Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that's the power of his stand

he just has a weird fishing rod, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Its a stem

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

He was born without a head or neck, it’s just a giant tumor

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

I've been binging on Diamond is Unbreakable and love all the stupid band references so far, but spent a solid 5 loving minutes drunk laughing when I heard Boyz 2 Men as stand name last night

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

nothing but respect for MY president

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Grapplejack posted:

Mitch McConnell isn't president bud

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Please do not compare good turtle Coco Jumbo to the turtle that was so awful he was exiled for life from the turtle community.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Please clap.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I fear for people named Pesci in mafia movies

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Grapplejack posted:

I like to think he's the same turtle that Josuke saved at the beginning of Part 4.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I really hope somebody in mafia decided that they need a turtle with that specific stand, so now Italy is full of superpowered turtles that can shoot spikes, sing real loud or spawn bridges.

Also, I was wondering if anyone here knows, but is JoJo seen as extremely gay in Japan, too? I know that they have slightly different stereotypes, and people have discussed how Araki is, allegedly, just eccentric (I still don't buy it, but whatever), but this part feels like anime Rocky Horror in terms of just how gay everything is. And if so, what does LGBT community over there thinks of it?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Vookatos posted:

I really hope somebody in mafia decided that they need a turtle with that specific stand, so now Italy is full of superpowered turtles that can shoot spikes, sing real loud or spawn bridges.

Also, I was wondering if anyone here knows, but is JoJo seen as extremely gay in Japan, too? I know that they have slightly different stereotypes, and people have discussed how Araki is, allegedly, just eccentric (I still don't buy it, but whatever), but this part feels like anime Rocky Horror in terms of just how gay everything is. And if so, what does LGBT community over there thinks of it?

Araki has acknowledged in an interview that Part 5 is pretty homoerotic, even though he didn't consciously intend it to be.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Vookatos posted:

It's not weird for him to appear on daytime television for interviews and they put his art in the Lourve and Gucci wanted to partner with him so everyone everywhere loves JoJo

Also don't speculate on people's sexuality, that's not something you "dont buy", regardless of the man having a wife and children

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 15, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Silver2195 posted:

Araki has acknowledged in an interview that Part 5 is pretty homoerotic, even though he didn't consciously intend it to be.

But he made two characters a gay couple notorious for sneaking away to bang.

And that's not even getting into the face lick.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Vookatos posted:

jojo is often so insanely gay that it flips around to being super straight, and then sometimes goes ever further into gay again

basically, don't think about it too hard

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

But he made two characters a gay couple notorious for sneaking away to bang.

And that's not even getting into the face lick.

Sorbet and Gelato are not exactly major characters.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Expect My Mom posted:

Also don't speculate on people's sexuality, that's not something you "dont buy", regardless of the man having a wife and children
Oh no, I wasn't referring to his sexuality, more just about the fact that he acts totally oblivious to how homoerotic his manga is. We don't live in a society where a bunch of twinks wearing pink hearts and touching each other is perceived as anything but gay, so unless Japan is really different about that, I don't see how anyone could act surprised about that.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Vookatos posted:

unless Japan is really different about that

There we go.
Bodybuilder are seen as homoerotic in Japan, but pretty boys are one of the local beauty ideals.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

What’s seen as stereotypically gay, like what’s seen as conventionally attractive, has changed over time too. What one generation thinks is effeminate or cool is different from what the next generation does. In 80s Japan Phantom Blood looked cool, now it’s looks gayer than Golden Wind, which looks mega-gay to your average American dude.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jan 16, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Vookatos posted:

Oh no, I wasn't referring to his sexuality, more just about the fact that he acts totally oblivious to how homoerotic his manga is. We don't live in a society where a bunch of twinks wearing pink hearts and touching each other is perceived as anything but gay, so unless Japan is really different about that, I don't see how anyone could act surprised about that.
ah sorry my b

i think an important thing to remember is that jojo has always taken influence from fashion culture. araki has always looked through photoshoots and catalogs and taken almost exact poses and outfits from them, regardless of the gender of the wearer or the context of the shot. a shot of a man and woman can easily be josuke and okuyasu posing together, or giorno and gold experience grinding on each other. this seems to be araki's favorite aesthetic for beauty and high fashion has never really been super concerned with strict heterosexuality.

it's not that anyone is surprised, or that araki acts oblivious, it's just what he really likes to draw and readers everywhere have jumped aboard. it's why a lot of queer western anime fans love JoJo so much, as not only does it look flamboyant with little regard to sexuality, but there's also not much in the text to prevent you from reading it as gay, being totally open to that interpretation. jonathan and dio have this deep rivalry and respect for each other, joseph and caesar climb a big, lubbed up rod together, josuke and okuyasu are always seen together, abbacchio talks about how much bruno means to him and then david adds an anime original scene of the two of them staring into each other's eyes in silence in the rain for twenty seconds.

araki absolutely stumbles at points, but it never feels malicious like Oda and One Pieces does sometimes, it seems to be araki just kind of getting lost.

jojo is gay and having fun and never really tells you not to have fun

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Expect My Mom posted:

jonathan and dio have this deep rivalry and respect for each other, joseph and caesar climb a big, lubbed up rod together, josuke and okuyasu are always seen together, abbacchio talks about how much bruno means to him and then david adds an anime original scene of the two of them staring into each other's eyes in silence in the rain for twenty seconds.

Don't forget Kakyoin asking Jotaro if he could have his cherries, then swirling them around on his tongue.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Expect My Mom posted:

jonathan and dio have this deep rivalry and respect for each other,

Also Dio must have, at some point, touched Jonathan's dick. And he clearly loves his body, too.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also Dio must have, at some point, touched Jonathan's dick. And he clearly loves his body, too.
Wouldn't Giorno have more of a legitimate claim to the Joestar wealth, such as it may be, than even Joseph? Technically he's Jonathan's son.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Expect My Mom posted:

joseph and caesar climb a big, lubbed up rod together

I never put that together, gently caress.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Nessus posted:

Wouldn't Giorno have more of a legitimate claim to the Joestar wealth, such as it may be, than even Joseph? Technically he's Jonathan's son.

It'd be a hard case to make in a court of law, how would you even go about proving paternity in the first place? And then, accounting for the circumstances of the paternity?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm pretty sure most of the ancestral Joestar wealth died in the fire. I'd say more of the Joestar money nowadays is from Joseph's own real estate investments.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nessus posted:

Good luck proving that in court. He might be able to claim a portion of the wealth as the son of DIO but I doubt the 'fathers body reanimated by a vampire head' excuse would fly.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Blaze Dragon posted:

drat you're right. DIO was obsessed with mastering that body, he probably focused super hard on getting Jonathan's hog to work just right.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm pretty sure most of the ancestral Joestar wealth died in the fire. I'd say more of the Joestar money nowadays is from Joseph's own real estate investments.

Not to mention the Speedwagon Foundation

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Remind me (also start a long derail)

Was Josuke conceived during part 3?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Remind me (also start a long derail)

Was Josuke conceived during part 3?

Before, his stand became active at the same time as Holly's

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Glagha posted:

I never put that together, gently caress.

While covered in oil, no less.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Just caught up on the last three episodes and the Purple Haze fight made me realize there's been barely any censorship in the violent scenes lately (if at all in this season?). Did the anime move to a later timeslot in Japan or does CR get some kind of uncensored version? By Stardust Crusaders logic half the picture should have been blotted out in some of the goriest bits.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Have they always announced a new opening before the episode airs?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

RatHat posted:

Yeah, as far as I remember.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Star Platinum posted:

Just caught up on the last three episodes and the Purple Haze fight made me realize there's been barely any censorship in the violent scenes lately (if at all in this season?). Did the anime move to a later timeslot in Japan or does CR get some kind of uncensored version? By Stardust Crusaders logic half the picture should have been blotted out in some of the goriest bits.

That, and these last few eps have been sleepin on the sfx graphics.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
i just finished watching middle manager tonegawa (best anime of 2018) and needed to share my astonishment that tonegawa is voiced by toshiyuki morikawa (kira yoshikage). now thats range!

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

somepartsareme posted:

i just finished watching middle manager tonegawa (best anime of 2018) and needed to share my astonishment that tonegawa is voiced by toshiyuki morikawa (kira yoshikage). now thats range!

I tripped over that show by accident and drat, it's really good.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

RatHat posted:

New opening already ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

New opening already ?

Well if there's 39 episodes total we're already more than a third of the way through