Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

sigma 6 posted:

Did you guys know about this?
https://polycount.com/discussion/206842/polyretopo-the-secret-maya-node

Maya has a zremesher / autoretopo node apparently. Works very well with booleans. Guessing it will be full fledged tool vs. a hidden node soon.

if this existed for 3ds max i would cream my pants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

BonoMan posted:

I saw it in last week's Lester banks Roundup. Precisely 24 hours after I really could have used it. Still really useful though. Especially for those of us often going from Maya to After Effects (element 3D)

Why is it so useful going to element 3d? A lot of VJs are using element but I don't understand why. Also - good topology is absolutely essential for animation but if you are creating an inanimate object, then why does it matter if you have a bunch of n-gons? I mean - I see hard surface modeling with ngons all the time and part of me winces at that but why should it matter if that chair, rock, table ... whatever, which doesn't actually deform? Yes - n-gons are almost always bad but I see them more and more in hard surface modeling.

On a related topic:

What are your favorite INTRO to 3d assignments? I have to develop curriculum and am having some trouble coming up with novel ways to get a newbie excited about 3d without overwhelming them. I have a lot of students who are intimidated by 3d or just refuse to get out of their comfort zone of drawing and painting.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sigma 6 posted:

Why is it so useful going to element 3d? A lot of VJs are using element but I don't understand why. Also - good topology is absolutely essential for animation but if you are creating an inanimate object, then why does it matter if you have a bunch of n-gons? I mean - I see hard surface modeling with ngons all the time and part of me winces at that but why should it matter if that chair, rock, table ... whatever, which doesn't actually deform? Yes - n-gons are almost always bad but I see them more and more in hard surface modeling.

On a related topic:

What are your favorite INTRO to 3d assignments? I have to develop curriculum and am having some trouble coming up with novel ways to get a newbie excited about 3d without overwhelming them. I have a lot of students who are intimidated by 3d or just refuse to get out of their comfort zone of drawing and painting.

I don't care about NGons per say, but with booleaning things can create visibly jagged edges that are more easily cleaned up with the retopo.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 14, 2019

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Anyone have any input on intro 3d assignments? Any particularly memorable ones?

Also... gently caress Adobe.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I agree 110% with this sentiment, and have for at least 10 years

I’ve been using Pixelmator on Mac and Procreate on iPad. It is possible to live without photoshop.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Gimp and Inkscape sucks big time. Adobe, love them or hate them, pretty much invented the language and interface for graphic design apps and both Gimp/Inkscape seemingly go out of their way of doing things differently....and it's just not good.

I've railed at the cost several time and tried to get used to them (and still have to use it work from time to as we use Linux), but I just can't. Sure, for simple 5 minute tasks (which end up taking 3 times as long before of the above), but for anything more complicated, no chance.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've been trying to use gimp over the last year or so for times when I would use PS for texture creation and just get frustrated.
I understand this may be because my brain and fingers are so used to PS, but It's also really slow working with large images, which is less excusable

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats a huge loving subscription jump and it pushes adobe cc over into 'nope' territory. Guess I'm going to have to invest in learning alternatives.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Davinci Resolve has Fusion built into it now, sounds like it can functionally replace Premiere and After Effects in one package

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Fusion rules, these days it pretty much has the functionality of Nuke (missing some of the things you never really use).
Our studio's been running on it for a few years and we've actually gotten some Nuke compositors to learn it and use it in production without complaining, which is nothing short of a miracle

Can't really replace AE for motion graphics stuff though

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

EoinCannon posted:

Fusion rules, these days it pretty much has the functionality of Nuke (missing some of the things you never really use).
Our studio's been running on it for a few years and we've actually gotten some Nuke compositors to learn it and use it in production without complaining, which is nothing short of a miracle

Can't really replace AE for motion graphics stuff though

This is the bind I'm in. I'm itching to use/learn Fusion (and I have a full copy of the latest Resolve Studio with it) but my world perfectly straddles the line of motion graphics and also a lot of VFX/compositing.

So a.) I can't really abandon AE yet and b.) my workload means I've not time to learn Fusion. Blarg.

I've watched a couple of tutorials on mograph stuff in Fusion and that was a big ole pile of nope (I realize that's not what it's for).

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Gimp and Inkscape sucks big time. Adobe, love them or hate them, pretty much invented the language and interface for graphic design apps and both Gimp/Inkscape seemingly go out of their way of doing things differently....and it's just not good.

They really do. Gimp at least has powerful capabilities, despite it having an interface designed by lizards and a startup time that feels eternal, but Inkscape is just straight up weak, which makes me really sad because I want a good SVG editor that isn't by Adobe.

If you're not doing pro-level image edit work and just need an image tool for random tasks (this is me) then Paint.net is a viable alternative. It's not as powerful as GIMP or PS but it's fast and has tools for most quick things you'll need. But it's only on Windows, which is.... a big limitation.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I've railed at the cost several time and tried to get used to them (and still have to use it work from time to as we use Linux), but I just can't. Sure, for simple 5 minute tasks (which end up taking 3 times as long before of the above), but for anything more complicated, no chance.

This... sadly means nothing to them. A company cares about your opinion of them only so much as it effects their bottom line. They don't care at all if you're mad at them, if you're still paying the price then it's in the interest of their bottom line to keep raising it. Most of the larger open-source projects have a foundation behind them, and they're always looking for donations to keep things going forward! Of course we can't all be giving money away, but if you have a few bucks to spare and are feeling the squeeze from Adobe, pass some on to an OSS project working on something you want. :)

I'm really glad we have Blender for the 3D world, I only wish there were projects of that caliber for other creative tasks. But that's wishful thinking, Blender is basically the poster child for an exceptional open source project, and you can't expect exceptions all the time.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Gimp takes two seconds to start on my machine, same as Blender. I've been doing some work in it the last couple of days and I must say it works pretty well.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

As mentioned above, I was also impressed by how close Fusion is to Nuke and for free! However, it doesn't touch AE for ease of use and a lot of other things.

Has anybody used this? Another free piece of software and very good so far.

Interesting way to make mood boards without using photoshop. Much faster IMO.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sigma 6 posted:

Has anybody used this? Another free piece of software and very good so far.

Interesting way to make mood boards without using photoshop. Much faster IMO.

PureRef is awesome.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

EoinCannon posted:

PureRef is awesome.

Yeah - I thought it would be like irfanview but it might actually be better. Some of the built in keystrokes seem broken but at least I can remap them.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

For anyone looking for a solid replacement for Photoshop, I can highly recommend Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer. https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/desktop/

They run $50 each, one-time only cost, though you can usually find them on discount a few times a year.

They have a bit of a learning curve, but I've been able to do everything in them that I would in Photoshop, in addition to some other really nice features that Photoshop doesn't have. Also, they can open PSDs! Additionally, Affinity Photo has amazing support for panorama painting and EXRs for anyone that has to wrangle with IBLs. Highly recommend both Affinity Photo and Designer.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I was going to suggest affinity once I started reading those 14 new posts. Not sure why that guy went out of his way to reccomend free Photoshop alternatives that aren't as good instead of a one time $50 which is functionally identical and improves upon some issues.

Every one man band / small studio should be using affinity instead of PS/illustrator, it's legit professional level software.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 15, 2019

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it can even do focus stacking, which I assumed you'd need to be a luxury developer with full-time R&D staff to come up with

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Oh nice thanks for the Affinity stuff, didn't even know that existed! And they do brush packs and other things (for purchase which I'm totally cool with) so that's sweet too.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Well poo poo you guys, just got nominated for a VES award! Studio submitted my name without my knowledge, lol, so I woke up today to a bunch of messages congratulating me and I had no idea wtf.

Our studio got 3 nominations total (two for one show, one for the other). I'm only on one nom, but it's my first nomination and first awards ceremony so it's wild regardless. The show was nominated in 2017 for a season I worked on, but I was still pretty green so my name didn't go up.

Was a bit nervous at first since I don't have the requisite VES experience (I'm only a little over 3 years in the industry, my god), but I guess I can be nominated without it - just needs to be nominated by a VES member supe iirc.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Slothful Bong posted:

Well poo poo you guys, just got nominated for a VES award! Studio submitted my name without my knowledge, lol, so I woke up today to a bunch of messages congratulating me and I had no idea wtf.

Our studio got 3 nominations total (two for one show, one for the other). I'm only on one nom, but it's my first nomination and first awards ceremony so it's wild regardless. The show was nominated in 2017 for a season I worked on, but I was still pretty green so my name didn't go up.

Was a bit nervous at first since I don't have the requisite VES experience (I'm only a little over 3 years in the industry, my god), but I guess I can be nominated without it - just needs to be nominated by a VES member supe iirc.

Great job! What was it for?

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

BonoMan posted:

Great job! What was it for?

Mine is Outstanding Created Environment in an Episode, Commercial, or Real-Time Project, the other two we got were Outstanding Effects Simulations in an Episode, Commercial, or Real-Time Project and Outstanding Compositing in a Photoreal Episode

High Castle, if you haven't guessed!

(Due to the nature of the show and the direction real life is going, I've burned my old accounts - had some uncomfortable encounters with people who took the wrong message, and got worried about real-life impact)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

drat, that’s awesome, congratulations dude :cheers:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Slothful Bong posted:

Mine is Outstanding Created Environment in an Episode, Commercial, or Real-Time Project, the other two we got were Outstanding Effects Simulations in an Episode, Commercial, or Real-Time Project and Outstanding Compositing in a Photoreal Episode

(Due to the nature of the show and the direction real life is going, I've burned my old accounts - had some uncomfortable encounters with people who took the wrong message, and got worried about real-life impact)

Ah ok that makes sense ;) and congrats!

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

cubicle gangster posted:

I was going to suggest affinity once I started reading those 14 new posts. Not sure why that guy went out of his way to reccomend free Photoshop alternatives that aren't as good instead of a one time $50 which is functionally identical and improves upon some issues.

Every one man band / small studio should be using affinity instead of PS/illustrator, it's legit professional level software.

Does it have a clone stamp tool?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Yes. https://vimeo.com/130967587

Also...

Slothful Bong posted:

Congrats! That's a big honor and well deserved!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Gearman posted:

For anyone looking for a solid replacement for Photoshop, I can highly recommend Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer. https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/desktop/

They run $50 each, one-time only cost, though you can usually find them on discount a few times a year.

They have a bit of a learning curve, but I've been able to do everything in them that I would in Photoshop, in addition to some other really nice features that Photoshop doesn't have. Also, they can open PSDs! Additionally, Affinity Photo has amazing support for panorama painting and EXRs for anyone that has to wrangle with IBLs. Highly recommend both Affinity Photo and Designer.

Hey - thanks for this! No idea it existed.

Frankenfinger
May 1, 2007
I need help. I'm laid off and it'll be 2 months on the 19th. Is my poo poo really that bad? I can rework a lot of this stuff (it's all old client work) but at this point I'm torn between doing that or trying to spend a few months learning enough coding to snag an entry level job or spending time doing a bunch of motion graphics work. I just don't want to lose my house. It also doesn't help I'm in Cincinnati so the market for 3d is nil. http://www.tomhutchinsart.com It's ok to tell me to give up.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Frankenfinger posted:

I need help. I'm laid off and it'll be 2 months on the 19th. Is my poo poo really that bad? I can rework a lot of this stuff (it's all old client work) but at this point I'm torn between doing that or trying to spend a few months learning enough coding to snag an entry level job or spending time doing a bunch of motion graphics work. I just don't want to lose my house. It also doesn't help I'm in Cincinnati so the market for 3d is nil. http://www.tomhutchinsart.com It's ok to tell me to give up.

Honestly I think you're fine quality wise. There's some nice stuff in there. I know nothing about what you can find in Cincinnati jobwise. I might take some stuff out (like the apple walk cycle) and rework your about page as it looks pretty barren and doesn't make it look like you've got professional work done. Maybe put your name and what you do on the left like everything else? Since it doesn't look like you're really an illustrator I might get rid of those sections and focus on your strengths that seem to be about product viz.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Frankenfinger, I think your stuff looks fine as well - maybe could use a little more love with lighting, but that's getting nit picky somewhat for the archvis style.

Have you looked at architectural and land surveying firms? I was a land surveyor for six years before VFX, and I got questions all the time if I could do renders of proposed additions or whatever. Stuff that normally would be too expensive/small scale to go to an architectural firm, but that people would love to see ahead of time.

It would probably end up being a stepping stone if you could pull it off, but it would give some additional inroads/networking so you have backups if work falls through.

You may already know this based on your work, but like VFX, architecture is very much an old boys (ingroup) club. Surveying even more so - in my area, the average age of a licensed surveyor is 60 I believe. Young talent is not going into these fields, so they're desperate to pivot but don't know how.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think your work is decent but your portfolio page itself needs improvement. It's not laid out very well and it's pretty stodgy. Consider that your portfolio design also reflects on your skillset as a visual artist, and the viewer will be looking at it for longer than any other piece you show. It's good to have your own site, but it needs to be punched up to look at least as good as one you'd see on Behance or Coroflot or whatever.

Also I think the page of random sketches could be cut out. It's not really professional-level work.

Frankenfinger
May 1, 2007
Thanks for your kindness - advice taken thus far. The whole site redesign needs done I agree but that's a little longer an endeavor. Thanks as well on the ideas on where to look for freelance. I might start pounding pavement on doing freelance if something doesn't happen soon otherwise.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Slothful Bong posted:

maybe could use a little more love with lighting, but that's getting nit picky somewhat for the archvis style.
:nyd:

Honestly i'd recommend reaching out to small architectural offices (sub 10 people) and asking if they need any work or even an in house visualizer. Small, somewhat old fashioned offices will be your best bet. Anything bigger will have an in house cg person already.
The burger king work is your best, the china bank stuff is weaker. maybe group your work on one page, use bigger thumbnails and cull some pieces so it's got a little more focus.

What have you been doing for the last 2 months while out of work?
I dont want to be harsh, but this looks like it took less than half a day - "http://www.tomhutchinsart.com/Renders/CCB_Building_Future_Exterior.jpg"
Do you have any personal work you've spent 3-5 days refining and working up, following tutorials for elements like the glass, sidewalk, lighting etc?

I do think you'll be able to get work with this portfolio, but it'll be a lot harder than it was 5 years ago and significantly more difficult in 5 more years. Lumion is an idiot proof, near real time renderer with pre-packaged assets and one click exports from all major architectural software. If you're selling yourself as an offline/manual visualizer(for lack of a better term), you need to be able to do better than one of their architects can do in lumion after a day of training.

One longer term avenue is that you could learn lumion, transfer some of your old projects to it, and go pitch yourself to those small-medium architects offices as their new lumion guy to oust their in house visualiser. Might take a while though - it could be better to focus on getting a job sooner, then devote the following 6 months to spending a lot of time learning it so you can move on again in a year to something that pays better.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 16, 2019

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Frankenfinger posted:

Thanks for your kindness - advice taken thus far. The whole site redesign needs done I agree but that's a little longer an endeavor. Thanks as well on the ideas on where to look for freelance. I might start pounding pavement on doing freelance if something doesn't happen soon otherwise.

Your site is bad and I would recommend embracing one of the turn-key solutions to jump start a new one. Artstation or what not. I was always, always someone who liked to make his own portfolio sites and I finally took a step back and realized that the work is what matters and no one cares if it's on a 100% custom site or not. I know a lot of ADs and HR types who PREFER artstation profiles since they're fairly uniform and unobtrusive and always work.

Don't burn 100 hours redesigning a bespoke site when you can spend 2 hours setting up an artstation and spend the remaining 98 hours on better art to put in it.

Edit: I would also get rid of the bottom ~75% of your pieces and then dive right into new work. You have a LOT of work on here and it can't all be equally good. Find the best of the best stuff and drop the rest.

mutata fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 16, 2019

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Yeah I missed that - dont waste time designing a website. you're not looking for a web designer position and unless you're 18 years old being hired as a jack of all at a tiny office, they wont care.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Thirding that. When I realized I needed a portfolio, I was about to do it by hand since that's what I knew, but I gave ArtStation a shot and it's been great!

There's also Adobe Portfolio for a slightly different look, and it's free if you have creative cloud (maybe just the full package? Not sure).

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've definitely cut down my usage of Adobe products by a massive margin using Substance Designer/Painter.

Frankenfinger
May 1, 2007

cubicle gangster posted:

What have you been doing for the last 2 months while out of work?
I dont want to be harsh, but this looks like it took less than half a day - "http://www.tomhutchinsart.com/Renders/CCB_Building_Future_Exterior.jpg"
Do you have any personal work you've spent 3-5 days refining and working up, following tutorials for elements like the glass, sidewalk, lighting etc?

E/N TLDR: Sulked for a week (previous job was toxic and fell apart due to bad management literally but it still sucks to lose work) spent a week doing holiday stuff - spent the other five weeks going through the freecodeacademy curriculum debating whether I want to switch career paths. Those CCB renders were made like that due to a design director's insistence that the renders resemble his hand sketches more. But if they're not reading "sketch" but rather "poo poo" out they go. Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll start dividing my time next week between working up some improved renders from this old stuff and coding. If it's not a lost cause maybe I should dive back into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
If you would like, take one of your old scenes that you think has some potential and post it up as you work on it. Put aside a couple of hours each day to focus on one element and do a bit of a client free deep dive into all it's facets. I'd be happy to offer what I can to help.

I would suggest focusing exclusively on one scene first, be methodical and slow, then once you're happy take on a second so you can see how much quicker you can do it once you have a plan.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 17, 2019