Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

dishwasherlove posted:

OK, according to the thread cycle it we should be up to talking about physical game weight and cereal cardboard.

Do I talk about my plans for a bespoke wooden TGZ between the two or after cereal box?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Only if you can weigh it and provide that measurement in relation to the original box.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Anyone know where I could get more of the dry erase markers like the ones in Captain Sonar with an eraser on the other end? Or failing that just some thin ones like that? Everything I can find locally are the huge white board markers and I want some more thin ones for games like Pictomania.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I got some fine point Expos at Target and hot-glued felt to the caps for erasers.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

It's good to know that humans still play board games in the distant future

1-3 scenarios almost every day for the entire summer. I think technically there were maybe 3 we didn't do from the book or the bonus stuff like the Kickstarter campaigns. I'd still say we played over 100 rounds of it given a couple defeats and some random dungeons. So much Gloomin'.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Kerro posted:

Anyone know where I could get more of the dry erase markers like the ones in Captain Sonar with an eraser on the other end? Or failing that just some thin ones like that? Everything I can find locally are the huge white board markers and I want some more thin ones for games like Pictomania.

These look almost exactly like the ones that are in a lot of board games.

https://www.amazon.com/RETON-Rewritable-Magnetic-Markers-Eraser/dp/B075PDZWM5/

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I can preorder Concordia Venus for pretty much the same price as base Concordia. I was really hoping my resolution would survive until at least the end of January!

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

SynthesisAlpha posted:

1-3 scenarios almost every day for the entire summer. I think technically there were maybe 3 we didn't do from the book or the bonus stuff like the Kickstarter campaigns. I'd still say we played over 100 rounds of it given a couple defeats and some random dungeons. So much Gloomin'.

Did that burn you out on it at all? Asking as someone with a little buyers remorse. I mean the long setup doesn't bother me at all but we've only managed the first few scenarios before going back to wargames.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

I think abstract v. thematic in board games often hinges on whether the theme is there to support or justify the mechanics, or vice versa.

edit: this thread can move fast.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Jewmanji posted:

I’m devastated that they couldn’t retain the original artwork. I think I’d legit pay $25 each for any new tree types.

I like the new trees - they're far more distinct from each other, and easier to tell apart. I remember two in the original version (the dogwood and...some other black/grey tree) that I always confused each other for.

Bottom Liner posted:

I actually hate the foil Arboretum cards. They make it much harder to read on the table because instead of distinct colors the paths turn into a rainbow oil-in-water effect. My friend fixed it somewhat with matte sleeves but ugh. I’d much prefer higher quality cards, maybe even the thin PVC style or something to compliment the wooden box.

I'm of mixed opinion on them. The fact that the backgrounds, but not the trees themselves, are shiny make the trees stand out enough for me as I glance at the table. I had my first game with the deluxe edition yesterday and I didn't have too much of a problem with it.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing a game with the regular cards to compare.

My real regret is putting up my original edition Arboretum for $10. Got four people offering to buy it from me, and I knew I hadn't priced it high enough.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Deluxe arboretum should’ve used clear plastic cards like Gloom. Could’ve played with a nice generic background to mask all the tree types. But foil is nice.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I'm mildly annoyed that the cards aren't square shaped, like they should be. Would make for a much cleaner looking tree canopy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Morpheus posted:

I'm mildly annoyed that the cards aren't square shaped, like they should be. Would make for a much cleaner looking tree canopy.

I wish square cards were much more common in general. Especially for tableau games as you mentioned.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Clear plastic cards always make me miss Hecatomb. :( Too weird for this world.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Also I've been solidifying a list of games to play with a standard deck I keep in my bag when traveling and here's the list I've come up with.

ONUW - Jokers are wolves, face cards are roles. App runs the game.

Skull - 3 red cards, 1 black to each player. reds are roses, blacks are skulls

The Resistance - Face cards are roles, red for resistance black for spies. Red number cards for voting yes/pass and black for no/fail.

Battleline/Schotten Totten lite - Remove 10s-Aces, use 5 face down for totems. Play best of 3 on the totems with 1-9 cards and jokers for wild tactics.

High Society lite - Face cards are luxuries deck - 3x Jacks for 3pts each, 2x Q for 6 pts, 1x K for 9 pts, 1x A for 11 pts. Jokers are 1/2 score, game ends when 2nd joker revealed. Each player gets 1-10 in a suit for bidding.

The last two work surprisingly well and really capture the essence of the original while being as simple as any traditional card game you can teach anyone. I'm open to more suggestions too. It was actually pretty fun to figure out how to make the last two work without dumbing them down too much.

The cards I have are the Bicycle Prestige, which are thin like paper but 100% plastic and feel amazing to shuffle. If you've played the Spaceteam card game they use the same material. They're water proof, bend proof, and even tear proof.

https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Prestige-Plastic-Playing-Cards/dp/B0789DV95Y

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

food court bailiff posted:

Clear plastic cards always make me miss Hecatomb. :( Too weird for this world.

A guy I used to know loved Hecatomb and ordered whole boxes of the hard to find (in the UK) expansions from the States. When he opened the boosters all the cards shattered because they'd frozen in transit.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Jedit posted:

A guy I used to know loved Hecatomb and ordered whole boxes of the hard to find (in the UK) expansions from the States. When he opened the boosters all the cards shattered because they'd frozen in transit.

I just imagine him running his hands through these powdered shards, weeping as he tries to pick them up and they slip between his fingers.

"But...but I had time now! I had time!"

Edit: Don't get me wrong that sucks. Like, I tried to order the Archipelago single player expansion from the only seller that had it on Amazon, some third party chinese dealer, and a month after it was supposed to have arrived, with no delivery in site, I decided I was just never going to be able to play it.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Anyone going to Geekway Mini this weekend? Or Geekway to the West in May?

I'm heading down to St. Louis tomorrow morning to start setting up for mini, and the board is hard at work getting everything planned for May. It's going to be a great time, and it's easily one of the best board game conventions around.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Frozen Peach posted:

I'm heading down to St. Louis tomorrow morning to start setting up for mini, and the board is hard at work getting everything planned for May. It's going to be a great time, and it's easily one of the best board game conventions around.

I'm tentatively coming to the May one :)

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Bottom Liner posted:

The last two work surprisingly well and really capture the essence of the original while being as simple as any traditional card game you can teach anyone. I'm open to more suggestions too. It was actually pretty fun to figure out how to make the last two work without dumbing them down too much.
I played a bunch of love letters using a regular deck of cards when I was at a festival and forgot to pack things properly. You might need to write up a cheat sheet for anyone not that experienced with the game but it works well enough.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

deadwing posted:

These look almost exactly like the ones that are in a lot of board games.

https://www.amazon.com/RETON-Rewritable-Magnetic-Markers-Eraser/dp/B075PDZWM5/

Awesome thanks, that looks perfect.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Sleekly posted:

Did that burn you out on it at all? Asking as someone with a little buyers remorse. I mean the long setup doesn't bother me at all but we've only managed the first few scenarios before going back to wargames.

Not at all, with good organization, setup and breakdown was barely five minutes each. We honestly just ran out of content. A full campaign, then every missed scenario in casual mode, and some randoms.

Part of it is having unlocked every class and having prosperity 7. The unlocking of stuff is such a huge thrill that when there's nothing left it steals a lot of thunder.

Gloomhaven hit pretty much every button for both my family and gaming group. It really warms up once you start levelling up and especially after your first retirement.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm tentatively coming to the May one :)

Awesome! Hope to see you there!

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm open to more suggestions too. It was actually pretty fun to figure out how to make the last two work without dumbing them down too much.

The cards I have are the Bicycle Prestige, which are thin like paper but 100% plastic and feel amazing to shuffle. If you've played the Spaceteam card game they use the same material. They're water proof, bend proof, and even tear proof.

https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Prestige-Plastic-Playing-Cards/dp/B0789DV95Y

If you're rolling solo Sid Sackson's Bowling Solitaire is pretty engaging and you can play competitively if you want. Probably not more than 2 though.

If you rank the suits 1-4 you could easily play The Mind (Lite) too, I guess.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Tichu works with 4 Jokers. You're 4 cards short for Wizard. Most traditional-feeling games use modified decks, sadly.

You could also play Krass Kariert, which i tried recently because it won the Fairplay magazine card game of the year. It's a climbing game with Bohnanza hand managment. You can only play cards that are next to each other, so you need to create new combinations by playing the inbetween cards. It's weird because you can get better at it, but it doesnt feel competetive due to there only being one loser. I'm not in love with it but its definitly worth a try, just to see how designers can still breath new life into traditional mechanisms.

There rules here for anyone interested: https://www.amigo-spiele.de/spiel/krass-kariert#1441873892000-b4b4e996-942a

discount cathouse fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 16, 2019

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Not at all, with good organization, setup and breakdown was barely five minutes each. We honestly just ran out of content. A full campaign, then every missed scenario in casual mode, and some randoms.

Part of it is having unlocked every class and having prosperity 7. The unlocking of stuff is such a huge thrill that when there's nothing left it steals a lot of thunder.

Gloomhaven hit pretty much every button for both my family and gaming group. It really warms up once you start levelling up and especially after your first retirement.

Thanks, interest successfully rejuvenated.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Frozen Peach posted:

I run a comic/game shop in the area and I'm going to try to be there, it'll be my first time.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

hey any interest in playing root online via vassal/tts this weekend btw?

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Frozen Peach posted:

I only went once and that was when I was working with MM, but man it's pretty wild. It's a really nice convention with really nice folks and then enthusiasm is infectious. Where is the mini one being held?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Bottom Liner posted:

Also I've been solidifying a list of games to play with a standard deck I keep in my bag when traveling and here's the list I've come up with.

A: I assume you saw that article Meeple Like Us shared, with recommendations for the best classic card games?

B: My travel pack includes a standard deck of cards, but also a Rage deck. I've never used it to play Rage, but I have used it to play Lost Cities, Schotten Totten, Arboretum(two players), Parade, Coup, Skull, Sticheln, and The Fox in the Forest. It needs modification to be colorblind-friendly.

I'm considering adding a copy of The Game with the new, prettier art, so I can also play The Game, The Mind, No Thanks, and 6 Nimmt.

...umm, speaking of colorblind-friendly, can anyone link me a good source for colored wooden discs? I managed to find a flaw in Blue Lagoon.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I haven’t seen that but I’ll take a look, thanks. In this process I also developed a new trick taking game for 2-3 that I’ll share the rules for when I get a second.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Triple-Kan posted:

I only went once and that was when I was working with MM, but man it's pretty wild. It's a really nice convention with really nice folks and then enthusiasm is infectious. Where is the mini one being held?

Mini's at Sheraton Westport Chalet, but it's been sold out since 3 seconds after tickets went on sale.

I've been going to Geekway for 5-6 years now, but this is the first year I'm on the board and helping run things. I'm really excited. Everyone on the board is amazing.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

StashAugustine posted:

hey any interest in playing root online via vassal/tts this weekend btw?

This is tempting.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Cole was on a podcast doing a deep dive on Root's design. Lot's of good insight to his design approach and stuff in there. Favorite part was when he explained why Riverfolk are his favorite and least favorite part of the game and how he considers them to work great 50% of the time.

http://thegamedesignroundtable.com/

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Finally picked up Teotihuacan, got it learned tonight and am playing it tomorrow with my group. Been trying to get a game of this in for 6+ months including four major conventions (Origins, Gen Con, BGG, PAX U) and it just never worked out, so my hype levels are probably a little abnormally high, but I'll be honest, the rules on the surface have me super pumped and I have a good feeling it's going to be a great fit with my group.

Anyone who has played it, anything I should keep an eye out for in terms of rules or things overlooked?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Unfortunately I posted this image on FB and it won't let it go but you should print this out for everyone and it will help tremendously.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Mayveena posted:

Unfortunately I posted this image on FB and it won't let it go but you should print this out for everyone and it will help tremendously.

Yeah this is great, my first playthrough I forgot to look at tech benefits each turn because there is so much going on. That along with progressing up tracks and remembering to power up workers were the things that I had to remind myself.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

So I might have bitten off more than I can chew and ended up getting a trade for a complete Battlelore 2nd edition collection. I like the C&C system and have enjoyed Ancients in my two plays but this will get a lot more tabletime with friends that have no interest in traditional wargames. This is also going to be a whole lot of Stuff to organize and store. Any tips? The setup/scenario system looks really neat, I remember SVWAG talking it up as being a welcome change from other C&C games as well.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Frozen Peach posted:

Me and a couple other goons will be there!

Somberbrero posted:

I run a comic/game shop in the area and I'm going to try to be there, it'll be my first time.

Oh dang which? We're also in the area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

complete Battlelore 2nd edition collection.

A complete Battlelore 2nd Edition is the most expensive game on my shelf of shame. At least 200+ dollars of paperweight. You reminded me I gotta pull it down and force it on people now.