Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Reynold posted:

I like how Verizon dumped the series and now we have a foreign telecom as the title sponsor instead, lol

NTT is #55 on the Fortune Global 500 list. Verizon is #37.

That's not a big drop-off. And that we're talking about Global 500 corporations enthusiastically wanting to sponsor Indycar, compared to Monster Energy phoning it in with NASCAR…

Actually Healthy Racing Series, indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

tbf Monster's Cup trophy is pretty bad rear end

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fauxhawk Express posted:

tbf Monster's Cup trophy is pretty bad rear end

Can't be as good as the Corn Pump.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Basticle posted:

I still lol at Izod

Nothing says speed like men’s business casual.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WindyMan posted:

NTT is #55 on the Fortune Global 500 list. Verizon is #37.

That's not a big drop-off.

This. And it's an Excellent sign that they were able to get NTT on board -- not just the American side, but if the parent company name is there, that means they got Japan to sign off, which is very good for the series in terms of its international visibility. It's a sign NTT wants to expand at least its B2B business in the U.S., and if the sponsorship deal means they think it's a good place for that, then that's not a bad sign.

The other strong news? Is if they rope in more of the Japanese blue chips that seem to always have sponsorship money but spend it on golfers or other things instead.

I'm pretty used to the logo since it's everywhere here.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Space Racist posted:

Nothing says speed like men’s business casual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIuPImEz_OQ

Though it's still better than "search engine that isn't Google".

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Naw don’t get me wrong, I’m happy NTT has picked up Indycar, all I was saying is gently caress Verizon. And yeah, I know Penske has sponsorship from Verizon still, I just hate it when they run two cars that look exactly the same.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Reynold posted:

Naw don’t get me wrong, I’m happy NTT has picked up Indycar, all I was saying is gently caress Verizon. And yeah, I know Penske has sponsorship from Verizon still, I just hate it when they run two cars that look exactly the same.

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad

the Verizon scheme doesn't look as good as any of these

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

yellow and blue Penske scheme is criminally underrated

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The testing blackout ended today, and testing started for some teams. A bunch of others are waiting until February for better temps.

Looks like Veach's sponsor is trying out another brand from their stable:

https://twitter.com/vincent1701/status/1085256130203451392

e: also the addition of that little white stripe on the rear cowling really helps the #10 i think.

https://twitter.com/vincent1701/status/1085280664616947712

Cygni fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 16, 2019

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Penske Marlboro schemes were the loving best

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Absolutely correct.

Also how the gently caress did Boesel get into the middle of that front row that year in qualifying? Good lord.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Cygni posted:

e: also the addition of that little white stripe on the rear cowling really helps the #10 i think.

https://twitter.com/vincent1701/status/1085280664616947712

hosed up that indycar has to cover for this car's lack of sponsorship :rip:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Stealing from discord
https://twitter.com/IndyCaronNBC/status/1085284414974771200?s=19

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Hinch fastest of the 11 cars at Sebring today (although there were multiple tire compounds being run)

1. James Hinchcliffe, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports-Honda, 51.37sec
2. Zach Veach, Andretti Autosport-Honda, 51.46sec
3. Takuma Sato, Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing-Honda, 51.48sec
4. Ryan Hunter-Reay, Andretti Autosport-Honda, 51.62sec
5. Alexander Rossi, Andretti Autosport-Honda, 51.66sec
6. Ed Jones, Ed Carpenter Racing-Chevrolet, 51.85sec
7. Felix Rosenqvist, Chip Ganassi Racing-Honda, 51.97sec
8. Marcus Ericsson, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports-Honda, 52.00sec
9. Spencer Pigot, Ed Carpenter Racing-Chevrolet, 52.03sec
10. Marco Andretti, Andretti Autosport-Honda, 52.13sec
11. Graham Rahal, Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing-Honda, 52.23sec

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/hinchcliffe-fastest-indycar-test-sebring/4324509/

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

harperdc posted:

Absolutely correct.

Also how the gently caress did Boesel get into the middle of that front row that year in qualifying? Good lord.

It was a good car. It’s one of my favourite schemes ever.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Cygni posted:

Hinch fastest of the 11 cars at Sebring today (although there were multiple tire compounds being run)

1. James Hinchcliffe, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports-Honda, 51.37sec
2. Zach Veach, Andretti Autosport-Honda, 51.46sec
3. Takuma Sato, Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing-Honda, 51.48sec
4. Ryan Hunter-Reay, Andretti Autosport-Honda, 51.62sec
5. Alexander Rossi, Andretti Autosport-Honda, 51.66sec
6. Ed Jones, Ed Carpenter Racing-Chevrolet, 51.85sec
7. Felix Rosenqvist, Chip Ganassi Racing-Honda, 51.97sec
8. Marcus Ericsson, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports-Honda, 52.00sec
9. Spencer Pigot, Ed Carpenter Racing-Chevrolet, 52.03sec
10. Marco Andretti, Andretti Autosport-Honda, 52.13sec
11. Graham Rahal, Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing-Honda, 52.23sec

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/hinchcliffe-fastest-indycar-test-sebring/4324509/

Surely that's not the whole lap, is it?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I'm assuming they're just running the north loop and avoiding the runway

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
"Schmidt Peterson Motorsports-Honda’s James Hinchcliffe set fastest time at the end of an 8.5-hour test on Sebring’s 1.7-mile short circuit today."
Reading is FUNdamental

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Ah, gotcha. Makes sense. Was gonna say, even the street circuits aren't as bumpy as Sebring and a sub-minute lap on the full circuit would be right proper insane/impossible.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, they don't run the runway portions cause A) they are bumpy as gently caress and B) they want to simulate the slower portions of streetcircuits that are more important to laptimes, and running down the straight doesn't really do that.

This is the old aerokit/electronics, but probably the best highres onboard for the Sebring short course they run, using the access roads to cut through and setup a goofy pitlane on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NbHrjEmZAU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Let's be fair, the IMS road race exists primarily to make it still the "month" of May. It's acceptable for that alone.

The GP is great! Much more like in the mold of a picnic than it would be the 500's atmosphere of :911: racing mardi gras.

I love both.

also the Chili Bowl rules and you guys should be following it to support Conor Daly along with other amazing drivers from WOO, USAC, ASCS, and NASCAR all racing together.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

harperdc posted:

Absolutely correct.

Dick Simon's team was on fire all month. Lynn St James outqualified Mansell, Mario & Arie on Pole Day.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

IOwnCalculus posted:

Other than the horrible IR cars all of these own. All of them.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

Let's be fair, the IMS road race exists primarily to make it still the "month" of May. It's acceptable for that alone.

FuzzySkinner posted:

The GP is great! Much more like in the mold of a picnic than it would be the 500's atmosphere of :911: racing mardi gras.

I love both.

I've written before about how much I love the Indy GP. Fuzzy is right in that it's much more family-friendly compared to the 500, plus the entire ladder is there so the amount of on-track action is very high.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Frond posted:

Other than the horrible IR cars all of these own. All of them.

I love the fact that "List of times when a Penske car was on pole for the 500, and had a nearly identically painted teammate on the front row with it" is at least four separate events, and probably longer because I didn't go looking much in the IRL / DW12 eras.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The Norton/Gould cars are slept on. They look cool with those 4 spoke wheels.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Couple more race title sponsors were announced this morning:

Firestone will be sponsoring the season finale at Laguna Seca and REV Group is sponsoring the Road America race, replacing Kohler

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Huh, I though Kohler was still sticking around.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

iospace posted:

Huh, I though Kohler was still sticking around.

I did too until a few weeks ago when I saw the race had a generic "Grand Prix of Road America" title, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Kohler deal was for only 3 years and they didn't renew.

So as it stands now, the only races without title sponsors are:
  • CotA
  • Long Beach
  • Iowa
  • Portland
  • IMS Road Course (far less likely to get one)

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Double post but I had to screencap this before it changes

Yes I know it's alphabetical

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

KingShibby posted:

I did too until a few weeks ago when I saw the race had a generic "Grand Prix of Road America" title, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Kohler deal was for only 3 years and they didn't renew.

• CotA
  • Long Beach
  • Iowa
  • Portland

St. Pete, Barber, Detroit, Toronto, Mid-Ohio, and Laguna Seca are all sponsored by series partners, which I would argue belong on that list, too. Maybe you can give each of them one race, and if you squint real hard Honda USA (MidO) and Honda Canada (Tornoto) are separate entities. But I just wonder what that would look like in NASCAR if 30% or whatever of the races were sponsored by the same brands you see at every race anyway.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Some delightful noises from testing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN8mm1KopUY

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

Some delightful noises from testing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN8mm1KopUY

:shlick:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

KingShibby posted:

• CotA
  • Long Beach
  • Iowa
  • Portland

Hrm, I wonder what it'd take for Portland to pick up a local sponsor. Like, Intel or Columbia Sportswear would be a blue chip for sure, but any of these would be a good get:
https://www.ranker.com/list/companies-headquartered-in-oregon/the-working-man

I'm hoping for a Dave's Killer Bread Portland GP, personally :getin:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Hrm, I wonder what it'd take for Portland to pick up a local sponsor. Like, Intel or Columbia Sportswear would be a blue chip for sure, but any of these would be a good get:
https://www.ranker.com/list/companies-headquartered-in-oregon/the-working-man

I'm hoping for a Dave's Killer Bread Portland GP, personally :getin:

It was GI Joe’s forever until the guy who owned that company (and promoted the race as well) sold up and retired.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

harperdc posted:

It was GI Joe’s forever until the guy who owned that company (and promoted the race as well) sold up and retired.

I was gonna say that explains the decor around the MAX line where it passes by the track (there are large, mirror-finished balls trailing red-orange-yellow flames behind them all along the light rail bridge railing), but it's actually a regional sporting goods chain, not 80S ACTION CARTOONZ. Seems the sporting goods chain sold out to a private equity firm and was shuttered 2 years later, in 2009.

Wikipedia posted:

PIR is built on the former location of Vanport, Oregon, which was destroyed on Memorial Day, May 30, 1948, when a railroad berm broke and water from the Columbia River flooded the city. After the flood, all that remained were the paved streets and concrete foundations of destroyed buildings.

The first races took place on these old city streets in 1961 during the Portland Rose Festival. Since then, the Rose Cup has become an annual event. Racing at "West Delta Park", as PIR was known back then, was quite dangerous. Racers leaving the track unexpectedly could collide with leftover concrete foundations or fall into ponds.

:black101: Incidentally, Vanport was the black quarter, and there's a lot of sketchy poo poo that happened there. I'm not surprised there was also a death trap of a race venue up there in the aftermath of the floods.

There's also some cool history and photos here for those of us who are PIR noobs:
http://www.supercarsunlimited.com/pirbrackets/history/history.htm

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I was gonna say that explains the decor around the MAX line where it passes by the track (there are large, mirror-finished balls trailing red-orange-yellow flames behind them all along the light rail bridge railing), but it's actually a regional sporting goods chain, not 80S ACTION CARTOONZ. Seems the sporting goods chain sold out to a private equity firm and was shuttered 2 years later, in 2009.

I would get on my high horse about “REAL PORTLANDERS REMEMBER ______” but that’s not really worth it. Vanport is a whole other ball of wax too. At least the land remains (mostly) public, including the track itself, and wasn’t sold to private developers (unless the golf course isn’t a public one?).

Penske needs to pull strings tighter and get Freightliner to sponsor the race.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/SPMIndyCar/status/1086309753515458560

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rolling out a car for Wickens is a classy move. Not sure I like the livery (compared to some of the wilder schemes theyve run lately) but pretty great to see a company step up to sponsor two cars like that.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 19, 2019