Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

When it mentioned bags of cash I thought it was an exaggeration not real

https://mobile.twitter.com/PhilipRucker/status/1085879108221861888

This is Looney Tunes level of slapstick incompetent criminal activity :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

OctaMurk posted:

How was Kavanaugh an own goal? He got confirmed.

From the mid term data, women in general went HARD across the board to the left after Kavanaugh

Like a lot of young women may have written off the GOP entirely

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

The cracks are starting to show in the facade :getin:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Rudy is the greatest Method Actor of our time. A complete loving sycophant enabler that will force himself to believe he is a shoe if it somehow exonerates donald.

C411
Jun 22, 2004
STUPID
DICK
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1085915768003256321

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Yep, gonna be one of those days.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/JohnDingell/status/1085911744881586176?s=19

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the president is so loving stupid.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

From the mid term data, women in general went HARD across the board to the left after Kavanaugh

It's still a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court. Hardly a self own.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Notice how Pelosi spent the last 24 hours dunking on him but Trump chooses to go after Schumer. Shook.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Is it possible Michael Cohen is the rat that’s going to bring down this entire criminal enterprise?

It is hard to keep track of everything going on in the case (actually, the cases), but from following it for almost two years, I would say there is nothing so theatrical as a single informer or witness who will change the entire course of this investigation.

The interlocking investigations (campaign collusion, money laundering, obstruction of justice, etc) are mostly white collar criminal cases, which means that the main work is being done by lawyers and accountants going over literally millions of pages of documents, seeing where money came from and where it went. Even in the type of organization where money is being paid out in Wal-Mart bags full of cash (and a mismatched MMA boxing glove), there is going to be a gigantic documentary and e-Mail trail. So I don't think there is a single keystone figure. We also don't know, from what is publicly available, which one of the 4 main cooperating witnesses, Flynn, Cohen, Gates or Manafort(as much as his cooperation helped), gave the most new information, or whether there are other people who have given even more information.

While I appreciate the entire idea of Michael Cohen telling Mueller "All the documents can be found in a locked safe in a warehouse in the waterfront", it is more likely it is just forensic accounts in offices looking over papers, page by page.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
If he lasts out his term and is voted out, can you imagine how much he won't shut up from November 3, 2020 to January 20, 2021?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

If he lasts out his term and is voted out, can you imagine how much he won't shut up from November 3, 2020 to January 20, 2021?

I can’t imagine he lasts until then.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Notice how Pelosi spent the last 24 hours dunking on him but Trump chooses to go after Schumer. Shook.

Schumer has had a history of caving at the slightest blast of AC. But I guess even decorum has its limits when you finally realize he won't ever give you a goddamn thing in return.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yep, gonna be one of those days.

Get pumped for some bad tweets baby, Donnie got a bag of his favorite thing (and it isn’t McDonald’s). :sniff:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
So funny to watch something that clearly makes me extremely angry.

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

i dunno how people fall for such obviously fake stories. it's not solely a right wing thing - there was a twitter thread yesterday where someone told the story a female project manager told off a bernie bro coworker and it was incredibly shitthatdidnthappen.txt but the replies were all oh man that's so awesome. good for her! poo poo like that.

When the internet became widely used everyone instantly forgot that 95% of what you read is trolling or lies. I don't care about purges or algorithms or whatever security is in place, most of youtube accounts are fake and stupid, and forget about twitter and facebook. Every major corporation knows you need an engaged and human moderation team to have a semblance of meaningful discussion. The only exceptions are the tech lord libertarian shitheads of silicone valley who actually created the supposed public squares we have to encounter every day. They decided we have to live in a libertarian hellscape wild west. We will look back on this era of the internet the way we now look back on the eras of colonization. It's evil companies and government entities and Nazis who know how to lie battling in a lawless area on who can inflict the most misery on the greatest number of people for the largest profit margins.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

I had this exact same experience last week watching a public meeting for a federal agency on a work computer that does not otherwise go to YouTube. What the gently caress is wrong with YouTube?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

What even brought Schumer up today? I feel like I haven't heard much from him in a while.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Crabtree posted:

Schumer has had a history of caving at the slightest blast of AC. But I guess even decorum has its limits when you finally realize he won't ever give you a goddamn thing in return.

He’s not a good guy but he’s no longer defending 6 red state Dems and now has Pelosi in power. The situation has changed.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nail Rat posted:

More like until his eventual coronary on the toilet. Whichever comes sooner. And even then his dumbass kids will still have an audience even if they're in jail.

Oh and the whole menagerie of judges, government officials, and various talking heads that aren't necessarily going away anytime soon

Captain Snaps
Jul 27, 2003

Maintol!

OctaMurk posted:

It's still a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court. Hardly a self own.

The thinking is that they have made themselves a whole lot less likely to seat any other justices in the future. Short term gains at the expense of the long term game.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I strongly suspect that Trump literally doesn't comprehend that Pelosi is the one in charge. He's that misogynist. He thinks Schumer is the one he's negotiating with and Pelosi is a subordinate.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Captain Snaps posted:

The thinking is that they have made themselves a whole lot less likely to seat any other justices in the future. Short term gains at the expense of the long term game.

They already have SC control for the next generation, my dude

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I strongly suspect that Trump literally doesn't comprehend that Pelosi is the one in charge. He's that misogynist. He thinks Schumer is the one he's negotiating with and Pelosi is a subordinate.

Good point.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Unponderable posted:

I had this exact same experience last week watching a public meeting for a federal agency on a work computer that does not otherwise go to YouTube. What the gently caress is wrong with YouTube?

something is badly hosed with their algorithm. i watch mostly documentaries and left wing content on youtube and my sidebar is still all mouthbreather poo poo.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

A generation? If Dems retake power in 2020 we’re one Thomas heart beat away from regaining control.

Captain Snaps
Jul 27, 2003

Maintol!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Not arguing, just explaining the own-goal logic.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I think that's also why Pelosi hasn't gotten a nickname yet, why he keeps speaking over her in meetings, etc. It's simply not even registering with him that there is a woman in a position of co-equal power who can tell him flatly "no."

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Crabtree posted:

Rudy is the greatest Method Actor of our time. A complete loving sycophant enabler that will force himself to believe he is a shoe if it somehow exonerates donald.

I feel it is exponentially more likely he's an idiot.

Trump doesn't care that hundreds of thousands of people aren't getting paid and can't afford food or rent. In fact, he thinks it's funny.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Is he having a senior moment? I wonder if he knows when it currently is.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ReidRansom posted:

Is he having a senior moment? I wonder if he knows when it currently is.

there's a decent chance he does not

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

Any Trump nominee was getting confirmed and would probably rule as badly as any other but they went with the one that was the most obviously scum because Trump thinks (maybe correctly) that he'll say Presidents, current and former, are immune from all laws. The optics of that confirmation were terrible and hopefully works to gently caress with the legitimacy of the SCOTUS where we are told by legal dorks they are impartial God's ruling purely on sound legal theory.

When Scalia died there were so many legal blog posts offended that people would see him as a turd who made up arguments in order to rule based on his own personal ideology when everyone else knew exactly what he was doing.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 17, 2019

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

A generation? If Dems retake power in 2020 we’re one Thomas heart beat away from regaining control.

I think it's pretty optimistic that RBG is still a justice at that point.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

This is definitely the case. And Trump has literally no understanding of how the government works so even if he wasn't inclined to tell Pelosi to get some fast food while the men do some negotiating, he still would likely think that the senate was the one driving things.

I think that's also why Pelosi hasn't gotten a nickname yet, why he keeps speaking over her in meetings, etc. It's simply not even registering with him that there is a woman in a position of co-equal power who can tell him flatly "no."

Remember how he handled negotiations with Angela Merkel? He really doesn't comprehend the concept of women with authority.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 17, 2019

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That requires:

a) Ginsberg surviving another two years (she's 85 and has had multiple surgeries just last year, she may be strong but the odds are against her)
b) Dems gain control of the Senate (very low chance)
c) Thomas dying after Dems gain control

You're basically counting on the perfect alignment of the stars.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/JoeNeguse/status/1085307371356913665

It appears that the march on turtle was organized by this guy. Anyone know anything about him? He is another first termer from Colorado!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm as cynical as the next person but i thought kavanaugh was toast. even the chapo boys who are the most cynical of all thought he;d been sunk. jesus christ did that suck so much.

Radish posted:

When Scalia died there were so many legal blog posts offended that people would see him as a turd who made up arguments in order to rule based on his own personal ideology when everyone else knew exactly what he was doing.

long before his insane doppelganger theory, ed whelan blocked me on twitter after i told him scalia was an unserious goon.

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

Triskelli posted:

“Where on the Hill is Senator Mitch McConnell” does match the right number of syllables.

Well, he came into this world in Sheffield, Alabama
He's a geriatric turtle representing Kentucky
He'll keep it all closed down for President Scammer
Tell me, where on the Hill is Senator Mitch McConnell?

...it might need some work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

That requires:

a) Ginsberg surviving another two years (she's 85 and has had multiple surgeries just last year, she may be strong but the odds are against her)
b) Dems gain control of the Senate (very low chance)
c) Thomas dying after Dems gain control

You're basically counting on the perfect alignment of the stars.

Dems gaining control of the Senate in 2020 is not a very low chance. Nothing to defend and a bunch of pickups available.