Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

rydiafan posted:

Hey my dudes, am I seeing any of you in two weeks at ATC?

Wish I had the time :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Iceclaw posted:

Cephalyx arguably have the same diversity as the rest of the mercs, tho. Not entirely the same thing. Convergence is in a worse spot.

I don't really know what you mean, convergence have MUCH more diversity, have gotten a bunch of casters and solos, a new battle engine and a new colossal, plus new themes? They've seen a bunch of love? They also weren't told "you can use Cryx models!" Then after they'd bought them "no, actually you can't" then after they'd sold them "yes actually you can"?

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Didn't see it mentioned, but isn't the card database an up to date source on model rules? Including CID? http://cards.privateerpress.com/

As for the success of MK3 in my local scene, my casual group disbanded when people moved away right before mk3 launched. They just moved back and the prospect of more warjack / warbeast heavy armies is an easy sell; as is ready access to updated model info for proxies. I have high hopes for mk3, but worst case, we can just go back to play mk2.

Plus, we were a pretty casual group and always allowed pre-measuring (for the drunker players), so there's not a lot of arguing about that major change.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Serenade posted:

Didn't see it mentioned, but isn't the card database an up to date source on model rules? Including CID? http://cards.privateerpress.com/

As for the success of MK3 in my local scene, my casual group disbanded when people moved away right before mk3 launched. They just moved back and the prospect of more warjack / warbeast heavy armies is an easy sell; as is ready access to updated model info for proxies. I have high hopes for mk3, but worst case, we can just go back to play mk2.

Plus, we were a pretty casual group and always allowed pre-measuring (for the drunker players), so there's not a lot of arguing about that major change.

The cards usually update like a week behind the app but should be up to date atm.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
It doesn't include CID info as those rules aren't real until they go 'live' usually a month or so before the actual models start dropping.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://conflictchamber.com/?event=651

Data!

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I played 50 points with irsmartlikerock tonight. I hadn't played since 2016. Felt like a completely different game from launch.

Is Armored Corps theme Khador's go-to theme now? I was screwing around making a list for Vlad2 between Winter Guard/Armored Corps/Jaws of the Wolf, in AC it almost feels like I get as many infantry models on the board as in WGK, but they all have massive armor and boxes.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

koreban posted:

I played 50 points with irsmartlikerock tonight. I hadn't played since 2016. Felt like a completely different game from launch.

Is Armored Corps theme Khador's go-to theme now? I was screwing around making a list for Vlad2 between Winter Guard/Armored Corps/Jaws of the Wolf, in AC it almost feels like I get as many infantry models on the board as in WGK, but they all have massive armor and boxes.

All of their themes are good, the pure jack theme is prooobably the worst of them? Probably? 75 points is a full size game, I dunno how exactly you're matching infantry numbers though, but the lists do play quite a bit differently.

https://conflictchamber.com/#c3201b_-0f767p7p8tch7Z7Z7R7W7R7W7-7-7Y7W7Y7W

Khador Army - 75 / 75 points
[Theme] Winter Guard Kommand

[Vladimir 1] Vladimir Tzepesci, the Dark Prince [+28]
- Destroyer [14]
- Destroyer [14]
Kovnik Jozef Grigorovich [4]
Kayazy Eliminators [5]
Winter Guard Field Gun Crew [0(4)]
Winter Guard Field Gun Crew [4]
Winter Guard Infantry (min) [6]
- Winter Guard Rocketeer (3) [6]
Winter Guard Infantry (min) [6]
Winter Guard Mortar Crew [0(5)]
Winter Guard Mortar Crew [0(5)]
Winter Guard Rifle Corps (max) [13]
Winter Guard Rifle Corps (max) [13]

I feel like I'm missing a utility solo here, but you get the idea.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
We played at 50 because I was having to refresh myself on rules. It ended up taking a couple hours because I didn't have the abilities and stats memorized anymore.

I don't recall the specific list I was building at the time (I've been screwing around with War Room and Conflict Chamber a lot), but it felt like the points sink to activate the free cards was pretty low, and the free attachments and/or solos were generally fairly expensive, making them a great deal.

Either way, I ordered the MoW theme box on clearance for $100 and Sorscha3, so I'll be able to play around with it on the table soon enough.

I also painted a solid dozen models this weekend, such that my army was 100% painted (but not finalized on the bases yet, trying to learn to make snow not look boring).

S.J.
May 19, 2008

That's fair, things look a little off at 50 points. And things can really change based on how many extra points the WG theme spends on jacks. Plus, the MoW theme is just sick as hell.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
You ain’t kidding.

https://conflictchamber.com/#c3201b_-0Tk_kVkZ8fhF8pl5l386l2l7l17QgdkQ

Khador Army - 75 / 75 points
[Theme] Armored Corps

[Sorscha 3] Kommandant Sorscha Kratikoff [+28]
- Beast 09 [18]
- Rager [10]
- War Dog [3]
Greylord Forge Seer [0(4)]
Man-O-War Drakhun [9]
Man-O-War Kovnik [4]
Man-O-War Suppression Tanker [0(6)]
Battle Mechaniks (min) [3]
Kommandant Atanas Arconovich & Standard [7]
Man-O-War Demolition Corps (max) [14]
- Sergeant Dragos Dragadovich [0(6)]
Man-O-War Shocktroopers (max) [16]
- Man-O-War Shocktrooper Officer [4]
Man-O-War Siege Chariot [15]

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
o fuk, that poo poo looks good and not fun to run into. Cloud Walls are still super strong and auto stationary on a stick is a pain to deal with

head58
Apr 1, 2013

That’s very similar to the list I’m bringing to CaptainCon but I don’t have the chariot so I threw in a Devastator because what that list needs is moar disgustingly high armor with lots of boxes.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
I looked up the chariot last night and learned about it being direct-only from PP's webstore. What's the story there? They've had lots of colossals and battle engines in their normal distribution chain. Why make those particular ones exclusives? (It's purely the money, right?) Just like the loot crate thing?

head58
Apr 1, 2013

They started doing the huge base stuff in-house only at some point last year. Not sure exactly why but the stores I talked to about it weren’t too upset - lots of that stuff just sat on shelves taking up space anyway. Some of the early ones (esp the troll one) were stupidly overpriced but they’ve gotten better about that.

But it was part of a series of kind of strange and not very transparent business decisions that have made people pretty skeptical about the company.

Also I think you’re hosed if you’re outside the US in terms of shipping for the things, so that pissed a lot of folks off.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

head58 posted:

They started doing the huge base stuff in-house only at some point last year. Not sure exactly why but the stores I talked to about it weren’t too upset - lots of that stuff just sat on shelves taking up space anyway. Some of the early ones (esp the troll one) were stupidly overpriced but they’ve gotten better about that.

But it was part of a series of kind of strange and not very transparent business decisions that have made people pretty skeptical about the company.

Also I think you’re hosed if you’re outside the US in terms of shipping for the things, so that pissed a lot of folks off.

I bet they sell like gangbusters at cons that PP attends and brings their mobile store to.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
They really need to open up a hub in Asia and Europe for distribution. They are killing themselves in terms of missed sales and angry customer.

I wonder if they are just scared of entering GW’s home turf and competing for bigger market share on their home turf? I know the taxes in Europe can also seem oppressive to an American so maybe they just don’t see a lot of opportunity there?

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Excelsiortothemax posted:

They really need to open up a hub in Asia and Europe for distribution. They are killing themselves in terms of missed sales and angry customer.

I wonder if they are just scared of entering GW’s home turf and competing for bigger market share on their home turf? I know the taxes in Europe can also seem oppressive to an American so maybe they just don’t see a lot of opportunity there?

I'm pretty sure they just dont have the money to do so. PP wasnt a large company at the height of its popularity in mk2 and they're arguably smaller now.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah it's the same reason why it can be a huge pain in the rear end to get European made models in the US, too. PP really does need to find a European based distro they can work with though, because drat.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

As an aside as I make the bartertown post, I'm selling a large Grymkin army.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Give it to me straight thread, how badly did I gently caress up in buying this Grymkin book that appears to be mostly fluff and no real model info?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

The black anchor heavy industries page had “free worldwide shipping” listed at the bottom of the page when I went to try and get a carriage today.

drat thing’s sold out :argh:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Give it to me straight thread, how badly did I gently caress up in buying this Grymkin book that appears to be mostly fluff and no real model info?

I mean, I think the art and fluff for Grymkin is awesome, so... not at all? The books are completely there for the story really at this point, all the rules are freely available in their card catalogue even if you don't buy the faction in the app.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
The Supreme Guardian is the best single model in the game. Change my mind.

Alternative Title: Help, I can't stop making Makeda 3 Exalted lists!

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 17, 2019

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

AttackBacon posted:

The Supreme Guardian is the best single model in the game. Change my mind.

It's not even the best battle engine in its faction.

Seriously, though, it's good enough that I have a hard time finding a reason for any list (other than in DoA - and who plays that these days?) to not take at least one. And it goes really well with Makeda 3 due to anti-spell tech. Pity you need to import the thing.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I really need to order another dracodile but I’m a poor college student now and I’m also still waiting on the Well.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

There's a solid case for the Grymkin book being the best one. The other books are half stats and rules, most of which are now out-of-date.

If you need the rule cards, just go here: https://cards.privateerpress.com/

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Tickets are live for the WMW qualifier tournament at the Bugeater GT in Omaha, NE, early June! http://gt.bugeatergames.com/?product=warmachine-hordes-wmw-qualifier&fbclid=IwAR12NdasRyH-7TyLaGEdXqtHv5E9Ka0SyGKoUtSxGW0cFS3tbcBvUDRjhOg

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is there any promotional stuff out for the Infernals yet? So far I've found a render and an embarrassingly awful YouTube animation.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Some shop out in Iowa seems to be clearing out its WMH stock on ebay mystery box style. They're promising $200 in minis for $80 if anyone's interested in surprise splurging on models.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Warmachine-Hordes-Lot-199-MSRP-value-your-choice-of-faction-NIB-New-Stock/254074368550?hash=item3b28033226

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

koreban posted:

Some shop out in Iowa seems to be clearing out its WMH stock on ebay mystery box style. They're promising $200 in minis for $80 if anyone's interested in surprise splurging on models.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Warmachine-Hordes-Lot-199-MSRP-value-your-choice-of-faction-NIB-New-Stock/254074368550?hash=item3b28033226

They let you pick your faction too

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Welp. Thought of the day: Solid Ground is not Chosen Ground. I ate dirt against Kreoss2 because I thought SG was battlegroup only. I ate way too much Sacrosanct.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Iceclaw posted:

Welp. Thought of the day: Solid Ground is not Chosen Ground. I ate dirt against Kreoss2 because I thought SG was battlegroup only. I ate way too much Sacrosanct.

Ouch. Yeah, Solid Ground is baller as hell.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

neonchameleon posted:

It's not even the best battle engine in its faction.

Seriously, though, it's good enough that I have a hard time finding a reason for any list (other than in DoA - and who plays that these days?) to not take at least one. And it goes really well with Makeda 3 due to anti-spell tech. Pity you need to import the thing.

Yeah, IRL acquisition aside, it's pretty hard to leave out of lists. I rate it even higher than the turtle simply due to how it affects the game for such a long period. It's going to be your anchor and is pretty hard to actually shoot off the table in most good Skorne lists, whereas the turtle is going out and getting poo poo done and often ends up eating dirt eventually. Having that MAT Probably Too Much / RNG 3(!) / POW Holy Moly beatstick ready to come in and put the hurt down after it's sat there the whole game absorbing spells, putting random poo poo on fire, and spitting out an endless tide of nega-elves just suits how I like to play so well.

I had one one-round an Arcane Shielded Stormwall (under Incite) the other day which may have cost me a friendship but was absolutely worth it. Seeing the look on his face when I picked up 5 dice after telling him it was POW 22 was just transcendent. Next step is to kill an entire unit of Warders or Man'O'Wars with one Thresher.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
How did you manage that? Incite only gives you +2 to bring you up to PS 20 since you can’t Enrage the turtle.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

How did you manage that? Incite only gives you +2 to bring you up to PS 20 since you can’t Enrage the turtle.

Was talking about the Supreme Guardian, Incite to 20, Stone's Wrath from a Novititate to 22. Can't do five dice on the turtle either, Guardian gets it from Siege Weapon on the big sword+Divine Inspiration (roll five discard the lowest). The potential output on the SG is really nasty, he's a killer vs other huge bases of course* and he has what is for my money the meanest Thresher in the game as well. That Thresher is hitting as hard and accurately as anything else (only a couple character heavies like Beast 09 are really comparable) plus it's 3 inches off a huge base making it far more massive than even a Sweep from a Colossal.

*and can take a chunk out of everything else even without the extra dice, being essentially base POW 20 plus Divine Inspiration is bonkers, then he gets up to 4 attacks with souls.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 19, 2019

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Sorry misread it. The SG is awesome.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

X-POST~

Alokgen posted:

First completed mini of the year. Really looking forward to growing as a painter technically and professionally this year.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

This is absolutely fantastic. You're not kidding about the pro part.