joss Whedon's fault, isn't it?

Almost certainly. Dude was just jealous of the magnificent pecs around him, and he even gave Cap an extra-lovely costume to cover them up.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grendels Dad posted:

It's still weird how Thor 1 had Natalie Portman all thirsty for topless Thor and First Avenger had this

and yet Avengers 1 didn't have any dudes take their shirt off.

I think we can all agree that these beautiful hunks need to be popping their shirts off waaaay more often

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Cythereal posted:

bunch of nerd poo poo

Yet people who care about Peter Parker's room being consistent are dorks.

K. Waste posted:

Thor 1 is almost as funny as Thor 3

:psyduck:

Honestly half the reason I read this thread is because it astounds me what people will come up with. Seeing the huge variety of opinions is fascinating to me. To be clear, my opinions are terrible and I am not suggesting they are correct. I am dumb as gently caress. I once argued for several pages about how Batman needs to be non-lethal in order to be a compelling character, an opinion which I still hold.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 16, 2019

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Holy poo poo you guys. Here's a screen from the upcoming Justice League vs the Fatal Five

Please please please don't be anything like Batman and Harley Quinn which was one of the most disappointing movies I have ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Holy poo poo you guys. Here's a screen from the upcoming Justice League vs the Fatal Five

Please please please don't be anything like Batman and Harley Quinn which was one of the most disappointing movies I have ever seen.

Yes, those are certainly characters from the DC comics.

Is there anything special about them?