Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Would the pressure experienced by the food differ much? I feel like the pressure from the water is the big term in that equation, but IDK what the equation actually is.

Depends on how deep the food is immersed. With a bit of Wolfram Alpha and Google I figured 5 inches of water is 0.012 bar while going 6500 feet up reduces atmospheric pressure by 0.21 bar. So it's feeling less pressure, but does it change the steak? Probably not significantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Would you get more evaporation of water at high altitude at any given temp, resulting in a drier steak?

Edit: now realize this is opposite of the problem he described.

If you're evaporating water through your bag you've got some weird and serious problems, if anything most people are more water about leaks allowing the bath water IN.

If you expect a certain done-ness from a certain temperature and are disappointed then you can check if the water temp is what your circulator thinks it is, make sure you have good circulation in the vessel (no hot/cold spots), or do what I'd probably do and just crank it a few extra degrees next time and be perplexed when it comes out overdone.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Subjunctive posted:

Would the pressure experienced by the food differ much? I feel like the pressure from the water is the big term in that equation, but IDK what the equation actually is.

Pressure goes up by about 14.6 psi per 10 meters of water. So unless you've got a really deep cooker setup, the water pressure isn't contributing much.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Feenix posted:

Gonna puddle an Akaushi Wagyu NY Strip Tomorrow. I'm already salivating.

Going to suggest you don't. Ultra-marbled Wagyu steaks seem to brown and conduct heat internally super well. Unless this is 2"+ thick cut or not actually that marbled, straight up pan searing can both produce an excellent crust and fully cook the meat on its own, no need to sous vide. Ultra-marbled BMS 10+ cuts are some of the easiest cuts to cook and ultra-hard to gently caress up, so you'll probably do fine with sous vide, but I'd worry about overcooking on the sear to get a proper nice crust unless you got your sear game down really well. I'll admit I'm biased against sous vide for most beef except tenderloin as being a sub-par technique compared to roasting, smoking, and/or searing depending on the cut.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Subjunctive posted:

Assuming everything else remains the same (e.g. the size of the water bath and the depth of immersion) the difference in pressure (between e.g. sea level and 1200 m or whatever) will be precisely the same whether something is submerged or sitting on the counter, assuming the surface of the water is exposed to ambient air pressure.

The vast majority of pressure felt by most objects exposed to the atmosphere is due to the (several kilometers tall) column of air they're sitting under, unless you happen to be in orbit, on the sea bed, in a pressure cooker, or something silly like that.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

baquerd posted:

Going to suggest you don't. Ultra-marbled Wagyu steaks seem to brown and conduct heat internally super well. Unless this is 2"+ thick cut or not actually that marbled, straight up pan searing can both produce an excellent crust and fully cook the meat on its own, no need to sous vide. Ultra-marbled BMS 10+ cuts are some of the easiest cuts to cook and ultra-hard to gently caress up, so you'll probably do fine with sous vide, but I'd worry about overcooking on the sear to get a proper nice crust unless you got your sear game down really well. I'll admit I'm biased against sous vide for most beef except tenderloin as being a sub-par technique compared to roasting, smoking, and/or searing depending on the cut.

Seconded. I can't see how you could properly finish the steak during the sear. I'm interested in hearing how you planned on cooking it though, as perhaps we are missing sonething.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

baquerd posted:

Appreciate the look out, but I did this once before... it turned out magnificent. It’s at least 1.5”. I like the Sous vide way well enough... and I go light on the temp so as to not overcook in the sear.

My seat game is strong enough. :)

ada shatan posted:

Seconded. I can't see how you could properly finish the steak during the sear. I'm interested in hearing how you planned on cooking it though, as perhaps we are missing sonething.

I use a MAPP Torch with a heat shrink head. I have solid results with it, typically.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 8, 2019

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!

Hasselblad posted:

Question:
I picked up a Morton's Steak House tri tip. Would it be a good candidate for a 72 hour bath?

I do tri tip quite often and usually do around 12 hours at like 131-134 depending on the marbling but also live in tri tip county so costco and even grocery stores carry prime ones. I've done up to 48 hours and everyone felt it was a little too roast like, when locally there is an expectation of it having a steak texture since most people grill it over oak here. It wasn't bad by any means though. Give it try and report back. If you haven't cooked a lot of them take a minute and look at the grain of the meat too when it comes to carving time it changes from one direction to the other going from the thin to thicker part.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Totally Reasonable posted:

I remember a period right after I got the Anova where I thought it was undercooking beef a lot. It turns out I just wasn't very obsessive about temperature before, and my standard "medium rare" was a lot closer to medium than I thought.

Makes sense.

OK, another question:
When smoking brisket one usually targets around 200-205F internal to get the softening of the meat. When sous vide brisket they specify a lot lower temp of 135F. I guess my question is this: how does that work? Does the time trump the temp?

biggfoo posted:

I do tri tip quite often and usually do around 12 hours at like 131-134 depending on the marbling but also live in tri tip county so costco and even grocery stores carry prime ones. I've done up to 48 hours and everyone felt it was a little too roast like, when locally there is an expectation of it having a steak texture since most people grill it over oak here. It wasn't bad by any means though. Give it try and report back. If you haven't cooked a lot of them take a minute and look at the grain of the meat too when it comes to carving time it changes from one direction to the other going from the thin to thicker part.

Was considering tossing it in the bath without opening the package and so was wondering what risk there might be cooking in the original package like that. I guess I could just transfer it out of the original pack and into a vac seal of my own.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 9, 2019

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hasselblad posted:

Makes sense.

OK, another question:
When smoking brisket one usually targets around 200-205F internal to get the softening of the meat. When sous vide brisket they specify a lot lower temp of 135F. I guess my question is this: how does that work? Does the time trump the temp?

What you’re trying to do while cooking a piece of meat like this is convert the tough collagen holding it all together into sticky melt in your mouth gelatin. That’s a function of time and temperature. The conversion happens faster at higher temps, but it still happens at lower temps. So with a long cook in a water bath you can convert the collagen to gelatin just the same while also keeping the meat medium rare, it just takes longer.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

What you’re trying to do while cooking a piece of meat like this is convert the tough collagen holding it all together into sticky melt in your mouth gelatin. That’s a function of time and temperature. The conversion happens faster at higher temps, but it still happens at lower temps. So with a long cook in a water bath you can convert the collagen to gelatin just the same while also keeping the meat medium rare, it just takes longer.

Ah. Sounds good.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

And this is why a 24 hour corned beef is goddamn magical.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Holy crap, why didn't I think of that?! Most of what I'm seeing is 48 hours at 135. What did you put in the bag? I like the sound of stout beer and pickling spice and onion

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you put in beer make sure to also put in a decent amount of salt, or the flavour exchange will be mostly out of the meat and into the beer

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Sentient Data posted:

Holy crap, why didn't I think of that?! Most of what I'm seeing is 48 hours at 135. What did you put in the bag? I like the sound of stout beer and pickling spice and onion

Or 48. That works.

I got real fancy once and just put the crappy spices they included once.

They were both excellent, just beef marinating in its own broken down collagen is loving fantastic.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Akaushi Wagyu Ny Strip. 1lb

Salted, peppered, let sit for 15 min...vacuum-sealed.
Puddled @132 for 2.5 hrs
Ice-bath. Par dry, and seared in sizzling avocado oil, butter and garlic.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Bought a ton of boneless pork chops from Costco with the intention of freezing and SV’ing throughout the next week or two. Do I season the meat and freeze it with all the seasonings already in the bag? Or do I freeze it as is and throw the seasonings in with the frozen meat before puddling?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Hi! I bought an anova recently. What's the best stuff to make as a first foray into SV? Thinking some cut of steak obvs.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I like the ease at which you can do temperamental egg dishes/custards. Lemon curd or Creme Brulee. I'd also suggest this cook book which I got with mine for Christmas 2yrs ago. Sous Vide at home https://www.amazon.com/Sous-Vide-Home-Technique-Perfectly/dp/0399578064/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1547437472&sr=8-3&keywords=sous+vide+at+home

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

M42 posted:

Hi! I bought an anova recently. What's the best stuff to make as a first foray into SV? Thinking some cut of steak obvs.

Hard boiled eggs.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

M42 posted:

Easiest first foray is a ny strip into a ziplock (google water immersion technique) for 2 hours at like 130 (if you like medium rare.) add 10 degrees for medium. (But why??)

Aim for something like 1.5 inches. Oh make sure to Salt it and let it sit for like 15 min

Ice bath the bag at 2 hours. (Just for a min)
Pat dry with paper towels (the meat not the bag ;) )
Sear on a super hot skillet with a high smoke oil or ghee

30s to 1 min a side.

EAT!

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

M42 posted:

Beef short ribs (plate/English cut, not flanken/cross cut. I recommend the 144F for 48 hours recipe. Season with salt and pepper before you bag them.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/beef-short-ribs-your-way

After they finish, pat them dry with a paper towel, and sear them as hot and fast as you can on a grill/pan (700F for 30 seconds per side is ideal).

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

OldSenileGuy posted:

Bought a ton of boneless pork chops from Costco with the intention of freezing and SV’ing throughout the next week or two. Do I season the meat and freeze it with all the seasonings already in the bag? Or do I freeze it as is and throw the seasonings in with the frozen meat before puddling?

That is how I have begun to do my large purchases like from Costco. I see no reason how it could be anything but a Good Thing To Do.
Do they blade tenderize the chop pork?

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

M42 posted:

Chicken breasts are super easy and way better than any other method of cooking them. Pork chops for the same reason, can safely eat them medium

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Hasselblad posted:

That is how I have begun to do my large purchases like from Costco. I see no reason how it could be anything but a Good Thing To Do.
Do they blade tenderize the chop pork?

Salting before freezing can affect texture. Hearsay though as I've never done it.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Salting before freezing can affect texture. Hearsay though as I've never done it.

I cannot imagine salt would do anything internally while the meat is a block of ice.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Thanks yall! I’m so excited to try them all!

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Hasselblad posted:

I cannot imagine salt would do anything internally while the meat is a block of ice.
salt can pull moisture from the meat and cause the fat to oxidize faster when frozen

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hasselblad posted:

Salt lowers the freezing point so it will actually turn the surface ice liquid and pull out moisture that way.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Nothing related to salting. But, I've noticed cooking texture difference when cooking from frozen vs thawed/fresh with chicken so something to consider.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Can I MAPP torch chicken breasts to sear?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

sterster posted:

Nothing related to salting. But, I've noticed cooking texture difference when cooking from frozen vs thawed/fresh with chicken so something to consider.

Speaking of chicken: boneless thighs are not worth puddling. Came out rubbery as hell. Breast should be better.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Hasselblad posted:

Speaking of chicken: boneless thighs are not worth puddling. Came out rubbery as hell. Breast should be better.

What temp and time have you done? 155 for a few hours has been my chicken sweet spot, anything lower and it comes out tasting underdone.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Feenix posted:

Easiest first foray is a ny strip into a ziplock (google water immersion technique) for 2 hours at like 130 (if you like medium rare.) add 10 degrees for medium. (But why??)

Aim for something like 1.5 inches. Oh make sure to Salt it and let it sit for like 15 min

Ice bath the bag at 2 hours. (Just for a min)
Pat dry with paper towels (the meat not the bag ;) )
Sear on a super hot skillet with a high smoke oil or ghee

30s to 1 min a side.

EAT!

I will add a couple things to this. The first is that I find most steak cuts seem to benefit a bit from cooking for 4+ hours. That extra time breaks down them meat a little more and makes it extra tender.

The second is that if you are browning with ghee you should pour the ghee from the pan on top of your steak. The extra fat really adds a lot of flavor to leaner cuts.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Bought some pork chops for the weekend and figured I could throw them in the sous-vide (because I don't do enough with that thing), but a quick google for recipes regarding temp etc. all suggest thicker pork chops than what I have. I presume I can still follow the temp guidelines, but do I need to mess with the times (i.e. shorter to account for thinner meat) or can I just use them the same way as the thicker ones and they'll come out okay?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

You can use the same times. It takes a significantly longer time to make a difference, i.e. from tender to mushy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BeastOfExmoor posted:

The first is that I find most steak cuts seem to benefit a bit from cooking for 4+ hours.

I think you may be an outlier here.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Subjunctive posted:

I think you may be an outlier here.

I don’t like how the texture starts getting after 4. Learned that early and avoided it since. (Talking steaks and stuff...)
But a thicker cut definitely should go well more than an hour. Usually at least 2, minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I did a whole turkey for Thanksgiving (put the whole turkey in a bag, 24 hours), and I will never not do it that way again. Was like the easiest thing.