Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Doomsday and Triple Rockets are the primary reason why my defense layouts always include turrets positioned waaaaay in front of my colonists. Once raids get big enough it's basically impossible to kill all the rocketeers before they fire and I'd rather a rocket blow up a bunch of plasteel and components than meticulously skilled and equipped colonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nalesh posted:

thinking back, yeah it might have been due to having a turret on the other side with embrasures

That'll do it. The Tiberium Rim mod (RIP) had an embrasure style structure in it that could do this. I have screenshots of them really messing with melee pathfinding, but I'd expect that a similar thing would happen with rockets. Don't know how it would calculate the blast, but I expect that the blast would still go through.

Kanos posted:

Doomsday and Triple Rockets are the primary reason why my defense layouts always include turrets positioned waaaaay in front of my colonists. Once raids get big enough it's basically impossible to kill all the rocketeers before they fire and I'd rather a rocket blow up a bunch of plasteel and components than meticulously skilled and equipped colonists.

This is the other secret sauce of my base defense: my colonists have good, multi-layer armor. When you are outnumbered 4:1 by pirates/anything with guns, you really need armor to survive. I'll need to check when I get home, but I think sharp protection works against rockets. You're still going to get wrecked by them if you're clumped up, but you've got a much better chance of not actually being downed from it.

Also, with Death Rattle, always check your downed pawns. If you notice a destroyed vital organ, you have a limited window to save the colonist, and if you're not starting to triage before the fight ends, you probably won't have time to complete the surgery before they expire.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
It's more them shooting through the embrasure at the turret, they're pretty much sandbags that you can't walk through.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I miss TiberiumRim :smith:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nalesh posted:

It's more them shooting through the embrasure at the turret, they're pretty much sandbags that you can't walk through.

Yeah. I actually need to check things with my setup and see if it is possible to have the doors close fast enough to block a missile that has already been fired. It barely scratches the autodoors, let alone the walls, so if the door pawn has a weapon with a low enough cooldown, I might be able to get them to actually waste rockets on walls.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Agreed on it being tough to single out rocketeers during big raids - last night in the middle of the lagfest that are raids at the moment, I had forgotten that Rimworld only selects up to 80 objects. So, I checked the pirate numbers to see how close I was getting to them possibly running, as I had a number of injured colonists and one who just got his stomach shot out limping himself to the hospital to get a new prosthetic stomach (always keep a spare organ on hand!) and found 79 amongst the downed and up pirates and thought, "but why, there were 80 to start with and there are 14 corpses... oh wait"

I had to stop for the night when the 3 pronged tribal raid came in (dude with new stomach just woke up from surgery, so it's one of those back-to-back bad events, thanks Randy!) and I noted a total of 110-120.

I use concrete mod which adds embrasures. They do a decent job of stopping rockets, but not infrequently one will sail through the embrasure and BAM. I've found that during the big raids, having 6 colonists on anti-rocketeer duty with 2 colonists on staggered incendiary launcher duty can either down, or set on fire long enough to down, the rocketeers. With my defense setup, every enemy enters in just outside incendiary launcher range and there's no wall coverage, just a few trees closer to the firing lines.

But with things like grenades and rockets having small sprites, I'm surprised someone hasn't done a point defense turret mod or something.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Doesn't work for all infestations, but if you have a cave system on your map, wall up the entrances and roof it. Put some wooden wall chunks a few spaces inside the doors. Then, if you get an infestation in there, burn the wall down and slam the door behind you. It'll get hot in there really fast and either outright kill the bugs or heatstroke them where a couple of melee guys can go in and mop up.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

robotsinmyhead posted:

Doesn't work for all infestations, but if you have a cave system on your map, wall up the entrances and roof it. Put some wooden wall chunks a few spaces inside the doors. Then, if you get an infestation in there, burn the wall down and slam the door behind you. It'll get hot in there really fast and either outright kill the bugs or heatstroke them where a couple of melee guys can go in and mop up.

When it gets hot enough, the hives/bugs will start to spontaneously ignite as well, keeping the fire going long after the original fuel burns out.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Warmachine posted:

Also, with Death Rattle, always check your downed pawns. If you notice a destroyed vital organ, you have a limited window to save the colonist, and if you're not starting to triage before the fight ends, you probably won't have time to complete the surgery before they expire.

Death Rattle hediffs are also all marked as life-threatening so you should be alerted by the game :eng101:

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Syndlig posted:

cyber fauna is ok, but it's pretty limited in scope. it only does arms, legs, spine, eyes, and jaw (and organs). if you wanna have a fully cyberized pupper you need to go for A Dog Said to get those sweet sweet cyber-ears and tails, and it also has peg-legs for pre-prosthetics. the patching is kinda annoying but i think AnimalCollabProject is the only one that doesn't autopatch for ADS.

EDIT: quote is not edit! sorry.

changing my mind on this. getting rid of patches to decrease my load time has converted me to cyber fauna, cuz holy poo poo these load times.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Warmachine posted:

When it gets hot enough, the hives/bugs will start to spontaneously ignite as well, keeping the fire going long after the original fuel burns out.

This happens at an oddly high temperature, imo. I think the last time I did this it cleared 326ºC and didn't self-ignite.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
How do you vent the heat from burning out the bugs? I had an infestation trap room in one colony but it was a pain to hold open doors to get the heat down.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
There has never, in the history of the world, been a reason to put out a fire so this question is nonsense.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

jerman999 posted:

How do you vent the heat from burning out the bugs? I had an infestation trap room in one colony but it was a pain to hold open doors to get the heat down.

You make sure one door or wall is facing an outside designated tile, and then just have someone shoot it open. Instant "outside" label for the room, which is now normalized.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Insects are your friends and it saddens me that no one bothers to farm the free infinite food, leather, doctor experience and friend-generator that is the infestation event.

Like it is SUPER easy to abuse hardcore in your favor.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I will not suffer a bug to live.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

jerman999 posted:

install RedistHeat or Centralized Climate Control or Dubs Bad Hygiene and pump that delicious heat elsewhere.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

HelloSailorSign posted:

I will not suffer a bug to live.

Unless they eat hay, +/- ability to haul, +/- tend their own hives after taming.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

huh you can tame bugs?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

jerman999 posted:

Ensure that the hallways going to the trap room are 2 wide with a door and wall at their ends, deconstruct the wall half of the doorways from the outside in. Heat will vent after you deconstruct the final wall into the room. You'll lose a bit in raw materials rebuilding, but it's easy and fast and if you've got active heating/cooling it shouldn't take long to get back to a normal temperature after.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

HelloSailorSign posted:

But with things like grenades and rockets having small sprites, I'm surprised someone hasn't done a point defense turret mod or something.

I definitely recall seeing a point defense mod to shoot down mortars and drop pods. Don't recall if rockets were on the list.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I forgot the medieval mod was installed (no limits) but then i got raided by about 30 medieval mooks, most of which with heavy armor, shield belts, and strong weapons. I quite enjoyed using space age technology against capable knights, etc. that could definitely gently caress me up if they got through my defenses.

Then I got like a 20-day toxic fallout event which is really, really not fun. Not even interesting just tedious and lovely and hope you stashed a fuckload of wood because all the trees are gone.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah medieval raids are nothing to joke about, they're usually more armored on average than other raiders, and will gently caress you up royally if they get close enough, I think medieval factions have an innate bonus to melee or something.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Nalesh posted:

Yeah medieval raids are nothing to joke about, they're usually more armored on average than other raiders, and will gently caress you up royally if they get close enough, I think medieval factions have an innate bonus to melee or something.

The gloves and bracers and such in their armour set gives melee bonuses.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

No I mean I feel like raiders from their settlements have higher melee skill by default.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Guys, seriously, where's all the mortar chat?

That's how you deal with raiders outside the walls.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Please, a real war criminal uses minefields.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Those automatic cluster mortars do basically delete sieges

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Sorry, "automatic cluster mortars?"

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

Sorry, "automatic cluster mortars?"

Its from the more turret mod I think or maybe the glitterworld mod. Its basically an AI driven mortar that launches 3 shells. There is a more balanced version out there that requires ammo but they basically slaughter sieges, espeically if you have a natural chokepoint like a swamp or something. Really handy for those 50+ sieges.

If anybody knows how to fix the thing where your screen basically goes all grey Ill show them off in action with the Imperial Fire base I set up.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 16, 2019

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Also just get the oil mod and douse the surrounding landscape with napalm, even if the mortar misses it's gonna set everything ablaze :v:

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

Nalesh posted:

Also just get the oil mod and douse the surrounding landscape with napalm, even if the mortar misses it's gonna set everything ablaze :v:

:stare: tell me more

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Drop pod raids into your base are the most fun kind. I don't understand why you'd want to get rid of them.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Syndlig posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1321849735

Get yer bush on

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Seconding this. Between this, Bad Hygene, and Rimatomics, you have a very nice suite of expansion systems to play with. Rimefeller into Rimatomics even makes tech sense.

Drill baby drill.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Syndlig posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1498128603 also works, I think. Haven't used it personally, but all this one does is let you put down fuel and light it, nothing more.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Question about the crash land mod, is the strange ship crashlanding a one off? Or can i have another one crashland randomly later on.

Also the mechanius rad pistols and galvinic rifles are brutal. 3 pawns had their heads blown off, 3 died from radiation poisoning, and the last 5 got cancer from the radiation.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 17, 2019

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I sometimes get the feeling my snipers intentionally miss the kill shots. Like, hey, lets shoot off this chick's leg and face before finishing her off, because Rimworld.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Never encountered a lancer before today – got the alert of an incoming raid, clicked on it, and the screen centered on my base. I shrugged, thought it was a bug, and went about my day, until some flying spectre of death hovered in and started blasting my poor animals.

Also finally got to the point of being able to trade for Glitterworld medicine – being able to install bionics is amazing, particularly to offset nagging injuries or penalties that were rooted in the first raid after game start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

FreshFeesh posted:

Never encountered a lancer before today – got the alert of an incoming raid, clicked on it, and the screen centered on my base. I shrugged, thought it was a bug, and went about my day, until some flying spectre of death hovered in and started blasting my poor animals.

Just in case you haven't figured out what happened here, drop pod raids take some time to actually land after the event kicks off. Give it a few seconds after unpausing and you'll see it fly in to that spot, but you can also use that time to rally defenders.