Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Custom themes are happening in PS Classic land. Here's a couple of nifty ones:
FFVII: https://www.reddit.com/r/PlaystationClassic/comments/ab3n8x/made_some_significant_updates_to_my_ffvii_theme/
MGS: https://www.reddit.com/r/PlaystationClassic/comments/aasai9/after_making_the_ffvii_theme_i_went_for_a_metal/

I made one myself based on the PAL PS1 grey tiles menu.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
The BleemSync 0.7 update will be a few days late, but they announced some new features and here are a few highlights:

- PlayStation Classic can now be powered by TV/PC USB ports
- Launch Retroarch games from the stock UI, including PBP files for cores that support them
- The original 20 games can now be shown in the UI alongside the titles on your USB

The 1.0 release will feature faster boot load times and a BleemSync application with a user-friendly UI. The ability to replace stock games on the system's memory is coming, but in a later release. At that point the system will do pretty much everything I wanted.

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 31, 2018

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

ooh yes! look at that thing! drat i might buy one before its gone just for the hope they get dualshocks working with it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUZEtVbJT5c&t=20s

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Vikar Jerome posted:

ooh yes! look at that thing! drat i might buy one before its gone just for the hope they get dualshocks working with it.

You can use dualshock with it, but not by default. You need to go into the game, enter a menu and then map the dualshock to use it. I was trying Parasite Eve out with the analog stick with this.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Why would you not have that enabled by default :psyduck:. You can configure a phone for "give me power, but don't send data" via USB, so why not use it here in age of smart TV's?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Did they even give a plug in the box due to that? I’m gonna guess no, but surprise me Sony. I forgave Nintendo because I presumed the whole point was you would just use the TV power for these things.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Didnt the Nintendo ones have ac adapters?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Nintendo boxes included an HDMI cable, a Micro UsB cable, and a USB Charger wart to plug it into your wall outlet.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Cojawfee posted:

Didnt the Nintendo ones have ac adapters?

My SNES Classic did.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Huh I could’ve sworn my euro one didn’t, maybe I just left it in the box as I couldn’t use it anyway.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Euro ones don’t. gently caress Nintendo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Huh I could’ve sworn my euro one didn’t, maybe I just left it in the box as I couldn’t use it anyway.

Nowadays Nintendo only includes chargers in the regions that force them to.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
What's the PlayStation classic dongle everyone is talking about? Is it something to give you more storage? Where does it plug in?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

What's the PlayStation classic dongle everyone is talking about? Is it something to give you more storage? Where does it plug in?

Just a simple usb flash drive plugged into controller 2. System uses usb plugs for the controllers.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Lmao and it actually reads USB drives from that port? That's hilarious

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Empress Brosephine posted:

Euro ones don’t. gently caress Nintendo.

I felt in this case it was somewhat fine because it seems to me almost everyone has available USB ports behind their TV or a gaming console to give it power. Or else an extra USB AC adapter kicking around.

At least this was certainly more acceptable than when they decided to not include a charger with the 3DS...

gently caress Nintendo.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Rirse posted:

Just a simple usb flash drive plugged into controller 2. System uses usb plugs for the controllers.

If you have a flash drive in the controller 2 port, can you use a powered USB hub in the first port to run 2+ controllers into the thing for multiplayer games?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

McCoy Pauley posted:

If you have a flash drive in the controller 2 port, can you use a powered USB hub in the first port to run 2+ controllers into the thing for multiplayer games?

From what I understand, yes.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Rirse posted:

From what I understand, yes.

Interesting. Having lost my old PS1 multitap and at least some of the controllers, I'd happily pay about $60 for a box that just played 4-player Circuit Breakers.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Lmao and it actually reads USB drives from that port? That's hilarious

Has there ever been a system that's successfully managed to lock out their USB ports?

edit: The only unique thing is that the Classic doesn't have to be flashed, but everything gets hacked within months anyhow :shrug:
ee: Apparently that's except for the XBOX One, but it looks like you can do a lot from their own dev mode.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 2, 2019

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Can the BleemSync thing be done on a Mac, or do I need to drag out my old POS Windows 7 laptop to get it done?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Teenage Fansub posted:

Has there ever been a system that's successfully managed to lock out their USB ports?

edit: The only unique thing is that the Classic doesn't have to be flashed, but everything gets hacked within months anyhow :shrug:
ee: Apparently that's except for the XBOX One, but it looks like you can do a lot from their own dev mode.

I think I remember an IT security quote that if someone has physical access to a machine, and of course with enough know-how, they'll be able to breach it.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bleemsync 1.0 is coming next week and will have a UI, allow pbp files....and well a ton of other stuff.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PlaystationClassic/comments/adks29/status_update_on_bleemsync_and_upcoming_release/

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m excited

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Someone gave me a PS Classic and I’m not impressed. Most of these games haven’t aged as well as 16 or even 8 bit games. Is it easy to add more stuff? Any recommendations what to add as well? I never had a PS1 originally. I know I want to add SOTN and Chrono Cross.

EDIT: I’m kinda enjoying Intelligent Cube, surprisingly enough. MG is good too still but I prefer Twin Snakes.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 17, 2019

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SeANMcBAY posted:

Someone gave me a PS Classic and I’m not impressed. Most of these games haven’t aged as well as 16 or even 8 bit games. Is it easy to add more stuff? Any recommendations what to add as well? I never had a PS1 originally. I know I want to add SOTN and Chrono Cross.

EDIT: I’m kinda enjoying Intelligent Cube, surprisingly enough. MG is good too still but I prefer Twin Snakes.

Check the last couple pages in the retro gaming thread, people have been posting PSX recommendations. My personal rec is Mega Man Legends

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
If you like JRPGS you should do yourself a solid and try Suikoden 2.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

dragon_pamcake posted:

If you like JRPGS you should do yourself a solid and try Suikoden 2.

Oh yeah, that’s another I hear a lot about that sounds interesting. What about 1? Should I just skip it? I know the later entries get crap.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I hear 1 is worth playing. The Retronauts episode made it sound worth playing still.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Oh yeah, that’s another I hear a lot about that sounds interesting. What about 1? Should I just skip it? I know the later entries get crap.

I think 1 is also worth playing, it's pretty good.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Suikoden 2 also uses your save from the first game for some extra stuff IIRC, both games are fun

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Suikoden 1-3 are all worth playing, though 3 is a PS2 game and takes a bunch of fun liberties. I mention the 3rd because it's the last one to carry your save data over.

The first is rough on the edges, especially the enemy encounter sprites. It's around 20-30 hours long, so keep that in mind if you want to check a FAQ or not. The second just takes the first one and adds a ton of polish and tidying up of the gameplay (which you'll hate if you actually enjoyed taking all of the cooks or blacksmiths into battle). But the story has enough connections to warrant playing the first.

I keep replaying the first one and forgetting to replay the 2nd one with the complete data though. I think I even finished it with all the stars on my PSTV a year or two ago and didn't get past copying the save over to Suikoden 2's memory card.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
What's the best SNES game? Battle Clash?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Chrono Trigger

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Can I play that with a Super Scope?

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

The only crap Suikoden is 4, but 1 feels unpolished to me and the story drags in certain parts. I'd say try 1 and if it doesn't click, move on to 2.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Home Alone

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I heard the DS one was the crap crap crappiest.

I wanna start up Suikoden and Alundra and the rest of the overlooked PS1 jrpgs but I'm gonna wait til Bleem Sync 1.0.

Plus I hear they're working on getting full speed PSP emulation on it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I heard the DS one was the crap crap crappiest

Same, but I've never played it and couldn't remember how to spell Tierkreis.