Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wrestlepig posted:

team America is a weird film, half of it is an alright action movie parody about how american imperialism is bad and the other half is celebs the writers don’t like just saying “I think American imperialism is bad, also I’m a big gay pussy”

The target audience for Team America was a weird squishy middle that doesn't exist any more. There were a lot of people in 2004 or whenever it came out who felt, basically, "OK we really hosed up with the whole Iraq thing but that doesn't mean we should never interfere overseas because there's crazy people like Kim Il-Jong who want nukes and they shouldn't have them".

Right or wrong (lol wrong except for North Korea wanting nukes) it was a feeling that existed back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

One of Miami's mayors in the late 90s was caught trying to rig the election Sideshow Bob style having dead people cast ballots for him. After he lost the recount he was elected a few years later and also became a county commissioner.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

One of Miami's mayors in the late 90s was caught trying to rig the election Sideshow Bob style having dead people cast ballots for him. After he lost the recount he was elected a few years later and also became a county commissioner.

cocaine for all!

*boo*

cocaine for none!

*boo*

ok... cocaine for some, tiny gadsden flags for others!

*yaaaaaaay*

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
paul heyman did a final fantasy summoning dance to try and brutalize his former client

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
it’s been said many times, but everything about the Sword of Chang is amazing

-the nonsense origin of it (GHWB lying to avoid explaining Taipei politics to young jeb and young jeb taking it very literally)
-Jeb! (teacher) gifting it to (student) Rubio and in the process, metaphorically and literally giving him
the means to bypass and ascend past his master
-Jeb!s impotence as a candidate throughout the primary, due to giving away the source of his Mystical Conservative Power
-Rubio giving no fucks about the sword, has it lying in a closet somewhere so his kids don’t disembowel each other

and then Hamberder Hill happened :allears:

for me, it was the funniest loving thing to happen in ages. stacks of fast food sandwiches on silver platters; plastic dipping cups of corn syrupy sauces laid out in fancy tureens; a mountain of side salads with little packets of croutons; “many, many fries”. I died.

for trump, it was Monday.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

the trump campaign stiffing those singing and dancing girls who opened up a rally for him

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Steamed Hams has ascended to the highest halls of power.

Meme magic is real.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Eat This Glob posted:

the trump campaign stiffing those singing and dancing girls who opened up a rally for him

that article about the guy who did like $10k worth of work for him having to sue him after getting stiffed, spending years fighting it in court, and then voting for him anyway

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
deal from strength or get crushed every tiiiime

:negative:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that article about the guy who did like $10k worth of work for him having to sue him after getting stiffed, spending years fighting it in court, and then voting for him anyway

lol I dont recall that. ill have to do some googling

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i thiiiiiiink it was this guy

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
joe the middle class plumber, whose business would be destroyed by obama's reckless tax policy, was actually:

not named joe
not licensed as a plumber
pretty wealthy and only grew wealthier during the obama presidency

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

ScrubLeague posted:

joe the middle class plumber, whose business would be destroyed by obama's reckless tax policy, was actually:

not named joe
not licensed as a plumber
pretty wealthy and only grew wealthier during the obama presidency

ken bone the middle class wholesome sweater normie undecided voter was actually:

a reactionary conservative
a shitposter
a sex creep

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

crazy cloud posted:

ken bone the middle class wholesome sweater normie undecided voter was actually:

a reactionary conservative
a shitposter
a sex creep

donald trump, the reality show guy is:

the president

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
What's the commonly accepted definition of reactionary in American politics? Just "I don't like thing change it back?"

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Volcott posted:

What's the commonly accepted definition of reactionary in American politics? Just "I don't like thing change it back?"

in American politics????? lol it's not even in the lexicon

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah lol reactionaries in America are, uh, about 75% of politicians, it's just the default state so nobody needs a special word for it.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Ah. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm trying to come up with a funny I have suddenly remembered but no luck so far.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

trump talking about the chocolate cake he was eating when he met with xi

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

https://twitter.com/michaelehayden/status/1034453814311563266

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ghostbuster reboot bad

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Volcott posted:

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm trying to come up with a funny I have suddenly remembered but no luck so far.

yeah you gotta remember this is the land where liberal = communist

we learn nothing about politics really at all aside from "how the system ideally functions presented to you as how it really functions"

I took a year of university political science courses hoping to sink my teeth into some ideology and lmao we learned about things like the 'liberty quotient' and how individualism is valued extremely highly only in the UK and US, which is why both nations are so successful

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
reactionary = caring “too much” or not pretending not to care

“hey I think these aggressively anti union anti environment anti social safety net policies are needlessly destructive to basic livelihood and wellbeing”

“pfft, look at this loving REACTIONARY”

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
flip side: oh wow, gay marriage. what’s next, marrying trees?????

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

reactionary = caring “too much” or not pretending not to care

“hey I think these aggressively anti union anti environment anti social safety net policies are needlessly destructive to basic livelihood and wellbeing”

“pfft, look at this loving REACTIONARY”

I have never seen this definition before.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

reactionary = caring “too much”

idk about that, but do i remember being a tween way back in the 90s and asking my dad during his daily dose of limbaugh why "bleeding heart" was an insult

mocking the concept of empathy, to own the libs

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Retromancer posted:

I have never seen this definition before.

The only people I've heard use reactionary are on the left and they exclusively use it to describe people to the right of them.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Azathoth posted:

The only people I've heard use reactionary are on the left and they exclusively use it to describe people to the right of them.

it means supporting the status quo. you can usually see it in d&d whenever there's a big shooting, pointed at calls for gun control

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010
Reactionary comes from the French revolution. They were people who wanted a return to the monarchy.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
A lot of people on this forum use "reactionary" to mean "knee-jerk" or "reactive," aka in a way that bears no relation to the understood meaning of the word in historical literature / political science

It used to aggravate me but then i remembered: posting is inherently stupid

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Giggy posted:

Reactionary comes from the French revolution. They were people who wanted a return to the monarchy.

Estimate the percentage of maga chuds who literally want monarchy

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Peanut Butler posted:

yeah you gotta remember this is the land where liberal = communist

we learn nothing about politics really at all aside from "how the system ideally functions presented to you as how it really functions"

I took a year of university political science courses hoping to sink my teeth into some ideology and lmao we learned about things like the 'liberty quotient' and how individualism is valued extremely highly only in the UK and US, which is why both nations are so successful

My old roommate has a major in poli sci and I feel like I have a better working knowledge and perspective of politics than him, even though I only got that through posting and lurking on a dead comedy forum

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Feldegast42 posted:

My old roommate has a major in poli sci and I feel like I have a better working knowledge and perspective of politics than him, even though I only got that through posting and lurking on a dead comedy forum

my current roommate majored in political science and he freely admits he learned basically nothing from it and his political knowledge mostly comes from chapo and facebook memes

poli sci is a worthless degree, worse than any other

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

THS posted:

poli sci is a worthless degree, worse than any other

I knew a guy who parlayed it into a gig in the PMO but he also had to suck Stephen Harpers cock so it’s a bit of a trade off

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
That guy that got kicked out of the FBI because he thought bin laden was going to attack America, and then died on 9/11

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Feldegast42 posted:

Yeah but he's probably more capable of telling people in power the things they want to hear, which is the practical social function of that education

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

idk about that, but do i remember being a tween way back in the 90s and asking my dad during his daily dose of limbaugh why "bleeding heart" was an insult

mocking the concept of empathy, to own the libs

I think the implication is that the compassion is performative and insincere.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

my roommate’s poli sci education was a focus in post cold war russia and eastern europe and he couldn’t give a coherent explanation of the fall of the soviet union, not even from a liberal perspective, until years later. they didn’t teach him any kind of narrative. i got him hooked on adam curtis

THS
Sep 15, 2017

it’s frankly amazing what you can get away with not teaching and still award people 4 year degrees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
it’s amazing what you can not learn and still be awarded a degree for