Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

OK Picardo on the Orville was great, but what would be greater is a Mulgrew episode where she plays some kind of insane captain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

"Star Trek: Discovery is too grimdark"

"Hold my beer" says Star Trek: Fundamentalist Terrorists Led by Genocidal Duplicate Yeoh

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

lmfao

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
"As told to"

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

EimiYoshikawa posted:

The whole point of Section 31, which pretty much everyone but the original DS9 writers who came up with it have missed, is that there was nobody from the Federation behind it. It was a completely 100% unsanctioned terrorist group that had deluded themselves into thinking they were the hard men the Federation clearly needed to do hard things to protect Paradise.

Honestly, that's what kind of irks me about Ross looking the other way/tacitly supporting their actions on Romulus. Not only because it was almost a complete 180 from his characterization up to that point, but because it was the first time a Federation official was at all implied to be working with them in any way, which then grew with the last plot line involving them RE: the Founder disease and Starfleet Medical.

But anyway, seriously, the whole thing about Section 31 is that they're supposed to be a bunch of completely unsanctioned terrorists that have no connection to or support from whatsoever to the Federation, and trying to pawn them off as being 'the Federation's CIA' is just...wrong.

The problem is that Ira Steven Behr created it as the group that ensures the Federation remains a paradise by completely rejecting it's core ideology. They aren't just an unsanctioned extremist group trying to "protect" the Federation. They are an intrinsic part of it. It's basically like DC's Identity Crisis for Star Trek. All the fun times of yesterday were made possible through atrocities we reveal today.

Ira Steven Behr was a net positive for DS9, but creating Section 31 was definitely one of the negative things he did.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Except the point DS9 makes is that while Section 31 believes they're the reason the Federation survives, they're wrong.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Q_res posted:

Except the point DS9 makes is that while Section 31 believes they're the reason the Federation survives, they're wrong.

Yeah, but that's not how the suits upstairs took it.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

That's not what you said...

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Q_res posted:

That's not what you said...

Yeah, and I stand by what I said because

Ira Steven Behr posted:

"Why is Earth a paradise in the twenty-fourth century? Well, maybe it's because there's someone watching over it and doing the nasty stuff that no one wants to think about. Of course it's a very complicated issue. Extremely complicated. And those kinds of covert operations usually are wrong! We need to dig deeper and find out what, indeed, life is like in the twenty-fourth century. Is it this paradise, or are there, as Harold Pinter said, 'Weasels under the coffee table.'"

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Bogus Adventure posted:

The problem is that Ira Steven Behr created it as the group that ensures the Federation remains a paradise by completely rejecting it's core ideology. They aren't just an unsanctioned extremist group trying to "protect" the Federation. They are an intrinsic part of it. It's basically like DC's Identity Crisis for Star Trek. All the fun times of yesterday were made possible through atrocities we reveal today.

Ira Steven Behr was a net positive for DS9, but creating Section 31 was definitely one of the negative things he did.

What? No, they aren't, and weren't.

They were a bunch of deluded assholes that convinced themselves that they were, and you're buying into their bullshit (as have the other lovely writers that have used them since then).

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

That's a cute quote, but you do realize that Section 31 is never portrayed as anything but wrong in DS9? The payoff for the whole S31 plotline being that they were wrong to think the Federation could only survive through genocide and they were defeated by our heroes. This isn't terribly hard to grasp.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

counterpoint: people are morons

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Bogus Adventure posted:

Yeah, and I stand by what I said because

The way I read that is that he's not providing an answer there but asking a question.

If you watch DS9 S31 does arguably do stuff that let's the Federation benefit. The two major ones are

a) The overly elaborate plan to elevate their operative who is head of the tâl shiar to the executive committee (please ignore the fact that the head of the tâl shiar is a federation operative because its dumb)

And

b) The genetic disease infecting the founders is the only reason Odo is able to get the Dominion to surrender instead of fighting to the last man in the Alpha Quadrant and biding their time to find a way to get through the wormhole safely to start again.

The (main) characters in the show make clear S31 is a rogue organisation that the Federation should stop, regardless of whatever political advantages they get from their actions. Characters like Ross are there to basically say "Hey I don't like it but desperate times and this will save more lives in the long run".

Bear in mind Sisko himself plays this same role when he and Garak are involved in the murder of a Romulan senator and a criminal in order to brin Romulus into the war. It was a very S31 style plot.

I actually think how it's put forward in DS9 is fine, there is someone on screen who basically espouses the type of views we, the less evolved viewers, may think, and then the main characters show how you should respond to those types of arguments.

The problem isn't inherently with the idea of struggling with those issues, the problem is if they are the focus of the show they are almost inevitably going to be shown in a far more positive light, and I can't imagine how you can always have someone else there the audience connects with to say how bad and wrong they are.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The whole plot of Into Darkness was Starfleet's shady business backfiring horrifically and all.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole plot of Into Darkness was Starfleet's shady business backfiring horrifically and all.

The more I watch that movie the less sense it makes on every level. It's too bad because its spaceship action and sound design are on point when the rest is so bad.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

lmao that janeway's out in the delta quadrant trying to uphold federation ideals while back home sisko's gassing planets and engineering pretense for war

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

trying to uphold federation values my arse
janeway's out there building her own borg harem and ruling the quadrant with an iron fist

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Miss posted:

trying to uphold federation values my arse
janeway's out there building her own borg harem and ruling the quadrant with an iron fist

This is the story of the Warship Voyager...

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Kitchner posted:

This is the story of the Warship Voyager...

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Kitchner posted:

The problem isn't inherently with the idea of struggling with those issues, the problem is if they are the focus of the show they are almost inevitably going to be shown in a far more positive light, and I can't imagine how you can always have someone else there the audience connects with to say how bad and wrong they are.
again, part of the problem with disco was that they went full grimdark and every episode revolved around 'desperate times call for desperate measures' kind of ethically dark actions, with no consideration of morals aside from the gay doctor getting fridged and everyone else clenching their jaws while grimly explaining the grim plot they are grimly going to be forced to do

there is no way they are going to make space for any discussion of morality or consequence. they are going to be portrayed as the heroes doing what needs to be done at any cost and it sucks and at this point should we really be surprised that the new shows are making GBS threads all over established premises

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Honestly Voyager would have been so much better if episode 1 of season 2 was the year of hell episode, everyone died, and then the second episode was set in the mirror universe and this was Janeway permenantly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kitchner posted:

Honestly Voyager would have been so much better if episode 1 of season 2 was the year of hell episode, everyone died, and then the second episode was set in the mirror universe and this was Janeway permanently.

Year of Hell was originally meant to be a literal Year of Hell. But, well, Rick Berman.

Applewhite posted:

The more I watch that movie the less sense it makes on every level. It's too bad because its spaceship action and sound design are on point when the rest is so bad.

You can kill the tension of the entire finale with a simple question; Why do they need Khan's blood when they've got 71 other genetically-enhanced super-soldiers on ice in the next room?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Year of Hell was originally meant to be a literal Year of Hell. But, well, Rick Berman.

Yeah but could you imagine how godawful the ending would of been after watching it for an entire season?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can kill the tension of the entire finale with a simple question; Why do they need Khan's blood when they've got 71 other genetically-enhanced super-soldiers on ice in the next room?

Yeah I caught that the first time around. I’m also not 100% on how the torpedoes were supposed to launch with people in the fuel tanks. Were they supposed to blow up without being fired and destroy the Enterprise? And if that was the case, how would one of our own ships self-destructing provoke the Klingons into war??

Also, when you take away the dramatic music and slow zoom, Khan’s introduction makes no sense to anyone on screen. “My name... is KHAAAAN!”

Audience who are already familiar with the character: ooooooh!

Everyone else: “so? Why are you talking so weird?”

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Applewhite posted:

Yeah I caught that the first time around. I’m also not 100% on how the torpedoes were supposed to launch with people in the fuel tanks. Were they supposed to blow up without being fired and destroy the Enterprise? And if that was the case, how would one of our own ships self-destructing provoke the Klingons into war??

Also, when you take away the dramatic music and slow zoom, Khan’s introduction makes no sense to anyone on screen. “My name... is KHAAAAN!”

To be fair this is how I introduce myself in telephone conferences.

*Bing*

KIIITCHNEEER!

*has joined the conference*

Hi everyone, how was your weekend?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Applewhite posted:

Nah, that was just a gently caress-you to Khan specifically. Gets rid of any evidence they existed (along with Khan from blowing him up on the planet) AND provokes the Klingons into war as a win-win for Section 31.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, that was just a gently caress-you to Khan specifically. Gets rid of any evidence they existed (along with Khan from blowing him up on the planet) AND provokes the Klingons into war as a win-win for Section 31.

Yeah but his point is that you have a torpedo tube, and presumably that torpedo tube is full of fuel and explosive material right? They don't just have empty cavities for no reason.

So if you have put a human (plus cryogenic equipment) into the torpedo case, you must have taken something out of the torpedo case.

It can't be they are simply bigger torpedoes because the Enterprise can fire them using its standard torpedo launch bay, so they must be the standard size.

It could be they have taken out some of the fuel needed for the torpedo needs to steer itself, but Kirk is told these are super long range torpedoes. Like really long range. Ignoring for a fact that normal physics actually means you can fire literally anything an unlimited range in space as if you give it enough force it will get there eventually, it seems unlikely a fire and forget torpedo that you can fire from lightyears away needs less fuel, surely it needs more?

So you're left with the explosives in the torpedo itself. Sure you could keep the fuel and take out the bit that makes the explosion, but who is going to start a war because the Federation fired 12 non exploding torpedoes that were full of dead bodies at the Klingon homeworld?

Now obviously even an empty shell hurtling towards the earth from space is going to do some damage, but if I recall correctly they are aiming at an abandoned city. So the Klingon will detect some stuff in their atmosphere, go an investigate, and find what? Traces of federation torpedo shells, genetically enhanced human entrails, and minimal damage to an abandoned part of the planet? But no signs of explosives?

The whole thing is really dumb.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think it's supposed to go with the theme the movie has going of humans being literally weaponised (see the bit where Kirk and Khan are literally fired out of torpedo tubes) but is just handled ridiculously.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I am making a Star Trek TAS inspired cartoon with a friend for a film festival. We're almost done and waiting on a preliminary acceptance, but I'd love for goons to see the fruits of our labours thus far...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvXyPfnlqnw

Yes, the captain is named Shatz. Xark has a thing on his head that I haven't given a name to yet (although I keep calling it his dinglebop in my brain). Filmation style was incredibly easy to manage for two people, but we're trying to smooth it out and make it just a bit better for the final piece

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

The Golden Gael posted:

(although I keep calling it his dinglebop in my brain).

Did you ever watch that Powerpuff girl pilot " Meat Fuzzy Lumpkins"? Might have gotten it from there

Imean, Im not saying they invented the word, but that's where I got the word from so I unno :shobon:
Or maybe I am mis remembering,it's been ...many years since.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 16, 2019

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

They take the dinglebop and push it through the krumbo, where the fleeb is rubbed against it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And then you start using the plumbus.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I'm now wanting a star trek / rick and morty Cross over where they go to the original star trek and then travel to the jj abrams dimension

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Kitchner posted:

Yeah but his point is that you have a torpedo tube, and presumably that torpedo tube is full of fuel and explosive material right? They don't just have empty cavities for no reason.

So if you have put a human (plus cryogenic equipment) into the torpedo case, you must have taken something out of the torpedo case.

It can't be they are simply bigger torpedoes because the Enterprise can fire them using its standard torpedo launch bay, so they must be the standard size.

It could be they have taken out some of the fuel needed for the torpedo needs to steer itself, but Kirk is told these are super long range torpedoes. Like really long range. Ignoring for a fact that normal physics actually means you can fire literally anything an unlimited range in space as if you give it enough force it will get there eventually, it seems unlikely a fire and forget torpedo that you can fire from lightyears away needs less fuel, surely it needs more?

So you're left with the explosives in the torpedo itself. Sure you could keep the fuel and take out the bit that makes the explosion, but who is going to start a war because the Federation fired 12 non exploding torpedoes that were full of dead bodies at the Klingon homeworld?

Now obviously even an empty shell hurtling towards the earth from space is going to do some damage, but if I recall correctly they are aiming at an abandoned city. So the Klingon will detect some stuff in their atmosphere, go an investigate, and find what? Traces of federation torpedo shells, genetically enhanced human entrails, and minimal damage to an abandoned part of the planet? But no signs of explosives?

The whole thing is really dumb.

Augments are explosive.

I haven't watched that movie since it came out but I assumed that they were the same type of torpedoes they used for funerals like Spock's and that they don't contain any fuel or guidance systems or whatever.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I think it's funny that before Into a Darkness came out, every other fan pitch for a new series in SA Star Trek threads revolved around Section 31.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Kitchner posted:

I'm now wanting a star trek / rick and morty Cross over where they go to the original star trek and then travel to the jj abrams dimension

Oh jeez Rick I can't see uh my my eyes are

Urp uh yeah urp this is the jj dimension Morty it's uuurp it's mostly lens flares

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

it would be gay jokes right up until they go to the jjverse and the it would be meta jokes about how rick can not believe he misses the other guys

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Applewhite posted:

My name is....HITLER!

" Who?" "What?"

Nice mustache, dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I think it's funny that before Into a Darkness came out, every other fan pitch for a new series in SA Star Trek threads revolved around Section 31.

lol, why am I not surprised