Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you really care about the unjust bans, go post in QCS. I've seen unfair bans reversed there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

paternity suitor posted:

So when discussing Trump's polling yesterday, it came up that the main thing to monitor is not necessarily his overall approval, but his GOP approval, because that's the number the ghouls in congress are looking at so they don't get primaried by crossing him.

From an NPR Poll: https://www.npr.org/2019/01/17/6855...m_medium=social

Ohhhh that's the good poo poo right there

don't stop

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

So how does this shutdown end, realistically? I don't know much about politics but one of the most frustrating thing about the last couple years is finding out that public opinion doesn't actually count for a drat thing, and I'm appalled that he still has 83% of Republicans still approving of what he's doing anyway. Like I don't understand what mechanisms are even in place to prevent him from just stamping his foot indefinitely.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Your Taint posted:

If they got banned for rules that weren't even in place when they made the offending posts, that's some bullshit.
Yeah, they should have been permabanned for the myriad rules they broke that were already in place.

Phenotype posted:

So how does this shutdown end, realistically? I don't know much about politics but one of the most frustrating thing about the last couple years is finding out that public opinion doesn't actually count for a drat thing, and I'm appalled that he still has 83% of Republicans still approving of what he's doing anyway. Like I don't understand what mechanisms are even in place to prevent him from just stamping his foot indefinitely.
This week, McConnell gets enough defecting senators that his Leadership position is in danger and allows a vote. Trump either vetoes the vote and accepts ALL the blame of the shutdown, by himself, or backs down like the coward he is.

Next week, McConnell is basically deposed and someone else drinks the poisoned chalice, brings the CR to a vote, and Trump either vetoes or backs down - but in this version, there's already enough defecting Republican senators to override the veto!

This week or next week, possibly even February 1st if the Republicans have some serious balls/are utterly craven.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 17, 2019

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Phenotype posted:

There aren't any. Barring his own party turning on him, that is

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

paternity suitor posted:

So when discussing Trump's polling yesterday, it came up that the main thing to monitor is not necessarily his overall approval, but his GOP approval, because that's the number the ghouls in congress are looking at so they don't get primaried by crossing him.

From an NPR Poll: https://www.npr.org/2019/01/17/6855...m_medium=social

Yeah this is the kind of movement that can make a difference.

Also, Rudy's latest in an odd sort of way made me feel better. Like, I'm always thinking "I've become numb to all this crazyness and that's a terrible thing" but then I see that clip of Rudy, am freshly astonished, and I realize I'm not completely dead inside yet. Thanks Rudy.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ohhhh that's the good poo poo right there

don't stop

https://twitter.com/mikedelmoro/status/1085879042216095744?s=21

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What about GOP approval in general? If that isn’t going down, then trump can happen all over again.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

When you are losing ANY white evangelicals, that is not a good sign.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

What’s even more fun about this is that if trump is forced to cave due to polling pressure and allows a clean CR to go through, he’s going to lose some chuds while maybe gaining back only some of the low-info ‘economy’ republican voters he’s losing right now.

He can’t win and it’s wonderful.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

When it mentioned bags of cash I thought it was an exaggeration not real

https://mobile.twitter.com/PhilipRucker/status/1085879108221861888

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Phenotype posted:

It does matter. It just needs to matter in a way that affects the people in power, which is public sentiment crossing a threshold that makes them fear losing their jobs.

Two things are currently happening: 1) Trump's approval ratings are plummeting, and 2) the economy is being hurt

As 1 continues, it becomes more politically palatable for the GOP to turn on him
As 2 continues, the moneyed interests begin to turn on him (they are already mostly there because of his idiotic trade war)

loving McConnell could open the government today. He's afraid of turning on Trump. Trump's power is his popularity among GOP voters, and GOP congresspeople being afraid to cross him. The crossover point where it becomes politically expedient to cross him is different depending on what area they represent, so that's why you see vulnerable GOP folks already doing it. As the numbers get worse more will turn, and eventually Mitch will order the override and re-open.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

When you are losing ANY white evangelicals, that is not a good sign.
No kidding. White evangelicals are programmed to never doubt the GOP; you have to severely gently caress up as a Republican to lose someone who literally believes god will punish them for eternity for voting Dem.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Cable Guy posted:

Yeah, that seems a little draconian and frankly wrong.

Can you guys do something about it...? Executive pardons? Clemency?

I am not a D&D mod and I have no idea what's going on so don't drag my black rear end into this 😂😂

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pollyanna posted:

What about GOP approval in general? If that isn’t going down, then trump can happen all over again.

They never learn anyways, so that is a silly question

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

IIRC we've seen a drop in the number of people identifying as R, but an increase in independents, which is probably just shy conservatives refusing to admit they're GOP. They'll almost certainly go back once this is all over with. I can't recall seeing anything that suggests the GOP brand has been permanently damaged. Among white people anyway.

But then again, demographic trends may render how white people feel about the GOP irrelevant pretty soon.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The one true way to destroy his ratings with white men.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cable Guy posted:

Yeah, that seems a little draconian and frankly wrong.

Can you guys do something about it...? Executive pardons? Clemency?

I'm just the librarian, I have no power outside my shelves

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm just the librarian, I have no power outside my shelves

Wow check out the politician over here.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don’t even understand the original tweet. Why would someone be crying in that situation anyway.

Plus what kind of amateur flyer doesn’t take all the metal poo poo off and throw it into a bag while standing in the line? God the people who are just starting to unload their stuff right at the conveyer belt are so annoying. You had at least 20 minutes of waiting in line to do that!

E: Are they crying because they are meeting their hero or are they crying because they are meeting Ben Shapiro?

He's making fun of this nascent genre of tweet:
https://twitter.com/RashidaTlaib/status/1084910933141585921
https://twitter.com/RepSchneider/status/1085293583853383685
https://twitter.com/KatrinaPierson/status/1085350617571311616

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

It'll really plummet if chuds don't get their tax returns.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

RU-DY! RU-DY! RU-DY!

https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1024043915484254209?s=19

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

It's always funny to see them hedge.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

One of these things is not like the others; one of these things just doesn't belong...

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

This is how utterly uncanny the right is at messaging. The GOP is the reason why the shutdown is ongoing and Mitch is keeping the CR from getting a vote in the Senate, but they've got everyone convinced it's Democrats that are holding us all back.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Star Man posted:

This is how utterly uncanny the right is at messaging. The GOP is the reason why the shutdown is ongoing and Mitch is keeping the CR from getting a vote in the Senate, but they've got everyone convinced it's Democrats that are holding us all back.

Polls would indicate that no, they do not.

E: That lady, Katrina Pierson, is the crazy "bullet farmer" GOP operative who went on TV once wearing a necklace made out of bullets. She's hardly representative of public opinion.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

captainblastum posted:

Yeah that was some serious loving garbage right there and the mods ought to be ashamed of themselves for it.

You’re welcome for taking out the trash

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Star Man posted:

lol yes trump media people saying "dems bad" is proof that they are true savants at messaging

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The "in unison" part is how you know it's definitely a lie.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Star Man posted:

Do you only get your news from Brietbart?

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

Lol that tweet is very STDH

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Your Taint posted:

Don’t worry, Trump’s already got that covered with indentured servitude.

”The Washington Post” posted:

WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service is recalling about 46,000 of its employees furloughed by the government shutdown — nearly 60 percent of its workforce — to handle tax returns and pay out refunds. The employees won’t be paid during the shutdown.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Pollyanna posted:

GOP approval is down a net of 10 points, from 90-7 to 83-10.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Yeah even if they aren’t just lying you’ll always find the one person supporting the GOP even if they lost so much Job would feel pity for them. It just depends on how much they get signal boosted as “this is everyone”

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Loucks posted:

LT2012 was occasionally entertaining imo, but more importantly it’s 100% bullshit to perma posters by enforcing rules that weren’t in effect when/where they posted. There is no need to be “fair to the mods” when they make indefensible decisions.

they weren’t punished for breaking cspam rules they were punished for being terrible posters

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Polls would indicate that no, they do not.

Look, I live in central Wyoming. I know like five people that know this is all Mitch and Trump's manufactured crisis while I am stuck living among chuds.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Star Man posted:

Look, I live in central Wyoming. I know like five people

I've never met anyone who knew all the people in their home state :v:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Mods please unperma Leon Trotsky 2012 and then make it so he can only post in the BWM thread from now on, for his own good. We need him. :ohdear:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Rudy needs a loving mute button so you can actually explain to him how he's loving up as a lawyer.

Mueller doesn't have evidence of collusion? gently caress, *I* have evidence of collusion. The entire Internet has first hand access to all the evidence necessary. This is kangaroo court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Triskelli posted:

“Where on the Hill is Senator Mitch McConnell” does match the right number of syllables.
It would be great if SNL got the Carmen sandiego song guys to do a version of that for them but that would be funny and SNL can't have that

Also the chief is dead :<
Government Shutdown is a hell of a presidential debuff

Your Taint posted:

The country will be literally on fire if it lasts that long anyways.