Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

food court bailiff posted:

I've been playing Prey on Normal and it owns super hard, it might be one of my favorite games ever - but the difficulty curve is just absolutely bonkers-weird.

drat, I had the exact opposite problem and was getting wrecked constantly.

To contribute, I hate games that don't warn you when you're exiting a level and shoot you into a cut scene or something. Sometimes I'll want to wait to explore until after I have a sense of the layout and then get railroaded and wind up missing a pick up or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Samuringa posted:

No, that plot point was dropped around...8 years ago? Along with most of the real world segments.

Black Flag was the first of the main games to drop it I think.

For a couple of games you played as random Ubisoft Abstergo testers, then as random gamers, and then as a named Abstergo employee (Layla).

Between Syndicate and Origins they wiped clean a lot of the modern day stuff.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Between Syndicate and Origins they wiped clean a lot of the modern day stuff.

Not enough, unfortunately.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

drat you Danganronpa v3 let me take screenshots

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Len posted:

drat you [Cranky Old Japanese Developers] let me take screenshots

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Mierenneuker posted:

In the previous game the main character was accessing memories by plugging in a 2000 year old grave. She then moved on to getting DNA from a spear in Odyssey.

Note that this (broken) spear is used to stab people. Yet it still has DNA from the wielder.

To be fair, it was a magic supercomputer (AI?) in a spear. So for once it could actually make sense to explore the past through it, as it's probably got a clear recollection of everything that happened. (Unlike the DNA.)

The broken spear is so bizarre however.
It breaks during the battle of Thermopylae I think it was. (Aka in the prologue.)
And when it breaks it looks just like it does in the present.

Alright, that makes sense.

But when you progress the story you both repair it, and massively upgrade it, making the spear look entirely different.
Yet somehow it just reverts back to it's original form for the future.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

SubNat posted:

To be fair, it was a magic supercomputer (AI?) in a spear. So for once it could actually make sense to explore the past through it, as it's probably got a clear recollection of everything that happened. (Unlike the DNA.)

It breaks during the battle of Thermopylae I think it was. (Aka in the prologue.)

But when you progress the story you both repair it, and massively upgrade it, making the spear look entirely different.

Absolutely unrelated but this reminded me that when you had a flashback to a previous scene in Xenoblade, all characters would be wearing what they had equipped at the time, it was a very neat detail.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SubNat posted:

Everyone used default equipment in the past. All that upgrading and dying it different colors and deciding on no not the spear, I'll take the axe today? Completely non-canon.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Personally, I'd guess the spear doesn't retain all its fancy upgrades and eventually turns back into what it was originally.

I'm not even done with Odyssey yet (not even close), but this has sapped my investment in Kassandra's character badly. I like her plenty as it is, and I do not like the idea that the story has deemed all of this gay rampaging adventure across the Aegean to in fact be childish and what Kassandra's really wanted all along despite never saying a word about it is becoming a housewife and mother.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Project Highrise is so easy it detracts from the game. And I don't just mean it's "management game easy". I know most management games are basically glorified puzzle games in that there's a lot of leeway in how they get solved, but this is square-blocks-in-a-triangular-hole levels of easy.

For example Tenant happiness is apparently the ONLY thing that determines whether a tenant stays or not. Doesn't matter if they're a restaurant or a retail store, as long as they rent next to an elevator and a lot of people walking or there's lots of art nearby, they'll eat loss after loss to continue being ignored by everyone in your building. There's one lovely restaurant I built near the start that makes like $50 of revenue a day while paying $500 in rent/day but they sit there smiling the elevator is right next door :downs:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That restaurant is laundering money.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Len posted:

drat you Danganronpa v3 let me take screenshots

Shoulda played on PC.

edit: ok fine this image is not a BIG spoiler but does have story elements in it, but if you don't care much for the fate of anime teens mouse-over away.

Note for spoiler-concerned people: image is not a spoiler, he's just a bit ill at this point in the game, instead of (as you might expect from similar images in the series) about to die in the next 30 seconds.

Game's a good mine for reaction/meme images.

bewilderment has a new favorite as of 02:18 on Jan 16, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

bewilderment posted:

Shoulda played on PC.
]

Note for spoiler-concerned people: image is not a spoiler, he's just a bit ill at this point in the game, instead of (as you might expect from similar images in the series) about to die in the next 30 seconds.

I mean it probably is because when I got hit with that I literally yelled at the tv.

Len has a new favorite as of 02:30 on Jan 16, 2019

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Len posted:

I mean it probably is because when I got hit with that I literally yelled at the tv.

OK I guess I wrapped it up in spoiler tags just in case someone is playing a year-old anime game right now besides you and me.

Pictured: reaction image for when you don't care how bad the person you're voting for is, at least they're not the other guy

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

bewilderment posted:

OK I guess I wrapped it up in spoiler tags just in case someone is playing a year-old anime game right now besides you and me.

Pictured: reaction image for when you don't care how bad the person you're voting for is, at least they're not the other guy

I dig the series but it does the same thing Phoenix Wright does where I'll know what needs to be said to move on but not what backwards rear end logic I need to get there.

Also trial 3 killed off my next bff. Gimpanthropoligist and I were going to be besties.

Little mad about that still.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Haven't finished downloading DOOM yet on my 5mb/s connection after 2 days. The game is 60 gigs in size when compressed owing to the IdTech Megatexture thing. I do wish more games would let you download in separate installments given that nobody gave a poo poo about DOOM's multiplayer or map-editor. I remember that Titanfall 1 had 35 gigs of uncompressed audio for no reason.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Pretty sure it is far bigger than just 60GB at this point, reaching almost a hundred. You got some ways to go.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
It’s lucky that DOOM is extremely good. Force Unleashed was like 70GB and that game was middling

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Force Unleashed actually downloaded 3 versions of the game on PC for the purpose of its DRM system.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

bewilderment posted:

Shoulda played on PC.

edit: ok fine this image is not a BIG spoiler but does have story elements in it, but if you don't care much for the fate of anime teens mouse-over away.

Steam was actually the the thing that dragged this game down for me.
As you two know this is a series of murder mysteries with big deep plot twists and overarching mystery between individual cases.

When you play games you know how steam hands out dumb little trading cards for their experience system or whatever the gently caress it is? And how they're handed out at random?
I was awarded two cards that were titled "The Truth", that had two major non-protagonist characters on it. One of whom was already dead.
Sure enough, they turned out to be critical players in the major storyline!
Thanks, Steam!

Poulpe has a new favorite as of 17:37 on Jan 16, 2019

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Force Unleashed was like 70GB and that game was middling

I found the first FU in my Steam account last weekend and didn’t remember ever buying it so thought to try it, having loved the old Jedi Knight games way back when I was less old.

Middling is being very kind. I played the first two levels and I think I’m done.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It really baffles me that we've gone nearly 15 years since Jedi Academy and Star Wars is the biggest it's been since the 80s and Disney has Disney money, and still nobody has even tried to make a real Jedi game other than Force Unleashed (or any SP star wars game really)

It's 2019 everybody gave up on the whole "single player games are dead" thing like three years ago. The Switch still has motion controls, just let me swing a laser sword once for the love of god

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It really baffles me that we've gone nearly 15 years since Jedi Academy and Star Wars is the biggest it's been since the 80s and Disney has Disney money, and still nobody has even tried to make a real Jedi game other than Force Unleashed (or any SP star wars game really)

It's 2019 everybody gave up on the whole "single player games are dead" thing like three years ago. The Switch still has motion controls, just let me swing a laser sword once for the love of god

I mean, when Beat Saber is basically lightsaber DDR, I don't know why someone isn't doing the same thing but with, like, blaster bolts and stormtroopers rushing at you. Time it to music, or don't, whatever. Or just make it droids so you can slice them in half satisfyingly.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A rather timely observation since EA, who very much do believe that SP games are dead, just canceled their own open-world Star Wars game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Using enchanted stuff in Morrowind makes you equip the item, which sucks when it comes down to wearing constant effect bling. I got a ring that reduces all magic elements, but between using my bound bow ring and my healing ring it keeps getting taken off.

exquisite tea posted:

A rather timely observation since EA, who very much do believe that SP games are dead, just canceled their own open-world Star Wars game.

Again?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I know, I was surprised they were even working on one until today.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cythereal posted:

I'm not even done with Odyssey yet (not even close), but this has sapped my investment in Kassandra's character badly. I like her plenty as it is, and I do not like the idea that the story has deemed all of this gay rampaging adventure across the Aegean to in fact be childish and what Kassandra's really wanted all along despite never saying a word about it is becoming a housewife and mother.

Allegedly what they were going for was a choice between genuinely wanting to settle down or very pragmatically banging a dude to keep the bloodline going, but they failed to make that second choice distinct and with the achievement name it's just a real rotten look.

They've apologized a bunch for it, but regardless it feels like a sloppy intersection of "you can play your character however you want!" with "but we've already decided the plot is gonna work like this no matter what".

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

John Murdoch posted:

Allegedly what they were going for was a choice between genuinely wanting to settle down or very pragmatically banging a dude to keep the bloodline going, but they failed to make that second choice distinct and with the achievement name it's just a real rotten look.

They've apologized a bunch for it, but regardless it feels like a sloppy intersection of "you can play your character however you want!" with "but we've already decided the plot is gonna work like this no matter what".

I personally find the "must continue the bloodline!" concept gross in general. They've already decided your character wants kids, and not just with anyone but a similarly racially superior ubermensch because it was your magical racial purity that made you a hero.

They could have had the kid be Deimos', or your character accidentally sticks their hand in what turns out to be an Isu cloning facility, or something along those lines.

Instead they consciously decided that the protagonist would specifically choose to have a child with another ubermensch and there's not a drat thing you can do about it.

I uninstalled Odyssey last night and doubt I'll ever finish it, much less buy the DLC.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Toughs in Spider-Man. I'll accept that Wilson Fisk is a badass and I need to do special stuff to fight him but why do 90% of the minor street gangs in Manhattan have at least two of these beasts? It's kind of annoying when Spidey can't just beat the crap out of half the guys in a mob because half of them have melee weapons, some of them have shields, and some of them are just freaking gigantic. Even on Friendly difficulty it's a tiny bit much.

(Also this isn't as much a flaw as just sort of amusing, but I did like responding to a report of a mugging in Central Park only to find it was like twelve dudes crammed onto a bridge.)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Toughs in Spider-Man. I'll accept that Wilson Fisk is a badass and I need to do special stuff to fight him but why do 90% of the minor street gangs in Manhattan have at least two of these beasts? It's kind of annoying when Spidey can't just beat the crap out of half the guys in a mob because half of them have melee weapons, some of them have shields, and some of them are just freaking gigantic. Even on Friendly difficulty it's a tiny bit much.

(Also this isn't as much a flaw as just sort of amusing, but I did like responding to a report of a mugging in Central Park only to find it was like twelve dudes crammed onto a bridge.)

There are enemies in Spider-Man that just suck, and Toughs are one of them. They no-sell your hits, they have attacks that track your dodges (which is ridiculous to see), and they can combo these three in a row with little you can do about it except jump and swing away from them. Whenever I see one I immediately just shock them and beat the poo poo out of them because otherwise the fight isn't just going to be a little harder, it's going to be a lot less fun.

Like, Spider-Man can lift a car. Why can a beefy guy raising his arms block a hit from him with absolutely no repercussions.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Morpheus posted:

There are enemies in Spider-Man that just suck, and Toughs are one of them. They no-sell your hits, they have attacks that track your dodges (which is ridiculous to see), and they can combo these three in a row with little you can do about it except jump and swing away from them. Whenever I see one I immediately just shock them and beat the poo poo out of them because otherwise the fight isn't just going to be a little harder, it's going to be a lot less fun.

Like, Spider-Man can lift a car. Why can a beefy guy raising his arms block a hit from him with absolutely no repercussions.

The comic book explanation is that he's pulling his punches because if the guy who can lift a car punches you in the face full force he will flat out kill you. The videogamey explanation is that if all the enemies are basically the same and them blocking doesnt help them then the fights would be ridiculously easy and short and get boring very quickly. Neither explanation helps if you arent finding them fun to fight though. Honestly I found them less annoying than the shield carrying dudes or the jetpack wankers (who are the only enemies I would flat out remove from the game if possible because they were tedious to fight and unlike the toughs or shield dudes there werent skills which made them much easier).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

SiKboy posted:

The comic book explanation is that he's pulling his punches because if the guy who can lift a car punches you in the face full force he will flat out kill you. The videogamey explanation is that if all the enemies are basically the same and them blocking doesnt help them then the fights would be ridiculously easy and short and get boring very quickly. Neither explanation helps if you arent finding them fun to fight though. Honestly I found them less annoying than the shield carrying dudes or the jetpack wankers (who are the only enemies I would flat out remove from the game if possible because they were tedious to fight and unlike the toughs or shield dudes there werent skills which made them much easier).

Yeah, I know the reason, but the combination of "Can't Punch Them", "Lots of Health", "Can't Juggle Them", "Is Better At Fighting You Than Anyone Else" make for a lovely experience.

Shield guys I have no problem with though - you slide under them, and now their defenses are moot and you can juggle them and stuff.

The other enemies I hate would be the jetpack enemies in the DLC, and whip enemies. Just completely take you out of the fight. Especially the whip enemies with their ability to smash you into the ground in an undodgeable attack.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

John Murdoch posted:

It's entirely possible to beat Awakened One with a power deck or Time Eater with a shiv deck. It can be a pain in the rear end, sure, but you can outplay them by being smart about it. "There isn't much wiggle room" either means you're making your deck too specialized, not building combos anywhere as near as strong as you think, or you're not making use of all of your resources to the fullest - not only do you know the game is going to end against 1 out of 3 bosses every time, but you know which boss it is when Act 3 starts. If you make it to Time Eater with a deck that's just a bunch of shiv-generation cards and nothing else, then yeah, you messed up.

Now that said, it's both a deck building game and a roguelike...randomness is going to come into play on multiple levels and you can just plain get screwed over for reasons beyond your control. Even the most perfect deck can spit out all attacks on the turn you need to block or die.

I now this is from a while back i gotta say this was some solid advice. I quit trying to build gimmicky decks and started picking cards to bolster aspects of my deck that needed attention. Since then i've gone up a couple ascensions with each character.

That motherfucker Heart is still a thing dragging this game down i guess though, but fortunately beating it isn't necessary.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
World of Final Fantasy gripe - I wish the more "common" field abilities were innate things to the appropriate types of Mirages (think like pokemon, but from the various FF games). I recently found myself unable to traverse over a small gap because the multiple flying mirages in my team didn't have the Flutter ability that'd let me do that. And that includes one that is an evolved bigger form of one that does have that ability, so I had to go to the nearest save-point and switch it back to its smaller form.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

Pretty sure it is far bigger than just 60GB at this point, reaching almost a hundred. You got some ways to go.

It's around 78 now. They actually did an optimization patch that cleaned up the space added by the DLC when they made it free.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

World of Final Fantasy gripe - I wish the more "common" field abilities were innate things to the appropriate types of Mirages (think like pokemon, but from the various FF games). I recently found myself unable to traverse over a small gap because the multiple flying mirages in my team didn't have the Flutter ability that'd let me do that. And that includes one that is an evolved bigger form of one that does have that ability, so I had to go to the nearest save-point and switch it back to its smaller form.
World of FF is really good but it feels like they made a lot of the same mistakes as the early Pokemon games. I'd like it to get a sequel.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

oh dope posted:

I now this is from a while back i gotta say this was some solid advice. I quit trying to build gimmicky decks and started picking cards to bolster aspects of my deck that needed attention. Since then i've gone up a couple ascensions with each character.

That motherfucker Heart is still a thing dragging this game down i guess though, but fortunately beating it isn't necessary.
:tipshat:

I need to get back to climbing ascensions one of these years. Haven't even played since they added all the fancy VFX and act 4 and such.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I get annoyed by games that try to be Pokemon but then include palette swapped monsters.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I get annoyed by games that try to be Pokemon but then include palette swapped monsters.

Considering the enormous fuss players make over shinies, I'm not sure that Pokemon has much of a leg to stand on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Gerblyn posted:

Considering the enormous fuss players make over shinies, I'm not sure that Pokemon has much of a leg to stand on here.

Pokemon doesn't pretend shinies are different pokemon. They're just rare special looks. WoFF is more "This is Goblin, and this is Goblin+"