Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Love the twitter gun hanging out of her pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Radish posted:

Someone really needs to look at what the gently caress google and youtube are doing. Their algorithms are seriously susceptible to this sort of thing if they aren't outright promoting it. If the Republicans can cry and get Facebook to be more "fair" then Democrats really should look at nazis indoctrinating a generation of kids.

They literally do not know how their recommendation algorithm works. Neither does Facebook. Both are "deep learning" monstrosities where there's just a giant pile of numbers indicating weights to how various factors interact and are for practical purposes completely incomprehensible.

Basically they took all their data on how people behave on the site, threw it into a pile, then told a computer to figure out how to use that data to give recommended articles/videos that maximize the time a user will stay on the site and see more ads. The reason why it tends towards extremist content is that the machine learning determined that people who watch that poo poo watch a lot of that poo poo.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

kidkissinger posted:

as a white person i feel kind of uncomfortable speculating about whether a black man is or isn't a hotep. just feels off.

I mean broadly speaking you shouldn't

But if someone is a hotep you're probably not gonna need to speculate cuz it ain't subtle

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

my bony fealty posted:

It's time to play everyones favorite game, "hotep, uncle tom, or just insane?"

note that the three choices are not mutually exclusive

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Katt posted:

Shapiros torso is 3 packs of fries wide and he could probably hide in one of those bags sitting down.
Ben Shapiro is a happy-meal toy.

Your Taint posted:

I've taken dumps bigger than that guy.
Ben Shapiro is Bad Milo

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Family Values posted:

Huh, 'hotep' is a new one to me. Did we really need a special name for misogynists who happen to be black, or is there more to it than that?

(I'm really slow on things like this since I don't do social media. I'm still trying to figure out if 'chud' is a DJT supporter, a member of the alt-right, or just any conservative)

I use, as a general rule, a CHUD is anyone who, at this point still can find at least one redeeming quality, of any kind in Trump. But yeah it's shorthand for "diehard Trump supporter."

Demiurge4 posted:

Love the twitter gun hanging out of her pocket.

She should carry it in a holster. :clint:

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 17, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

VitalSigns posted:

Pressley is sinning every day she's still married to a man with a kid from another woman but Trump can stay with his third wife yet be sinless because ???

well obviously. donald trump is a sinless white man who loves god and puts the evil whores in their place or some sort of misogynistic poo poo

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Nocturtle posted:

I don't know, it's interesting to read the Lincoln-Douglas debates where there's a level of detail and substantive argument that's just absent in modern televised debates. It makes me wonder if all the old men yelling at clouds have a point and we've all got stupid.

If you read letters written by randos of the time they certainly seem better educated than what you'd see from pulling up a random social media site today and reading someone's posts. Whether that's due to the medium their ideas are being expressed through, worse education, or a combination of the two, I can't say. :shrug:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shifty Pony posted:

They literally do not know how their recommendation algorithm works. Neither does Facebook. Both are "deep learning" monstrosities where there's just a giant pile of numbers indicating weights to how various factors interact and are for practical purposes completely incomprehensible.

Basically they took all their data on how people behave on the site, threw it into a pile, then told a computer to figure out how to use that data to give recommended articles/videos that maximize the time a user will stay on the site and see more ads. The reason why it tends towards extremist content is that the machine learning determined that people who watch that poo poo watch a lot of that poo poo.

Yeah, it’s this and it’s an ongoing process. The entire site is instrumented and when you click a video the exact context is recorded and fed into the aggregate where it influences future listings. It’s a feedback loop driven by the most addicted users with the least healthy relationship to internet content.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Radish posted:

Someone really needs to look at what the gently caress google and youtube are doing. Their algorithms are seriously susceptible to this sort of thing if they aren't outright promoting it. If the Republicans can cry and get Facebook to be more "fair" then Democrats really should look at nazis indoctrinating a generation of kids.

I dunno, the algorithm noticed you had a sharp knife and made a few guesses about what you'd like to do with it.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
It doesn't change your life or interactions much, but Hoteps are usually self identifying in my experience. My first exposure to hotep literature was a comic that asserted black men had the unique power to absorb and emit UV rays from their eyes like an Egyptian Superman. The only reason white men weren't melting hither and yon under the withering gaze of pan-african righteousness was because the knowledge of this power had been stolen.

It's weird is what I'm saying.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

KickerOfMice posted:

I use, as a general rule, a CHUD is anyone who, at this point still can find at least one redeeming quality, of any kind in Trump. But yeah it's shorthand for "diehard Trump supporter."

i think the simplest definition is someone who’s a vicious misanthrope. pointing out to them that their ideas would make the world worse does nothing to change their minds, because making the world worse is the entire point. they get off on human suffering.

trump is a natural conclusion for them

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

It doesn't change your life or interactions much, but Hoteps are usually self identifying in my experience. My first exposure to hotep literature was a comic that asserted black men had the unique power to absorb and emit UV rays from their eyes like an Egyptian Superman. The only reason white men weren't melting hither and yon under the withering gaze of pan-african righteousness was because the knowledge of this power had been stolen.

So my ability to vibrate my pupils on command is because I cant fully access my powers. A real shame.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

This is a dumb take that's engineered to generate responses like

The Super-Id posted:

Wouldn't want to let anyone think these people ever face consequences.

Clyburn, the Congressman who sent the censure motion to committee, is also the Congressman who introduced the disapproval resolution, and his sole concern about censure is that the Republicans would use it as precedent to poo poo the House up with censure votes every time a Democrat said something they didn't like and prevent actual business from getting done.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

That part sounds really cool lol

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

That sounds cool as gently caress

Those are also the guys that believe in the Egypt was controlled by strong magic black men thing, and get Egypt and Nubia/ Kush confused right?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

this sounds fuckin amazing

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Charlz Guybon posted:

If you read letters written by randos of the time they certainly seem better educated than what you'd see from pulling up a random social media site today and reading someone's posts. Whether that's due to the medium their ideas are being expressed through, worse education, or a combination of the two, I can't say. :shrug:

There was a greater focus on literature at school back then. People would actually study poetry. Nowadays, the written word is competing for air time with a host of curriculum that 19th century peeps wouldn't have dreamed of. (I.e IT, reproductive health).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cable Guy posted:

Ben Shapiro is a happy-meal toy.

Ben Shapiro is Bad Milo

Ben Shapiro managed to not just precede but also survive Milo's entire career. Also Ben, to my knowledge, does not want to have sex with teenagers, so that's another leg he has up on Milo. Which is kinda ironic because he only comes up to Milo's thigh.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Besesoth posted:

Clyburn, the Congressman who sent the censure motion to committee, is also the Congressman who introduced the disapproval resolution, and his sole concern about censure is that the Republicans would use it as precedent to poo poo the House up with censure votes every time a Democrat said something they didn't like and prevent actual business from getting done.
:jerkbag: who loving cares though

If your political calculus going forward gives any weight to "what will the Republicans do with this precedent" then you don't belong in office.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

TulliusCicero posted:

Those are also the guys that believe in the Egypt was controlled by strong magic black men thing, and get Egypt and Nubia/ Kush confused right?

Yeah that's the jist of it. Still misogynistic, religious conservative assholes but with a fun gumbo of historically inspired mythology.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Crow Jane posted:

Is marrying a widower okay?

Not only okay, you are obligated to do it if the widower is your brother-in-law.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i dont think so. i think he is just an uber evangelical conservative type.

yeah, he probably has some sort of genuine brain problem. or at least that what my friend thinks.

I happened to be watching a video of his show today and yeah i think he genuinely has something wrong with him. His main thing seems to be that males are being turned into liberals by their mothers and becoming BAYTA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAEwSURAfhI&t=6046s

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

If your political calculus going forward gives any weight to "what will the Republicans do with this precedent" then you don't belong in office.

I will admit, I am moderately worried purely because it would suck if the freshman class like AOC or Pressley got censured by Republicans citing this as precedent.

BUT

They should still censure him anyway, gently caress Nazis.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

nine-gear crow posted:

Ben Shapiro managed to not just precede but also survive Milo's entire career. Also Ben, to my knowledge, does not want to have sex with teenagers, so that's another leg he has up on Milo. Which is kinda ironic because he only comes up to Milo's thigh.
I was actually talking about the movie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhjrttQ0uUM

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
My First Hotep Experience (tm) was back when those two native american kids got kicked out of a university campus tour for looking suspicious and this guy started showing his whole rear end.
https://twitter.com/tariqnasheed/status/992942279315808256

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

I would say all hoteps believe in the Black Egyptian hypothesis, but not all Black Egyptian believers are hoteps. The identity certainly leans heavily on discredited afrocentric ideas of the 20th century.

It's pretty fascinating stuff. If you wanna get real weird look up the Black Hebrew Israelites, the folks who think that "real Jews" are/were black.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Rex-Goliath posted:

i think the simplest definition is someone who’s a vicious misanthrope. pointing out to them that their ideas would make the world worse does nothing to change their minds, because making the world worse is the entire point. they get off on human suffering.

trump is a natural conclusion for them

That works for me too. Like you said, there's kindof an overlap between our definitions anyhow.

E- Never heard of a hotep before, I'm too white. But Hitler-melting black Egyptian superman sounds pretty drat cool, just all on its own, I must admit. :v:

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 17, 2019

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

quote:

Still, Rush and Ryan told reporters Tuesday that they would press on with censure. Aides to both lawmakers acknowledged ongoing discussions with party leaders Wednesday but said they had no plans to change course.

Asked whether a censure measure could pass, Clyburn said, “Oh, yeah, it would pass.”

It's a super lovely headline.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

https://twitter.com/ArianaStrategy/status/1085616110077124609

man they're so poo poo at everything. "wolf pack of rogue states" really rolls off the tongue mikey.

It sounds like something a 70's Maoist propaganda minister would say while ranting about imperialist capitalist pigdogs.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Besesoth posted:

This is a dumb take that's engineered to generate responses like

Because as we all know, the Republicans would never gently caress anyone over with a procedural loophole unless the Democrats gave them a precedent. The Republicans’ passivity and decorum is such a reliable political law of nature that it’s absolutely worth it to avoid censuring open white supremacists.

For some reason the word GARLAND is floating through my brain in fifty-foot high letters made of fire and hatred. It’s probably nothing.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Der Waffle Mous posted:

My First Hotep Experience (tm) was back when those two native american kids got kicked out of a university campus tour for looking suspicious and this guy started showing his whole rear end.
https://twitter.com/tariqnasheed/status/992942279315808256

Worth noting he’s currently on a tear promoting the idea that because white men have gotten away with sex crimes, no one is allowed to be mad at R. Kelly.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Accelerationism is a hell of a drug.

(I think he should be censured too, but it's loving stupid to say "you're doing nothing" to the guy who literally just did something (e: and it's equally loving stupid to pretend that his reason is "nobody should face consequences") and lmao if you think WaPo isn't just trying to generate outrage in people who only read the headlines on Twitter.)

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 17, 2019

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
The hotep poo poo is decades old, like it was a running joke 30 years ago in remarkably unchanged form

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Lightning Knight posted:

I will admit, I am moderately worried purely because it would suck if the freshman class like AOC or Pressley got censured by Republicans citing this as precedent.

BUT

They should still censure him anyway, gently caress Nazis.
If the GOP still controlled the House this term they'd absolutely be doing something like this to AOC over some bullshit and most definitely to Rashida Tlaib over the impeachment comment. There's no question of that. So who cares.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Are hoteps in any way related to the NoI?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
AOC, and some other freshmen, gave their first speech today.

Here's a snippet regarding AOC. Will look for others

https://twitter.com/policyjunkie/status/1085692775654412288

(read thread)

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

If the GOP still controlled the House this term they'd absolutely be doing something like this to AOC over some bullshit and most definitely to Rashida Tlaib over the impeachment comment. There's no question of that. So who cares.

Yeah that’s why they should do it anyway.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

My incredibly lovely paint shop in response to hearing the freshman democrats went hunting for McConnel in the capitol and he went hiding in the closet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Holy poo poo the House voted to rebuke King like 424-1. That's insane