Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

Impeach the motherfucker(s).

Reminder on the 18th I'm livestreaming the protest to nationalize the GM plant! Rashida Tlaib will be there and I'll ask her some questions if you post them
in the DSP thread and I hear there will be a dance troupe and a lot of fun things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Starsfan posted:

So to end this whole debacle the Senate Republicans just have to go ahead and replace Cocaine Mitch?
It's only going to get worse and worse for the average republican as things go on, why don't they just end it now?

Because they're all seemingly owned or willing collaborators with the same shits that Trump is. He's a reflection of the whole party and they are happy with destroying the country here and now like a bunch of petty white bitches.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Starsfan posted:

... why don't they just end it now?

They're used to the dems folding and taking the blame for not governing responsibly. They don't understand they are already finished on this issue and there is no where for them to go but to admit defeat.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

https://twitter.com/Scout_Finch/status/887791141839568896?s=19

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Koalas March posted:

Reminder on the 18th I'm livestreaming the protest to nationalize the GM plant! Rashida Tlaib will be there and I'll ask her some questions if you post them
in the DSP thread and I hear there will be a dance troupe and a lot of fun things.

That is awesome! Your youtube videos are great.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Koalas March posted:

Which plant is it, one of the ones proposed to be shut down this year, or..?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

LOL this is beyond pathetic. Please pay attention to me so I can heap praise upon you.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

god what a shitbird

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

"you and me, lets go jerk off"?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1085608500510818304?s=21

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Sorry to be a late comer to the party but from what I'm reading on a possibly sketchy discord, the shutdown has already gone on long enough that the IRS is saying there will be delays in refunds?

For me that's just a delay in how long it takes me to earn 0.05% interest or whatever on that money, but given how many people count on it to eat, aren't we looking at a potentially serious kind of unrest? I'm trying not to catastrophize, and in fact, major civil unrest wouldn't impact my daily very much, but the idea concerns me. A lot.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

KillHour posted:

This isn't exactly true. Trump is a mob boss president and his base is his enforcers. Republicans that don't kiss the ring are going to be primaried so fast their heads will spin.

Effectively, same thing regardless.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

His personal shield seems to belie his invite for either a vigorous shake-weight session or perhaps some other activity with similar movement...

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

RE: The fairly constant discussion of race and race issues in this thread, an op from the Guardian and the American University's Antiracist Research and Policy Center about how it isn't enough to be a 'nice' white person and assume that prevents racism.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/16/racial-inequality-niceness-white-people

Worth a read, especially if you're an educator.

quote:

While the thin veneer of a post-racial society that descended during the Obama years has been ripped away by our current political reality, most white people continue to conceptualize racism as isolated and individual acts of intentional meanness. This definition is convenient and comforting, in that it exempts so many white people from the system of white supremacy we live in and are shaped by. It is at the root of the most common kind of white defensiveness. If racists are intentionally and openly mean, then it follows that nice people cannot be racist. How often will a white person accused of racism gather as evidence to the contrary friends and colleagues to testify to their niceness; the charge cannot be true, the friend cannot be racist, because “he’s a really nice guy” or “she volunteers on the board of a non-profit serving under-privileged youth”. Not meaning to be racist also allows for absolution. If they didn’t mean it, it cannot and should not count.

Thus, it becomes essential for white people to quickly and eagerly telegraph their niceness to people of color. Niceness in these instances is conveyed through tone of voice (light), eye contact accompanied by smiling and the conjuring of affinities (shared enjoyment of a music genre, compliments on hair or style, statements about having traveled to the country the “other” is perceived to have come from or knowing people from the other’s community). Kindness is compassionate and often implicates actions to support or intervene. For example, I am having car trouble and you stop and see if you can help. I appear upset after a work meeting and you check in and listen with the intent of supporting me. Niceness, by contrast, is fleeting, hollow and performative.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Riptor posted:

This is obv what it looks like but if we could sidestep the obvious "Trump is gay for Putin" takes and let Twitter run with them it would be cool.

Not calling you out just trying to nip this poo poo in the bud.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

VH4Ever posted:

Which plant is it, one of the ones proposed to be shut down this year, or..?

Yeah

https://twitter.com/detroitdsa/status/1085243643177435137?s=19

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Sorry to be a late comer to the party but from what I'm reading on a possibly sketchy discord, the shutdown has already gone on long enough that the IRS is saying there will be delays in refunds?

For me that's just a delay in how long it takes me to earn 0.05% interest or whatever on that money, but given how many people count on it to eat, aren't we looking at a potentially serious kind of unrest? I'm trying not to catastrophize, and in fact, major civil unrest wouldn't impact my daily very much, but the idea concerns me. A lot.

The official word is that people will get refunds, but the IRS only recalled about 60% of its workforce (and they're completely unpaid) so if there are no delays in getting tax refunds (especially given the changes to the code) I will eat my loving hat.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Things are going to get more and more unruly as we go from here, yeah.

Mod edit: called for goonrushing some rando on Facebook.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 16, 2019

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Oh wow that's awesome, good luck with it all!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Critical posted:

This is obv what it looks like but if we could sidestep the obvious "Trump is gay for Putin" takes and let Twitter run with them it would be cool.

Not calling you out just trying to nip this poo poo in the bud.

I'm normally right there with you, but it's exponentially harder when Trump is literally pointing at Putin, himself, and then doing a pumping motion at head level. That's some sitcom level "this isn't what it looks like" poo poo right there.

The simulation authors are on lunch break, is really the crux of the argument there.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Majorian posted:

There was one tournament I went to at Claremont McKenna, a noted breeding ground for horrific right-libertarian monstrosities, and some of the positions that got assigned were outright racist. gently caress debate; it should be banned, along with most frats.

That is almost word-for-word what one of them said to me afterwards. I've rarely been so proud.

Was that the kind of "debate" where the competitors also speak with that nearly incomprehensible rapid-fire delivery? I still don't understand why at that point they just don't do it all in writing.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Apologies if this is a repost, but I've dug through dozens of pages without finding it, so here goes nothing:

(it deserves to be seen again, in any case!)

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Pylons posted:

The official word is that people will get refunds, but the IRS only recalled about 60% of its workforce (and they're completely unpaid) so if there are no delays in getting tax refunds (especially given the changes to the code) I will eat my loving hat.

I got my tax stuff yesterday and filed that poo poo immediately. H&R block stated my refund would be exactly the same as last year which makes me really nervous. Do we still not know how much people should be getting back? Am I going to wake up one day and suddenly owe 500 bucks or something?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Interesting, I may check it out. Funny because Detroit-based auto execs are the only ones at that show, evidently it's a shell of itself this year with a lot of non-US makes skipping it altogether.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Apologies if this is a repost, but I've dug through dozens of pages without finding it, so here goes nothing:

(it deserves to be seen again, in any case!)

Hands are too big.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

I don't know anything about the game, so I'm wondering if it would be possible to make a video of that court with just one guy, by himself, loving up 2-pointers over and over again.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Was that the kind of "debate" where the competitors also speak with that nearly incomprehensible rapid-fire delivery? I still don't understand why at that point they just don't do it all in writing.

formal debate is just a way for affluent academic types to jerk off publicly. it has never really been a method for working through a problem or coming to a consensus.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

CascadeBeta posted:

I got my tax stuff yesterday and filed that poo poo immediately. H&R block stated my refund would be exactly the same as last year which makes me really nervous. Do we still not know how much people should be getting back? Am I going to wake up one day and suddenly owe 500 bucks or something?

Honestly, the new tax law makes a lot of that kind of nebulous but if you don't have any dependents (and didn't in 2017) I probably wouldn't worry about owing more.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1085610672837353472?s=19

Think Donnie'll watch it?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

I know victory can make you absent-minded, but time travelers have got to stop leaving their poo poo lying around.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Priapus Unbound posted:

RE: The fairly constant discussion of race and race issues in this thread, an op from the Guardian and the American University's Antiracist Research and Policy Center about how it isn't enough to be a 'nice' white person and assume that prevents racism.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/16/racial-inequality-niceness-white-people

Worth a read, especially if you're an educator.

a week or two back I posted an article about healthcare pregnant african american women receive and it was the most depressing thing

https://twitter.com/neel_shah/status/1079484186979913728
https://twitter.com/neel_shah/status/1079486943312969728
https://twitter.com/neel_shah/status/938934970881593345

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Pylons posted:

Agreed. I would be baffled if the IRS called back didn't take their sweet time doing them and doing as little work as possible.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Riptor posted:

That's what I got out of that too

Uhhhhhh

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/LasagnaGarden/status/1085611046994411520

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

God, I'm probably the target audience for this and I don't think I ever want to watch it. Same thing with the most recent Arrested Development season, the focus on Trump just ruined any enjoyment for me and I had to turn it off.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

VH4Ever posted:

Interesting, I may check it out. Funny because Detroit-based auto execs are the only ones at that show, evidently it's a shell of itself this year with a lot of non-US makes skipping it altogether.

Yeah I'm interested to see how it goes! Any michigoons who are or want to get involved with local politics and the DSA should show up and show out! And obviously feel free to say hi and show me some love!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

God, I'm probably the target audience for this and I don't think I ever want to watch it. Same thing with the most recent Arrested Development season, the focus on Trump just ruined any enjoyment for me and I had to turn it off.

I can't even bring myself to watch the latest season of The Man in the High Castle. I hear "Edelweisse" and get November '16 flashbacks.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This is something that Pinhead makes you watch when you open that box

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Haha did he seriously repeat the joke because no one laughed (in the first tweet)

OAquinas posted:

I can't even bring myself to watch the latest season of The Man in the High Castle. I hear "Edelweisse" and get November '16 flashbacks.

My MAGA-loving boss recommended that show to me, telling me what a "unique concept" it is. I bit my tongue with the obvious response, but mentioned I had played a number of video games with that exact premise so it wasn't really unique.

It could be an amazing show, but... Yeah, I dunno if I can even start it.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Haha did he seriously repeat the joke because no one laughed

"Please clap.":smith: