Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kobayashi posted:

is Corbyn calling for people to hit the streets yet?

Mike Skinner may be a twat but I'm not sure if that will help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
grill the meats

e: drat you

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Even aussies are taking the piss

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol my dudes if you don't have vitamin p on ignore, save your braincells ffs

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyway here's a galaxy brain take from the guardian:

Only a rupture with the EU will alter the failed status quo
Larry Elliott

article posted:

[...]

The risk is that the losers will be the biggest supporters of the EU – the liberal left. And the biggest winners will be the extreme right.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/17/rupture-eu-brexit-reform

oliwan has issued a correction as of 08:18 on Jan 17, 2019

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Guys you are not getting Vitamin P's point, you only ever vote once on anything in a referendum at most. The point of democracy and people's vote is to 100% never ever change your mind after seeing the results of what your vote has wrought.

In this singular instance the normal democratic process has to be ignored because Brexit is a big deal (tm). Missinformation doesn't matter, the very real consequences don't matter, all that matters is that Vitamin P gets democracy or a warped version of it at least, because that'll get him Brexit.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

oliwan posted:

Anyway here's a galaxy brain take from the guardian:

Only a rupture with the EU will alter the failed status quo
Larry Elliott

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/17/rupture-eu-brexit-reform

quote:

The financial crisis provided one such opportunity to reform an economic system that for many people clearly wasn’t working

Larry Elliott does know we didn't actually do that right?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

that about sums up the actual eu response

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

Vitamin P posted:

the first thing fascists and theocrats do is remove democracy.

actually, the first thing they tend to do is call referendums legitimizing said power grabs.

Go figure lol referendums are super dumb

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Elevator Screamer posted:

Nobody knows for certain because :ssh:super-injunctions:ssh:, which were phased out in the rest of the UK years ago but still exist in Northern Ireland.

An FOI request a few years back revealed that NI still has 6 of them in place - allegedly 5 for DUP members and 1 for a portly Northern Irish BBC television host. Weirdly, this is another one of those areas where the DUP absolutely insist that NI is a special place and *must* be subject to different rules than the rest of the UK.

:effort:post incoming that really doesn't belong ITT. But since these fuckers are propping up the Tories right now I guess maybe it might.

Below is all hearsay and speculation:

Jeffrey Donaldson (DUP, MP for Lagan Valley): professional Daniel O'Donnell lookalike and former junior advisor to Enoch Powell. He claimed expenses on several hundred pounds worth of "other" hotel movie rentals while staying in London on parliamentary business. He was also visited in said hotels by several hot young twinks who had serious concerns about the peace process that could only be placated in person.

Rev. William McCrea (DUP, MP for Mid Ulster): Reverend in the Free Presbyterian Church. He was a frequent visitor to and supporter of the Kincora Boys Home, a state care home for disadvantaged teenage boys in Belfast. For purely philanthropic reasons, many Tory politicians took a special interest in the plight of these young adolescents and travelled there at great personal risk throughout the 1970s when the Troubles were at their height. McCrea's unflinching support and continued silence on the issue resulted him being bestowed the title Baron McCrea of Magherafelt and Cookstown, despite being a fairly low-key member of a party that has traditionally been a thorn in the side of the UK government.

Ian Paisley Jr (DUP, MP for North Antrim): He's been in a spot of bother over accepting paid holidays in luxury foreign climes recently. He's the son of the party's founding father, a devout Christian and devoted husband/father. He's also been loving Emma Little-Pengelly (DUP, MP for Belfast South) on the side. Little-Pengelly is a surprise rising star within the DUP. Her father was a Loyalist terrorist who got caught in a sting operation, trying to import large shipments of arms in partnership with 2 senior DUP members. He took the fall and the DUP were let off the hook. This likely has no connection to her rise within the party.

Peter Robinson (former First Minister, former DUP party leader): Husband of Iris Robinson (DUP, former MP for Strangford). Helped procure £50K in loans to an enterprising young 19-year old man who wanted to open up a local restaurant. Iris was banging that teenage cock seven ways to Sunday. After she was forced to resign her MLA position she was replaced by Jonathan Bell (DUP MLA, Strangford), another rising star in the DUP promoted by her husband. He was so aggressively threatening towards women in the party that at least 2 made formal complaints, and in one case the threats were considered so credible that the PSNI (Police Service of Northern Ireland) provided a personal protection team to prevent him approaching her residence.

tl;dr: The DUP are a sound bunch of lads and totally deserve their role as Brexit kingmakers.

:yikes: on everything from the existence of super injunctions to this gossip (which I all believe 100%) to reading the wiki article on the Kincora home

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Referendums legalised abortion in Ireland and might allow the prosecution of corrupt Mexican ex-presidents so like all questions of democracy it's about context and scope rather than 'lol letting proles directly decide something'.

Everyone asking 'y no 2nd ref?' is really missing the point that the basic circumstances and the question that would be asked would essentially be unchanged and that it has been demanded from the second that Remain lost. It is very strongly associated with sour grapes from the losers and legitimizing the view that the EU and the UK state (I mean that's another can of worms) only allow democracy to happen when it gives them the answer they want. Understandly that is a really loving bad look that no one has countered properly.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

A big part of why people asked for a second ref is that there were people using the leave vote to vote against their sitting pighead fucker in chief.

If the question hasn't fundamentally changed, if the outcome is not going to be different then why don't you call the 2nd ref? Nothing's going to change anyway and you get to come back and win points on the internet going I told you so.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

namesake posted:

Referendums legalised abortion in Ireland and might allow the prosecution of corrupt Mexican ex-presidents so like all questions of democracy it's about context and scope rather than 'lol letting proles directly decide something'.

Everyone asking 'y no 2nd ref?' is really missing the point that the basic circumstances and the question that would be asked would essentially be unchanged and that it has been demanded from the second that Remain lost. It is very strongly associated with sour grapes from the losers and legitimizing the view that the EU and the UK state (I mean that's another can of worms) only allow democracy to happen when it gives them the answer they want. Understandly that is a really loving bad look that no one has countered properly.

we've got ourselves a galaxy brained centrist here folks

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

An insane mind posted:

A big part of why people asked for a second ref is that there were people using the leave vote to vote against their sitting pighead fucker in chief.

If the question hasn't fundamentally changed, if the outcome is not going to be different then why don't you call the 2nd ref? Nothing's going to change anyway and you get to come back and win points on the internet going I told you so.

while "we need a do-over because we voted to die solely to spite our swine-loving prime-minister" is an idiotic explanation, it is also a true one

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Yinlock posted:

while "we need a do-over because we voted to die solely to spite our swine-loving prime-minister" is an idiotic explanation, it is also a true one

The dumbest thing people in Britain did was using a vote on an international issue to show their displeasure on a national level. But they have and surprise they want a do-over, leave's only reason to not want a second referendum is that they know they won't have such a perfect storm of idiocy again. And they still won by what...2%, 3? On an international referendum that was treated as only advisory until it was clear leave won.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

oliwan posted:

we've got ourselves a galaxy brained centrist here folks

Hey hey, as a paid up galaxy brained centrist I take offence! We're asking for a second referendum, because of Russian cheating/nasty leave voters causing M&S closures/it'll annoy Jeremy/Saint Tony told us to*

*delete as applicable

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

An insane mind posted:

The dumbest thing people in Britain did was using a vote on an international issue to show their displeasure on a national level. But they have and surprise they want a do-over, leave's only reason to not want a second referendum is that they know they won't have such a perfect storm of idiocy again. And they still won by what...2%, 3? On an international referendum that was treated as only advisory until it was clear leave won.

The "it was advisory" is a bit misleading, the Tories said they would invoke A50 if Leave won

Also remember that Brexit is really really popular for the Tories, the aftermath of the referendum was one where the Tories hoovered up millions of leave voters

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
it owns that despite her deal being voted down in literally record smashing numbers May is refusing to change anything all about it

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Jose posted:

it owns that despite her deal being voted down in literally record smashing numbers May is refusing to change anything all about it

what could she change though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Loads lol

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

MikeCrotch posted:

The "it was advisory" is a bit misleading, the Tories said they would invoke A50 if Leave won

Also remember that Brexit is really really popular for the Tories, the aftermath of the referendum was one where the Tories hoovered up millions of leave voters

Ok, I misunderstood how stupid the Tories were being about the referendum but, tell me, if Brexit is so super duper popular and the Tories are hoovering up leavers left and right why did May's attempt to concolidate Tory power go so catastrophically?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

El Perkele posted:

what could she change though

everything

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
superinjunctions are dumb as poo poo which is why australian newspapers all ran full page blackout censored articles on their front page about how some mystery member of the catholic church was convicted of historical child sex offences but we're not allowed to report on it gosh whatever could you do to find out, when the internet exists

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

An insane mind posted:

Ok, I misunderstood how stupid the Tories were being about the referendum but, tell me, if Brexit is so super duper popular and the Tories are hoovering up leavers left and right why did May's attempt to concolidate Tory power go so catastrophically?

Basically because Tory MPs are much more split on whether hard/soft/no brexit is a good idea than Tory voters and members are (who want insanely hard brexit yesterday)

Also don't forget that Theresa May was being talked about as the most popular prime minister in history prior to spectacularly loving up the 2017 election

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Do soyper injections appley to phasebook and Tweeter?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I remember reading about some people having vested financial interests in Brexit happening. Do you know examples and how this could even work at all? I can't come up with any examples short of people literally placing bets on Brexit happening.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ted hitler posted:

Do soyper injections appley to phasebook and Tweeter?

idk about the uk but in australia, technically yes. iirc a state supreme court issued a worldwide injunction against twitter who said "lol we cannot police anonymous user content for whatever random thing you dont want people to talk about" and the response was something like "uh but you haven't PROVED that you can't do it!". i don't think anything actually happened enforcement wise, predictably.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Honj Steak posted:

I remember reading about some people having vested financial interests in Brexit happening. Do you know examples and how this could even work at all? I can't come up with any examples short of people literally placing bets on Brexit happening.

itll create immediate insane problems with taxation and services and stuff that will provide lots of great opportunities for privatising poo poo and also just outright embezzling public money

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Honj Steak posted:

Post-Soviet Russia, but the UK.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Farm Frenzy posted:

itll create immediate insane problems with taxation and services and stuff that will provide lots of great opportunities for privatising poo poo and also just outright embezzling public money

The last bit is already happening, No Deal contracts are going to Tories and their relatives but 'twas ever thus in Westminster

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

£14m was promised to a ferry company with no ships and a ToS taken from a food delivery company to operate a service between two ports which aren't functional and can't be ready in time lol

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Honj Steak posted:

You could short sell British stocks or the pound, buy stock in competitors of British firms, or use your pounds to buy euros or dollars.

These are probably the simplest ways, but you could also probably find opportunities to invest in firms that would benefit from a chaotic brexit in ways that aren’t immediately apparent. If you’ve got a lot of money to invest it could be worth a lot of time and trouble to figure out since you could make a fortune.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Jose posted:

Loads lol

I remember when she became PM, a Tory MP (who knows who) leaked "she is the stupidest person we have in the party" - that was on Radio 4 6pm news.

Whoever that was was right, and no, she can't change anything because she literally doesn't understand how to do that.

Stopped listening to R4 not long after and only R6 now, it doesn't give me panic attacks.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Honj Steak posted:

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/brexit/what-will-the-uk-government-officially-ration-first-in-2019

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

hakimashou posted:

You could short sell British stocks or the pound, buy stock in competitors of British firms, or use your pounds to buy euros or dollars.

These are probably the simplest ways, but you could also probably find opportunities to invest in firms that would benefit from a chaotic brexit in ways that aren’t immediately apparent. If you’ve got a lot of money to invest it could be worth a lot of time and trouble to figure out since you could make a fortune.

I LOVE MY ASSAULT RIFLE 15 WITH ITS HIGH CAPACITY CLIP/MAGAZINE

hell yeah post with us in the guns thread

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Honj Steak posted:

scooping up supply contracts and selling the chopped up corpses of freshly privatised public infrastructure you purchased for pence on the pound

edit-

oh my god

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Honj Steak posted:

The funniest example is that 200 million pounds were earmarked for shipping companies to take on some of the burden of transport in the case of Brexiting with no trade deal in place. 14 of those went to a company that was created just to siphon off some of that government dime, owns no ships, and whose Terms of Service are entirely based around pizza delivery. There's a ton of grifts like this already happening, most of them a bit more subtle, but a huge chunk of the treasury is inevitably going to end up in private pockets due to a mix of government incompetence and deliberate embezzlement.

The pizza ferry services and constant public statements like "there will be adequate food (no we will not explain why we believe this or show any preparations we've made to ensure it)," "ok maybe we won't get broccoli but you can bet the nation will be able to live off rice and beans" have also made it clear that any Brexit deal will result in massive shortages, so loads of people with capitalist tendencies have begun amassing stockpiles of food and products that they intend to sell to impoverished Brits at a huge markup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics