Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Opinions on the Pioneer XDJ-RX2? I'm tired of lugging my CDJs everywhere and looking for an all-in-one solution.

I've had one for almost a year and use around ~15 hours a week. Never frozen or let me down it's very solid. Feels just like the DJM mixers, and buttons / pitch, color screen the same as the CDJs. Huge difference in the jogs obviously but I only use for pitch bend, maybe if you really practiced you could scratch well on it. The track filter, key recommends, search and sort functions are useful and powerful. Anything you want specific let me know, I would recommend especially comparing cost to a "real" CDJ/DJM setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

TheWevel posted:

I think people have moved on emotionally from Technics. Technics is like an ex that never goes away and still wants to hookup like 5 years later.

Yeah but she still fucks and sometimes it's nice to get that old familiar feeling. Like a leather glove you haven't worn in a while.
I'll admit I'm curious about this new motor, but at the same time I'm so used to the previous models feel that it might not be a good thing.
One of the things I enjoy so much about the SL-1200 is how familiar I am with it inside and out. I've rebuilt a bunch, so if there's ever a problem, I know I can fix it. Plus parts are usually plentiful and sometimes downright cheap.

Update on the Denon poo poo, I had to call out sick today and tomorrow. It's sitting at my desk waiting for me. I AM SO STOKED.
Speaking of TT's and denon, has anyone had the pleasure of trying out Denon's DJ VL12? I can't find anyplace even remotely close to me that has them in stock, let alone has demo units.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Virgil Vox posted:

I would recommend especially comparing cost to a "real" CDJ/DJM setup.

This is the reason why I moved from my 'babby's first' CDJ350/DJM250 setup. I wanted multiple hot cue points at the very least and at the time those were only on the CDJ1000 upwards and then only 3 cues which is no fun for pissing around with beats. CDJ2000 had 4 hot cues and retailed for £2k. it was a no brainer to grab a controller and a laptop to run it for less than the price of a single CDJ with a decent amount of features.

Remember when people looked down on controller DJs? Let me just spend 3x what I need to get less features... :rolleyes:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'll admit I'm curious about this new motor, but at the same time I'm so used to the previous models feel that it might not be a good thing.

Didn't they update the motor with the MK5 as well? I honestly can't remember but that sounds familiar. (if so, I haven't noticed a difference between the M3D and the MK5

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Remember when people looked down on controller DJs? Let me just spend 3x what I need to get less features... :rolleyes:

A whole lot still do, and not just online. Any DJ I've met or hung with in Chicago who actually does gigs has a hard on for putting down anyone that doesn't have a nexus setup. The one time I mentioned I liked my RX I was told by a guy with 900 nxs that its "no better than a Hercules controller" :lol:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It'll be fun to watch the mental gymnastics when the next Nexus players look and feel like the 1/3 of a DDJ-1000 mixed with a SC5000 but cost three grand apiece.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Meh. I think a big part of the Pioneer setup elitism/looking down on controller DJs is that it follows the assumption that you're using sync if you bring a laptop (which I also don't care about).

It's interesting how the trend is with certain scenes - I go out to a lot of local D&B events and I don't think I've seen a controller or a laptop at one in at least a few years, but the arcade bar I work in that does synthwave nights is always full of Traktor S4s (that's also a function of how small the booth is though). One of the local D&B venues has a set of CDJ850s, which are a pain to play on, but I still find it funny that a buddy always brings his XDJs whenever he plays there because they're easier to navigate.

The only time I really find myself groaning and writing off laptop DJs is when they're abusing the effects. There was a guy playing one of the synthwave/electro nights that practically played an entire Justice album, barely mixing, and he was on the Beat Repeat all day like Skrillex circa 2011. "I remember my first DJ set."

You're right that the Pioneer gear is so limiting that it's almost backwards, but I still think it's valuable to have a knowledge of the workflow - which is why the Pioneer controllers are so appealing. You don't want to be the one guy who unplugs a CDJ for an hour-long controller set, in certain scenes that's a bad move. There's also something more rewarding about how limiting they are, not having a qwerty keyboard and all your plists visible in a sidebar to search for every last tune forces more diligent plist organization.

I love my CDJs and I'm glad I made the switch, they're just a lot more satisfying to play on. But as someone who doesn't drive, I'm done lugging them places. The XDJ-RX2 looks like exactly what I need - no laptop no problem.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 10, 2019

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
HEYYYYYYYYYY YOUUUUUUUU GUYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYS!

Just got my SC5000 and x1800
I think I might return the SC5000. It was already opened and looked repackaged. I don't trust it. Something smells fishy.
I've heard horror stories of people being sold refurbished or returned items as NEW from guitar center before.
I mean if everything is included and works then I guess it's fine... But really it's a matter of principal. If the poo poo is a return then sell it as one.
I don't want to pay full price to get someone's sloppy seconds.

The mixer is fine though. Came in the factory shipping box and everything.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Does anybody know of a power amp with ~200 watt that does XLR in and has a line or subwoofer out?

EDIT: NM apparently you can piggyback off most power amps that have TRS and XLR.

So new question: anybody know of a good cheap power amp? I found a Crown unit for $250 that will do what I need.

Also I noticed I get a little bit of hum back on my speakers when connecting my sub. Is there some sort of diode I can place on this RCA cable to prevent any backfeeding? I don't want to switch to XLR only get noise back because of my subwoofer connection.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 12, 2019

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Denon teased a few images today, and insiders are confirming it's a 4 channel, full size jog wheel prime controller that's standalone using the same prime engine as the sc5000s, basically an RX2 + DDJ-1000 on steroids. If this thing is under $1500 I'm selling my RX and it's a day 1 purchase.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Fenarisk posted:

Denon teased a few images today, and insiders are confirming it's a 4 channel, full size jog wheel prime controller that's standalone using the same prime engine as the sc5000s, basically an RX2 + DDJ-1000 on steroids. If this thing is under $1500 I'm selling my RX and it's a day 1 purchase.

Are you talking about the MCX8000? Where are you seeing this information? I just pulled the trigger on an XDJ-RX2 but might cancel the order if this sounds sweet enough.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

If the jogwheels spin like a deck then I'm interested, kinda wanna go hybrid vinyl setup.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Don't know if this has been posted before but this is a really cool video from Rane featuring DJ Jazzy Jeff. Seeing him get excited over a new piece of technology is pretty cool since he has been doing this for decades now. These are essentially trying to emulate the sound of vinyl without any of the complications associated with turntables and needles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK_ATzpPzKM

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

Are you talking about the MCX8000? Where are you seeing this information? I just pulled the trigger on an XDJ-RX2 but might cancel the order if this sounds sweet enough.

It's been all over digital dj tips and dj tech tools the last two days since the teasers.

One of the dj tech tools guys mentioned the embargo on info sucks because he stated between denon and pioneer, huge things are coming to namm.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

MrSargent posted:

Don't know if this has been posted before but this is a really cool video from Rane featuring DJ Jazzy Jeff. Seeing him get excited over a new piece of technology is pretty cool since he has been doing this for decades now. These are essentially trying to emulate the sound of vinyl without any of the complications associated with turntables and needles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK_ATzpPzKM

Yeah, like 3 pages or so ago. You actually quoted the same video.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

TheWevel posted:

Yeah, like 3 pages or so ago. You actually quoted the same video.

Lol. This is embarrassing. Olympic Mathlete's post reminded me about it and I thought I saw it on reddit.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Phase just got delayed for like the 4th time, March is the release date now. It’s cool technology but I’d wait until it was a bit more mature.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

qirex posted:

Phase just got delayed for like the 4th time, March is the release date now. It’s cool technology but I’d wait until it was a bit more mature.

I dropped my preorder after the first delay. They tried to negotiate with me about it, saying that everything is fine. I said I'd wait until final production is done and units are being reviewed first.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Fenarisk posted:

It's been all over digital dj tips and dj tech tools the last two days since the teasers.

One of the dj tech tools guys mentioned the embargo on info sucks because he stated between denon and pioneer, huge things are coming to namm.

Since you seem to love posting but hate linking, this appears to be what Fenarisk is talking about for anyone else interested.

Depending on how tasty Pioneer's counter-offer is when NAMM comes (fingers crossed it's an XDJ-RX4) I might trade up the RX2.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 15, 2019

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

MrSargent posted:

Lol. This is embarrassing. Olympic Mathlete's post reminded me about it and I thought I saw it on reddit.

To be fair I forgot about that too... haha.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2EzYRUgNX0

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Craze is the poo poo. Interesting that Serato managed to lure him away from NI.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

HEYYYYYYYYYY YOUUUUUUUU GUYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYS!

Just got my SC5000 and x1800
I think I might return the SC5000. It was already opened and looked repackaged. I don't trust it. Something smells fishy.
I've heard horror stories of people being sold refurbished or returned items as NEW from guitar center before.
I mean if everything is included and works then I guess it's fine... But really it's a matter of principal. If the poo poo is a return then sell it as one.
I don't want to pay full price to get someone's sloppy seconds.

The mixer is fine though. Came in the factory shipping box and everything.

Update: I returned the SC5000 for store credit. I watched someone elses unboxing video and there was clearly poo poo missing from mine so gently caress Guitar Center.
I kept the x1800 though, and the other SC5000 is on backorder until who the gently caress knows when. I'm debating on just ordering an SC5000 from Sweetwater instead and using that GC store credit on some new monitors and a used TR8s

I'm just gonna go all-vinyl in the meantime. Recommend me some good slipmats.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

DJ Scratch said he uses Technics slipmats and from this video, they look like they have about as much friction as ice covered in baby oil.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Br8Q7RwAgCu/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=pak5xgjy2of9

He is using heavily modified Technics turntables, but still.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Update: I returned the SC5000 for store credit. I watched someone elses unboxing video and there was clearly poo poo missing from mine so gently caress Guitar Center.
I kept the x1800 though, and the other SC5000 is on backorder until who the gently caress knows when. I'm debating on just ordering an SC5000 from Sweetwater instead and using that GC store credit on some new monitors and a used TR8s

I use the Dr Suzuki mix edition slipmats, they are great

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I liked Butter Rugs but part of that is being a ISP/Bay Area homer. They're really thin compared to felt so you'll have to set your counterbalance a little heavier.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sorry to double post but this just popped up:

10" touchscreen
4 USB, SD slot and internal 2.5" drive bay
smaller jogs but same screen in the middle
$1699

a bunch more stuff here
https://djtechtools.com/2019/01/17/prime-4-details-of-denon-djs-new-1699-4-deck-standalone/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk8uIIPwOCw

qirex fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 17, 2019

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Kull wahad!!!

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Here's the official vid: https://youtu.be/Sk8uIIPwOCw

Personally disappointed. Still tiny jogs, vertical wave forms (ugh), FX at the top despite a push for similarity to mixer layouts, and a screen that's bound to snap and also never fit into a case well or safely. All they had to do was make a standalone ddj 1000 based off the prime platform and we get this ugly rear end thing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

qirex posted:

Sorry to double post but this just popped up:

10" touchscreen
4 USB, SD slot and internal 2.5" drive bay
smaller jogs but same screen in the middle
$1699

a bunch more stuff here
https://djtechtools.com/2019/01/17/prime-4-details-of-denon-djs-new-1699-4-deck-standalone/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk8uIIPwOCw

The dual zone feature is a weird thing to have on a dj controller (if you can even call it that?) but cool.
Imagine playing 2 different rooms of a club simultaneously!

All in all, this is a VERY compelling piece of hardware, and now I'm having a hard time justifying not returning that prime x1800 and canceling my sc5000 backorder. Prime 4 looks slightly more capable than the sc5000 particularly in the library management area. Making playlists and crates on the touchscreen is pretty cool for sure.

I would say that if it handled DVS well then it would be unstoppable, but considering how easy it is to switch layers on the sc5000 I don't even see a need unless you're scratching on the turntables while playing tracks on the controller decks, OR you need a static setup that can accommodate both turntablists and dj's.

Overall I like the layout of the performance pads on the Prime 4 better than the sc5000. The 2 rows of 4 larger pads is much more performance friendly than one row of 8 crammed together.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I kept waiting for them to show the screen tucking away somehow but nope, it sits over the edge of the case. I think if this does OK there's a chance for an even larger one with full size jogs, but I think that would probably approach the cost of an actual SC5000/X1800 setup anyway and be way more of a pain to ship and service.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Between the HDD slot and the second zone that thing looks like a great workhorse for mobile DJs.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, now that my erection has subsided and enough blood is back in my brain (between the Denon controller and this), I'm less enthused about it. You guys make some salient points, especially about that giant screen. The knobs also look a bit flimsy.

No doubt Pioneer has anticipated this move and is cooking up some sort of XDJ-RX4 as well. At least I hope.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Here's a full 15 minute walkthrough video.

https://youtu.be/wew1uz1jqLE

Definitely a powerful piece of hardware with tons of QOL features but I'm still heavily on the fence.

The sad part is I know Pioneer sure as hell isn't gonna have something as cool at namm with a better layout, they dont give a gently caress and are always behind the curve because they can be. As much as I would like a standalone xdj 1000 style controller I doubt it considering the rx2 isnt even a year old. They would also simultaneously piss off rx2 AND ddj 1000 users who bought those.

But who knows maybe there'll be an ultimate standalone RZ and I can work myself to death to afford it.

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 17, 2019

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd guess if Pioneer has anything soon it'll be a new CDJ/XDJ player with the center screen from the DDJ-1000 and performance pads. That said if they want pads they'll have to make the jog wheel smaller which is why I'd guess this will be more of an XDJ-1000 mk3 and not a Nexus player.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
So how the gently caress do I find out what hardware is in the Prime 4 and SC5000?
There's no spec sheets I can find anywhere.
I'm talking about things like what DAC is in it, what processor it uses, etc... Some rando in an amazon review said the sc5000 has an i5 but I can't find any documentation to support that.
I wanna know if this thing really runs x86-64 architecture (presumable intel x64 if it's an i5) and if Denon actually wrote their own OS or if this just piggybacks off of something like windows embedded or some linux flavor.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 17, 2019

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Denon has the main prime 4 page up with specs but is a nightmare on a phone trying to view it and the terrible layout with videos, if you can check it out at home maybe it's on there?

All I could find out is its 22 pounds and denon says no horizontal wave forms but MAYBE in a future software update.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Fenarisk posted:

Denon has the main prime 4 page up with specs but is a nightmare on a phone trying to view it and the terrible layout with videos, if you can check it out at home maybe it's on there?

All I could find out is its 22 pounds and denon says no horizontal wave forms but MAYBE in a future software update.

Oh I looked. Believe me I've looked. There's a bunch of performance specs, but nothing about the hardware behind it. So it says that it does 24bit sound, but doesn't tell you what the soundcard technology is or what DAC it's using etc...
There's nothing lsted for computational power, just file types supported :shrug:

Also, have you guys seen the new Push controllerAkai Force?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipjQjJd5ERk

Edit: my mind is racing trying to compare the Prime 4 with the SC5000. Here's my thoughts so far...

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

All in all, this is a VERY compelling piece of hardware, and now I'm having a hard time justifying not returning that prime x1800 and canceling my sc5000 backorder. Prime 4 looks slightly more capable than the sc5000 particularly in the library management area. Making playlists and crates on the touchscreen is pretty cool for sure.

Prime 4 advantages:
Can make playlists
Can view all 4 waveforms simultaneously (vertically) + Library. [I don't even know how to make the SC5000 show both layers' waveforms simultaneously]
Zone 2 out (great for sending on the fly playlists to another room while you mix)
PERFORMANCE PADS - have a proper size and layout it seems
Library browse buttons. Yeah you can use the touchscreen, but sometimes buttons are just easier.
RECORDING - the fact that the UI has a 4 main functions, and one of them is dedicated recording to any storage device (including currently playing one) is loving huge.

Prime 4 questions:
Can the effects be applied to the line/phono inputs? It says "Inputs are assignable for external media sources" but that's not 100% clear to me.
Can you assign multiple effects to multiple channels independently and simultaneously?

SC5000 advantages:
Really nice, mechanically tensioned, 8" jog wheel.
Individual screens for each deck make library navigation of one channel possible while monitoring the other channel.

x1800 advantages:
The effects seem a bit more comprehensive.
WAY more inputs and much easier to switch between them. I could switch between a CDJ, the sc5000, and a turntable all on a single channel.
Disadvantages:
Seriously though how do you not have balanced outs for both Booth and Master outputs? I know that seems sorta petty but drat.

qirex posted:

DACs are basically a solved problem, I'd imagine they're just using whatever is in the rest of their pro gear. What impacts the sound is the processing algorithms they use more than CPU horsepower, I mean an iPhone can do 4 tracks of audio with effects and realtime video in djay, hardware specs aren't going to tell you how it sounds.

That Akai thing looks super fun and if I was dumb I'd buy one as a toy.
I'm not saying it matters what DAC is in there. I'm really more curious than anything.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 18, 2019

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

DACs are basically a solved problem, I'd imagine they're just using whatever is in the rest of their pro gear. What impacts the sound is the processing algorithms they use more than CPU horsepower, I mean an iPhone can do 4 tracks of audio with effects and realtime video in djay, hardware specs aren't going to tell you how it sounds.

That Akai thing looks super fun and if I was dumb I'd buy one as a toy.

qirex fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Counterpoint to Gnarly:

Denon gear is also ugly as sin, I wish they could get good designers so it doesn't look like a Hercules controller on steroids.

I'm not a fanboy for any one company, but when a white or even gaudy gold skin on a pioneer player still looks better there's a problem with the visual appeal of your product, even the metal jogs look like plastic with the dumb fins.

That being said I still think the Prime 4 is a good start, I could see a Prime 4X or whatever is next being really good.

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 18, 2019