Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your favorite swear word?
View Results

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
New pc, played some campaign, about to pub

But before that lemme just say how awesome it is seeing my customized but pretty default squad show up in the background art. They may use default assets but they use MY character :911: :britain: :france:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
My initial quick review of Squad Conquest: It is a stupid version of Frontlines, with not enough of players on map. It emphasises the faults of the game to maximum. Also it's Conquest, so it's bad to begin with

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

conquest is the most fun mode, it's just, not in this battlefield

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Conquest is the only mode in battlefield :colbert:

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Conquest: Lets get 64 people on one server and create a game mode that makes them interact as little as possible

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Klisejo posted:

So I started playing around with this instead of reshade, and it's definitely easier to tinker with on the fly, and I think it is easier on performance.

Side note: It had an overlay called Stickers. They're just png files you can find in the folder:

C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Ansel\ShaderMod

So you just replace the bullshit cats photos or whatever in there with crosshairs or reddots for the front post on your irons, adjust the size, placement, opacity, ect. Obv there have been other programs that do this, but this one lets you do it in fullscreen, which is new to me.

I tried doing this but for some reason my square 4x4 pixel dot is huge on my Ultrawide, what dimensions did you do for your sticker?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

jisforjosh posted:

I tried doing this but for some reason my square 4x4 pixel dot is huge on my Ultrawide, what dimensions did you do for your sticker?

The sticker has to be within the confines of a 908x669 png or it gets weird. Whether that's a specific ratio it needs or an exact size I don't know, but it's more than enough for a dot or chevron of basically any type. Try this.

Original dot and chevron I did

Dot that's color corrected to essentially be a night iron sight dot because I'm weird (it works better than you'd think)

A non-transparent basis that I've been using to try to get everything as centered as possible

Penpal posted:

conquest is the most fun mode, it's just, not in this battlefield

Remember when they said they were changing it from how conquest worked in BF1 and everyone got all excited? lol

E: Get used to Squad Conquest because it also gates out next week's stuff for the Mas which is a semi-auto rifle for Assault.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 17, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I really don't think I'll buy another DICE FPS. The patches have been beyond garbage, there are like, 5 maps and content is coming in at such a slow drip that I just can't give a gently caress. The worst part is how much I liked this poo poo at the start. I practically conned my friends IRL into getting it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Glenn Quebec posted:

I really don't think I'll buy another DICE FPS.

Hate to say it, but :same:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Glenn Quebec posted:

I really don't think I'll buy another DICE FPS. The patches have been beyond garbage, there are like, 5 maps and content is coming in at such a slow drip that I just can't give a gently caress. The worst part is how much I liked this poo poo at the start. I practically conned my friends IRL into getting it.

eh it's like $5 a month to play the next dice fps which even if it lasts you two months thats only $10. i'll probably go that route next time.

I'll buy Bad Company 3: 2143 in a heartbeat tho

but if it's just another modern warfare reskin of bf5 except with ak47s and c4 instead of dynamite or w/e and all the same poo poo in practicality, i'll probably pass unless it does something radically different (i.e. built for 32-40 players max from the ground up + other things). also i'm getting :corsair:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
It's just not fun. They radically change weapons on a whim, they gently caress up even the most basic sort of patching. poo poo like the killcam and massively crunching footfalls are beyond stupid. 8v8 frontlines -- what the gently caress is going on over there? They can't even implement basic stuff like dragging - it took six loving weeks to add ducking behind a machine gun turret on a vehicle and before that the aim was all hosed up. Nevermind AA guns blasting people out of their spawn planes before they even got a chance to jump then to go polar opposite and make AA guns loving suck dick. No one complained about the damage AA did to planes, only getting shot out of the spawn plane before your loading screen was finished loading. This is literally one of the worst games I've ever seen in terms of balance, patching and gameplay loop. They hosed up their company coins so you can't unlock poo poo. This is an actual garbage game made by people who don't give a gently caress.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I like the game and even I'll admit its release and first two content drops and associated patches have been total trainwrecks, even by DICE standards

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
I actually thought the first patch was pretty much incredibly good, except not going far enough with SMGS and maybe overnerfing some figher stuff, especially by DICE standards.

I admit I have not played the new patch yet having been bogged down in work, but all the balance changes (that were listed anyways, i.e. excluding "secret" nerfs to AA or w/e) seemed good on paper but it does sound super buggy which is not cool.

ToW CH1 was pretty loving awful though, that poo poo's embarrasingly bad and they shouldn't have done that. Even aside from awful tracking for most people, forcing people to play stupid modes they don't enjoy (GOps) or use stupid item gimmicks like Med Crate, or just trivial easy like throw 10 ammo packs at people, is just a loving terrible way to do it. Just make it get XXX experience by playing for each milestone and be done with it.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Fart Car '97 posted:

I like the game and even I'll admit its release and first two content drops and associated patches have been total trainwrecks, even by DICE standards

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

Another quote post

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Played last night and in addition to the footsteps being too loud here are my other thoughts on the patch, since I know you all care.

- Medic guns can actually kill some things now maybe to 20 meters? I will actually play the class some now.
- Revive time remaining circle/UI element being broken is my #1 desired fix at this point.
- Kill camera is trash.
- Flare gun is actually a good option now. Should be taken if you are going recon for closer in maps/fights but I would still take spotting scope for Hamada for example.
- I don't play vehicles/planes/AA emplacements so no real comment on that stuff.
- my settings don't seem to have been changed but the brightness/bloom seems to have been enhanced, anyone else have this happen?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

tangy yet delightful posted:

- my settings don't seem to have been changed but the brightness/bloom seems to have been enhanced, anyone else have this happen?

I was having a really hard time seeing things outside when I was indooors. looking out at rotterdam streets looked like the level was extremely foggy and I couldn’t see very far, then going out where I was exposed suddenly cleared everything up and I could suddenly see a lot more. It was weird and felt like the beta, when that effect was way more exaggerated

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
They might have done something to try to stop people from sitting in houses shooting out of them, but more likely, they just broke something again because their patching at this point just involves changing random numbers in the code.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Fart Car '97 posted:

The most confusing poo poo has been the communication from dice. Why even have like 3 cms on reddit if you're not gonna tell them when the next chapter launches? Was it really that good of an idea to not have the new vehicles locked until feb? Or not even giving us estimates on when major issues are gonna be fixed, like frontlines?

I didn't expect much from tides of war though. I figured it was gonna be a slow drip of content. I'm still annoyed that they haven't even put out a roadmap, or given any sort of idea of how many maps they're aiming for by summer.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Symetrique posted:

I didn't expect much from tides of war though. I figured it was gonna be a slow drip of content. I'm still annoyed that they haven't even put out a roadmap, or given any sort of idea of how many maps they're aiming for by summer.

Yeah, same. Honestly what I want the most at this point is just new maps.

I am also really enjoying the improved spotting flares. They're great.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I said it on discord once: in any other industry, delivering a product with this level of quality would get you fired.

The thing that annoys me most is not that the game is only half complete, or that there are things that need fixing. But that they introduce even more ridiculously broken things and don't seem at all phased by it.

If I delivered that kind of quality in my job I would be deeply ashamed of myself. And out of a job.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

DrPop posted:

Yeah, same. Honestly what I want the most at this point is just new maps.

I am also really enjoying the improved spotting flares. They're great.

Panzerstorm barely counts as a map too, considering it's only conquest. Guess that's similar to giants shadow at release though.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Shima Honnou posted:

The sticker has to be within the confines of a 908x669 png or it gets weird. Whether that's a specific ratio it needs or an exact size I don't know, but it's more than enough for a dot or chevron of basically any type. Try this.

Original dot and chevron I did

Dot that's color corrected to essentially be a night iron sight dot because I'm weird (it works better than you'd think)

A non-transparent basis that I've been using to try to get everything as centered as possible

How do you set the sticker to be on your iron sights? I'm not too savvy about which settings need to be changed.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Chillyrabbit posted:

How do you set the sticker to be on your iron sights? I'm not too savvy about which settings need to be changed.

It's automatically centered on your screen, you shouldn't need to change it since irons are also at center of screen., tho there is x,y adjustments if you really need to move it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I am guessing sadly the people they brought in to do Incursions for BF1 must be the poor bastards now working on this then. God help us all.

At least the Squad Conquest stuff is registering fine now and you can change your company gear in the deployment screen?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
still lolling at incursions and dice thinking bf could be competitive or that its player base even wanted it to be

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
oh hey, FYI, the new squad conquest is a loving blast when you have people that afk or crash out and the game doesnt boot them! Bonus when the matchmaker adds people to the other side so it's even more stupidly stacked. That, on top of the killcam delay, makes it a fantastically fun mode. Thanks DICE!

edit: lol, maybe I should just go mercenary and afk for three rounds instead of playing this poo poo.

edit2: I forgot how bad pubbies can be when it counts

Mizaq fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 17, 2019

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

'Oh man this SQUAD CONQUEST sure is a neat mode!'

*nobody bothers playing squad leader*

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hopper posted:

I said it on discord once: in any other industry, delivering a product with this level of quality would get you fired.

The thing that annoys me most is not that the game is only half complete, or that there are things that need fixing. But that they introduce even more ridiculously broken things and don't seem at all phased by it.

If I delivered that kind of quality in my job I would be deeply ashamed of myself. And out of a job.

Yeah this has to be one of the worst :dice: releases in terms of post-launch support. I mean the CC issue isn't anywhere close to addressed despite their claims. Every patch seems to break something that you never really thought about till they hosed with it.

I mean, I loved Battlefield 4 at launch despite it's issues and it feels like they really tackled all the problems that game had in a timely manner, but this has been so lackluster.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Having played Battlefield since BF2, I'll always think of conquest as being the BF mode, but breakthrough honestly just works better. The idea of a huge map with multiple fronts and flanking sounds really appealing, but nobody ever actually plays it like that--it always boils down to playing musical chairs, hopping from one point to another without bothering to defend, which actually works out better for both teams.

Breakthrough concentrates all the action on one to three fronts, placed relatively close to each other, which means defenders have to actually defend and points are always contested. And maybe most importantly, you'll never be stranded on foot at a far-off spawn point, running for two minutes straight just to get to the closest action.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013

Mizaq posted:

oh hey, FYI, the new squad conquest is a loving blast when you have people that afk or crash out and the game doesnt boot them! Bonus when the matchmaker adds people to the other side so it's even more stupidly stacked. That, on top of the killcam delay, makes it a fantastically fun mode. Thanks DICE!

edit: lol, maybe I should just go mercenary and afk for three rounds instead of playing this poo poo.

edit2: I forgot how bad pubbies can be when it counts

The afk player issue was and is one of my main gripes about the Squad Conquest. Even a single afk player does a lot of harm.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Chillyrabbit posted:

I've got my stuff set as close to pixel perfect center as possible, all you'd need to do is drop those into the correct folder and name them such that they replace the original stickers and you're good. Those two examples also shouldn't really need resized, they're just about perfect for where I'd want them size-wise.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

404notfound posted:

Having played Battlefield since BF2, I'll always think of conquest as being the BF mode, but breakthrough honestly just works better. The idea of a huge map with multiple fronts and flanking sounds really appealing, but nobody ever actually plays it like that--it always boils down to playing musical chairs, hopping from one point to another without bothering to defend, which actually works out better for both teams.

Breakthrough concentrates all the action on one to three fronts, placed relatively close to each other, which means defenders have to actually defend and points are always contested. And maybe most importantly, you'll never be stranded on foot at a far-off spawn point, running for two minutes straight just to get to the closest action.

BF1942 and BF2 mods solved this by having some more vital or critical points being 2-3 player minimum to take and hold. I still think this is the best solution to the never ending magic roundabout of conquest.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I miss battlefield mods :(

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal

Chazani posted:

The afk player issue was and is one of my main gripes about the Squad Conquest. Even a single afk player does a lot of harm.

oh and the matchmaker put in a clan group 3 out of 4 in game but they have a closed squad waiting for their 4th player so the 8th person is stuck by himself.

Ouch, it sucks going from two squads that talk to each other to 3 people where the other 2 don't have a mic and/or dont use it. Player drop off is brutal!

Mizaq fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 17, 2019

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Shima Honnou posted:

I've got my stuff set as close to pixel perfect center as possible, all you'd need to do is drop those into the correct folder and name them such that they replace the original stickers and you're good. Those two examples also shouldn't really need resized, they're just about perfect for where I'd want them size-wise.

I think I'm missing some context for how those stickers work.

I went into that nvidia stickers folder, deleted the cat pics, and put in a new sticker from your post that I renamed to sticker01. My thought is that I need to turn on a setting to acknowledge that I want to draw that sticker in game over the ironsights, since I never had any cat pics on top of my ironsights.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

404notfound posted:

Yeah Breakthrough is the best mode, the problem is, it really cannot handle 64 players with all the game "choices" (low # tanks to no transports, defender spawns being super close, kinda small maps with too many narrow areas on some maps, limited flank routes with non-sensicial out of bounds areas). Or rather, it can, just a ton of flaws become readily apparent that wouldn't, and aren't, there with smaller count.

Frontlines 32p solves a lot of this and is a great mode, but FL itself kinda feels ultra tug of war-y with no progress either way (devastation FL I'm looking at you) and sometimes you want that A/D flavor as it can go on for along time if you are just pubbing. Ideally Breakthrough would be 32-40 players max and just leave Conquest as The 64 Player Sandbox Fuckoff I'm Practicing Sniping Over Here mode

BC2 rush was still perfect and dice hasn't come close to topping that mode at all :colbert:

Xaris fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 17, 2019

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Breakthrough heavily favors one side and jams too many players into a clusterfuck. It’s bad.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Chillyrabbit posted:

I think I'm missing some context for how those stickers work.

I went into that nvidia stickers folder, deleted the cat pics, and put in a new sticker from your post that I renamed to sticker01. My thought is that I need to turn on a setting to acknowledge that I want to draw that sticker in game over the ironsights, since I never had any cat pics on top of my ironsights.

Did you move the cat one around? You'll want it to be set at X 50 and Y 50. The settings reset after computer reboot but don't reset between boots of the game so if you moved it around before it would still be at that location until you restart the computer. I think there's also a button you can press that just centers the image on the screen as well. I run one monitor at 1080 so I can't say if it's an issue with multimonitor or wider screens or whatever, though.

Basically all I gotta do is hit alt F3, pick a tab, and tell it I want a sticker and it's all set from there for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah this has to be one of the worst :dice: releases in terms of post-launch support. I mean the CC issue isn't anywhere close to addressed despite their claims.

No way. The development team is so much engaged with the community than ever before.