Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I guess somebody went around Red Deer last night driving into stores and snatching up all the ATMs

they drove a fair ways into the grocery store just up the road, i didn't even know there was an ATM in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

I guess somebody went around Red Deer last night driving into stores and snatching up all the ATMs

they drove a fair ways into the grocery store just up the road, i didn't even know there was an ATM in there.

You would think with all this gumption and get-it-done attitude, Red Deer would be less of a slovenly shithole filled to the brim with meth-fuelled whining.

It must be the carbon tax's fault.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I bet Notley was driving the get-away truck :argh:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Powershift posted:

Haha jesus. Feel sorry for the store owner that has to do the repair work for becoming an improptu drive-thru

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Not to mention the people who may or may not be employed while they put the front back on. I was fortunate to be able to keep working when that happened at my last job (uninsured f150 driver had a seizure and drove through our front shop wall) but it was up in the air for a few days.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NumbersMatching320 posted:

Not to mention the people who may or may not be employed while they put the front back on. I was fortunate to be able to keep working when that happened at my last job (uninsured f150 driver had a seizure and drove through our front shop wall) but it was up in the air for a few days.

They smashed through the front of the IGA twice trying to steal the same ATM, they ended up having wood boards with a regular door hacked in for like a month while the store stayed open.

https://www.reddeeradvocate.com/news/second-attempted-atm-theft-at-red-deer-iga/

You'd think it would be cheap and easy to put some sort of battery powered GPS tracking in things filled with money and find the people doing it.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Don‘t they have dye packs in the cassettes?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Got a text an hour or so ago from a friend out in the foothills west of Longview. Went from -16 to +4 in less than an hour.

Going to be a windy one again today.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Got a text an hour or so ago from a friend out in the foothills west of Longview. Went from -16 to +4 in less than an hour.

Going to be a windy one again today.

That explains the unprecedented front-to-back sinus headache I've had all day.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They don't seem to GPS track those machines. I found one in the woods few years ago. They stole a pickup in GP, drove to dawson creek, pulled the ATM, brought it back to GP and then cut it apart in the woods. They also left a Honda generator, a bunch of cutting discs, and some powerfist sledge hammers.

The news claimed that they scored over $60,000. Nobody would've known the ATM location had I not called it in.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You know, gently caress whoever got here and saw their first winter here and was like "yup, this is a good place for a whole bunch of people to live."

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

The first one was probably all chinook, it wasn't until everyone was all too comfortable to keep going west that the real one hit.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Been idling my equipment since Monday. Hello "soot level critical shutdown immediately"

Got a mechanic appointment on Tuesday to get this factory engine Webasto working. Combined with the block heater and oil pan heater I might be able to just sit it plugged in without having to idle it.

Atleast with this downtime I have time to swap the transfer case in the 6x6.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
My neighbour has some guy in an oilfield services sleeper cab in front of their place. Every time I drive past it's been idling. I was actually wondering if that would count against the regen limit.

Do you at least get a warm cab while it's trying to regen?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Where i parked my truck there was nowhere to plug in, and the coldest i started my truck without a block heater was around -30 it rained soot, and i had to sit there freezing for a while before i could let the clutch out. the shifter was almost impossible to move.

There were a couple days it took a torch on the oil pan, and a week or two i left it running, but it was a small engine with starter probably 3 times the size of a C15s.

My bigger problem with these temps was ice in the air lines. The tractor protection valve was under under the hood, so it would melt any ice in that part of the system, and send it out into the trailer that was still -40. at one point i had to pop the hatches and jam the air valves open with a pipe wrench to unload.

We've had a pretty good year so far, so i can put up with a month of cold, but if this poo poo carries on into march or April, I will not be a happy camper.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Looks like I'm going to be in YYC for a couple nights, looking like 5-6 March. I'll probably be in that sandman in Deerfoot meadows, near the Ikea and Lambo dealer.

If anyone wants to get together for a couple beer/wings and bullshit session, I should be available. Been on the wagon since New Years with one exception, so I think I'll be due.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

Where i parked my truck there was nowhere to plug in, and the coldest i started my truck without a block heater was around -30 it rained soot, and i had to sit there freezing for a while before i could let the clutch out. the shifter was almost impossible to move.

There were a couple days it took a torch on the oil pan, and a week or two i left it running, but it was a small engine with starter probably 3 times the size of a C15s.

My bigger problem with these temps was ice in the air lines. The tractor protection valve was under under the hood, so it would melt any ice in that part of the system, and send it out into the trailer that was still -40. at one point i had to pop the hatches and jam the air valves open with a pipe wrench to unload.

We've had a pretty good year so far, so i can put up with a month of cold, but if this poo poo carries on into march or April, I will not be a happy camper.

Yeah I was chasing down an air leak on the trailer (ended up being a popped airbag) and blew the brakes for a moment to try to isolate it. Big mistake. I don't know what froze, or where, but the trailer wouldn't accept air to charge back up after.

After dumping 2 liters of methyl hydrate in the supply line and application line and then spiking the brakes, an hour later I was standing there in -47 temps plus a crazy windchill about to call the mechanics of at 2am, and I look over and everything is inflated and the airbag isn't leaking anymore.

mcbagpipes
Apr 17, 2010

slidebite posted:

Looks like I'm going to be in YYC for a couple nights, looking like 5-6 March. I'll probably be in that sandman in Deerfoot meadows, near the Ikea and Lambo dealer.

If anyone wants to get together for a couple beer/wings and bullshit session, I should be available. Been on the wagon since New Years with one exception, so I think I'll be due.

I keep keeping to catch up with all of you guys. I would be happy to grab a beer.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Yeah I should be down provisionally, unless werk has other ideas for me. Not many places around where you're staying, though...Moxie's (ugh) and The Shark Club are about all that's close.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm not fussy, the Sharks I used to go to were OK before, but I don't mind the moxies lounge either so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I would rather not have to drive for obvious and purely selfish reasons. :shrug:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I mean there's beer at IKEA... and there's a few other places on like 18th or Macleod, not exactly walking distance but not far.
I'm in tho. Somehow haven't met Slidebite yet, time to fix that.

jonathan posted:

After dumping 2 liters of methyl hydrate (...) application line and then spiking the brakes, an hour later I was standing there in -47 temps plus a crazy windchill about to call the mechanics of at 2am, and I look over and everything is inflated and the airbag isn't leaking anymore.

yeah that's basically been my job for the last month. Defrost trailer, drain tanks and reapply methyl, verify problem fixed, go start frozen trucks.
Except I don't methyl the blue hand cause I don't hate service relay valves :colbert:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

LOL meet up at an Ikea would be awesome.

I'm fine with Sharks or Moxies lounge - I really don't care. In the hotel or walking distance would definitely be a bonus though.

Still a couple weeks though so no need to make hard plans yet.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I've been told to start posting in this thread despite the fact I am from best province.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

I've been told to start posting in this thread despite the fact I am from best province.

Gonna have to be more specific, there are 9 provinces that claim to be the best province. At least Saskatchewan knows it sucks.

Some fuckin nice t-shirt weather out there today. still 15 below but sunny as all hell.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So it is indeed looking like I'll be in YYC this Tues/Weds PM. Does either of those days in particular work?

SSS, I'll bring the disks.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I am out for Tuesday (business meeting) but Wednesday could work out.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Weds works for me. I'll PM you my cell #, we can get in touch.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Wednesday is good for me too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sent you a pm with my contact info chips. If anyone else thinks they can make it weds, pm me for info. Probably hit sharks or moxies lounge in deerfoot meadows.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Let it be known (cause I'm gonna forget by then) that if the current sitting US President continues this role until at least January 1, 2020 Slidebite owes SSS $50 CAD; if Donnie T. by any means loses said job (and jfc we can all hope) before that time the inverse is true.
Good meet guys, thanks for the beers/wings and the excuse to hang out Slidebite.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

How much does he owe if Donnie stays for another term (whether he wins the election or not) :haw:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

In my defense I was a little inebriated and was taken advantage of by those who weren't!

That said, the bet stands. If he's gone I am the recepient of $50, if he is still around I'm out $50.

Anything other than that I have no recollection of the event!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'll need the fifty to buy a big enough bottle of Aspirin to get me through the elections!

Thanks again for the disks.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
took the car in for an oil change and got told my brake rotors are rusted and need replacing, i'm pretty sure the guy realised I know gently caress all about cars and quoted me $700 or thereabouts per axle for pads and rotors and calipers - seems a little steep to me, is he being honest?

(also its snowing in calgary again, the loving +1 weather went to my head and I thought we were done with winter)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Eau de MacGowan posted:

took the car in for an oil change and got told my brake rotors are rusted and need replacing, i'm pretty sure the guy realised I know gently caress all about cars and quoted me $700 or thereabouts per axle for pads and rotors and calipers - seems a little steep to me, is he being honest?

(also its snowing in calgary again, the loving +1 weather went to my head and I thought we were done with winter)

What vehicle? if it's a big rear end SUV or something parts might actually be that expensive, then at least an hour/axle labour at prob $120/hour.

Can you get a pic of the rotors? if your vehicle has been sitting for a wile or it's electric and you've really been relyiung on regen i could see it, but i can't imagine the face of a daily driven car being rusty enough to need replacement.

It's not a tough job unless everything is rusted together, and doesn't require a whole lot of tools if you're willing to do it yourself, if it even needs to be done.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
It's a 2011 Ford Edge crossover SUV which I use every other day and keep outside and as far as I'm aware everything down there is original. He said it wasn't in need of immediate repair and couldn't give me a timeframe of how long it might last from here on, but he said that it was rusted away to the point that only half of the brake pad was actually in contact with the wheel. I haven't noticed any particular degeneration in the brakes since the last time I took it in for an oil change a year or so ago. I don't think I can get pictures, and as mentioned before I know gently caress all about cars and while I'd have a crack at fixing the lights or the windscreen wipers I don't really want to take my chances with the braking system. I'm going to phone around nonetheless, what do you think is a reasonable price range for this?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

oh hell naw. full pad and rotor set is under $200 shipped from rock auto. Even 100% mark-up ant $150/hour it shouldn't cost more than $700 overall, never mind $700 an axle.

The only real issue with rotors rust is getting high/low points where the pads sit, which you would recognize as pulsing in the brakes.

I'm not going to tell you not to do anything about it, because brakes are extremely important, i'm not a professional mechanic, and it's really hard to diagnose over the internet, but it sounds like you're being taken, and if it bothers you get a second opinion. Research well reviewed shops and find one to take a look, because there are lot of scumbags out there. If you're ever in red deer i'd take a look for you, and change them for a case of beer if they needed to be changed.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Cool, thanks for the information it pays to #askquestions

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, that sure is turning around

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

slidebite posted:

Well, that sure is turning around

Holy poo poo hahah. Keep that. If I got 23 above with the amount of snow sitting here, my entire house would float away.