Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
That's pretty much what I pictured when I thought about crimping with these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Printing ABS at 260C saw fewer flaws with this piece, though since I'm doing different parts it's hard to judge if that's the only difference. Once it cools down it's popping right off the PEI. I'm fuckin' impressed that wimpy support tower made it. Support was there for a 90 degree overhang on the lower right side of the piece.

Pretty good testament to bed adhesion here, the part can't balance like that on its own.

e: FYI for those curious, the IC3D big 5 lb\2.3kg spools WILL fit inside the cheap dehydrator.

Barely. Worked well though, lost 15g of weight after an overnight run in it.

PirateDentist fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 11, 2019

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Wow, you've really gone to the limit for filament drying in a $40 dehydrator with that roll!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-WTbGupxbk

I won one of each of the three filament sample subscription boxes in a giveaway. So far I've gotten a Maker Box and an Alien 3D box. Both are pretty cool but I figure I'll wait until I get the third to go over what I think about all of them. The one thing that stands out about the Alien 3D box so far is that the $36 box gives you 6 filament samples, some other samples (I got a micro swiss A2 hardened and plated nozzle) and then a project that's electronics but involves 3d printing in some way. The January box included an Arduino Nano clone, a 16x2 LCD and a temperature and humidity sensor (as well as a mini-USB cable) so you can make a sensor to make sure your filament is dry. I have just been getting $2 sensors on ebay that work fine but it's pretty neat to include all of that even if I'm personally nerdy enough to already have most of it. I'm not sure I'd pay $36 for the box when the contents are somewhat random but that nozzle is pretty pricey so it's kind of a nice inclusion. I just spent $20 on one for my Maker Select, although the alien 3d included one is for a different threading unfortunately.

I kind of thought these boxes were gimmicky but I think getting 20 meters of some filaments that I might want to try out is actually pretty neat and I may continue some of the subscriptions. The additional add-ins are a nice bonus and there's a bunch of stickers and discount coupons included from the contributing companies. 3d gloop included some trial bottles of their PLA goop in both boxes. They claim it can be used for bed adhesion, gluing parts together and even smoothing. That's quite the claim for PLA but I don't know if maybe there's a generic instruction card for all the boxes and some have their product for other plastics.

I guess I went on a bit more than I planned for this post but I'll do a roundup when I've gotten the third box.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Shai-Hulud posted:

You'd think so but these are special chinese XT60 plugs! All crimping all the way:

Yup.
https://youtu.be/4yDp9frWkcg
Looks like knockoff connectors with much lower contact pressure, too.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 11, 2019

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
After the pictures I checked my Ender 3 connector last night and it's in perfect condition. It has been printing non stop more or less for 3 months. So possibly poor quality control from a Chinese company....

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I always avoided printing with ABS because "fumes" but PETG is so drat goopy and slow printing that I decided to give ABS a go since I have an enclosure.

Man, ABS is so much easier to print than PETG. I haven't really noticed a smell either. Bed adhesion is a pain though. Tried hairspray, didn't work, glue stick seemed to be working this morning when I left, print was nearly done, but I could see air pockets under my brim. Is there a better way? I'd rather not do ABS/acetone goop because I'm lazy and like to be able to swap materials without having to do different bed prep.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I always avoided printing with ABS because "fumes" but PETG is so drat goopy and slow printing that I decided to give ABS a go since I have an enclosure.

Man, ABS is so much easier to print than PETG. I haven't really noticed a smell either. Bed adhesion is a pain though. Tried hairspray, didn't work, glue stick seemed to be working this morning when I left, print was nearly done, but I could see air pockets under my brim. Is there a better way? I'd rather not do ABS/acetone goop because I'm lazy and like to be able to swap materials without having to do different bed prep.

Bed at 105C (I use PET tape), print regular ABS hot as hell (280C).

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I've not even set it up, and I'm printing out parts to improve my Monoprice Delta Mini.

I'm printing out the base covers, and spool holder slipper. ... Not that I'd really do it this way, excepting I had to print stuff "now" and I'm not one to waste bed space.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Industrial ABS printers use about 270C extrusion in a 70C heated envelope and they fuse the first layer onto a disposable plastic bed.

An enclosure that you can keep at 70C (might be doable just with a large glass bed heater at 100C and good insulation) is the most involved solution, but also the best one.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I got a roll of very bright yellow (fluorescent or high visibility) PLA a while back and a friend of mine likes the color so I printed him a few things. I'm finishing up my christmas printing now that I've gotten my printers a little bit more sorted out and the utility knife handles I posted about a bit before didn't work great in PLA. They look nice but they don't hold together quite as well as the tackier feeling PETG that I used for most of them. So, I bought some semitransparent bright yellow PETG and it really pops.
Because of the varied lighting to kind of make the PETG shine I did a couple of pictures and put them in a gallery:
https://imgur.com/a/DYkmE99
This is a pretty good look at the PLA vs PETG.

The PLA is Tianse:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MS8DABT/
PETG is 3D Best-Q and is unusual because the filament actually has a texture to it:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07574VYWY/

stevewm
May 10, 2005
For those of you with Duet boards...

The Duet Web Control project is re-writing the web ui.. They have put out Duet Web Control 2...

Now has a light and dark theme. I like it much better! And it is properly "responsive" as in it works perfectly on the 7" fire tablet I mounted to the front of my printer. The old one didn't really resize itself so well. And it is considerably faster on the tablet to boot. Overall a huge improvement IMHO.

Some screen shots!

Dark Dashboard:

Dark Status:

Light Dashboard:

Light Status:

New UI Settings page:

Link: https://github.com/chrishamm/DuetWebControl/releases

Note that you MUST be running the newest Duet 2.02 firmware to use DWC 2.0.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

stevewm posted:

It's on the list...still hesitant to spring $400 as I should also get new arms, etc for my Rostock if I get a Duet, but I'm close...real close!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

stevewm posted:

The Duet Web Control project is re-writing the web ui.. They have put out Duet Web Control 2...

Now has a light and dark theme. I like it much better! And it is properly "responsive" as in it works perfectly on the 7" fire tablet I mounted to the front of my printer. The old one didn't really resize itself so well. And it is considerably faster on the tablet to boot. Overall a huge improvement IMHO.

Some screen shots!

Dark Dashboard:

Dark Status:

Light Dashboard:

Light Status:

New UI Settings page:

Link: https://github.com/chrishamm/DuetWebControl/releases

Note that you MUST be running the newest Duet 2.02 firmware to use DWC 2.0.

I did the flash a little while ago and yeah, for sure do this it's so much nicer to work with.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Sagebrush posted:

Industrial ABS printers use about 270C extrusion in a 70C heated envelope and they fuse the first layer onto a disposable plastic bed.

An enclosure that you can keep at 70C (might be doable just with a large glass bed heater at 100C and good insulation) is the most involved solution, but also the best one.

My enclosure runs about 60c, the lighting doubles as heat. I suppose I could get it in the 70C range. I've only been printing at 230C with no active cooling. Glue stick is working well, so I suppose I'll stick with that for now. Any reason a cooling fan on low speed isn't recommended?

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

My enclosure runs about 60c, the lighting doubles as heat. I suppose I could get it in the 70C range. I've only been printing at 230C with no active cooling. Glue stick is working well, so I suppose I'll stick with that for now. Any reason a cooling fan on low speed isn't recommended?

I know the idea is you want slow consistent cooling. And most coolers are directed just around the nozzle. That said, I usually run mine at the lowest speed it will go. I have an enclosure though, which will get up around 35C with the bed at 100c. I just print on to that build tak stuff that comes on the maker select.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Just to give you a datapoint, I print ABS at 235C on a 102C bed in a semi-enclosure that hovers around 52-55C with a 0.6mm volcano nozzle. Layer height 0.24mm, speed is around 9-10mm3/s (sic), no part cooling fan apart from bridges. Sometimes my ABS will even stick fine right to the bare borosillicate glass well enough but I normally use a light coating of white glue and water applied so thin that you don't see brush marks in the bottom surface of the finished print, although sometimes the first print has some on it. The coating lasts maybe 8-10kg and can be extended slightly with a misting of just water then rubbing it all over again. I am fairly particular about the bottom of my prints not looking like Babby's First Decoupage or otherwise like a f'ing mess because that's the part of the prints I make that is always visible so it has to look good.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
I finally designed and printed something useful, instead of endlessly tweaking Thingiverse tchotchkes via MeshMixer. I have a portable monitor (Asus ZenScreen) so I can take my dual monitor workflow with me when I work-travel. I wanted a way to mount it to my notebook so the whole shebang takes up less horizontal space while I'm using it.

Lonely Flex 5 Notebook:

Hastily designed clip printed on my CR10:

ZenScreen with clip attached:

Here they are happily married:

]

Gotta say I'm very pleased. It feels sturdy, clips on and off quickly, doesn't feel like it's damaging the plastic on the notebook (much...) and does exactly what needed it to do.

Anyway. That's my sunday. Happy printing everyone.

r.y.f.s.o. fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 13, 2019

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Just be careful if that's PLA. I've used a similar, yet sturdier design for the same thing. And after a few months, the lines failed one by one. ABS or PETG would likely be better.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

Golluk posted:

Just be careful if that's PLA. I've used a similar, yet sturdier design for the same thing. And after a few months, the lines failed one by one. ABS or PETG would likely be better.

Thanks for the info and yeah, my plan is to redo it using HTPLA from ProtoPasta and anneal it - otherwise I have T-Glase, generic PETG or Nylon +CF from eSun. This is prototype-y AF.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I haven't used Solidworks before but apparently they've got a maker license now. Hackaday linked this reddit post about it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/maker/comments/a9iw5i/get_solidworks_maker_licence_for_free/

quote:

Posted byu/Dsk001
19 days ago
Get solidworks maker licence for free
I received this card during maker faire and finally found it again.

Go to https://www.solidworks.com/edu-maker-download

Promo code 918MAKER

Choose current solidworks version

Select download. You serial will be delivered via email for install and activation.

I guess it doesn't hurt to sign up for it and try it out if you don't mind downloading 8 GB or whatever.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Shai-Hulud posted:

You'd think so but these are special chinese XT60 plugs! All crimping all the way:

:barf:

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
I noticed in the Makers Muse video linked above, the copied ones are just tubes, you can see right through them. While the original were solid and partially drilled out. I mean, if you changed the design to be crimped, it wouldn't be so bad.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Literally every aspect of the xt60 connector I got with my ender 3 last year is garbage compared to the mountains of amass ones I buy from hobbyking and BG, and it is immediately obvious to anyone who does RC related stuff.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
These super cheap connectors should be called XT69, guaranteed to gently caress your electronics.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Sagebrush posted:

Octoprint for the host, PrusaSlic3r for the slicer.

I haven't tried PrusaControl (and so don't know if it can be configured for any printer, or just Prusas) but I like their software in general. Give it a shot.

I still use Repetier for the cases when I need to be directly connected. It's kinda janky but it does the job.

Is there a decent diy to get ocotoprint running on a mk2s floating around that anyone knows of off the top of their browser favorites, or is it not worth the time and money?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BlackMK4 posted:

Is there a decent diy to get ocotoprint running on a mk2s floating around that anyone knows of off the top of their browser favorites, or is it not worth the time and money?

Octoprint is great but you install it onto a computer and hook that up to your printer's USB port. The OctoPi image is the easiest way to do that for the Raspberry Pi which is probably what you want. The download page has install instructions:
https://octoprint.org/download/

There's also a couple of videos about it (there's a ton but these are relatively short):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwsxO3ksxm4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XACqEA1hHU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Since the OP never mentions it, I have to ask. What is the issue with makerbot? It is just that has an ibm/sony/apple tax on the price versus say flashforge. Or is there a design problem with those printers as well?

Been looking at getting into 3d printing and already have some ideas of what I'd be building. Which also means I'd need more build space than the little ones. Came down to looking at the flash forge creator pro (I like the idea of dual heads where I could put in pva in the 2nd nozzle for the supports to dissolve later) versus a lulzbot mini 2. But is there any others to look into or some caveats that I'm missing between these two? Kind of leaning towards the flashforge for the flexibility.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

JuffoWup posted:

Since the OP never mentions it, I have to ask. What is the issue with makerbot? It is just that has an ibm/sony/apple tax on the price versus say flashforge. Or is there a design problem with those printers as well?

Been looking at getting into 3d printing and already have some ideas of what I'd be building. Which also means I'd need more build space than the little ones. Came down to looking at the flash forge creator pro (I like the idea of dual heads where I could put in pva in the 2nd nozzle for the supports to dissolve later) versus a lulzbot mini 2. But is there any others to look into or some caveats that I'm missing between these two? Kind of leaning towards the flashforge for the flexibility.

Makerbot was one of the early 3d printer manufacturers, but they now have a bad reputation. They died but they live on:
https://hackaday.com/2016/04/28/the-makerbot-obituary/
https://hackaday.com/2018/12/11/makerbot-moves-away-from-makers-with-new-printer/

I'm not that familiar with dual nozzle printers but from my understanding they can be a bit more complicated than single nozzle ones, which I think is why more companies are opting for single nozzle multiple extrusion systems, despite the extra material waste. I'm sure some posters who are more familiar with them will chime in.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If you're using OctoPi, make sure to get a 3B+ and a fast SD card. A friend of mine made me install it on his OG, or near OG Pi with the original card, and holy gently caress is it dog slow. Takes ages to boot OctoPrint. God forbid, if you wanted to run Klipper on it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

If you're using OctoPi, make sure to get a 3B+ and a fast SD card. A friend of mine made me install it on his OG, or near OG Pi with the original card, and holy gently caress is it dog slow. Takes ages to boot OctoPrint. God forbid, if you wanted to run Klipper on it.

Yeah that 1st gen pi B cpu lives on in the zero/zero W, it sucks

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Rexxed posted:

Octoprint is great but you install it onto a computer and hook that up to your printer's USB port. The OctoPi image is the easiest way to do that for the Raspberry Pi which is probably what you want. The download page has install instructions:
https://octoprint.org/download/

There's also a couple of videos about it (there's a ton but these are relatively short):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwsxO3ksxm4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XACqEA1hHU

Thank you :)

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
Ordered a Prusa mk3 on the 8th and it's getting here Friday :black101: No powdercoat board though. Looking forward to building it this weekend and seeing how many times I mess it up.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

Counterpoint, I have run OctoPrint on Pi 2B on two printers for years and have never been disappointed with the performance. It is a definite step up from the OG Pi A I was running at first though, quad core 900MHz vs single core 700MHz. That said, once you add a wifi adapter to any other Pi, you're probably close enough to Pi 3B+ cost that you should have just gotten that. Another option is the Pi 3A+, which is just as fast in the CPU department, has wifi, but has half the RAM, no Ethernet and only 1 USB port. That's plenty for OctoPrint with a single printer and $10 cheaper.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

JuffoWup posted:

In addition to the terrible design of their recent printers they also tried to patent things the community made to improve their products for them and released under gpl.

My first printer was dual extruder. It caused more issues than it solved. Dissolvable Support’s is very niche requirement. If you don’t already know exactly why you need it, chances are you don’t.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'd even say that goes for dual extrusion in general. If you don't already know exactly why you need it, chances are you don't.

Don't get dual extrusion out of a sense of future proofing or whatever.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Hah, I should say, the dual extruders was a nice touch, but not a must have. I was more concern if there was a design flaw with having the hotbed also be the z-axis as the makerbot and clones are like, or if it was just a company issue.

The flashforge is also quite a bit cheaper with not that much loss in print area compared to the mini 2. Also, it is already enclosed but I doubt I'll ever do abs because fumes is not a fun thing. My other thought though and perhaps the biggest knock on the mini 2 is the use of the 3mm filaments when most everyone is running the 1.75mm filament nowadays.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The only use for a second extruder is so you can keep printing while doing maintenance on one of them.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I think I found the cause of my issues,

Printing too cool,

been trying to hit 80mm/a with a 0.6 nozzle at 0.2 layer heights, and that's starting to max out the volumetric speed of my printer at standard print temps.

I bumped the temps up to 225 for PLA printing and that seems to have solved my issues so far.

I'm glad/frustrated it was something so simple. But oh well.

Going to run some tests later to double check this but if that's it I can adjust profiles accordingly

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Jestery posted:

I think I found the cause of my issues,

Printing too cool,

been trying to hit 80mm/a with a 0.6 nozzle at 0.2 layer heights, and that's starting to max out the volumetric speed of my printer at standard print temps.

I bumped the temps up to 225 for PLA printing and that seems to have solved my issues so far.

I'm glad/frustrated it was something so simple. But oh well.

Going to run some tests later to double check this but if that's it I can adjust profiles accordingly

Haha, I just encountered issues with almost exactly the same scenario today, with a spool of filament I grabbed on Amazon lightning deal a couple weeks ago. Slic3r has a volumetric speed cap option so I cut myself off at 16 of whatever unit that is, which prints fine.

Maybe I'll tweak it later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Cross posting from the Raspberry Pi thread:

bolind posted:

I heard this thread likes Raspberry Pis.

So do I (well, my company):

Mix in a bit of 3D printing...

Some off-the-shelf hardware...

Assemble...

Add one (1) surplus 19" PoE switch... (sorry about the shite image quality - not much light in the server room)

And you have yourself a fairly decent 3U collection of remotely power cyclable ARM linux nodes on which you can do TOP SECRET stuff.