Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Left-wing talk radio is a limited market because the form naturally satisfies the emotional needs of conservatives more easily than leftists—the population of left-liberals who derive pleasure from being whipped up into blind hatred of Mitch McConnell has to be relatively small, and most such people would adapt themselves to getting a fix from Rush et al one way or another.

Yeah, when I used to anger my blood up in the morning, it was by reading the National Review online. I don't know what insights there are to be gleaned from this difference in psychology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

CheeseSpawn posted:

TMR is kinda like the every day IRL CSPAM lite news channel. The interviews are interesting at times but they can be redundant stuff. They occasionally dip into culture war stuff like Jordan Peterson, Shapiro, Elon, Dave Rubin etc but their focus is political. If people have not been watching, they will sate your in between podcast fix since they do a show everyday.

Fixed

michael brooks talk with sargon during his height of popularity is an amusing watch

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Thanks, that was a pretty embarrassing brainfart. Speaking of the bad Brooks, Matt Taibbi has been on TMBS a few times and they always dig into some David Brooks thought in those episodes.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Is this the thread to talk about how much of a stupid piece of poo poo David Brooks is, or can someone link me to the appropriate thread? Because David Brooks is a terrible fuckin' person.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Hellsau posted:

Is this the thread to talk about how much of a stupid piece of poo poo David Brooks is, or can someone link me to the appropriate thread? Because David Brooks is a terrible fuckin' person.

Close enough, David Brooks is indeed a massive piece of poo poo.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm a huge Majority Report fan and I think Sam Seder's debates with libertarians are a must-watch if you're into that sort of thing. Most recently he went on the show of Brandon Straka the guy who started the #WalkAway hashtag and after that conversation it's no small wonder marketplace of ideas lovers like Crowder and Rubin avoid his name like the plague.

The Ninth Layer has issued a correction as of 21:47 on Jan 16, 2019

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
lmao @ the crowder story

looks like rhandi rhodes is still on the air and doing podcasts. ill have to sign up for majority reprot and her show sometime soon once i finish burning through all my dollop podcasts.

i liked air america, especially mike malloy at night because he was like your super pissed off liberal uncle. he kept saying that bush jr. used a presidential port-o-potty because they didnt want other nations finding out how much coke he did on the reg.

although toward the end of it i knew air america was doomed when they started playing anti-prop 8 (the gay marriage bill in california) ads

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Left-wing talk radio is a limited market because the form naturally satisfies the emotional needs of conservatives more easily than leftists—the population of left-liberals who derive pleasure from being whipped up into blind hatred of Mitch McConnell has to be relatively small, and most such people would adapt themselves to getting a fix from Rush et al one way or another.

I would find it torturous to spend hours listening to angry people repeat my own values back to me.
just lol if you don't listen to old radio broadcasts of enver hoxha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psuz8pVguwk

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

hmm probably. i remember studying the legal history of cross burnings and the general idea is that it needs to (first of all) generally be on private property and (second of all) cannot be done with an intent to intimidate in a direct, provable sense. there was a case in which a klan group burned a cross on their property at night and the light shone through some trees so people could see it while driving down a nearby highway (unbeknownst to the klan -- at least they claimed this in court). the klan was charged with violating an anti-intimidation statute but the case was tossed out by the supreme court because of the particular circumstances.

The ruling was that you can criminalize cross burning with intent to intimidate, but that it's a 1A violation to criminalize it and say it's inherently intimidating.

I would find it torturous to spend hours listening to angry people repeat my own values back to me.
A left wing "Equivalent" would basically be Chapo Trap House all day, every day.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Peanut Butler posted:

I remember him from Home Movies and Majority Report on Air America

Oh my god he was Fenton, that rules

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Lmao when my boyfriend pressed me about why I didn't want to play it online and followed it with "But you can make the avatar look like you, and you love that poo poo...!". It took some seconds of silence and a good amount of side eye before he went "Oh. Oh my god no. Really???"
He is too pure for this world.
I saw a lot of lovely comments from so called woke people in these forums about how she deserved it because she clearly held the same views as him. It made me so unbelievably sad so it's great to find this article. Thank you!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Oh my god he was Fenton, that rules

jolly jeepers ain't it great, fenton muelly's fighting hate

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

The KKK in the game is the most unauthentic part of the game. They were not that far out west yet.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1085665007239614466

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Crowsbeak posted:

The KKK in the game is the most unauthentic part of the game. They were not that far out west yet.

they never really left much of a legacy in the part of the former wild west I live in but this is the state founded on killing slavers, where our many conservatives bend over backwards to convince themselves that such as austerity isn't racist

e: John Brown's Border War game right tf now, please

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Crowsbeak posted:

the kkk is in the louisiana knockoff state.

more specifically the rural area place that replicates north louisiana and mississippi, where there definitely was kkk. though by the year the game is set (1899 or something) the kkk had basically disappeared until Birth of a Nation

Sheng-Ji Yang has issued a correction as of 00:15 on Jan 17, 2019

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm a huge Majority Report fan and I think Sam Seder's debates with libertarians are a must-watch if you're into that sort of thing. Most recently he went on the show of Brandon Straka the guy who started the #WalkAway hashtag and after that conversation it's no small wonder marketplace of ideas lovers like Crowder and Rubin avoid his name like the plague.

are you sure it isn't just an hour and a half of screaming?

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Hellsau posted:

I think the succdem topic got turned into the Democrat primary topic, but that would have been the place.

For no particular reason, I choose to include a link in this post to the most recent drivel of his that I've experienced: this ream of "third-way" sophistry whereby we must steel ourselves against any kind of commitment or action and instead frown very, VERY hard until corporations learn the value of respect and honor.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

any discussion involving Third Way is a fine opportunity to recommend everybody read The Third Way Safari which will tell you everything you need to know about their worldview

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Epic High Five posted:

are you sure it isn't just an hour and a half of screaming?

lmao

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
https://twitter.com/EmilyGorcenski/status/1085665130422173696?s=19

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Epic High Five posted:

any discussion involving Third Way is a fine opportunity to recommend everybody read The Third Way Safari which will tell you everything you need to know about their worldview

I highly second this, this article is one of the things that helped reshape my politics last year.

Carl Von Awesomwitz
May 2, 2006

Sisko Lied, Romulans Died

Left-wing talk radio when I listened to it in 2008 was more or less audio-only MSNBC but if you could call in and clumsily repeat back DNC talking points to the dumbass host. It deserved to die.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://twitter.com/MDConTwitch/status/1085667822896861189

"actually is is not at all google's fault they built a search algorithm that promotes nazi murder cults"

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

420 Gank Mid posted:

https://twitter.com/MDConTwitch/status/1085667822896861189

"actually is is not at all google's fault they built a search algorithm that promotes nazi murder cults"

It's...not? It's like when you Google "worthless piece of poo poo" and Donald Trump is the top image result. (I don't know if this works or not.) What are they supposed to do?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

also it doesn't take much for a leftist to get and stay mad at bad things, while it must be constantly reinforced for the right before they get distracted by jangling keys

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Norton the First posted:

It's...not? It's like when you Google "worthless piece of poo poo" and Donald Trump is the top image result. (I don't know if this works or not.) What are they supposed to do?

It doesn't work and if it did it also wouldn't be facilitating recruitment for a Nazi terror group, which should probably be at least somewhat of a priority for weeding out when your search engine is making suggestions.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I guess my question is how Google is supposed to be curating searches on a day-to-day basis.

e: like maybe there's a list of key words that are given particular treatment, so there's no predictive searching for "atomwaffen." But I'd really want Google to be open and transparent about that. And once they reach the point where they say "yeah we're not gonna help you figure out how to join atomwaffen" a fascist is just gonna type in "how to join atomwaffen" to Bing.

Norton the First has issued a correction as of 01:47 on Jan 17, 2019

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Spencer is exactly the kind of person you think he is. I'm glad he's most known for being punched.

quote:

He’s leaning forward over the table now. His dapper hair is falling into his face. He asks me where I went to school and what my graduate degree is in and smirks when I tell him about my MFA in creative writing.

This is the cycle. I ask about the abuse; he tells me there is a greater context. I ask what context justifies the words he’s not denying. He insists I’m being unreasonable; I ask again. He tells me he’s a victim. He’s left her five times. And where is the crime in what he did?

According to Montana law, a “person who purposefully aids or solicits another to commit suicide, but such suicide does not occur, commits the offense of aiding or soliciting suicide.”

He demands to go off the record.

When we go back on the record, he apologizes for what he’s said during that time. “Look, I take back anything that you might have taken as an insult,” he says. He was just frustrated, after all. I made him frustrated.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

how is it possible to this bad at wearing hats

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
how to join atomwaffen

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
sorry. i'm sorry. i'm trying to remove it

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Norton the First posted:

I guess my question is how Google is supposed to be curating searches on a day-to-day basis.

e: like maybe there's a list of key words that are given particular treatment, so there's no predictive searching for "atomwaffen." But I'd really want Google to be open and transparent about that. And once they reach the point where they say "yeah we're not gonna help you figure out how to join atomwaffen" a fascist is just gonna type in "how to join atomwaffen" to Bing.

1) They could take a tiny slice of their Olympus Mons sized pile of money and pay a few people to look into "what actual terror groups with body counts are trying to game our technology to boost recruitment?" instead of relying on a math problem to figure it out. Hell if they've got 50k sitting around I'll do it for a whole year.

2) Sounds like a fine start to me

3) who cares, if Bing and Microsoft want to be the official Nazi search engine they're certainly welcome to see what comes of it.

Intel&Sebastian has issued a correction as of 02:03 on Jan 17, 2019

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Frankly I'm not even 100% against the idea that if you type "HOW DO I JOIN THE NAZI KILLER GUYS" into google that google should hide that from you.

I am 100% against the stupid rear end algorithm suggestion poo poo that actively asks random people if they'd like to join the Nazi killer guys, or automatically sends children on video binge journeys into the wonderful world of gamergate because they clicked on a minecraft music video for Baby Shark.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

if you can't curate it, then I guess you don't get to loving own it, bougie scum

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Grondoth posted:

Spencer is exactly the kind of person you think he is. I'm glad he's most known for being punched.

It was good that he got punched, it'd be better if it happened more frequently.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It was good that he got punched, it'd be better if it happened more frequently.

Every day

Flavius Aetass posted:

how to join atomwaffen

Grondoth has issued a correction as of 02:08 on Jan 17, 2019

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If being on SA versus being on the rest of the internet teaches you anything it should be that even lazy, lovely moderation by a severely outnumbered set of actual humans improves things drastically.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Frankly I'm not even 100% against the idea that if you type "HOW DO I JOIN THE NAZI KILLER GUYS" into google that google should hide that from you.

Disagree. Practically everything I know about everything comes from Google searches. If they're going to deliberately hide things, they need to be forthright about exactly what they're hiding and why. I would much rather an AI pop up some words it doesn't understand than Google, a firm with no qualms about working with repressive governments, set up teams to work behind the curtains to decide what people should be allowed to find.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

If being on SA versus being on the rest of the internet teaches you anything it should be that even lazy, lovely moderation by a severely outnumbered set of actual humans improves things drastically.

I don't think you understand Google's scale, at all. A Google representative recently had to explain this in Congress to Steve King when he was complaining about how negative searches are linked to Republicans, it's worth a watch.

Norton the First has issued a correction as of 02:14 on Jan 17, 2019