Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Martin Crane lives a quiet life in a senior-oriented apartment community. His horrible sons visit occasionally, but mostly stay away, which all are happy with. He has regular daily visits from a very professional home health worker who helps him out a lot. The television series "Frasier" is merely the nightmares of his small dog, Eddie, brought on by the cheap food Martin buys him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I mean food and sex and lots of physical comedy what else would a dog dream about??

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Frasier shoulda stuck with the high-roller executive and hung out with the trophy wives.

At least Martin got called out for being seriously weird over Asian women.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
We finished Cheers a couple months ago and started Frasier sometime in December. We're about 1/3 of the way through the fourth season now. I wasn't really into it by the end of the first season but now that the characters have developed some, I really like it. My favorite part of Cheers was Kelsey Grammer's silent facial reactions and there's enough of that here to keep me happy.

Please don't die, thread. I need more Crane Bros. watercolors and KG naked eating pesto

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Marenghi posted:

He was, even after he got Daphne he was.

Like how he never saw her weight gain and refused to see her as a real person, only as the fantasy he built up in his mind.

Come to think of it they never had much meaningful interaction prior to her finding out his secret obsession.

He was the gooniest character when you think of it.

I think they had built a good friendship prior to that, and of course there was the night of dancing with Daphne in the red dress which was a favour for a friend. It could be retconned as she always kind of knew and felt the same way but never imagined a relationship with him was possible..until she found out it was. Whatever, it was a ridiculous pairing that killed the show.

Thinking about it, Roz and Niles might have been a good match. Remember in the early shows all they did was insult each other terribly and really enjoyed it? Imagine non-stop witty, offensive zingers flying followed by passionate kissing and ripping of clothes.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

it's astounding how even late season 'bad' frasier still shits all over most other sitcoms

niles' Cam Winston accent in the L'Port Argent spa episode is hilarious and that's like late season 10

the overwrought 'oh no niles had a heart attack' episode is really bad when they're in the hospital, but even the episode leading to it is pretty great.

I'd probably watch king of Queens or according to Jim over daphne/Niles hilarious marriage tales.

To clarify, I'd rather kill myself.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
Fraiser: everything has returned. sirius, and the spider, and thy thoughts at this moment, and this last thought of thine that all things will return
Niles: *pants go on fire*

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm sorry to disappoint but instead of getting blackout drunk and watching Frasier by myself tonight I'm getting blackout drunk and watching Grounded for Life by myself.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Recommended?

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
if you're watching a sitcom you could do a lot worse than Grounded For Life, but it's really nothing special

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Eh, I just need one other person to at least say something is worth trying. I see so many sitcoms on Hulu/Netflix and I just gloss over them because I don't know which ones stand out.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Definitely strongly recommend Grounded for Life season 1, season 2 yes but with less enthusiasm, and the show kind of drops off the cliff from there.

If you want a post-work turn off your brain show you could do a lot worse. Absolutely try it.

It's all on Prime Video.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I always remembered Grounded For Life as being part of the post-Married With Children era of Fox sitcoms that most people seem to have forgotten, which included Titus as arguably my favourite.

I don't know if it's on Hulu, but if you can find Titus, give it a shot (first season's only 7 or 9 episodes, and it's pretty hilarious out of the gate). Plus, Stacy Keach as his old man will never not be amazing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

supernatural blonde posted:

I think they had built a good friendship prior to that, and of course there was the night of dancing with Daphne in the red dress which was a favour for a friend. It could be retconned as she always kind of knew and felt the same way but never imagined a relationship with him was possible..until she found out it was. Whatever, it was a ridiculous pairing that killed the show.

Thinking about it, Roz and Niles might have been a good match. Remember in the early shows all they did was insult each other terribly and really enjoyed it? Imagine non-stop witty, offensive zingers flying followed by passionate kissing and ripping of clothes.

Eh, Niles and Roz get along in short bursts but I'm pretty sure in the long run they'd be trying to kill each other. They could have done something about how Daphne's Britishness could go well with Niles' stuffiness. (I get the impression she gets along well with the boys because they're as British as Americans can get)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
TBH as much as I love the show, I wouldn't say any of the characters are extremely well fleshed out, so it's hard to say which relationships would've worked and which wouldn't. They're likeable characters and that's all they needed to be. Getting any of them together was not necessarily going to result in good comedy.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Eh, Niles and Roz get along in short bursts but I'm pretty sure in the long run they'd be trying to kill each other. They could have done something about how Daphne's Britishness could go well with Niles' stuffiness. (I get the impression she gets along well with the boys because they're as British as Americans can get)

Niles also probably didn't recognize that Daphne's accent wasn't exactly a posh one, either.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Roz would've destroyed Niles the first time they had sex.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

duck trucker posted:

I'd totally let Roz destroy me

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Megyn Price is one of the hottest TV moms ever as well.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Roz my Niles hole

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Remember when Niles and Frasier transcended blood brotherhood and became eskimo brothers

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Laterite posted:

Megyn Price is one of the hottest TV moms ever as well.

:yeah:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Marenghi posted:

He was, even after he got Daphne he was.

Like how he never saw her weight gain and refused to see her as a real person, only as the fantasy he built up in his mind.

the whole point of that episode was calling that out and trying to acknowledge how weird their relationship really was, and i think it did an okay job (certainly far better than most shows that would just ignore it and roll)

quote:

Come to think of it they never had much meaningful interaction prior to her finding out his secret obsession.

he saw her basically every day and hung out with her a bunch, like yeah he was making excuses to see her but he still did see her. poo poo, she is prepared to temporarily move in with him when she has a fight with martin's gf Sherry.

quote:

He was the gooniest character when you think of it.

no argument there

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

I figured that was a given in my statement.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

duck trucker posted:

I don't know. Remember when Daphne was telling Roz about how crazy Niles was in bed and Roz was just like, "Niles?!" Not to mention he kept up with that 20 year old waitress for a few weeks and broke his box spring. Dude could throw down.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Niles gotta have it!

(This guy fucks!!!)

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't know. Remember when Daphne was telling Roz about how crazy Niles was in bed and Roz was just like, "Niles?!" Not to mention he kept up with that 20 year old waitress for a few weeks and broke his box spring. Dude could throw down.

He could play in the minors but Roz is in the majors.

Roz destroy me plz

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Roz pegs whether you want it or not

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Niles obsessing over Daphne and constantly getting drunk as poo poo with his brother hurt his marriage.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Laterite posted:

Roz my Niles hole

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the episode where they reminisce about leon, the long lost third crane, got dark fast

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Niles obsessing over Daphne and constantly getting drunk as poo poo with his brother hurt his marriage.

good it was a poo poo marriage fukken you as the viewer are never allowed to see the bootes void of her being becuase your brain couldnt even comprehend like you would see a ufo or a leprechaun or something

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I mean this was actually a point that came up during the divorce arc and that Niles acknowledged himself, that he'd started checking out of his marriage because of his infatuation with Daphne, even though it was already failing.

mojo1701a posted:

Niles also probably didn't recognize that Daphne's accent wasn't exactly a posh one, either.

This is pretty standard for Americans. Even ones who've been to England. (Niles went to Cambridge, didn't he?)

One thing almost unique to Frasier is that Niles' divorce is actually a long, painful and complicated process involving both personal and legal detachment from Maris, especially when there's a lot of money involved. There seems to be a stereotype of divorced men moving into depressing apartment blocks with a high suicide rate. I vaguely remember the place my dad moved out to after divorcing my mom was more like a frat house.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 19, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think Daphne telling stories of her brother cutting his own toes off to give to the "Toe Fairy" or her brothers peeping on her in the shower or her father passing out in the hallway and everyone having to be quiet because of his headaches probably clued him in that she wasn't distinguished nobility.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean this was actually a point that came up during the divorce arc and that Niles acknowledged himself, that he'd started checking out of his marriage because of his infatuation with Daphne, even though it was already failing.

This is pretty standard for Americans. Even ones who've been to England. (Niles went to Cambridge, didn't he?)

One thing almost unique to Frasier is that Niles' divorce is actually a long, painful and complicated process involving both personal and legal detachment from Maris, especially when there's a lot of money involved. There seems to be a stereotype of divorced men moving into depressing apartment blocks with a high suicide rate. I vaguely remember the place my dad moved out to after divorcing my mom was more like a frat house.

That apartment complex sounded awesome though. They had weekly nights of subs and unlimited pinball machine games

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think Daphne telling stories of her brother cutting his own toes off to give to the "Toe Fairy" or her brothers peeping on her in the shower or her father passing out in the hallway and everyone having to be quiet because of his headaches probably clued him in that she wasn't distinguished nobility.

...have you SEEN British aristocrats?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Everyone gets real cranky about seasons 9 and 10, and while they were the low point of the show, they were certainly better than nearly all other sitcom television. The whole show is just like two entire standard deviations above all other sitcoms, such that the lows are still about on par with the best stuff other series' tend to produce. And the highs, well, come on.

I'm amused at that article about falling asleep to Frasier. Before even clicking on it, I thought "that's a good point, it's probably great for sleeping, but I love Futurama for that." And then he immediately references that subreddit. I was floored when I found out that was a thing, and that there were enough other people that put on Futurama at night that it gained enough traction to warrant a subreddit.

The author sucks though, solely for this aside:
"(which, you'll recall, is modeled on the one in Coco Chanel's Paris apartment)" It's an atelier you loving poseur

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I'm watching an episode of Cheers where Martin Crane is playing Sy Flembeck, jingle writer. This is so weird. Fraiser and him even interact.

On that same note I saw another one awhile back where Fraiser said his dad was a scientist and was dead. Am I just making things up in my head or was that actually addressed on Fraiser at some point, maybe the episode where they go to Clavin's going away party?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I'm watching an episode of Cheers where Martin Crane is playing Sy Flembeck, jingle writer. This is so weird. Fraiser and him even interact.

On that same note I saw another one awhile back where Fraiser said his dad was a scientist and was dead. Am I just making things up in my head or was that actually addressed on Fraiser at some point, maybe the episode where they go to Clavin's going away party?

Weirdly enough that description actually applies to Frasier's mother, iirc at some point they find old notes of her on a couple of lab mice. (named Frasier and Niles, hilarity ensues because Frasier didn't read the rest)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

They bring it up and Frasier just says he was mad at Martin or something similar