Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SilvergunSuperman posted:

press1
/pres/Submit
verb
move or cause to move into a position of contact with something by exerting continuous physical force.
"he pressed his face to the glass"

Nowhere does it say anything about releasing it, guy is spewing bullshit.

Again: it's not about the individual level. It's a way of notating the concept of "in a full game run, this method does not add an A-button press, but you do have to press the A button once if you're only running this single level."

The guy says in his own video that, if you're running just that level alone, you have to press the A button, because you have to both press it down and release it. You're pressing the button. He makes the distinction because, if you're running the full game, you have already pressed the A button from a previous level and have just been holding onto it so you can release it in this level. That's one press, no matter how long you hold the button down.

A "half press" in this case means: "This way of playing this level will not add an A-button press to your full game run because you can leave the button held down from a previous A-button press." It's just a way of notating that concept. If you run that level on its own, it counts as a full press, because you have to press the button and release it; if you run the full game, you don't have to re-press the button. That's all it means.

In other words:
  • In a full-game run, the net gain of A button presses is 0 because you have already pressed the button in a previous level (which counted as a button press). Basically, that button press has already been counted and you don't need to count it again. You're pressing the A button in one level (which is +1 button presses) and releasing it in another (which doesn't add another press).
  • If you run only this level on its own, you will press the A button once, because you can't hold it down or release it without having pressed it first.
Calling that ".5 A button presses" is just a way of communicating that concept and not some sort of redefinition of the word "press."

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Its an extremely simple concept and anyone who argues about it is either completely unwilling to read your explaination, looking to get into an internet fight, or a pendant of the highest order

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You can't have half a press you moron. If you take half away it's called a hotplate.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

Its an extremely simple concept and anyone who argues about it is either completely unwilling to read your explaination, looking to get into an internet fight, or a pendant of the highest order

To be fair, that original video introduces the concept poorly, because he spends so much time breaking down a button press into its three components. It looks like he's trying to redefine a "button press" to score points on a technicality. What he's actually doing is setting up a visual aid for the real explanation, but lots of people in this thread didn't watch past that part apparently.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Harrow posted:

To be fair, that original video introduces the concept poorly, because he spends so much time breaking down a button press into its three components. It looks like he's trying to redefine a "button press" to score points on a technicality. What he's actually doing is setting up a visual aid for the real explanation, but lots of people in this thread didn't watch past that part apparently.

Isn't it almost a twelve-minute video? Less is more.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Isn't it an eleven-minute video? Less is more.

Yeah, but the explanation of what the half-A button press means is the first three minutes or so. After that it's just about how you finish the level that way. I think, unless we're talking about different videos.

It's still poorly presented, though.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

People understand the distinction between holding the button and pressing and releasing it, but calling it a half press is still wrong.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

press1
/pres/Submit
verb
move or cause to move into a position of contact with something by exerting continuous physical force.
"he pressed his face to the glass"

Nowhere does it say anything about releasing it, guy is spewing bullshit.

it's just a bit of shorthand to denote not releasing the button during a level transition, he's not saying that he actually half-pressed a button

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

As I understood it he was trying to do some weird rules lawyering to win a truly stupid challenge.

Otherwise you'd say hold the button like a normal person.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

As I understood it he was trying to do some weird rules lawyering to win a truly stupid challenge.

Nah, if he was doing that he'd call it a straight zero press level, because the only literal press happened prior to entering the level so one could easily argue it's zero for the purpose of the level. What he did is both more intellectually and academically honest and objectively correct.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Otherwise you'd say hold the button like a normal person.

It's not about rules lawyering. It's about discussing a method of running a level that does not add a button press to a full-game run, but would require a button press if you only ran that level.

Like, here are two scenarios. In the first scenario, I'm running through the full game.
  • In level 1, I need to press the A button once towards the end of the level. After I do so, I don't let go--I keep it held down as I run to level 2.
  • In level 2, I keep the button held down to glide to a destination, then release it.
In this scenario, how many times have I pressed the A button? Once, right? I pressed it in level 1 and released it in level 2, but that's still one button press, isn't it? The button press doesn't count twice just because it was a long press. Remember, in this scenario, I'm running the full game--what matters isn't which level I pressed the button in, but how many times I press the button over the course of the entire game.

In the second scenario, I'm only playing level 2. I'm not playing level 1 first.
  • Before I enter level 2, I press the A button.
  • In level 2, I keep the button held down to glide to a destination, then release it.
How many times have I pressed the A button? Again, it's once, but this time, I'm only running the single level, so I only care about how many times I pressed the button in order to complete this level.

I used the same method to play through level 2 in both scenarios. In a full game, level 2 does not add another button press to my run (so my total number of button presses after levels 1 and 2 is still 1 press), but if I'm only running level 2, I do have to press the button. So this is a method of running level 2 that is +0 button presses in a full game and +1 button press if it's just that level. Calling that a "half-press" is as good a term as any.

In the video, he even says that if you're running the level on its own, you have to press the button once--he isn't trying to claim he only pressed it 0.5 times. He's just showing how he did that level in a way that didn't add another button press to a full-game run, even if it did require holding down the button from a previous time he pressed it.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Harrow posted:

Again: it's not about the individual level. It's a way of notating the concept of "in a full game run, this method does not add an A-button press, but you do have to press the A button once if you're only running this single level."

The guy says in his own video that, if you're running just that level alone, you have to press the A button, because you have to both press it down and release it. You're pressing the button. He makes the distinction because, if you're running the full game, you have already pressed the A button from a previous level and have just been holding onto it so you can release it in this level. That's one press, no matter how long you hold the button down.

A "half press" in this case means: "This way of playing this level will not add an A-button press to your full game run because you can leave the button held down from a previous A-button press." It's just a way of notating that concept. If you run that level on its own, it counts as a full press, because you have to press the button and release it; if you run the full game, you don't have to re-press the button. That's all it means.

In other words:
  • In a full-game run, the net gain of A button presses is 0 because you have already pressed the button in a previous level (which counted as a button press). Basically, that button press has already been counted and you don't need to count it again. You're pressing the A button in one level (which is +1 button presses) and releasing it in another (which doesn't add another press).
  • If you run only this level on its own, you will press the A button once, because you can't hold it down or release it without having pressed it first.
Calling that ".5 A button presses" is just a way of communicating that concept and not some sort of redefinition of the word "press."

:lol:

Also this is taking away from the fact that he kited some game AI to make an enemy glitch into flight, then accelerated Mario fast enough to slingshot across four quadrants of collusion detection outside the bounds of the memory registry, then back again to bounce off the enemy and get a star, in order to avoid pressing A one more time.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Sodomy Hussein posted:

VR has great potential but is still very underdeveloped and I would not currently buy in at any level. It's still mostly rhythm and hidden object games.

The best VR game right now is Elite Dangerous.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

poisonpill posted:

Also this is taking away from the fact that he kited some game AI to make an enemy glitch into flight, then accelerated Mario fast enough to slingshot across four quadrants of collusion detection outside the bounds of the memory registry, then back again to bounce off the enemy and get a star, in order to avoid pressing A one more time.

Hey, if you want to run Mario 64 with the absolute minimum number of A-button presses, you gotta do some weird poo poo.

I understand speedrunning a lot more than I understand this kind of run and I'd still never even briefly consider doing either.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Icochet posted:

Can I use this as the opening sentence of my novel?

In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since. It's actually pretty important to distinguish between the A button being PRESSED and the A button being HELD.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Meme Emulator posted:

ACTually the word is "pedant"

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Meme Emulator posted:

This is a pretty bare bones philosphical question considering releasing the A button does nothing, except being a prerequisite for inputting another press.

My man, familiarize yourself with negative-edging.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

poisonpill posted:

Doesn't charging up speed also take a day of time if run at normal game speed. Making the whole ordeal no go on an n64.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Pokemon is and has always been a bad game for babies.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
lots of games are bad for babies tbh

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

Pokemon is and has always been a bad game for babies.

actually gen 1 was a good game for babies

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i remember, as a baby, playing gen 1 and being like, "This game is the best, its so good, gotta catch em all, karate chop em machop you beefy little beast"

if you didn't start on gen 1 on release you don't really actually understand pokemon

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Icochet posted:

Can I use this as the opening sentence of my novel?

Ask the autistic dude. I just copied all the sperg text from his video descriptions. Except for the dumbass nuggetmeals thing. That was mine :colbert:

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
it owns that they made 150 pokemon and were like "u gotta catch em all!!!!!" then 2 years later they come back like loan sharks. "now its 300." 2 years after that "now its 450."

whats it up to now. 9000?????

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i looked at the new pokemon in silver and gold and went "I ain't catching these dumbass new pokemon, they all look like poo poo" and nowdays 15 years later it seems like they're all basically lil mean anime men

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Anything past gold/silver are just bullshit pokemon. I've seen some of the ones from later gens and it's pretty clear they ran out of ideas hard.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

the gen 3 games are the best

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Waltzing Along posted:

30 FPS is fine.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Pokemon games should be set about 1000 years apart and thanks to invasive species due to pokemon trainers letting their critters run free, the original batch went almost extinct and were replaced by new hybrids that rule the countryside.

Your job is to hunt them down and make THEM extinct so that the originals can be reintroduced to the wild. It turns out Ash Ketchem and all his friends were the REAL monsters, after all.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That was never in question, they're all young slavemasters.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Ain't nothing wrong with 30 fps depending on the genre. Some genres like action games, racers and shooters most definitely benefit from a higher frame rate though. A solid 30 fps is still fine and dandy. What gets me more is constant stutter and drops like in bloodborne. That poo poo threw me off and led to a ton of deaths.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Caesar Saladin posted:

if you didn't start on gen 1 on release you don't really actually understand pokemon

Agreed. If you weren't a kid in 1999, you could never hope to understand.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
wheres the digimon vs pokemon crossover game

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

ChazTurbo posted:

Ain't nothing wrong with 30 fps depending on the genre. Some genres like action games, racers and shooters most definitely benefit from a higher frame rate though. A solid 30 fps is still fine and dandy. What gets me more is constant stutter and drops like in bloodborne. That poo poo threw me off and led to a ton of deaths.

I always thought 30 was the benchmark for good enough, but then again I'll still watch a vhs.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Absolutely nothing about Pokemon has ever been remotely appealing to me since its inception. I don't get it at all. Maybe I'm just a couple of years to old to have any nostalgia for it, since I was like 16 when it first released. In my mind it's always just been some random anime poo poo that Nintendo added to their roster that doesn't ft in at all.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It was definitely aimed at the middleschool crowd, not getting Pokemon at 16 is a natural, healthy thing.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

jimmyjams posted:

wheres the digimon vs pokemon crossover game

I think digimon turning into colossal monsters every battle would a bit unfair. Pikachu used tail ship. Agumon turned into a t. Rex.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I was in middle school when pokemon red and blue came out and it was cool because it was a large, well-designed JRPG with some new ideas that made it a good deal more addicting than the classic JRPG. And it had loving multiplayer, it was the only game that I ever saw anyone bother pulling out one of those little link cables. Also the protagonist was like 12 years old but is given the same level of respect as an adult, that's pretty cool when you're a 12 year-old dealing with adults who are constantly being assholes

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Dragonball Z was the Pokemon of my generation, only good and cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I was also in middle school when gen 1 came out and was lucky enough that one of my classmates had the opposite color cartridge, we traded all the required mons to each other to complete our pokedexes and were the coolest kids in that lunch break.

Then gen 2 came out at around the same time I discovered girls were not in fact filled with cooties and that actually maybe I would like to touch one of them. The search continues