Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
Does anyone have any experience with online-only A+ courses? I am looking to get that cert in order to get a foot in the door in IT but I have a stupid work schedule so finding a community college course that I can regularly attend has been a challenge.

I saw that you can buy a cert prep thing straight from CompTIA but I’d love to find a good online (either live or webinar) class to do before taking the test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Lord Wexia posted:

Does anyone have any experience with online-only A+ courses? I am looking to get that cert in order to get a foot in the door in IT but I have a stupid work schedule so finding a community college course that I can regularly attend has been a challenge.

I saw that you can buy a cert prep thing straight from CompTIA but I’d love to find a good online (either live or webinar) class to do before taking the test.

ProfessorMesser.com - he has full courses for the A+, Net+ and Sec+ in addition to a few Microsoft certs. All on Youtube, all for free. They are very good.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Thom and the Heads posted:

ProfessorMesser.com - he has full courses for the A+, Net+ and Sec+ in addition to a few Microsoft certs. All on Youtube, all for free. They are very good.

Seconding this. Messer got me through A+,Net+,Sec+ without issue. I wish he did the higher level stuff because he is really, really good.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

Seconding this. Messer got me through A+,Net+,Sec+ without issue. I wish he did the higher level stuff because he is really, really good.

Thirded. Don't spend any money for A+ study materials unless you benefit from a book, in which case get the Mike Meyers one.

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

I participated in one of Professor Messor’s live study groups today, and he answered one of my questions in the Q&A. I’m going to go back and watch some older sessions on YouTube.

The Mike Meyers video series from Udemy has been great. They’re on sale for $9 for maybe one more day (901 and 902 are sold separately).

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Anyone who is thinking of going for the CCNA Security exam, do yourself a favor and dont.

I've never seen such a poorly designed and thoroughly unorganized exam. The whole Cisco security platform is a raging dumpster fire and the test reflects this. I was going to try and soldier through but I just dont see the point. Get your hand on some cheap old ASAs and get comfortable using them and ASDM and that'll serve you better.

Going to start looking for Palo Alto firewall training materials, not sure if they have any certs related to the products but that seems like the better direction to go.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Anyone who is thinking of going for the CCNA Security exam, do yourself a favor and dont.

I've never seen such a poorly designed and thoroughly unorganized exam. The whole Cisco security platform is a raging dumpster fire and the test reflects this. I was going to try and soldier through but I just dont see the point. Get your hand on some cheap old ASAs and get comfortable using them and ASDM and that'll serve you better.

I studied for it for a while and never felt ready. Now that I"m doing the WGU thing I'm going to have to tackle it again and I'm not looking forward to it.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Going to start looking for Palo Alto firewall training materials, not sure if they have any certs related to the products but that seems like the better direction to go.

PA has the free ACE cert and the proctored PCNSE. No labbing involved, but it gets pretty in depth on configuration options and the like.

Jbz
Jun 6, 2011

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I just took this piece of poo poo last week and this is all correct. A real dogshit test, topics, and materials. Glad to be done with it.

If you’re being forced to take it, Udemy, OCG, and Boson tests were okay, but even then there is a ton of crap on there you’ll just be hoping to know.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Thirded. Don't spend any money for A+ study materials unless you benefit from a book, in which case get the Mike Meyers one.

I do remember that my old copy of the Gold Book was a legit useful reference when I had to troubleshoot something-or-other once (don’t actually remember what, maybe IRQ interrupts or something? :shrug:)

I’m told his Network+ is also v.deece?

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic
Finally got my rear end in check and booked the Security+ exam for the 21st of January.

I have read the Darril Gibson study guide. And I score above 93%+ regularly on all the tests in the book. I also score 92%+ average on all the security+ tests on examcompass.com

Does anyone know any more free tests I can take? or should I be in the clear already?

I currently work with PKI so the entire crypto part is a breeze.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jbz posted:

I just took this piece of poo poo last week and this is all correct. A real dogshit test, topics, and materials. Glad to be done with it.

If you’re being forced to take it, Udemy, OCG, and Boson tests were okay, but even then there is a ton of crap on there you’ll just be hoping to know.

I took this a few months back and yeah, the offical cert guide is just overall bad. They spend way more time on CCP which isn't even on the test than they do ASDM.

I was able to pass with the 31 days book, which is real solid, and just pounding away on the Boson practice tests.

siggy2021 posted:

I studied for it for a while and never felt ready. Now that I"m doing the WGU thing I'm going to have to tackle it again and I'm not looking forward to it.

Once you get into the Cisco courses you can get into the WGU Cisco google drive which has a ton more information than is available directly from the school. Lots of study notes and practice stuff.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 11, 2019

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
Passed CCNA R&S!

What helped:
- Todd Lammle book
- Chris Bryant udemy course
- classroom training
- rote memorization for subnet chart
- getting real comfortable with command outputs

I think I only touched physical routers and switches once while studying; packet tracer had more than enough functionality to get me through the exam.

Next stop, CEH(got a free voucher through a program, VCTP if youre a veteran)

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
When I was at Cisco Live! last year in one of the talks with one of the security guys they said that the Security test was one they were looking at redoing, I think they know it's bad.

With Cisco do equal level certs renew other ones? I have the CCNA R&S and it expires in 2020. With the WGU stuff I won't have time to study for the CCNP tests as well, but I will be doing the CCNA Security and CCDA. I'm hoping that either one of those will renew the CCNA, but I've found a mix of information and every time I look into it I get more confused.

Edit:

I found my answer. They have this very confusing looking table on the Recertification page:

Which almost seems to imply that you would to do a CCNP R&S to rewnew a CCNA R&S, but if you click through to the actual old certification it shows what all renews it, which the first line is "Pass any current Associate-level exam except for ICND1 exam, or"

siggy2021 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 11, 2019

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

As long as you pass the final test in the same level you're good.

CCDA or CCNA again or the new Cyber Ops stuff will all count as long as you qualify for the cert.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
My CCNA R&S expires in two weeks so I've got my CCNP switching exam on Monday.

Whoops.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Jbz posted:

Glad to hear its not just me. I feel pretty comfortable with ASDM and have deployed my fair share of ASAs so I thought it'd be a good way to renew my CCNA R&S but no way I am going to slog through that poo poo heap.

At this point I think I'm probably better off looking into CCDA and trying to get my hands on some Palo Alto equipment to learn the ins and outs. We've always been a 100% Cisco shop so I'm sure it'll be a bit of an adjustment.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Pearson just cancelled my AZ-102 for Monday because the test center burned down from an electrical fire

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Kashuno posted:

Pearson just cancelled my AZ-102 for Monday because the test center burned down from an electrical fire

lol this sounds like a question on Network +

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Fire is a layer 1 networking problem.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The ultimate Mantrap.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I got my classroom hours, any suggestions on taking the PMP? I assume additional study is important?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

lol this sounds like a question on Network +

War Smoking

for content; whew this AZ-102 exam has a lot stuff on migrating from AWS or vmWare to Azure lol. Overall it looks like it will be an easy test though I'll report back on Monday if anyone here is going through Azure stuff

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Works gonna pay for a CISSP exam for some reason. Should I just study old questions/answers?

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Kashuno posted:

War Smoking

for content; whew this AZ-102 exam has a lot stuff on migrating from AWS or vmWare to Azure lol. Overall it looks like it will be an easy test though I'll report back on Monday if anyone here is going through Azure stuff

Please do.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta

FogHelmut posted:

I got my classroom hours, any suggestions on taking the PMP? I assume additional study is important?

I used these two books. They are dry but helped a ton.

https://www.amazon.com/PMP-Exam-Prep-Eighth-Updated/dp/1932735658/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1547340642&sr=8-2&keywords=rita+pmp

https://www.amazon.com/PMP-Exam-Pass-First-Sixth/dp/0990907473/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1547340708&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=pmp+crowe&psc=1

I also recommend taking these practice exams.

https://www.project-management-prepcast.com/pmp-exam/the-pmp-exam-simulator

I passed on my first try using these. If you have additional questions, let me know. Good luck!

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard
Any recommendations for getting through, studying for, and completing the CCENT? My manager and I agreed it's time to have me start in on this, have yet to get the confirmation from our HR/Business people, but rest assured it's a happening thing.

Currently I am a Tier 2 Voice/Data Network Admin, so we do lots of troubleshooting, interface configurations, equipment installation help with our Field Engineers and things along those lines. Just looking for resources, suggestions, and things to consider about all this. Not super worried about being able to comprehend this all, but I do want to make the best of it.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Lord Rupert posted:

Any recommendations for getting through, studying for, and completing the CCENT? My manager and I agreed it's time to have me start in on this, have yet to get the confirmation from our HR/Business people, but rest assured it's a happening thing.

https://learningnetworkstore.cisco.com/on-demand-e-learning

Cisco's eLearning is amazing, built in labs and all. Try the free demo, see if you like the format. I did up through CCNP with the stuff.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Lord Rupert posted:

Currently I am a Tier 2 Voice/Data Network Admin, so we do lots of troubleshooting, interface configurations, equipment installation help with our Field Engineers and things along those lines. Just looking for resources, suggestions, and things to consider about all this. Not super worried about being able to comprehend this all, but I do want to make the best of it.

I used Todd Lammle's books for both ICND1 (CCENT) and ICND2. I liked them. CCENT book here: https://www.amazon.com/CCENT-ICND1-...dd+lammle+icnd1

It's not perfect -- I've found errors like a duplicated answer in an answer key for a different question (so the answer to that one is missing), and there are typos -- but overall I thought it was a good experience. It sounds like you have some experience with this stuff already; I was in the same position and passed on my first try just going through the Lammle book at about a chapter a night. I don't know that I'd say it's enough if you have no hands-on experience. My experience with a older version of the Cisco Press book was pretty poor; I thought it was extremely dry, and didn't always teach things the best way. Most notably, Lammle's approach to subnetting is a thousand percent better than the "official" Cisco methodology.

I'm doing some studying for CCNP SWITCH now and I wish Lammle had a book for it. I have the Bryant book but it's nowhere near as good.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

snackcakes posted:

Please do.

Just wrapped up, passed with an 845. The vast majority of the questioning was about MFA and Azure Site Recovery/Azure Migrate. Literally memorize the migration matrix for Hyper-V and VMWare because they were several q’s asking what VMs can migrate and what can’t. The networking stuff was mostly super basic (literally the image would show 2 vnet peers showing DISCONNECTED and ask if they could communicate) that is easy to crank through without anything to trip you up. The case studies were pretty in depth and I had to review to the case material several times throughout the questions. The other major piece was Azure Functions, Logic Apps, Event Grid, and how to use Service Queues and Topics for alerts.

For study material, I am gonna wholeheartedly recommend the AZ-102 course from Alan Rodrigues on Udemy, especially since they are constantly on sale for like $10. His questions weren’t verbatim brain dumps, but they were really close to what I saw on the exam and the videos go into good depth on every piece of content you may come across, including stuff like Service Bus Topics which I didn’t see anyone else covering. I used his course for the 70-533 and it was great, so I am thinking the dude is just quality content all around at this point

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Having taken the new style of exam how is it overall compared to previous exam editions?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I felt there was more theory and application questions rather than something like “navigate the exact sequence of azure screens you would go through to do X” although overall the exam remains mostly unchanged other than the addition of large case studies with several series of questions attached. One case study would have 4 questions attached, each question would be several parts. Still have the “you can’t go back after answering these”, “put these commands in order,” and “click what section of this page would do the thing”.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Passed CCNP Switch, 300-115. 825/1000, passing score is 790. Whew.

Don't cram your CCNP to recert your CCNA a week before it expires. Hella stressful.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Kazinsal posted:

Passed CCNP Switch, 300-115. 825/1000, passing score is 790. Whew.

Don't cram your CCNP to recert your CCNA a week before it expires. Hella stressful.

I'm working on this with the Chris Bryant book, and it's not half as good as the Todd Lammle book I used for CCNA. Any advice?

Also, pretty sure we covered this a while back, but I can renew a CCNA with just CCNP SWITCH (or any other CCNP exam), right? I don't want to do SWITCH and then find out I actually needed to do ROUTE and TSHOOT too. I mean, I plan to do those, but it would be nice to know the renewal is covered if I don't get to it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

guppy posted:

I'm working on this with the Chris Bryant book, and it's not half as good as the Todd Lammle book I used for CCNA. Any advice?

Also, pretty sure we covered this a while back, but I can renew a CCNA with just CCNP SWITCH (or any other CCNP exam), right? I don't want to do SWITCH and then find out I actually needed to do ROUTE and TSHOOT too. I mean, I plan to do those, but it would be nice to know the renewal is covered if I don't get to it.

Yeah you can just renew by doing any of the CCNP exams.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Yeah you can just renew by doing any of the CCNP exams.

Cool, I did not know this. This drastically increases the odds of my keeping my CCNA from expiring (despite the fact that I promptly forgot all Cisco-specific knowledge promptly after earning it).

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
Any same or higher level refreshes all the same or lower level exams. You can also do CCDA as a refresh for CCNA, for example. Or CCIE written, why not?

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I'm hoping to initiate a career change over the course of this year with little practical IT experience. Is there any value in checking out the Google IT courses on Coursera? Does it prepare one adequately for any actual certifications? Just wondering what resources I can exhaust online, am maybe asking dumb questions.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I'm taking the first half of the A+ tomorrow (Hardware). I'm probably good, but there is always that lingering fear that I'm not. Does anyone have any last minute tips or stuff i can plow through memorizing today/tomorrow morning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

siggy2021 posted:

I'm taking the first half of the A+ tomorrow (Hardware). I'm probably good, but there is always that lingering fear that I'm not. Does anyone have any last minute tips or stuff i can plow through memorizing today/tomorrow morning?

know the different mobo form factors. you're probably going to have a sim where you have to build out a few different PCs (a "home theater pc", a gaming pc or a graphic design/cad machine) from a selection of parts. know your port numbers and cable connector types/functions.

i'd go through the objectives and just brush up on anything that looks unfamiliar
https://certification.comptia.org/docs/default-source/exam-objectives/comptia-a-220-901-exam-objectives.pdf