Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Shame Boy posted:

Hey now the only time Big Clive sold out was when he realized he could get a company to send him a free LED streetlight to take apart :colbert:

Or actually there was that other time he was given a neat lamp that looks like a flame to "review" and he took it apart because that's what he does, and the company freaked the hell out and demanded he take the video down because ~trade secrets~ and their sales immediately tanked when he did :laugh:

If you have trade secrets that can be figured out by purchasing one of your items and taking it apart, then they are definitely not a secret from any actual competitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Day Man posted:

If you have trade secrets that can be figured out by purchasing one of your items and taking it apart, then they are definitely not a secret from any actual competitor.

Yeah, it was incredibly obvious how the thing worked too - Clive figured it out after like 10 minutes of cursory examination. It wasn't like, a pre-release version or anything either, so I'm really not sure what they hoped to accomplish by demanding he remove the video...

I assume their marketing team was like "find us internet people that are into LED lights!" and Clive was right at the top of the list, so they contacted him... without actually watching any of his stuff, because he takes something apart in every single video.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
That can't be real.

Or

That sucks. It's always hotter when the stripper's crying.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It's by an artist, but the photo that's gone minorly viral is by some random who saw her sticker

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
NOT

Objurium posted:

SHOT's gonna be great!

:stare:

AFTER

Objurium posted:

Like, I guess? But in a separate email they also made sure to let me know what they think of the OTHER bandwagon backpack armor companies.

"Ballistic airplane cockpit doors since 1992 - NOT after 9/11" :smuggo:

PARKLAND

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Not sure if this is the exact place but does anyone have recommending reading on the history of Corporate Ethics?

As in, what are examples where corporations decide to do or not to do something despite profits because it was unethical.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Not sure if this is the exact place but does anyone have recommending reading on the history of Corporate Ethics?

As in, what are examples where corporations decide to do or not to do something despite profits because it was unethical.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Tab8715 posted:

Penicillin wasn't patented.

That's all I got.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Costco doesn't treat their employees like total poo poo and is often used as the example of an "ethical" company but still pays people $11/hour while the company makes $4b profit and the CEO gets paid $7.4m a year.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Powershift posted:

Costco doesn't treat their employees like total poo poo and is often used as the example of an "ethical" company but still pays people $11/hour while the company makes $4b profit and the CEO gets paid $7.4m a year.

and they bust unions

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Powershift posted:

Hmm I thought they all paid higher than that as a minimum? Like 15? guess not.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

actionjackson posted:

I was making 14.50 there as a seasonal in the deli over the holidays, and apparently the floor and register people get 14.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

actionjackson posted:

Their minimum wage is $14/hr, but for hourly floor employees it can get up to $50+/hr for highly tenured people.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Raldikuk posted:

Their minimum wage is $14/hr, but for hourly floor employees it can get up to $50+/hr for highly tenured people.

Wait someone who works on the floor at a costco can make $50/hr??

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Don't get too excited of the two founders.of Costco only one is still alive and he's in his 80s. You'd better believe that when he passed away the people left in control of that company will surely turn on its employees and customers in order to make an extra buck.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

actionjackson posted:

Wait someone who works on the floor at a costco can make $50/hr??

I'm not 100% positive on that; just that tenured hourly employees can reach that high. I'm basing this info off of this BI article. But even then, they say it is for people who have been there decades, but still, if floor workers can make up to that, that puts every single other establishment to shame.

EvilJoven posted:

Don't get too excited of the two founders.of Costco only one is still alive and he's in his 80s. You'd better believe that when he passed away the people left in control of that company will surely turn on its employees and customers in order to make an extra buck.

Of course, this is the big thing... shareholders have been after blood for years trying to get costco to cut wages and benefits. The only reason they haven't is because the current CEO and founder won't have any of it. Once the reigns get passed, expect some serious slashing.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Guillotines are more of a chopping mechanism.

I really hope some board of directors for something like Costco reads the market and retails the same guillotines used to deal with this late stage capitalism issue.

Roll of Quarters
Jan 7, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

CVS stopped selling smokes.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

It wasn't because they got in trouble for selling to minors or anything?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
guaranteed that's not because ethics but rather a corporate branding decision. CVS can't market itself as a healthy friendly drugstore when they sell cigarettes. :shrug:

e:

quote:

In September 2014, CVS Health became the first national retail pharmacy chain to stop selling tobacco products in all of our stores because it conflicted with our purpose of helping people on their path to better health.

yup

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Moridin920 posted:

guaranteed that's not because ethics but rather a corporate branding decision. CVS can't market itself as a healthy friendly drugstore when they sell cigarettes. :shrug:

e:

yup

under capitalism is there a meaningful distinction between ethics and a corporate branding decision??

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

It's academic because "Doing it from the goodness of their heart" and "doing it to promote their brand" is a distinction we can only apply to people not large corporate entities

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lmao CVS the only food you sell is candy you gently caress

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
good idea if they put the $500m in housing where the $5b of housing currently stands

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I really need to get into the guillotine business but make it new and flashy. Maybe like those old terrifying paper cutters in school

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

will it blend: the rich

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Microsoft buying 500 houses

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
Microsoft loaning builders money to build 500 houses

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

all the houses pictured here have 1 tech manager in them each[

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
p sure that corporations building affordable housing is the backstory to Brazil

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Raldikuk posted:

Of course, this is the big thing... shareholders have been after blood for years trying to get costco to cut wages and benefits. The only reason they haven't is because the current CEO and founder won't have any of it. Once the reigns get passed, expect some serious slashing.
note the conspicuous lack of democracy in this decision making

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Xand_Man posted:

It's academic because "Doing it from the goodness of their heart" and "doing it to promote their brand" is a distinction we can only apply to people not large corporate entities

of course because a corporation has no heart - but it's worth pointing out to people who think corporations do stuff out of goodness because a big difference is that if smoking somehow became as socially acceptable as it was fifty years ago, they'd start right back up

we all know that of course but not everyone thinks that way, and not out of malice or stupidity so much as never really feeling cause to consider the fact

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

a nice capitalist is like a nice feudal lord or nice slavemaster

sure they're nice relative to their peers but they are fundamentally still exploiting and robbing the workers

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Moridin920 posted:

quote:

In September 2014, CVS Health became the first national retail pharmacy chain to stop selling tobacco products in all of our stores because it conflicted with our purpose of helping people on their path to better health.

You could buy smokes at a loving pharmacy? In 2014?

And, from the quote, I'm guessing that other pharmacies still sell them?

loving hell, America. You never cease to amaze and horrify.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Pharmacies were among the only legal places to buy whiskey during Prohibition

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ScrubLeague posted:

Pharmacies were among the only legal places to buy whiskey during Prohibition

A lot of "Illness: Nerves. Prescription: Booze" going around back then.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i took a course in software ethics

a lot of the course was dedicated to respecting and obeying the monopoly claims of capitalists over thoughts and ideas through "intellectual property"

ethics as a concept has been twisted to mean respecting rich peoples' rights over charging economic rents on medicine that they hired other people to create or research or received through enormous government subsidy so that people are literally dying lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

you could also make up to 200gal/yr of wine as long as it never left your home

vintners made a killing selling grape concentrate 'wine bricks', waaaay more than they were making before prohibition